Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2011 5:26:10 AM EDT
Hello all. I just bought my first AR this week and it is a DPMS mid-length Recon. After doing a lot of shopping, this was the best bang for my buck as it already had front/rear sights, Magpul stock and grip, and a full quad for under $1K. I am an avid gun entusiast and have been collecting guns for awile now, but know nothing about ARs other than the fact that I have always wanted one. Does anyone know anything about this particular rifle? DPMS in general? What ammo is the best to shoot for this rifle without breaking the bank? The break-in process looks to be pretty time-consuming with cleaning the barrel every round for the first 25 and then every 10 up to 100. How critical is this for performance? For the most part I will only be shooting targets with an occasional varmint hunt.

Any info/suggestions anyone has are much appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats! I have many DPMS rifles and parts...they work as intended for me.  Break in?  I believe in a real good initial cleaning and lube and shoot it.  The clean after every shot thing isn't my style, nor do I believe it greatly improves accuracy.  Many barrels have been ruined by too frequent and improper cleaning methods.  Buy ammo and mags and shoot as much as you can!  Ammo? well what ever is cheapest that your gun runs on for plinking. 5.56 pressure for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
HI
Welcome!  I have a DPMS Lo-Pro Classic.  Decent little gun.  Certainly no BCM, but not bad either.  Best advice is buy ammo and enjoy it.......good luck
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a very strict break in process.  I load up all my magazines, shoot the hell out of my rifle then put it back in the safe... then repeat
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
this thread must be a lie.. i see no pictures.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a very strict break in process.  I load up all my magazines, shoot the hell out of my rifle then put it back in the safe... then repeat

same... except i clean my rifle after every range trip...but thats just me
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the comments guys. I love the strict break-in process. I may just have to try that one...sounds right up my alley! As far as pictures, I will see if I can get a few posted later today.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top