Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2011 6:26:03 PM EDT
Can a stripped lower receiver be shipped to my house in FL?

I'm going to attempt to assemble my first AR-15 Carbine. I've found all the parts for it, with the exception of knowing whether or not a stripped receiver can be shipped to my house or if it would have to be shipped to a FFL. There's been no definite answer around the internet, I've looked.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Must not have looked very hard. There is a definite answer on the internet. It has to go through an FFL
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower has to go to an FFL, and you have to fill out a 4473 to get it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Must not have looked very hard. There is a definite answer on the internet. It has to go through an FFL

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily, OP didnt specify that the lower would be from a dealer or out of state. If I have a stripped lower in Florida. I can very well ship to the OP without going thru an FFL.

To the OP, we need more details as to where the lower is coming from. If its coming from a dealer instate or out, it has to go thru FFL, if its instate and coming from individual, it does NOT have to go thru FFL.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless you're a florida resident and find another florida resident, not an FFL, to do a private sale. And then ship through UPS or Fedex.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
To the first couple posts.....WRONG...........as per the BATF website under FAQ......if you are buying from an individual who resides in the same state, a firearm or lower can be shipped directly to you...a FFL is not necessary.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless it is a regulated firearm, then it STILL has to go thru an FFL.

Think about it, is it really that important that you would risk going to jail and losing your
gun rights forever to get a lower?????

Better to be safe than sorry
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Think about it, is it really that important that you would risk going to jail and losing your

You should take the time to educate yourself rather than argue.

It is absolutely legal for someone THAT RESIDES IN THE SAME STATE to sell it to him and ship it right to his house.

Go to BATFE website and read up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope you are 21, or the dealer won't sell it to you.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

wrong, we can ship long guns within state without ffl, individual to individual.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what I mean by no definite answer..
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There is a definate answer, as the posters above have said:

Out of state / dealer : FFL

In-state + Individual : Shipping is fine
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its very simple if your not 21 stop reading now..... if you are.

If you are buying from an individual that resides in FL that person can ship directly to you... if you are buying from any dealer or an individual out of state it has to be shipped to a FFL.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its very simple if your not 21 stop reading now..... if you are.

The only thing definitive in this thread is the misinformation.

Nothing in the law requires him to be 21 to buy/own a stripped lower.

The only restriction is an FFL cannot sell it to him, thus leaving many legal ways to obtain.

Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I understand. But it can be witnessed here that there was a bit of confusion amongst individuals. That is what I meant.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I will most likely just go to a Gun show and see if they have everything i need there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a definite answer, but you haven't given enough information for people to give that answer.

+1

OMG people, stop giving false information!

OP, from where/whom are you trying to buy the lower? An out of state dealer, in state dealer, out of state individual, or in state individual?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I understand. But it can be witnessed here that there was a bit of confusion amongst individuals. That is what I meant.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I will most likely just go to a Gun show and see if they have everything i need there.

YOU NEED TO GIVE US YOUR DETAILS IN ORDER TO HELP YOU
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Basically, I'm trying to buy a lower from wherever I can get it, preferably in Florida so I don't have to go through a FFL. I'm legally allowed to own it, no felonies, old enough, etc. And from what I've learned, buying it in-state from an individual is a lot less of a hassle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's selling a lower receiver in-state. I thought about buying it from this website: http://www.impactguns.com/store/892756002687.html

But that site doesn't give details as to whether it needs to be shipped to a FFL or not, which is why it's kind of sketchy. So maybe stopping by a gunshow isn't such a bad idea. But it would be really convenient just to have it delivered to my home.

What all details do you need? Try not to seem too angry, there's a first time for everything, and this is mine.

P.S. I have yet to find one official government website for Florida that states the laws about ownership and transfer of the specific parts that this kind of gun is comprised of. I've been looking and so has a friend, with no luck other than whats been stated on forums.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Basically, I'm trying to buy a lower from wherever I can get it, preferably in Florida so I don't have to go through a FFL. I'm legally allowed to own it, no felonies, old enough, etc. And from what I've learned, buying it in-state from an individual is a lot less of a hassle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's selling a lower receiver in-state. I thought about buying it from this website: http://www.impactguns.com/store/892756002687.html

But that site doesn't give details as to whether it needs to be shipped to a FFL or not, which is why it's kind of sketchy. So maybe stopping by a gunshow isn't such a bad idea. But it would be really convenient just to have it delivered to my home.

What all details do you need? Try not to seem too angry, there's a first time for everything, and this is mine.

That company is located in Utah, so they would have to ship to a FFL. In fact, being a dealer, they would
have to ship to a FFL even if they were located in your state.

If you click on "how to order" you will see this:

We will not ship firearms directly to you. They will be sent to your local FFL (Federal Firearms License) Dealer, who will then perform any background checks and paperwork required in your state/locality. We do not ship firearms to non-FFL holders. This is federal law. It is your responsibility to contact the FFL Dealer to make sure of their policies, procedures, and any applicable fees they might charge.

In this context a lower is considered a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It says in the 'contact us' info they only ship to FFL for guns, which the stripped lower is considered, in some fashion, a gun as it has the serial number on it.  

http://www.impactguns.com/store/contact_impact.html

Now, you could contact them and see if there is an FFL dealer near your home or place of work that would be convenient for you to stop by within a few days of them receiving it to do the paperwork.  They will charge a fee, usually, some more than others.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I've already sent them a message asking about it, but they won't reply until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Basically, I'm trying to buy a lower from wherever I can get it, preferably in Florida so I don't have to go through a FFL. I'm legally allowed to own it, no felonies, old enough, etc. And from what I've learned, buying it in-state from an individual is a lot less of a hassle. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who's selling a lower receiver in-state. I thought about buying it from this website: http://www.impactguns.com/store/892756002687.html Yes it needs to go through an FFL. Basically, any business selling serial numbered receivers/guns is (r legally should be) an FFL holder and therefore must ship to an FFL holder in your state of legal residence. If the FFL is in-state then you simply go to their store and buy it from them.

But that site doesn't give details as to whether it needs to be shipped to a FFL or not, which is why it's kind of sketchy. So maybe stopping by a gunshow isn't such a bad idea. But it would be really convenient just to have it delivered to my home. Frankly, I try to avoid gunshows because there are rarely better deals than I can find online and aren't the greatest source of info.

What all details do you need? Try not to seem too angry, there's a first time for everything, and this is mine. Sorry if we sound angry, I think most of us are more frustrated with the false info that was posted, some of which was due to not knowing where you wanted to buy your lower.

P.S. I have yet to find one official government website for Florida that states the laws about ownership and transfer of the specific parts that this kind of gun is comprised of. I've been looking and so has a friend, with no luck other than whats been stated on forums. It's not a Florida thing in this case, it's a federal thing. Typically, the part with the serial number is the receiver and what the ATF considers the actual firearm; In the case of ARs it's the lower receiver.

Is that clear now?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's what I'm trying to avoid. I've already sent them a message asking about it, but they won't reply until tomorrow.

Why are you trying to avoid going through an FFL? Just walk in, fill the gun registration harmless form out, and walk out with it. Otherwise, find a private FL resident to deal with. Check local classified ads.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#25]
So you would recommend getting in contact with an FFL and talk to them about getting the lower receiver since I can find a better deal online?

Do you know where you would order a lower receiver from? Obviously online, but is there any recommended sites, or ones I should stay away from?

And yes, much clearer, thanks.

And I'm avoiding it because I hate paying for background checks... And a long drive. I'm lazy sometimes, okay?
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So you would recommend getting in contact with an FFL and talk to them about getting the lower receiver since I can find a better deal online?

Do you know where you would order a lower receiver from? Obviously online, but is there any recommended sites, or ones I should stay away from?

And yes, much clearer, thanks.

And I'm avoiding it because I hate paying for background checks... And a long drive. I'm lazy sometimes, okay?

Correct, I would recommend buying your lower online unless you can get one locally for around $100 OTD. Depending where in FL you are you may be able to simply drive to Spike's Tactical in Apopka. The 20 sites up top are all great vendors. The best deals on lowers that I know of right now are Spike's lower from AIM for $80 shipped, Aero Precision lower from AIM for $60+s/h, or PSA lower from Palmetto State Armory for $65+s/h. I get local transfers for $15 which is really good but you shouldn't have much trouble finding a local FFL to do a transfer for $25 or less. I'd look/ask around in the FL hometown forum(HTF) for recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#27]
You'll pay at least $50 too much at a gunshow. Depending on the fee, it might be cheaper getting a spike's lower from aim versus directly from spikes, as you'd have to pay FL sales tax. +1 on checking the hometown forum. somebody in FL is probably stitting on a few spare lowers, just good luck getting us them to part with them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't know about Florida but at the gun shows here, everyone in the gun show makes you pay and go through a background check anyways. Most the tables I've seen here are FFL's trying to get their name out. Another suggestion for a stripped lower is you can actually get a stripped lower from www.ar15.com (yes this very site) from the online store. Haven't heard anything about them though.

The ones you'll find at gunshows are probably going to be marked up pretty decently as well. Easier to just buy online from one of the site sponsors.

EDIT: Whoa, the stripped lowers from the online store are a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

EDIT: Whoa, the stripped lowers from the online store are a bit pricey.

Yeah, you missed out on the $99 sale. I just put a 1" BFL decal on the magwell of my lowers so they're all arfcom lowers
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#30]
This has been answered, and is not an AR Technical discussion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top