Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2011 7:08:33 AM EDT
I have been hearing a lot of opinions about this and was wondering why people say it is bad? And I realize that the polymer Magpul sight will melt, I am not a total newbie to AR's but still don't quite agree with this popular opinion as I have had zero trouble in the past running this type of buis (front). Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Who says they are bad..Ive been running PRI front flip for years. Ive got it zero'd at 50yards and have never had any issue with it. It doesnt come loose and is always accurate.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
That's news to me; I use them and like them. The only caveat is that people need to be aware that some are made to mount at rail height (as is the MBUS*) while others are made a little taller specifically for a gas block mounting.

* Which also reportedly runs some risk of melting if mounted on a gas block.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm never heard of them being bad, other than the MBUS melting.  I have a gasblock with a built folding front sight, work just fine more me.  I get a little extra sight radius out of the deal too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Not so much the sight, but the railed gas blocks.  They're often aluminum, clamp on, and are short enough to prevent you from folding your front sight all the way down.  So you have to flip it around and fold it forward, which then sticks out forward of your gas block.  You're somewhat limited in options for flip sights meant for gas blocks, too, although Troy just released their version.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
They're not bad.  You just have to be sure you know what you're getting.  Certain sights are meant to mount to a handuard and will not properly align if mounted on a gas block.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been hearing a lot of opinions about this and was wondering why people say it is bad? And I realize that the polymer Magpul sight will melt, I am not a total newbie to AR's but still don't quite agree with this popular opinion as I have had zero trouble in the past running this type of buis (front). Anyone?

Who says its bad?  There is a lot of garbage and misinformation posted on this board, but I don't recall hearing this one.

I agree, whoever says they are bad is in error. I have several and they have been great for a long time now. Bad info abounds....<><....:)
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not so much the sight, but the railed gas blocks.  They're often aluminum, clamp on, and are short enough to prevent you from folding your front sight all the way down.  So you have to flip it around and fold it forward, which then sticks out forward of your gas block.  You're somewhat limited in options for flip sights meant for gas blocks, too, although Troy just released their version.

This...

I would go with a built-in if you want to have a flip-up gas block front sight. I had a YHM and it worked fine.

Personally I prefer a regular FSB over anything, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Magpul states on their site they are not for gas blocks because of heat and melting.

I want a set of sights for my R25 and thus far have struck out. That and a laser for close aiming from my tree stands.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a GG&G flip up gas block on one of my carbines. It works well and seems pretty durable, it will occasionally flip up  while I'm hunting so I would prefer it to be a little harder to flip up, on the other hand it gives me something to play with while looking for deer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've run a Troy front-flip up sight on my Bushmaster piston gas block for a long time and haven't had any problems with it. My gas block mount is also the same height as my rail and flat top, so it can use the standard "rail height" front sight.

Not sure why people think it's bad unless there's some advantage to having your sights free floated from the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like them generally, not because of the issues with the concept, but because many of the Railed GB's I see are crap, namely the aluminum DPMS and similar found on various "Optics Ready Carbines".  2 of the S&W ones I have seem had canted pinned on blocks.

On top of that I just would rather have a standard sight tower with a non free floated gun or an extended railed forearm of some sort on a free floated gun.   The railed GB seems to be half-assing it to me.  You have the expense of buying a good flip up without the real-estate, sight radius, possible increased accuracy potential, or extended gripping area of an extended forearm, and the lack of financial thriftiness and anvil-like durability of the stock sight tower.  But those are my preferences.  

Keep in mind that the preponderance of guns and uppers coming with railed gas blocks are look to be marketed to the budget buyer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I personally do not like the look of them.  If I'm putting on a folding front sight, I'd rather free float barrel and run a longer handguard to increase the sight radius.

I'd imagine there's some transfer of heat to the flip sight.  I would wonder that running drills would generate enough heat to burn your fingers if you transitioned to irons.

Most are not pinned they use set screws and I'd image that they'd be more prone to shifting than a standard FSB.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Gas block-mounted front sights are fine. If there is anything "bad" about them it is just that I think they look ugly and with my particular method of shooting I prefer a low-pro gas block and big long rail extended past it so I can get a grip further forward on the gun.

If that is not your shooting style and you don't mind the look (or even think they look good) then there is nothing inherently bad about them.

I would however, avoid any gas blocks, railed of otherwise that use a clamp or set screw method of mounting to the barrel. I just feel more comfortable if the gas block is taper pinned to the barrel. Less chance of it ever shifting anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with the YHM flipup sight/gas block on one of my builds.  it worked great...
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Other negative I can think of is weight. A railed gas block (especially a beefy one) with a flip up sight is going to weigh a good bit more than a standard FSB.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Nothing wrong with it at all.  The only drawback is that the sight can get very hot after repeated fire, something to remember when handling it.  This is a non issue to me since they are generally back up sights.  If used as a primary sight, it will be deployed anyway so there is no need to touch it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top