BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1177
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Cageylaw:
Good looking rifle, Blanco. Nice to see it together.
I noticed you're using PRi's straight top rail rather than their PEQ version. Could you confirm for me that it installs directly to the handguard without using the top picatinny rail like the PRi PEQ/ARMS does?

If so I'm kicking going this way and a PRi "target" tube to keep costs down somewhat. (Laid off and continuing a MK12 build makes for temporary concessions.)

Thanks! It's nice to have it together I just need to get the collar to stay tightened down.

My top rail installed directly to the handguard, I had to take off the short rail that was already on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
My top rail installed directly to the handguard, I had to take off the short rail that was already on the tube.

[Mr. Burns]Eeexcellent![/Mr. Burns]

Thanks. That's the way I'm going to go then.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
So I'm relatively new to precision shooting and I need to be schooled on ammo for a minute.  I've always just shot 55gr ammo and I know there's a big difference between that and heavier loads, such as the Mk262 77gr round.  Are you guys shooting the heavier loads exclusively in your '12s or are you switching back and forth between standard stuff, and is there a noticeable difference of POI shift between the two?

I know what to expect; I think I need to zero and shoot exclusively with Mk262 or something similar to really appreciate the capabilities of this rifle.

Link Posted: 9/30/2012 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Put some rounds through the Mk12 Mod0 today. It does NOT like Tula ammo at all. Going to get my Dillon set up tomorrow to load some 75gr ammo to get the scope sighted in. Or should I use 62gr M855 instead? I'm using a 1/7 twist barrel and a Nikon P-223 scope, by the way. The scope says it's calibrated for "55gr Polymer Tip" ammo, but I'd rather shoot something heavier.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t15/BlancoDiablo/DSCN4312.jpg

I used 855 to get on paper and then MK262 to fine tune the zero.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:18:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#5]
why would you shoot 855?

What kind of failures were you having with tula?

I think you already know that your scope is a very poor choice for your setup... A bdc reticle calibrated for 55gr

2500 dollar tack driver with 140 dollar glass.

Put some rounds through the Mk12 Mod0 today. It does NOT like Tula ammo at all. Going to get my Dillon set up tomorrow to load some 75gr ammo to get the scope sighted in. Or should I use 62gr M855 instead? I'm using a 1/7 twist barrel and a Nikon P-223 scope, by the way. The scope says it's calibrated for "55gr Polymer Tip" ammo, but I'd rather shoot something heavier.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
So I'm relatively new to precision shooting and I need to be schooled on ammo for a minute.  I've always just shot 55gr ammo and I know there's a big difference between that and heavier loads, such as the Mk262 77gr round.  Are you guys shooting the heavier loads exclusively in your '12s or are you switching back and forth between standard stuff, and is there a noticeable difference of POI shift between the two?

I know what to expect; I think I need to zero and shoot exclusively with Mk262 or something similar to really appreciate the capabilities of this rifle.

There is a big difference between 55 grain and 77 grain when it comes to poi shift.   I strictly shoot Blackhills 77 grain SMK  through the Mk12
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:06:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stickman] [#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WldWldWest] [#8]

the 1/7's usually want a heavier bullet and sometimes wont stabilize a lighter bullet.
Me I lucked out as both of mine shoot the 55 grainer's decent. POI is about 1/2 different from my 77gr.SMK handloads at 100yds, not enough to worry about.
I'm glad as I have a few 55gr's laying around.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By WldWldWest:

the 1/7's usually want a heavier bullet and sometimes wont stabilize a lighter bullet.

Me I lucked out as both of mine shoot the decent. POI is about 1/2 different from my 77gr.SMK handloads at 100yds, not enough to worry about.

Shit that's a lot of ammo!  So yeah I used a WOA 18" SPR with a 1:7 ratio so I reckon I should be shooting something heavier than 55gr.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pwr2al4:
why would you shoot 855?

I think you already know that your scope is a very poor choice for your setup... A bdc reticle calibrated for 55gr

I knooow After spending $2000 on the rifle, I just don't have the money to get a real good optic right now. I know that's not a good excuse. I just wanted to have SOME glass on there, and I figured Nikon would be halfway decent.

I was asking about 855 because I have around 1k heads lying around waiting to be loaded.

I was having failures to feed, double feeds, and failure to lock the bolt back/load the next round. No failures to eject, though. Didn't have any problems in my M4 or Mk18 Mod0, though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Ditch the Tula! If you have a Dillon there are a ton of loads that will let you use the mk12 to its full potential. Don't even bother with the m855, because of the steel core it's not very accurate.

The Nikon should work just fine, I wouldn't pay attention to the BDC or turrets calibrated for 55gr.  BDC's are never quite right anyway, if you want to use it you'll  have to test it with your load and workout your own holds.  Just use the turrets to dial the elevation like you would with any scope.  I used a $200 Vortex on mine until i found a deal on a Leupold 3.5-10x, it worked just fine. When you can aford the spec scope get it.

I feel the MK12 is as much about the mk262 as anything else. They were developed for each other,  you aren't going to see the full potential of one without the other.  There is nothing wrong with shooting 55gr, it will work just fine. Some posts quoting 1/7" as being too fast for 55gr is nonsense, I've yet to see any proof of 55gr ammo not working in a 1/7". I've shot thousands of rounds of 55gr ball in a variety of 1/7" with no problem.

I handload so using the heavy stuff is a no brainer. If I didn't, I think I'd save the mk262 for long range and use 55gr NATO for 100-200yds.  Hornady makes steel cased 75gr training ammo that may be worth a look, Black Hills has numerous other loads that are less expensive than the mk262 at ~$1ea.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Blades, we reload but we've only done about 500 rounds of 55gr in a three-stage progressive press.  My brother is a bit leery of doing heavier loads.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Blades, we reload but we've only done about 500 rounds of 55gr in a three-stage progressive press.  My brother is a bit leery of doing heavier loads.

Take it slow and pay attention to detail. I use a progressive also(dillon 550b) but weigh the powder charge when I load "match" ammo otherwise it's the same. Spend some time in the reloading forum, there is a welth of info there.

If I didn't handload there is no way I could aford to feed the MK12.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WldWldWest:

Me I lucked out as both of mine shoot the 55 grainer's decent. POI is about 1/2 different from my 77gr.SMK handloads at 100yds, not enough to worry about.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/WldWldWest/2012-03-31_18-37-29_858.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/WldWldWest/2012-08-26_16-01-57_234.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/WldWldWest/2011-11-19_15-03-50_632.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/WldWldWest/2011-11-19_19-00-45_971.jpg

Anyone else notice he has 37.5k rounds in that pic??
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS11C] [#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#16]
oops -slamfire-

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear ya, trust me I'm there myself. Didn't mean to come down on you or anything, just wanted to make the point that I think that anything you try to work up with that ammo/scope combo , especially with the lighter stuff like 55gr is not going to be nearly reflective what the barrel or the rest of the gun is actually capable of.
BDC's in general can either be the greatest things ever or a real pain in the neck depending on what your trying to do with the rifle.

I would definitely just ignore it completely on something like this. Even if you were using a a calibrated BDC like on some of the ACOG or Custom turrets or whatever, the external variables alone would be more than enough to act as a limiting factor in terms of accuracy from this type of gun.

why would you shoot 855?

I knooow After spending $2000 on the rifle, I just don't have the money to get a real good optic right now. I know that's not a good excuse. I just wanted to have SOME glass on there, and I figured Nikon would be halfway decent.

I was asking about 855 because I have around 1k heads lying around waiting to be loaded.

I was having failures to feed, double feeds, and failure to lock the bolt back/load the next round. No failures to eject, though. Didn't have any problems in my M4 or Mk18 Mod0, though.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I hear ya, trust me I'm there myself. Didn't mean to come down on you or anything, just wanted to make the point that I think that anything you try to work up with that ammo/scope combo , especially with the lighter stuff like 55gr is not going to be nearly reflective what the barrel or the rest of the gun is actually capable of.

BDC's in general can either be the greatest things ever or a real pain in the neck depending on what your trying to do with the rifle.

I would definitely just ignore it completely on something like this. Even if you were using a a calibrated BDC like on some of the ACOG or Custom turrets or whatever, the external variables alone would be more than enough to act as a limiting factor in terms of accuracy from this type of gun.
why would you shoot 855?

Nikon offers a ballistics calculator called spot on that allows you to input bullet weight and what not to help calibrate their BDC 600 when not using 55 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay so I'm getting my Dillon set up..going to be loading 75gr HPBT Prvi Partizan heads with BLC2 powder. What powder charge should I be using? How about for 62gr M855 or 55gr M193?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LongBow12] [#20]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Nikon offers a ballistics calculator called spot on that allows you to input bullet weight and what not to help calibrate their BDC 600 when not using 55 grain ammo.

I use the NB calculator for droid, it will give you the exact elevation clicks for POA in 1/8-1/2 MOA based off of the exact load your using...it was a free download and has yet to be wrong...now, just need to find one of those weapon mounting kits for my evo

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By LongBow12:

I use the NB calculator for droid, it will give you the exact elevation clicks for POA in 1/8-1/2 MOA based off of the exact load your using...it was a free download and has yet to be wrong...now, just need to find one of those weapon mounting kits for my evo

What's the "NB" stand for so I can find and download it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]
UTAH, mine will handle 193 and 855, but it absolutely eats 75's and 77's but from 75-120yds you can still 10 ring with any of 'em.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

I just typed in "Nikon Ballistics" and it was the first result.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Take it slow and pay attention to detail. I use a progressive also(dillon 550b) but weigh the powder charge when I load "match" ammo otherwise it's the same. Spend some time in the reloading forum, there is a welth of info there.

If I didn't handload there is no way I could aford to feed the MK12.

Aint that the truth!  Even handloading with the 77gr SMK gets a bit pricy, but nowhere near as much as buying factory ammo.  Mine seems to like 75gr TAP FPD reasonably well.  Haven't really tried the other Black Hills offerings, but Mk262 is 1.5 - 2 MOA in mine with me behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Just finished my SPR build, for those of you who are using an adjustable stock what weight buffer are you using?
Thanks

PS - I will have pics up this afternoon or tomorrow  
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By chondroguy1998:
Just finished my SPR build, for those of you who are using an adjustable stock what weight buffer are you using?
Thanks

PS - I will have pics up this afternoon or tomorrow  

I used an H buffer and it worked fine with my setup (Mk12 Mod1 rifle length gas) was able to cycle 55gr XM193 up to 77gr SMK
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 10:40:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#28]

Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:
Aint that the truth!  Even handloading with the 77gr SMK gets a bit pricy, but nowhere near as much as buying factory ammo.  Mine seems to like 75gr TAP FPD reasonably well.  Haven't really tried the other Black Hills offerings, but Mk262 is 1.5 - 2 MOA in mine with me behind the trigger.
Right there with you FAB, 75gr TAP has been good and 75gr steel match surprised the shit out me. The last time I was in bass pro, they had it for $24 per 50 and academy had a fresh shipment on the floor, no price though. A local LE distributor was selling Fed.l 77gr gold medal SMK's for $17.99/20. Needless to say, I bought all of 'em until the price doubled.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Okay so I'm getting my Dillon set up..going to be loading 75gr HPBT Prvi Partizan heads with BLC2 powder. What powder charge should I be using? How about for 62gr M855 or 55gr M193?

Anyone? Bueller?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#30]

Anyone? Bueller?

People are going to be reluctant to give you load data because every rifle is a little different. We dont know what chamber your rifle has, what brass you are using, primers, etc. The standard answer is to get some good published load data, start low, and work up. Easiest place to start is with a good manual, if you don't have one(you should have atleast 1) go to the powder or bullet makers website and see what they have. I know Hodgdon has load data on their website.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: locobob68] [#31]
I finally bought myself a chronograph and gathered some data with my HCS MK12 Mod1 the other day.

...................................................Avg. velocity................ES.................SD
Federal M855 5.56mm.....................3066......................38.07.............11.91
BH Reman 77gr .223........................2598.....................104.1.............33.22                      
BH Red box 77gr. 5.56mm...............2758.....................29.62..............9.84

I was rather surprised by the difference in both velocity and consistency of the two Black Hills loads.
Interestingly they both maintain about 1 MOA out of my gun
The M855 was very consistent, better than I would have thought - only good for about 2 MOA though.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Anyone? Bueller?

People are going to be reluctant to give you load data because every rifle is a little different. We dont know what chamber your rifle has, what brass you are using, primers, etc. The standard answer is to get some good published load data, start low, and work up. Easiest place to start is with a good manual, if you don't have one(you should have atleast 1) go to the powder or bullet makers website and see what they have. I know Hodgdon has load data on their website.

Good point. My book (and Hodgdon's site) both say to start at 23.0gr and work up. Need to get a chronograph though
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I love this rifle.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-180] [#34]
Nice rifles.  

I'll move my imposter to a different thread.  

You guys should post some groups in the MOA all day thread.  Surely, these spec rifles shoot as great as they look.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AR-180:
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y444/AR-180/Challenge2004_zps5b591690.jpg

Here is my SPRish rifle.  

I don't like all the blast from the break.  What other would people recommend?  

Also, what collapsible stock do people prefer for use with a sand sock?

Uh oh.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

Here is my SPRish rifle.  

Uh oh.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Here is my SPRish rifle.  

I do believe this is the place you were looking for....

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Already posted... check the scoreboard!
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#39]
On an unrelated note, I love my OPS INC 12th even on an SBR

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Took the Mk12 and friends out today for some pre-hunting season fun.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#41]

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/766/dsc1518y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/9095/dsc1519q.jpg

[sigh]  I really NEED to put my 3 Mk12s together. I have everything but the stripped lowers, and the suppressor and optics...

I think 5 years of looking at everybody else's is long enough.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By gunnut003:

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/766/dsc1518y.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/9095/dsc1519q.jpg

[sigh]  I really NEED to put my 3 Mk12s together. I have everything but the stripped lowers, and the suppressor and optics...

I think 5 years of looking at everybody else's is long enough.

Good lord man, slap yourself.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Here we go again...
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Just put an ad up in the EE for Mod 1 Stuff if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#46]

That's a bit of a stretch for this thread.  Nice rifle though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

Mattyvac, I've never profiled a barrel shorter than 16" for the OPS 12th, but on my 16" Krieger Recon it has zero POI shift, as well as functioning perfectly with quality ammo and demonstrating increased accuracy.

I'm surprised more shooters don't use the 12th with a 16", it's a match made in heaven.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StretchMaK] [#50]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

Mattyvac, I've never profiled a barrel shorter than 16" for the OPS 12th, but on my 16" Krieger Recon it has zero POI shift, as well as functioning perfectly with quality ammo and demonstrating increased accuracy.

I'm surprised more shooters don't use the 12th with a 16", it's a match made in heaven.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/sniper907/recon12.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/sniper907/OPS.jpg

Thats good to hear. I am putting a 16" mid length together when the rest of the parts get here this week.

Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top