BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1177
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: secretwheelman] [#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That 3rd world excuse for a range is rough, but I need to see that rifle laying on the bench next to the mod0.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

My goal with "categorizing" stuff was mainly as a way to help sort out what is GTG for the thread, and what is not, as well as giving folks who are here to work towards the highest quality "clone". If we go wild west in this thread, we're probably going to get a LOT of the "inspired" stuff that doesn't even look close to any of the Mk12 variations and spend more time policing the thread than talking Mk12 shit. OTOH, I agree that we're not looking to be clone shaming because someone has a Mk4 instead of a Vari-X III LR, or a Cerro forge instead of a Colt stamped AF upper. I'm not looking to establish a "you must be this clone to post/enter" bar.

I've been fine with the ones that closely followed the spirit of the Mk12, but had fun variations, different glass sometimes, mini Mk-12s, .308 Mk12s, Wormy's builds, etc. And I get that builds start off way wrong like mine did for YEARS. This should absolutely be a progress/build thread. But at the same time, not where folks openly keep their stuff nowhere near Mk12 because, as you say, they shoot their rifle a lot. To me cloning an obsolete rifle, or even trying to stay mostly close and then going buck wild with glass and furniture and cans defeats the purpose of the entire exercise.

I will say that when you move off the specs of a Mk12 as issued, in the wild, off what you've seen, or somewhere very close to that, it defeats the entire purpose of this thread. It's like building a rare '67 Shelby Mustang up and putting an LS7 in it. Yeah, it'd probably go like stink, and it's your car. But when you roll up to Pebble Beach, don't expect anyone to high five you and give you a trophy.

Roman reenacting very much is in the same boat. A lot of what they have to set for standards are only based on what little we know, because so little survives. Everything equipment wise is based off rusty finds at the bottom of the Rhine, or piles of iron plate found in bogs or graves in England. No schematics, no armory logs, and nothing but romanticized columns in Rome or writings to give any idea of how it goes together. I mean, we really don't know what color tunics they wore, how the shields were painted, formations and drill. It's a similar problem with trying to clone and learn about stuff used by people who work in a secretive mission, and often keep to themselves or their comrades. My motivation with all this is that unlike the Romans, we will have documented, categorized, filmed stuff for future enthusiasts like ourselves.

And please Augee, I'd rather hear about the stuff you've seen but we might not believe, because the more people that chime in even without pics, the more credible it becomes. Shit, we've seen CAA stocks and a goddamn Tactical Duostock on an early rifle, how crazy could it be? I want to better understand the procurement processes, because that tells a huge portion of the story on these rifles. I mean, we've said before they're the best thing 2001-2004 had to offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Augee:
http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/SOF0401.png

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/endlessrainx/keson1-1-1.jpg

One could make an argument for this being an NF 2.5-10x32.  Compare the relative lengths, and imagine moving the rings.  Also Army.  

This argument about "levels of kosherness" is somewhat absurd.  

I know everyone wants hard and fast rules and categories that they can draw lines around and place people inside or outside of.

From a historian's standpoint, however, understand that photographic documentation represents only a tiny fraction of the total population.  Moreover, photographs can be misleading, and may not necessarily represent the configuration of a weapon as used in combat, particularly when photographed in an administrative setting versus a combat setting.

There are plenty of things I've seen in my travels, but never gotten photographs of that would probably be rejected according to the "rules" of some of these clone threads.  

Also, one photograph (or set of photographs) exist of a particular weapon, "seen in the wild" is not necessarily representative.  A photograph doesn't automatically make something "kosher" because it was on one weapon at one time.  Let's be realistic here, it could not/would not take long for this to be stretched far beyond the point of absurdity.  A lot of these photographs we pour over are several times removed from their original context.  

I know many of you all are most interested in the technical aspects and aesthetic appeal of the weapons themselves, but "professionals study logistics."  

The "in the same armory" argument is just as absurd... if you want to understand the history of the weapon, you need to try to understand not only the technical aspects of the weapon, but also the process by which they and the units that use them are equipped, the way funding and procurement works.  You need to understand the historical context of the era you're discussing, 2000-2016 is a pretty long time, and there's been a lot of changes that have happened, not to mention a lot of fuck-ups, and a lot of just plain weird shit.  

You need to understand a little bit about the organizational and institutional culture of the end-user community, talking MK 12 MOD 1s, there's a reason conventional Marine Corps units have very little variation compared to, say, NSW MK 12 MOD 1s.  This should surprise no one, and many will very easily understand why.  This will be opaque to others.  Along with the organizational and institutional culture, you need to have at least a passing understanding of tactics and employment as well.  

Understanding these kinds of things can allow one to make reasonable suppositions and assumptions about configurations.  Minus direct documentation, can you ever "prove" that it's true?  No.  Will your suppositions be 100% accurate 100% of the time?  Absolutely not.  Will there always be configurations that you never even dreamed about or considered that will end up being documented?  Indubitably.  But, you will be able to make good, educated guesses that can be supported by secondary evidence, with a much higher degree of reliability than simply "it was in the same armory."  Moreover, you can make judgment calls about what is or is not likely to have happened, even without direct primary source documentation.  

This is historical research, and this is how historical research works.  Certainly there are arguments amongst academic and professional historians and researchers about conclusions that they've drawn as well.  Unfortunately what complicates the matter in this kind of thread versus researching, say the Revolutionary War is the fact that this is the public internet, anyone can see what's posted here.  Meanwhile, not only are most of the units and many of the personnel and weapons in question currently in service and engaged, but the organizations that use them are by nature more secretive than most.  

This means that most public discussion is boiled down to the technical level of what is physically observable in photographs, and a certain enthusiasm for "lived history" in the form of people building "clones" to experience the weapons personally and directly for a variety of reasons.  Unfortunately, this has led to an excessive enthusiasm for categorizing, segregating, and creating hierarchies of "kosherness" and "correctness," as well as the exclusion/exclusivity, in-fighting, and general squabbling and purse swinging that tends to go along with it.  

I for one would like to see this last part end.  Once you start making rules, you can never stop, you always have to keep on making more.  Most people can tell when someone's build has gone beyond the point of relevance to the topic, and it has been determined that relevance is not only adjudicated by "the spirit of," but a reasonable attempt at replicating technical features as well.  Beyond that, people can be applauded for taking the extra effort to get every single tiny component right, but there is no reason to "clone shame" anyone because they're a couple parts off.  Tone is difficult to convey on the internet, but there's a difference between pointing out discrepancies and making recommendations for improvement and "clone shaming."  You don't need express rules about which is which.  Let's at least *try* to be adults.    

~Augee

My goal with "categorizing" stuff was mainly as a way to help sort out what is GTG for the thread, and what is not, as well as giving folks who are here to work towards the highest quality "clone". If we go wild west in this thread, we're probably going to get a LOT of the "inspired" stuff that doesn't even look close to any of the Mk12 variations and spend more time policing the thread than talking Mk12 shit. OTOH, I agree that we're not looking to be clone shaming because someone has a Mk4 instead of a Vari-X III LR, or a Cerro forge instead of a Colt stamped AF upper. I'm not looking to establish a "you must be this clone to post/enter" bar.

I've been fine with the ones that closely followed the spirit of the Mk12, but had fun variations, different glass sometimes, mini Mk-12s, .308 Mk12s, Wormy's builds, etc. And I get that builds start off way wrong like mine did for YEARS. This should absolutely be a progress/build thread. But at the same time, not where folks openly keep their stuff nowhere near Mk12 because, as you say, they shoot their rifle a lot. To me cloning an obsolete rifle, or even trying to stay mostly close and then going buck wild with glass and furniture and cans defeats the purpose of the entire exercise.

I will say that when you move off the specs of a Mk12 as issued, in the wild, off what you've seen, or somewhere very close to that, it defeats the entire purpose of this thread. It's like building a rare '67 Shelby Mustang up and putting an LS7 in it. Yeah, it'd probably go like stink, and it's your car. But when you roll up to Pebble Beach, don't expect anyone to high five you and give you a trophy.

Roman reenacting very much is in the same boat. A lot of what they have to set for standards are only based on what little we know, because so little survives. Everything equipment wise is based off rusty finds at the bottom of the Rhine, or piles of iron plate found in bogs or graves in England. No schematics, no armory logs, and nothing but romanticized columns in Rome or writings to give any idea of how it goes together. I mean, we really don't know what color tunics they wore, how the shields were painted, formations and drill. It's a similar problem with trying to clone and learn about stuff used by people who work in a secretive mission, and often keep to themselves or their comrades. My motivation with all this is that unlike the Romans, we will have documented, categorized, filmed stuff for future enthusiasts like ourselves.

And please Augee, I'd rather hear about the stuff you've seen but we might not believe, because the more people that chime in even without pics, the more credible it becomes. Shit, we've seen CAA stocks and a goddamn Tactical Duostock on an early rifle, how crazy could it be? I want to better understand the procurement processes, because that tells a huge portion of the story on these rifles. I mean, we've said before they're the best thing 2001-2004 had to offer.

I agree.

Most people capable of basic logic have no problem intuiting what is kosher and what is not. There will always be outliers who will say, "this is my inspired build" etc . . . but the majority of people understand the clone game (and the "rules").

It's a self-defeating process to not have at least some baseline, which we've all pretty much agreed on . . . right handguard, right barrel profile, right muzzle device and suppressor, right stock/or as seen in wild, standard forged upper/lower receiver (bonus points if A1), glass as issued/seen in wild or working towards one of the two former. You can easily see this play out in the Facebook clone thread where some guy always says, "Hey, check out my inspired build!!!" and no one comments or likes the photo until the picture disappears into obscurity.

It's really not complicated but there will always be special cupcakes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I was on the ground floor when we were designing the SPR back in 98', however, I don't remember the optic we used as we were testing so many.  I need to ask Steve Holland on this as he ran the program back then.  Later when the Mk12s finally came to the teams I was up at Battalion/Group Staff.  Only time I shot a Mk12 in Baghdad in 03' had a PVS-17 mounted on top of it.  I would then arm myself with either a M14 NM or Mk13 in .300 Win Mag.

Looking at the IPB, TRS and OM on the Mk12s Mod 0/1 from Crane they list the following optics.

3 x 9 x 36 mm Optical Sight
2.5 x 8 x 36 mm Optical Sight TS-30 A2
2.5 x 8 x 36 Optical Sight MRT
2.5 x 10 Lightforce USA Nightforce NXS

As I had very limited exposure to the Mk12 operational use, I am far from an expert on this one and can't answer your debate on the x32.

CD
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Did someone say special cupcakes?  What flavor? A1 sauce or just some forged BS?  Pics man I need pics. Show me the icing I dream of....
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:38:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Firejareen:
Did someone say special cupcakes?  What flavor? A1 sauce or just some forged BS?  Pics man I need pics. Show me the icing I dream of....
View Quote

You seem familiar. NorCal to the white courtesy phone. IP check on Aisle 3.

Pic thread:

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By davekeller:
I finally got around to shooting my MK12 this week with my Dad! This public range is pretty much a trashcan from everyone not cleaning up after themselves.

Also, vertical video on my Dad's part but this was after we got it dialed in at 100 yards on steel. I'll be going for groups next time and pushing it out further. All in all, this is probably my favorite new rifle now!

My Dad and I also helped me build my M16A4 clone and we put some rounds through it. He has never been apart of an AR build and is now wanting to build his own M4 SOPMOD. The clone wars are contagious!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/0j1U3x3r23090P2e2o0c/IMG_4888.JPG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/1r1t2j462j1O2v1X3y38/IMG_4890.JPG

MK12 Mod 0 on Steel (YouTube)

View Quote

Looks like a shooting range in the Philippines I was shooting M16A1's at #3rdworldrange lol
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Going through some old pics and came across these gems...
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:

What stock is on your mod 0?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
I finally got around to shooting my MK12 this week with my Dad! This public range is pretty much a trashcan from everyone not cleaning up after themselves.

Also, vertical video on my Dad's part but this was after we got it dialed in at 100 yards on steel. I'll be going for groups next time and pushing it out further. All in all, this is probably my favorite new rifle now!

My Dad and I also helped me build my M16A4 clone and we put some rounds through it. He has never been apart of an AR build and is now wanting to build his own M4 SOPMOD. The clone wars are contagious!

What stock is on your mod 0?

It's a CAR stock that I'm running.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:

Looks like a shooting range in the Philippines I was shooting M16A1's at #3rdworldrange lol
View All Quotes

For real man! I hate the people trash that public range. It's near where my parents up and I grew up shooting there but it has been getting worse and worse. People just refuse to use the trashcans behind them or take their shit home. I'm surprised it's not shut down because of this.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]

When is the long rail section on the bottom of a Mod 0 hand guard appropriate? Was it a certain time period, only with a vertical fore grip or just user choice? I see them with and without so I was just wondering what the rule is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By OverTork:

When is the long rail section on the bottom of a Mod 0 hand guard appropriate? Was it a certain time period, only with a vertical fore grip or just user choice? I see them with and without so I was just wondering what the rule is.
View Quote

Near as I can tell, all issued late (Gen III) Mod 0s had long bottom rails.

I'm so tired of buying replacement long rails that I just opted to throw a second short one behind on Zakk's old tube.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Twin Ponds is the first place I ever got shot at.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#13]

ce
~Augee
View All Quotes

ce
~Augee

Dude, you're on point. That's where we were! We typically go at first light and when people show up, we leave. It's real sketchy. I remember seeing a Dad muzzle his small son with his 1911 when he had a jam. Saw a guy once fire his Uzi into the ceiling of the cover, and have seen plenty of drunks out on the berm. All in all, we don't go there much. My Dad still carries a sidearm or his AK loaded when he goes down range since his buddy once went to check his targets and someone stole his guns and left there. Pretty shitty all around.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Clone Nerds... lol I like It.  I looked long and hard at the NXS 2.5-10x32, and if I wasn't cloning, I would have bought it for sure over the TS-30.  But the TS-30 is just "right" on the top of a MK12,, at least in my eyes.

Heck I'm struggling enough with simply moving from 22H's to a LT104 mount - I know the LT104 is "ITW" approved, but just doesn't seem right for some reason.  But the eye relief on the TS-30 is giving me fits :(, so funtion over from will probably win out.  Just waiting until I swap out my A2 stock to the D-Type to be sure.

View Quote

So I made a minor change, instead to swapping over to an LT104, I moved the rear 22H up one rail slot, as the scope mag ring was butting up against it before - this allowed me to nudge the scope a bit more forward.  Now with the D Stock, I think it will work out ok.

Also switched over to a Douglas 416r SS barreled upper :). Ditched the KAC Ambi as well.  This ought to be the last picture in black.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]

So I made a minor change, instead to swapping over to an LT104, I moved the rear 22H up one rail slot, as the scope mag ring was butting up against it before - this allowed me to nudge the scope a bit more forward.  Now with the D Stock, I think it will work out ok.

Also switched over to a Douglas 416r SS barreled upper :). Ditched the KAC Ambi as well.  This ought to be the last picture in black.

http://i.imgur.com/YfpT0wkl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UhVb5a0l.jpg

View All Quotes

Clone Nerds... lol I like It.  I looked long and hard at the NXS 2.5-10x32, and if I wasn't cloning, I would have bought it for sure over the TS-30.  But the TS-30 is just "right" on the top of a MK12,, at least in my eyes.

Heck I'm struggling enough with simply moving from 22H's to a LT104 mount - I know the LT104 is "ITW" approved, but just doesn't seem right for some reason.  But the eye relief on the TS-30 is giving me fits :(, so funtion over from will probably win out.  Just waiting until I swap out my A2 stock to the D-Type to be sure.

YES.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I'm painting mine this weekend too! It feels so wrong but it'll look bad ass in the end!
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You jerks take care of OUR thread while I'm hunting waves deep in Central America.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

You jerks take care of OUR thread while I'm hunting waves deep in Central America.
View Quote
Just leave a key under the mat.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

You take his 12" upper and AEM5, I take his Mod 1?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:50:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Were there ever any black anodized a1 lowers used or were they always the gray?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

you are missed in here. not the same without ya.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: davekeller] [#22]
The rattling has begun!

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.armslist.com/posts/5328659/wyoming-rifles-for-sale--armalite-m15a2-5-56  
This guy is selling his armalite m15a2 and I found out there is a early Wheeled FSB on there!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ShaneWang:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/5328659/wyoming-rifles-for-sale--armalite-m15a2-5-56  
This guy is selling his armalite m15a2 and I found out there is a early Wheeled FSB on there!
View Quote

Sure dang is. For that price it's a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty excited how this came out. I usually run just solid FDE guns or black guns. I kind of liked the contrast of the dark brown against the tan but like how it all mixed together in the end. I left a bit of extra tape on during the last photo of the scope. All in all, pumped about this!

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Is that an original or the repo version?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Weird, the base looks like it's a clamp type...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KOBK] [#28]

View All Quotes

The base looks a little odd, the one that is front of me has a "squared off - flat bottom" also the inside of the tower has the holes in the right spot but look a little odd too.
It would be good to see a close up of the fsb.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I sent that guy a email, waiting for reply
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
If anyone's in the San Antonio area and would wanna go shooting tomorrow, hit me up. I'm bored AF on this base." />
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Airsoft?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Posting in both MK12 and MK18 threads, so forgive the cross post, but laid down a few sample colors or Aervoe tonight to get an idea of the colors... seems like a lot of reviews state the color doesn't match the cap as much as expected. Cardboard probably wasn't the best backer for some of the sand/earth colors, so I threw down some brown below it to help show the difference... Figured it might help someone else considering paint options.

From Left to Right...

Tan Obl. Compound, Earth Brown, Sand, Earth Yellow, Field Drab, Forest Green, Olive Drab, Earth Red

Some quick observations, Sand is slightly darker (more "earthy" I guess) than TOB, I was told Field Drab and Olive Drab were basically identical, but here you can see Field Drab has a tinge of gold almost to it.  Olive Drab is lighter than expected, but I think it will work.  Earth Red is an odd color, I only bought it b/c reviews said the Earth Yellow/Brown/Red make a great combo for mulitcam per a review on Brownells, but don't think I will use it for either the MK12 or MK18.

Leaning towards a Sand/Earth Brown on the MK18 similar to Kyle/Bradley in AS, and maybe a Olive Drab/Forest green scheme for the MK12 similar to Lutrell/Wahlberg in LS, if I can figure out the combo.

Kyle MK18 from IFDB.com...

Lutrell MK12 from IFDB.com

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]

If anyone's in the San Antonio area and would wanna go shooting tomorrow, hit me up. I'm bored AF on this base.http://<a href=http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww245/Davey_Sickboy/20160409_132726-01_zps7tqr0tlt.jpeg</a>" />
View Quote
From the sound of GD news, you may need to go shooting tonight.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Dude, you're on point. That's where we were! We typically go at first light and when people show up, we leave. It's real sketchy. I remember seeing a Dad muzzle his small son with his 1911 when he had a jam. Saw a guy once fire his Uzi into the ceiling of the cover, and have seen plenty of drunks out on the berm. All in all, we don't go there much. My Dad still carries a sidearm or his AK loaded when he goes down range since his buddy once went to check his targets and someone stole his guns and left there. Pretty shitty all around.
View All Quotes

I always wore a loaded sidearm when I went there, and usually carried my rifle slung when I went to check targets.  

Originally Posted By KOBK:

The base looks a little odd, the one that is front of me has a "squared off - flat bottom" also the inside of the tower has the holes in the right spot but look a little odd too.

<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3434_zpsut7wzq8h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3434_zpsut7wzq8h.jpg</a>

It's a clamp-on/crossbolt FSB.  

MK 12 MOD 0s used the set-screw version.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#35]

~Augee
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/user/nashvillito/media/DSCF3434_zpsut7wzq8h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/nashvillito/DSCF3434_zpsut7wzq8h.jpg</a>

~Augee
So PRI had clamp-on "wheeled" FSB's too?

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Got basecoats applied, seems to be taking longer than expected to dry, so I may have put it on a bit too thick maybe...not sure.  Went with several light coats, but might not have waited long enough for it to tack up between coats.

Anyway, Tan looks good/as expected, just need to break it up with the brown.  Not sure about the Olive Drab on the MK12 though... Isn't quite what I expected.  We'll see how it looks after I add some contrasting colors.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Got basecoats applied, seems to be taking longer than expected to dry, so I may have put it on a bit too thick maybe...not sure.  Went with several light coats, but might not have waited long enough for it to tack up between coats.

Anyway, Tan looks good/as expected, just need to break it up with the brown.  Not sure about the Olive Drab on the MK12 though... Isn't quite what I expected.  We'll see how it looks after I add some contrasting colors.

http://i.imgur.com/Y5K4PV2l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R7SelQUl.jpg
View Quote

The cool thing about paint is if you don't like it, taking it off is easy with KleanStrip or CitriStrip.  You can always wear in the tan coat over time and add another color later if you want too, just don't over think the process.  less is more in this case
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered my brake and collar from ADCO. Now I just need my PRI tube and rail and I can head to the range once I get it together. Then a Harris, bipod mount, pod loc, and sling will come shortly after.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:16:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#39]
Here's the MK18... I'm pleased with it, came out nice.  Basically just Sand with some Earth Brown to break it up, nothing fancy.  

Here's the MK12, green didn't go so well, so I darken'd it up with some brown and tan, still not sure about this one so it may get stripped and redone :).

Actually, I hit it with a bit more sand and starting to like it, so I think I will leave it as is...

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s31.postimg.org/lgd7qr3rf/IMG_20160710_225302.jpg</a>

View Quote

Well that didn't last long
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Hope you cloners don't mind the intrusion by a non-cloner.

Allen Engineering And The Silencer For The MK12

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/11/allen-engineering/

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By goloud:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/pmdata/0fea47a9a86115b86ecf317474e8314c_zpscdgclxzw.jpg
View Quote

I can practically smell Beloit from where I live. Wonder if they've got any old parts laying around?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s31.postimg.org/lgd7qr3rf/IMG_20160710_225302.jpg</a>

What didn't last long?  When did you get the ACE stock haveblue83?  I thought it was the magpul STR for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I can practically smell Beloit from where I live. Wonder if they've got any old parts laying around?
View All Quotes

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh623/pmdata/0fea47a9a86115b86ecf317474e8314c_zpscdgclxzw.jpg

Loves Park?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#46]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Loves Park?
View All Quotes

Loves Park?

Little NE of there.

ETA: I used to live 1 mile south of South Beloit when I moved out here.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#47]

What didn't last long?  When did you get the ACE stock haveblue83?  I thought it was the magpul STR for a long time.
View All Quotes

He's had the ACE for a minute now. And I was referencing something from a group chat
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#48]

He's had the ACE for a minute now. And I was referencing something from a group chat
View All Quotes

They used to cost a crap ton.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice gun.  Did you happen to know if PRI or the KAC rail ( which I vaguely remember you had before ) is lighter?  I really like the PRI Gen 3 and am considering getting one.  Thanks!

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Was anything ever determined about this? I'm curious but I didn't see if anyone said it was the real deal or reproduction.
Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top