Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Texture I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrFrZZ:
Not sure if I like the Ergo Grip. Makes it a little bit harder to manipulate the safety and mag release. The MOE and MIAD are fine, but I don't really like them. May for back to A2 grips. Anyone have a suggestion?

What dont you like about the MIAD grip?

Texture I guess.

Smooth it down with some sandpaper??  I think the A2 texture is more irritating.

I agree with not liking how a grip keeps me from manipulating the safety/ mag release.... the A2 is just a shade small for my paw. but some of the others push my thumb back too far.... Goldielocks of the grips I guess...but I like the Miad quite a bit....
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Some things have changed since the last time I posted.  New big brother with the old scope in 7.62, and the old mk12 w new, more corrected scope on the right.

Honestly, I was plenty happy with the 3.5-10 on the k12.  I thought it was a little big, but still liked it, outside the long eye relief on the non bridged upper.

I wanted a bigger magnification scope to go on the .308, but when I shot Movistar's 2.5-8, I really liked it and the creative juices started flowing.  It turned out saving me money, since I was originally going to put a Nightforce or a Steiner on the .308, but when I convinced myself to get a 2.5-8 and swap the 3.5-10 over, I couldn't be happier.  It fits perfectly on the bigger .308 receiver, and have no eye relief issues.  

The eye relief on the 2.5-8 is much better and have much less problems, and it just "looks right" on the mk12, and the 3.5-10 looks right on the .308, so I couldn't be happier how both turned out, even though I was kind of reluctant to go for the cheaper scope instead of saving for the german glass, lol.

Anyway, pics of said awesomeness x2
[/URL]" />
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if I like the Ergo Grip. Makes it a little bit harder to manipulate the safety and mag release. The MOE and MIAD are fine, but I don't really like them. May for back to A2 grips. Anyone have a suggestion?
View Quote

MOE+

Just feels right on anything. Great for inclement weather.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I myself rock A2 grips and boxers.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By spartanglory11:
Some things have changed since the last time I posted.  New big brother with the old scope in 7.62, and the old mk12 w new, more corrected scope on the right.

Honestly, I was plenty happy with the 3.5-10 on the k12.  I thought it was a little big, but still liked it, outside the long eye relief on the non bridged upper.

I wanted a bigger magnification scope to go on the .308, but when I shot Movistar's 2.5-8, I really liked it and the creative juices started flowing.  It turned out saving me money, since I was originally going to put a Nightforce or a Steiner on the .308, but when I convinced myself to get a 2.5-8 and swap the 3.5-10 over, I couldn't be happier.  It fits perfectly on the bigger .308 receiver, and have no eye relief issues.  

The eye relief on the 2.5-8 is much better and have much less problems, and it just "looks right" on the mk12, and the 3.5-10 looks right on the .308, so I couldn't be happier how both turned out, even though I was kind of reluctant to go for the cheaper scope instead of saving for the german glass, lol.

Anyway, pics of said awesomeness x2
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/alan_worsham/IMG_5822_zpsiwkl9cgk.jpg[/URL]" />
View Quote

That's a quiet pair bro. Short trip today. We need to go shoot proper next weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
I'm really digging your MK12. What scope mount are you running?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#8]
Hay guise. Still around just mucho preoccupied being a class leader and trying to keep 13 rather intellectual new Airmen on the straight and narrow....which means they're effectively fucked.

But if you're in TX i have it with me so if you talk dirty to me maybe I let you touch it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By txtj79:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By txtj79:

Thanks Sir. Scope mount is LaRue LT104.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Hay guise. Still around just mucho preoccupied being a class leader and trying to keep 13 rather intellectual new Airmen on the straight and narrow....which means they're effectively fucked.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/738/22516346200_08b78f9989_b.jpg

But if you're in TX i have it with me so if you talk dirty to me maybe I let you touch it?
View Quote
Let me know when you're headed through this way and I'll try to talk dirty enough.

Also, what's goin' on with your pod-loc? Looks bent.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Put some handloads through the BA 16" barrel this weekend.

It really liked 23g of H335 with Hornady 75gr BTHP.

The Nosler 77gr BTHP with 23g os RL15 wasn't grouping too well - does anyone have a better formula for these pills?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Mattyvac:

The Nosler 77gr BTHP with 23g os RL15 wasn't grouping too well - does anyone have a better formula for these pills?
View Quote

23gr 8208xbr and cci primers with sierra 77gr otm on mixed brass got me .505 3 shot and consistently under 1moa with my 3-9x. The new poly topped 77gr stuff liked it too. Backup is 24gr or varget

Would be tighter if i had better zoom.

That vortex looks nice on there.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

What other powders do you have? There are a lot of loads out there for both the 75gr Hornady and the 77 SMK, less loads for the Nosler CC but I have found the data to be interchangeable between the two(even though they bullets have a slightly different profile).  Also, do you want to put a premium on velocity or accuracy?  I always use Mk 262 as a benchmark, I try to get the most velocity while maintaining an acceptable amount of accuracy and being safe to shoot.  

For pure accuracy with the heavy bullets it is going to be hard to bead Varget, I've had nothing but great results with it and that seems to be common.  You can't get much velocity out of it before the case is full unfortunately.

24.1gr RL-15 and a 77gr CC with a CCI #41 primer is my go to load for long range stuff. I don't know what load data you are using but maybe you need to keep working up towards the max.  Some powders preform better with max loads and/or compressed(I've found CFE223 to be like this with the 6.5 grendle).

I've been trying to find a powder that works equally as well for 77gr .223 and 123gr 6.5 bullets for my Grendel.  RL-15 isn't a good choice for the Grendel so I've got XBR8208, CFE223, and AR-Comp to try out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

What other powders do you have? There are a lot of loads out there for both the 75gr Hornady and the 77 SMK, less loads for the Nosler CC but I have found the data to be interchangeable between the two(even though they bullets have a slightly different profile).  Also, do you want to put a premium on velocity or accuracy?  I always use Mk 262 as a benchmark, I try to get the most velocity while maintaining an acceptable amount of accuracy and being safe to shoot.  

For pure accuracy with the heavy bullets it is going to be hard to bead Varget, I've had nothing but great results with it and that seems to be common.  You can't get much velocity out of it before the case is full unfortunately.

24.1gr RL-15 and a 77gr CC with a CCI #41 primer is my go to load for long range stuff. I don't know what load data you are using but maybe you need to keep working up towards the max.  Some powders preform better with max loads and/or compressed(I've found CFE223 to be like this with the 6.5 grendle).

I've been trying to find a powder that works equally as well for 77gr .223 and 123gr 6.5 bullets for my Grendel.  RL-15 isn't a good choice for the Grendel so I've got XBR8208, CFE223, and AR-Comp to try out.
View All Quotes

Right now I only have H335 and RL15 but I can pick up XBR and a few others at my local Bass Pro if needed.

The max I tried was 23.5g of RL15 with the 77gr bullets so maybe I will try some H335 or your suggestion of 24.1g RL15.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Right now I only have H335 and RL15 but I can pick up XBR and a few others at my local Bass Pro if needed.

The max I tried was 23.5g of RL15 with the 77gr bullets so maybe I will try some H335 or your suggestion of 24.1g RL15.
View All Quotes

Are you seating it to max length right away or have you tried playing with the seating depth at all?

Some barrels just don't like some bullets but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a 77gr CC and RL-15 load of some kind that will work for you.  I would keep working up from 23.5 and see if there is any improvement.  I haven't used H335 for anything but light weight bullets so I can't help with any info there.  Also, I don't know how you are throwing your charges but if you prefer ball powder TAC has given me good results and CFE223 has been good in the 6.5 so far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Let me know when you're headed through this way and I'll try to talk dirty enough.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/738/22516346200_08b78f9989_b.jpg

Upward curve hits the g-spot.

Nah its the wheeler version. Cheaper and works fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Are you seating it to max length right away or have you tried playing with the seating depth at all?

Some barrels just don't like some bullets but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a 77gr CC and RL-15 load of some kind that will work for you.  I would keep working up from 23.5 and see if there is any improvement.  I haven't used H335 for anything but light weight bullets so I can't help with any info there.  Also, I don't know how you are throwing your charges but if you prefer ball powder TAC has given me good results and CFE223 has been good in the 6.5 so far.
View Quote

Yes I seat everything at 2.26 - have not tried messing with that at all. I would prefer to seat them at 2.26 and mess with the powder at .1 increments if possible.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Yes I seat everything at 2.26 - have not tried messing with that at all. I would prefer to seat them at 2.26 and mess with the powder at .1 increments if possible.
View All Quotes

24.5 was showing promise with 77s and '15 in my rig at 2.26. Bout 1.5 consistently with occasionally sub moa 5-shot groups. Found 75s were a lot less finicky with my rifle so that's what i go with now. Plus they're a LOT cheaper.

Might wanna try 24 and up though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:37:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psicoteo] [#19]
I've almost read all the topic so far and I'd like to share the first picture of my build.
I'm in Italy and many items are so difficult to find..
It was almost in 2010 I was wondering how to build a mk12 mod1.
Finding a kac rail was really really hard, and it's not here yet.
A real spr barrel was impossible to have here until some month ago.

This is it so far:

lower Colt m16a1 '71 unfired
barrel Rainier match spr profile 1:8
upper Rainier forged
bolt and bolt carrier are from the Colt m16a1
optic leupold 3,5-10x40 m3 mil dot
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By psicoteo:
I've almost read all the topic so far and I'd like to share the first picture of my build.

This is it so far:

http://i65.tinypic.com/302wc3k.jpg

upper Rainier forged

View Quote

Can we get more details on that lower receiver?

Is that a third fun hole I see?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psicoteo] [#21]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

View All Quotes

This is it so far:

upper Rainier forged

With pleasure Ankratz
The lower receiver is from a Colt M16a1 from '71 with full auto selector blocked.
So you see the fun hole but the selector can go only through semi and safe.
Also the bolt carrier has been cut out to prevent full auto capability.
the original rifle it comes from has a triangular handguard, pencil barrel with birdcage.
I bought it a couple of years ago.
Thanks for asking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#22]

With pleasure Ankratz
The lower receiver is from a Colt M16a1 from '71 with full auto selector blocked.
the original rifle it comes from has a triangular handguard, pencil barrel with birdcage.
Thanks for asking.
View All Quotes

This is it so far:

upper Rainier forged

With pleasure Ankratz
Thanks for asking.

I love seeing the disease spread overseas

Hope to see a KAC rail on there soon. Any lead getting a Badger or Daniel Defense gas block yet, or focusing more on the big parts? How about the Ops brake and collar?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psicoteo] [#23]
hey lancecriminal86, my spr will be a real mod1!
I'm a nazy-cloner as many of you are here
Finding itar complaining vendors have been difficult, but I managed to do that.
That's the hardest part in cloning for me.
So I've got everything on the way and something will be on it's way soon.
Only kac bipod adapter 98060 and KAC QD SWIVEL FOREND RAIL MNT 98720 seem disappeared. Well, it's the vendor who seems gone with the money.
I chose badger gas block, from brownells , it will be here this week.
harris brsm will be with me next week.

Maybe I'll find some1 who will sell and send me a real colt upper receiver, so I can switch out the rainier one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Have fun fitting the badger gas block.

Colt uppers are over rated.

Arms #32 bipod mount > KAC bipod mount
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psicoteo] [#25]

View Quote

A great friend of mine builds "open" class guns and ar15.
Rv custom
he will work on the badger gas block and build the thing.

is Rainier upper correct for the mk12?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#26]

Rv custom

View All Quotes

Rv custom

No, but any standard forged upper will be fine. If you're going for gold snag a Colt or Armalite receiver

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Rv custom

View All Quotes

Rv custom

Any forged upper is fine really, it's the billet and goofy looking ones that aren't. Having the Colt C stamp is extra bonus for correctness, but less critical overall than having the right barrel and rail plus Ops collar.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one colt upper on my m16a4 clone built on a colt hbar base.
But I'm not in the mood of have it disassembled to switch uppers.
barrel rail and brake + collar will be there!

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

The one you have mocked up on it looks to be a standard forged receiver so you're good. Literally the only difference is in the forge marks, and that's it.

Us purists pay 3x the amount for Colt uppers because we are psycho, and that's pretty much the only reason. Even my Mk12 will have a square forge upper for the time being until I pick up another Colt receiver. The one in my page ownage is for my standard issue M4 build.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

The one you have mocked up on it looks to be a standard forged receiver so you're good. Literally the only difference is in the forge marks, and that's it.

Us purists pay 3x the amount for Colt uppers because we are psycho, and that's pretty much the only reason. Even my Mk12 will have a square forge upper for the time being until I pick up another Colt receiver. The one in my page ownage is for my standard issue M4 build.
View All Quotes

The only way you can own a page in the mk12 thread, is by owning a mk12.

Yo' shit ain't done yet.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I fully do understand the need for C and keyhole...

I'm a psycho too

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Yo' shit ain't done yet.

View All Quotes

Yo' shit ain't done yet.

That's your fault. Gen 3 upper for 552.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#33]

I'm a psycho too

View Quote

Colt actually has a bunch of forging companies make their receivers, so it's not just keyhole (Cerro Forge) but they are one of the many, including Anchor Harvey, Square forge, Cardinal Forge etc
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Yo' shit ain't done yet.

I'm considering opening the safe to get some EE pics, and thinking about doing some trading to get an ELCAN for a PR build.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#35]

I'm considering opening the safe to get some EE pics, and thinking about doing some trading to get an ELCAN for a PR build.

View All Quotes

Yo' shit ain't done yet.

I haven't had a 553 in a year bro. Go back to the B2 thread, it was 552.
Elcan es muy bueno.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Elcan es muy bueno.
View All Quotes

Elcan es muy bueno.
I need a 553, homie.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Man,  away for a week and I'm already suffering mk12 withdrawal symptoms.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#38]

I'm a psycho too

View Quote
The disease is real    ...the most severe/damaging symptom is a noticable uptick in dumb (paying lots of money for forge markings/outdated gun tech and early manic and/or depressed activities directly related to perceived #clonecorrectness). This is followed closely by a general disposition toward fuckery (most easily observable on a daily basis in the three most popular arfcom clone forums). Finally, the diseased will acknowledge, in varying degrees, the supremacy of the clone Gods. This is usually evidenced by the offering up of daily sacrifices (whatever the fuck that actually means) and the expression of increasingly anti-social, cave-man type, behavior).

Bottom line: you're fucked.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: psicoteo] [#39]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
The disease is real    ...the most severe/damaging symptom is a noticable uptick in dumb (paying lots of money for forge markings/outdated gun tech and early manic and/or depressed activities directly related to perceived #clonecorrectness). This is followed closely by a general disposition toward fuckery (most easily observable on a daily basis in the three most popular arfcom clone forums). Finally, the diseased will acknowledge, in varying degrees, the supremacy of the clone Gods. This is usually evidenced by the offering up of daily sacrifices (whatever the fuck that actually means) and the expression of increasingly anti-social, cave-man type, behavior).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:

I'm a psycho too

Hahaha awesome!!
i know I'm fucked, I knew that some year ago. The disease comes and goes. Now it's here.
Btw kac bipod and sling adapter man answered my mail
#maniac mode on
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm really getting the itch for a MK12. How much of an upper can I get in trade for a FDE Elcan 1x 4x/FDE MRDS mount/Docter combo?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
I'm really getting the itch for a MK12. How much of an upper can I get in trade for a FDE Elcan 1x 4x/FDE MRDS mount/Docter combo?
View Quote

A whole upper for sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#42]
View Quote

Paging SWM. SWM to the white courtesy phone.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#43]

A whole upper for sure.
View All Quotes

A whole upper for sure.

I'm thinking MOD 1, with a Mk4. I wonder how close the trade value is between that and what I am willing to part with?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Welcome, welcome.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:37:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#45]

I'm thinking MOD 1, with a Mk4. I wonder how close the trade value is between that and what I am willing to part with?
View All Quotes

A whole upper for sure.

I think the complete upper will be pretty close to Elcan value if the upper has a Douglas barrel and the KAC BUIS etc, all the works. What I think you would still have to buy out of pocket would be the glass (Mk4)
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#46]

I think the complete upper will be pretty close to Elcan value if the upper has a Douglas barrel and the KAC BUIS etc, all the works. What I think you would still have to buy out of pocket would be the glass (Mk4)
View All Quotes

A whole upper for sure.

It would have to be the perfect trade. If I am not mistaken,  I have a unicorn with the mrds mount. I don't think the FDE color has been produced in quite some time. Couple that with the Docter,  and you are creeping up there in price. I'd pay the difference in cash. I think I am going to mull it over and put something up in the WTT section. There are some great looking builds in here fellas!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Do it bro! Somebody will take that trade for sure. Hell, I would. I've wanted an Elcan for fuckin years...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

A whole upper for sure.

You sure you don't want a mod0 with a mk4?

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

A whole upper for sure.

I might. Augee has very good looking one on EE as well. Hit me up via PM. Sorry for clogging up this fine thread but I figured this would be the best source to start with as it is one of the "big three"  clone threads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#50]
Now that you posted all this you got me considering trading my block 2 upper with tan EXPS and M3X/dual switch for a Mk12 upper since I now have my standard M4A1 basically finished.

To help wheelman get an elcan from pfran-

Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top