BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1177
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By _ERIK_:
I have a oddball question what cases (Pelican/Hardigg/Storm)were the MK12MOD0 and MOD1 issued in? The one I used was not given to me with a case.

The transport case is a pelican.  Note I said transport case, since locking a weapon in an airtight case with waterjet cut spongy foam will defeat any climate controlled armsroom yet made.......

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RifleTwo] [#2]
I'd like to put a Ops 12th A1 type flash hider on my Mod O build. Some one on here had an A1 one their Mod O but now I can't find the picture. Does anyone else have an A1 Ops 12th mount instead of the Ops break installed on their rifle? Or pictures of one that does?. I can't find any pics in yahoo image or google. Would like to see some of the A1 type mounted before I order it from Adco.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:59:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#3]
I'd like to put a Ops 12th A1 type flash hider on my Mod O build. Some one on here had an A1 one their Mod O but now I can't find the picture. Does anyone else have an A1 Ops 12th mount instead of the Ops break installed on their rifle? Or pictures of one that does?. I can't find any pics in yahoo image or google. Would like to see some of the A1 type mounted before I order it from Adco.

These are PFC_Kramer's pictures from the old thread.  I had saved them because I like the look also.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for saving and posting that pic! I think that is what I'm going to get, they look so cool and you dont see them that often
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, my Mod1 from Kevin at High Caliber is on it's way. Hopefully it will arrive on Wed. along with my Nightforce from Primary Arms. Pics to follow!
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#6]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
I'd bet that this thread singlehandedly quadrupled Kevin at High Caliber's business; I know it sent me to him!

Perhaps I should try and collect royalties?

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RifleTwo:

oh wow cool talk about a blast from the past haha
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PFC_Kramer:

Do you still have that MK12?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turk308] [#9]
where were you able to attain a mk12 sling; and how do you like those arms mounts vs the NF rings?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]
How about some more pics

MK12 Mod 0 at Shot

And an original MK12 Mod 0 upper at the PRI booth
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

I don't know about the MK12, but I have the A2 OPS flash hider pictured on PFC_Kramer's rifle. I bought it from him.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]
i was lucky enough to stumble across a seller on another forum.  Came with Bag and original paperwork.  Great guy too.    As for the rings they lock up great.  I am not sure what all the fuss is about with them.  They were solid right outta of the package.  In fact, I think I got them off a seller on Arfcom.  Don't get me wrong I love Larue and Kev also had the NF rings, but the Arms were OEM so I decided to go with them.  I think now its NF and/or Larue that was  being issued.  
So's who is  the go to company for Mod 0's?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By srtsam:
i was lucky enough to stumble across a seller on another forum.  Came with Bag and original paperwork.  Great guy too.    As for the rings they lock up great.  I am not sure what all the fuss is about with them.  They were solid right outta of the package.  In fact, I think I got them off a seller on Arfcom.  Don't get me wrong I love Larue and Kev also had the NF rings, but the Arms were OEM so I decided to go with them.  I think now its NF and/or Larue that was  being issued.  
So's who is  the go to company for Mod 0's?

Consider yourself lucky. The ARMS rings I used wouldn't lock up tight even to their own ARMS PEQ top rail. I can see the ARMS rings not working with 3rd party manufacturers rails and receivers etc, but when they don't even fit the same companies rails that just piss poor qc. The lack of ability to not account for tolerance differences just proves their design is mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Nah, it was alot of fun to shoot. It was very accurate but I ended up selling it  to help fund building what I considered to be a perfect SPR type rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

I don't know about the MK12, but I have the A2 OPS flash hider pictured on PFC_Kramer's rifle. I bought it from him.  

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5794/dsc0677k.jpg

Hmmm. Are the ones from Adco MADE by Adco? Because the ones they sell aren't that detailed looking. I'm guessing your's is a real one from Ops Inc?
Are these made by Ops as well? Or just made to spec to fit the 12th Mod can?

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5794/dsc0677k.jpg

Hmmm. Are the ones from Adco MADE by Adco? Because the ones they sell aren't that detailed looking. I'm guessing your's is a real one from Ops Inc?
Are these made by Ops as well? Or just made to spec to fit the 12th Mod can?
http://adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/A1%20Flash%20Hider%20Mount.jpg

I'll bet they are OPS Inc. parts.  Their website lists them as OPS Inc.  You could give them a call to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By srtsam:

i was lucky enough to stumble across a seller on another forum. Came with Bag and original paperwork. Great guy too. As for the rings they lock up great. I am not sure what all the fuss is about with them. They were solid right outta of the package. In fact, I think I got them off a seller on Arfcom. Don't get me wrong I love Larue and Kev also had the NF rings, but the Arms were OEM so I decided to go with them. I think now its NF and/or Larue that was being issued.

So's who is the go to company for Mod 0's?

Consider yourself lucky. The ARMS rings I used wouldn't lock up tight even to their own ARMS PEQ top rail. I can see the ARMS rings not working with 3rd party manufacturers rails and receivers etc, but when they don't even fit the same companies rails that just piss poor qc. The lack of ability to not account for tolerance differences just proves their design is mediocre at best.

WOW, I did not need to here that. I have an ARMS #35 track mount and #35 med rings on order. Wish they would get here already. I hope they fit tight. I almost went with the LaRue mount, hope I did not screw up with the ARMS mounts.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
So if I was going to get a set of rings instead of a SPR cantilever base, the Larue QD rings are the better option rather than ARMS?
I've heard about ARMS quality going from batch to batch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StretchMaK] [#20]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Originally Posted By StretchMaK:

WOW, I did not need to here that. I have an ARMS #35 track mount and #35 med rings on order. Wish they would get here already. I hope they fit tight. I almost went with the LaRue mount, hope I did not screw up with the ARMS mounts.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, even though ARMS is badmouthed on this board, they have a large amount of military contracts. The various entities could and would be using something else if they needed to.

I guess I will see when they get here. Talked to them on the phone and my stuff should be here by the end of the week. The mount is on back order and they never let me know that. Coming from MSP in Florida now, ARMS said it be two weeks before they could ship.

Post up some pics Stickman, I know you have some sweet Mk12 photos someplace you can post.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#21]

I wouldn't worry about it too much, even though ARMS is badmouthed on this board, they have a large amount of military contracts.  The various entities could and would be using something else if they needed to.  

I have used ARMS mounts for years now on everything from .22's to .50BMG's with no failures and no fitment issues. There's a lot of LaRue suck-up'ing on this board so it's fashionable to trash on ARMS, but that's a lot of uninformed b.s. As already stated, if ARMS was so crappy, the military would have made a course correction on that years ago, despite what the mallninjas and the errornet says.

You'll be good to go, and your ARMS stuff is "correct" if you're going for a true MK12 build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#22]
So if I was going to get a set of rings instead of a SPR cantilever base, the Larue QD rings are the better option rather than ARMS?
I've heard about ARMS quality going from batch to batch.

Thats what I stuck on mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
again to reinterate, the arms rings I picked up here are GTG.  I love mark Larue and his wares, but arms were issued and thats what I went with.... no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jdhill] [#24]

I wouldn't worry about it too much, even though ARMS is badmouthed on this board, they have a large amount of military contracts.  The various entities could and would be using something else if they needed to.  

And sometimes (often maybe?) do, with unit  or personal funds... just say'n

ETA: IMO, building the perfect clone is a worthy project, but being a slave to the spec will not give you the best rifle the spec could/should have been...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
What would you guys say is a good budget for a complete Mk12 Mod 0?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Can someone help me out:  I really LIKE the mk 12 mod 0/1... but I have a hard time rationalizing their existence.

With the growth and return to a lot of 20" barrels, why go to the mk 12's 18"?  with the telescopic sight, it's clearly not going to be a CQB rifle... so it seems like you may as well go with a 20".

Can someone enlighten me?  What am I missing?

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nexus-7] [#27]
Some people are cloners who want a Mk12 and that is okay.

I don't care what you call them....but I don't see a need for a barrel over 18".

If you are looking at modern trends, it is clearly towards a compact (16") 7.62 instead of a 5.56 for the DMR role.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By neoinarien:

Can someone help me out: I really LIKE the mk 12 mod 0/1... but I have a hard time rationalizing their existence.

With the growth and return to a lot of 20" barrels, why go to the mk 12's 18"? with the telescopic sight, it's clearly not going to be a CQB rifle... so it seems like you may as well go with a 20".

Can someone enlighten me? What am I missing?

I have both 20" and 18" AR15 rifles. I find that neither one is more accurate then the other. I do find that my 20" HBARs are very front heavy vs my 18" HBARs. The Mk 12 rifles are also made to mount a suppressor which is long so it helps to shorten the overall length of the rifles.

Others with more knowledge may give a better answer then I can. These are just my thoughts as to why they went with an 18" over the 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I can see the balance issue as a help, same for weight.  But is it really worth the FPS trade off, better trajectory, etc?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By clamber:

3k  give or take.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Can someone help me out:  I really LIKE the mk 12 mod 0/1... but I have a hard time rationalizing their existence.

With the growth and return to a lot of 20" barrels, why go to the mk 12's 18"?  with the telescopic sight, it's clearly not going to be a CQB rifle... so it seems like you may as well go with a 20".

Can someone enlighten me?  What am I missing?

You have to remember the overall lengh of the suppressor which is 8.75 inches with  5 inches beyond the brake. 6.25 beyond the muzzle.
So you either are wielding a 25 inch AR or a 23 inch AR. Like everyting in life those inches can matter. Plus the barrel with suppressor was origionally cut to take advanage of AA53 MK262 ammo.

Hope that helps.

Erik
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joesrcool] [#32]
I can see the balance issue as a help, same for weight.  But is it really worth the FPS trade off, better trajectory, etc?

This thread states there is only a 9fps increase from an 18in to a 20in barrel. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=524537&light=
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#33]
Originally Posted By starduks:

3k  give or take.

Are you figuring in the suppressor as well?  I fully intend to build one well under $3k but that's with no suppressor and an optic under $400, and not including the lower.  With that said, I doubt the purists will consider mine a Mk12.

On the topic of 18" barrels VS. 20" barrels, I wager a 16" mid-length Mk12 would be quite sick...
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Mine ran about $4200.00 without the suppressor but you could do it for less, mine is not an exact clone.

Here are the specs on the build.

Lower

WHTF Mega lower
RRA lower parts kit minus trigger
Geissele Match Hi-Speed Trigger
Magpul PRS stock

Upper

Mega upper
18" Noveske SPR Barrel
PRI GenIII Free Float Forearm
ARMS SPR-PEQ-2-3 Swan Sleeve - fits PRi GenIII Tube
PRI Flip-Up Front Sight .750 clamp
PRI M84 Gas Buster charging handle
Young NM M16 Chrome bolt group
OPS INC Brake-Collar
Harris Bipod BRM-S and LaRue Tactical LT130 QD Mount  

Optics

ARMS 22 30mm Ring Mounts/Med height
Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M3 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-10x 40mm Side Focus Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle Matte

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RifleTwo] [#35]
Who "Makes" the barrels for the issued MK12s? I was told by a guy AT Douglas Barrels that "we send blanks to a "shop" and a ol' guy down in Florida turns 'em for the military now". Further discussion with that gentlemen grudgingly (still not sure why that was? State secret maybe) reveled that the "ol' guys" name was Frank (as in Frank White) and the "Shop in Florida" was Compass Lake Engineering.

Now I took that to heart, I figured if the people who produce the blanks that those lovely SPR barrels are turned from, should know who puts the finishing touches on them. But someone just told me NO, that Frank and CLE have no part in turning SPR barrels for the MK12??? Yes, no? Does anyone know the truth behind this?

Now I ordered mine from CLE, not only because several people pointed me to them when I was searching for a 18" SPR barrel. Or because of their widely recognized quality, accuracy and craftsmanship. But partly because I was told by multiple arfcom members (and backed up by Douglas themselves) that the CLE Douglas barrels are the "genuine real McCoy MK12 barrels" If that's not true I'd like to know just for information's sake.

Still very happy with my purchase either way. hope to have pics of her up in a few weeks (just ordered my Ops 12th mount and collar today)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#36]
It is my understanding that you are correct. That is what I have been  told for years.

BTW Frank makes kick ass barrels. My NM AR15 he made me drives tacks at 600 yards.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By _ERIK_:
It is my understanding that you are correct. That is what I have been  told for years.

BTW Frank makes kick ass barrels. My NM AR15 he made me drives tacks at 600 yards.

I'll agree with you on that. I haven't even got to shoot it yet (waiting on some finishing touch parts) and I can tell by just looking at that barrel, I'm going to be impressed when I do get to sling some lead down range. I can't wait I've been leaving the inside door open for the last week, just so I can here the mail man dropping off boxes God bless the USPS and your 2-3 day shipping!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#38]
FWIW –– the "guy" that contoured/chambered/proofed the barrels for the Crane builds was not from FL  ––  he works out of TN.  The only 2 sources for his Douglas barrel creations are us (High Caliber Sales) and Centurion Arms.  That is not to say that you are not getting a quality product.

Also, current mil contracts are filled by more than one supplier –– case in point, we are currently manufacturing 40 barrels for a branch of the US mil.

Douglas sells barrels –– they do not, necessarily, know where the barrels ultimately go once the barrels leave their plant.

I hope this is of some use regarding current MK12 barrels....

A lot of this info was contained in the previous MK12 thread –– guess some of the history was lost when the thread was put to rest.

Best,

Kevin
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Kevin,
Is it possible that more than one individual was used to profile these barrels. Not assemble but profile and provided? Just curious as this has been brought up in conversation before and not on the interweb.

Just curious. Im a user not a builder.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:45:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#40]
Kevin, I recently had the pleasure of shooting one of the Douglas equipped Mod1 rifles that you had produced.
We were also shooting my Mod0 Krieger barrelled SPR, a rifle which has consistently shown terrific accuracy with 77gr ammo.
When my shooting buddy got the High Caliber rifle, he was concerned about it's potential accuracy, as compared to my Mod0 SPR which he has shot before.
When he asked me about the Douglas barrel, as compard to the Krieger, my reponce was that I doubt you'd be able to tell any difference.  
Well, this wasn't good enough for him. And, of course, that's what led us to the range trip.

After about 150 rounds of BH Red Box 77gr, Federal 77gr, MK262, Hornady T2 75gr 5.56,and some BHBB 75gr for good measure, our conclusions were that you couldn't tell any difference, at least not at 100 yards and 600 yards.
Well, that's not all entirely true, his Nightforce 2.5-10 is a little better than my Leupold 3-9 MR/T, and the Krieger seemed a little better with blue box 75gr at 600 yards, but only when suppressed with the OPS 12th, plus it's pretty subjective with no rear bag prone on the bipod, and with the wind picking up from time to time.!
After shooting these riles, my buddy commented  "Well I guess that Douglas shoots just fine, doesn't it?"  "Yep, it's terrific with this good ammo, but it's what I expected, just like my Douglas SPR." I said.
"You have a Douglas barrelled SPR?" he aksed.  
"Yes" I replied, "It shoots just like yours, or my Krieger, and I've got a Nightforce NSX on it too, just like yours."

"Well why didn't you say so?" he said.  
I just shook my head.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#41]
FedEx dropped off my Mk12 Mod 1 upper this morning. Looks great! It's gonna have to ride on my BCM carbine lower until I get a new lower for it. Next step is the bipod and adapter, sights, and the lower receiver. The last part will be the suppressor.

Thanks again to Kevin at High Caliber sales; I couldn't recommend him more!

And the three piece band

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Originally Posted By starduks:

3k  give or take.

Are you figuring in the suppressor as well?  I fully intend to build one well under $3k but that's with no suppressor and an optic under $400, and not including the lower.  With that said, I doubt the purists will consider mine a Mk12.

On the topic of 18" barrels VS. 20" barrels, I wager a 16" mid-length Mk12 would be quite sick...

no supressor but nf or loupy glass.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KJO] [#43]
Birddog –– I am pleased that you are pleased –– good shooting!

Erik –– Alan was real involved with the Crane "builds" –– those builds, as I'm sure you know, were completed in southern OH by some retired mil gents; the Douglas barrels were contoured and chambered (the chamber is proprietary) by the guy from TN I mentioned previously.

Alan retired 1 1/2 - 2 years ago when we started High Caliber –– up until that point in time there were not other machinists providing Douglas barrel work per Alan.  Since he retired there might have been some replacement barrels from elsewhere....?  Our current order came from a solicitation picked up by a vendor who tracked us down –– could be the same has happened previously since Alan left....

Edwin –– always good to hear from you –– I continue to TRY to emulate your collection!.  As you implied –– there are a lot of good barrel makers out there –– the one thing I can add is that the MK262 ammo was developed using these barrels with this chamber and the combo has been mighty effective.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it......;-)

Kevin

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Kevin,
Much appreciated on the info. I have been using them for years now. MOD 0. Great guns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
FedEx dropped off my Mk12 Mod 1 upper this morning. Looks great! It's gonna have to ride on my BCM carbine lower until I get a new lower for it. Next step is the bipod and adapter, sights, and the lower receiver. The last part will be the suppressor.

Thanks again to Kevin at High Caliber sales; I couldn't recommend him more!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii190/Birddog4570/Jan2011001.jpg

And the three piece band

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii190/Birddog4570/Jan2011003.jpg

That's a lotta goodness packed  into one case
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#46]
This is my Favorite thread by far. I've been meaning to build one forever but the price of everything was the only thing stopping me. I finally said screw it and have been buying parts ever since. I'm all done except for the scope. I think I'll be going with Nightforce. When I go home on leave in May It'll be like christmas opening up all the boxes and putting it all together. Itll be styled after a Mod1 but it wont be true to spec.  Thanks for posting all the kickass pics!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Right off the bat, I wish I had never come accross this thread.  Now by bank account is about 3k lighter

I've got my mod0 assembled and I want to sight her in but none of my 3 different front sight tools will work.  Anyone got a bead on one that is definitely compatible?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By justin_schuyler:

Right off the bat, I wish I had never come accross this thread.  Now by bank account is about 3k lighter

I've got my mod0 assembled and I want to sight her in but none of my 3 different front sight tools will work.  Anyone got a bead on one that is definitely compatible?

I usually stick a small roll pin or allen key to push down the spring loaded pin and turn the head with needle nose pliers or a multi tool.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#49]

Can someone help me out: I really LIKE the mk 12 mod 0/1... but I have a hard time rationalizing their existence.

With the growth and return to a lot of 20" barrels, why go to the mk 12's 18"? with the telescopic sight, it's clearly not going to be a CQB rifle... so it seems like you may as well go with a 20".

Can someone enlighten me? What am I missing?

I have both 20" and 18" AR15 rifles. I find that neither one is more accurate then the other. I do find that my 20" HBARs are very front heavy vs my 18" HBARs. The Mk 12 rifles are also made to mount a suppressor which is long so it helps to shorten the overall length of the rifles.

Others with more knowledge may give a better answer then I can. These are just my thoughts as to why they went with an 18" over the 20" barrel.

I'm way out of my lane on this one, but I thought we all accept the modern theory that barrel length and accuracy have very little direct relation at all. A longer barrel will translate to better muzzle velocity and sometimes a longer sight radius, but I thought the longer barrel better accuracy idea was dead??

a 20" mk12 with or without a can would be a tremendous bitch to handle imo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556fmj] [#50]
Bump for Kevin and Al at High Caliber Sales.  I bought an Mk12 Mod1 upper from them when they first opened up for business.  Damn fine workmanship and great customer service.  To the rest of the guys...some nice pics of your uppers.  I'll try to post one of mine later when I get home from work.

Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top