AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:
Good day, all.

Have a question - is anyone else in the marketplace supplying "correct" Mk 12 barrels other than High Caliber Sales and Centurion Arms?  Both of these companies seem to have a good rep on various forums, but after contacting HCS recently, I was informed that the gentleman (named Gene?) in Tennessee who actually used to make the barrels for US SOCOM and HCS out of Douglas blanks is no longer making them due to age and health issues.  I was majorly bummed to hear this news as I really want the "real deal" for this build.

I want a barrel that is worthy of putting on a Mod 0 clone upper.  What are my options?  

Also, is anyone out there machining flats on the barrel for the PRI front sight/gas block set screws?  Or is everyone these days taking the easy route w/ the clamp style PRI FSB?

Just not sure which route to take.  Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
View Quote

I went with a CLE Douglas on my 1 and a WOA on my 0. They both shoot like a house fire. The WOA was half the cost.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

I went with a CLE Douglas on my 1 and a WOA on my 0. They both shoot like a house fire. The WOA was half the cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Good day, all.

Have a question - is anyone else in the marketplace supplying "correct" Mk 12 barrels other than High Caliber Sales and Centurion Arms?  Both of these companies seem to have a good rep on various forums, but after contacting HCS recently, I was informed that the gentleman (named Gene?) in Tennessee who actually used to make the barrels for US SOCOM and HCS out of Douglas blanks is no longer making them due to age and health issues.  I was majorly bummed to hear this news as I really want the "real deal" for this build.

I want a barrel that is worthy of putting on a Mod 0 clone upper.  What are my options?  

Also, is anyone out there machining flats on the barrel for the PRI front sight/gas block set screws?  Or is everyone these days taking the easy route w/ the clamp style PRI FSB?

Just not sure which route to take.  Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Can confirm the price of WOA being titties, and their accuracy being on par with barrels costing a *LOT* more.  My Mod 1 is excellent with damn near everything i put through it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#3]
Good day, all.

View Quote

I personally recommend CLE. Give them a shout, they'll mill your flats for you before coating the barrel. Just gotta ship them the sight and good to go.

One thing to keep in mind is the collar fitment. CLE barrel with long collar you get nearly 4 turns with the can, typically you want 7 or 8. I run mine at 4 turns (with shims).

Attachment Attached File

A Mk12 deserves a Douglas, dont short yourself. WOA prices are appealing, sure...but the heart of this platform lies within the barrel, do it right
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive the Colt lower. Ended up with the 50 on the MOD 1 for now will probably play with the 24 a little but it’s sitting on my MK17 currently.

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#5]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
Forgive the Colt lower. Ended up with the 50 on the MOD 1 for now will probably play with the 24 a little but it’s sitting on my MK17 currently.
https://i.imgur.com/d2TyqDC.jpg

View Quote

The big NF looks good. Thats what I want to have on mine and use the x24 for a Recce. Plus, I just want an FFP ...
Attachment Attached File

@DStepec, here she be with the no NSN 99051
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

The big NF looks good. Thats what I want to have on mine and use the x24 for a Recce. Plus, I just want an FFP ...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488238/20200818_214131_jpg-1555014.JPG
View Quote

nice stick!
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
cant stop, wont stop.

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#8]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
cant stop, wont stop.

https://i.ibb.co/10SBJkZ/IMG-20200820-203703762.jpg
View Quote

I hope you dont mind, I may be hitting you up in the near future about getting some chopped
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
cant stop, wont stop.

View Quote

Just emailed you brother
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488238/20200818_214131_jpg-1555014.JPG
View Quote

Yeahhh buddy, HUGE upgrade in my opinion, lookin sweet!
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#11]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

Yeahhh buddy, HUGE upgrade in my opinion, lookin sweet!
View Quote

Thanks man! Appreciate the hook up. Now, which one do I like more...how does one decide..
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks man! Appreciate the hook up. Now, which one do I like more...how does one decide..
View Quote

Slings should be tied up next week. All materials in hand and cut to size!
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Looking forward to seein' em.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Cool beans, lmk! Your prototype turned out excellent, eager to see these
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPshooter1] [#15]

I personally recommend CLE. Give them a shout, they'll mill your flats for you before coating the barrel. Just gotta ship them the sight and good to go.

One thing to keep in mind is the collar fitment. CLE barrel with long collar you get nearly 4 turns with the can, typically you want 7 or 8. I run mine at 4 turns (with shims).

A Mk12 deserves a Douglas, dont short yourself. WOA prices are appealing, sure...but the heart of this platform lies within the barrel, do it right
View Quote
Thanks so much for the input.  And nice rifle, too!  Thanks to all the others who chimed in as well.

The WOA option looks affordable, but I see no mention of a black finish or a service for milling the flats.  I like that CLE would be a one-stop shop, and it looks like they take their barrel business pretty seriously, which is a good sign.

Another thing I wanted to bring up is that Kevin @ HCS told me theirs is the only barrel with a "correct" dark gray KG gunkote tv heat cured finish.  How does that compare to the Cerakote C-series used by CLE both from a "visual correctness" standpoint compared to the original "late" Mod0 as well as general durability?

Finally, I noticed CLE offers a "CLE" chamber and a .223 Wylde chamber option for their Mk12 barrels.  I hate choices.  Which do I want and why if I'm planning on shooting primarily Black Hills Mk262 Mod1 ammo?  This is why I was hoping the original suppliers to the military were still around and making these barrels!  I just want it to be as accurate as possible with spec Mk262 Mod1 loads.  What exactly is the original chamber spec on the Mk 12 SPR, if not "CLE" or Wylde spec?

Thanks again.  You guys are fantastic!

P.s.  Can you explain the collar situation in a bit more detail?  I understand what you're saying in regards to the number of turns, shims, etc., but I'm a little confused on why there would be collar length options for a true Mk 12 spec barrel.  Is there not only one "correct" collar length for a Mod 0 + AEM5 suppressor?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a guy interested in trading my 42 for a 24 Nightforce. What ring size is everyone using with the 24? 1.375"
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#17]
Thanks so much for the input.  And nice rifle, too!  Thanks to all the others who chimed in as well.

The WOA option looks affordable, but I see no mention of a black finish or a service for milling the flats.  I like that CLE would be a one-stop shop, and it looks like they take their barrel business pretty seriously, which is a good sign.

Another thing I wanted to bring up is that Kevin @ HCS told me theirs is the only barrel with a "correct" dark gray KG gunkote tv heat cured finish.  How does that compare to the Cerakote C-series used by CLE both from a "visual correctness" standpoint compared to the original "late" Mod0 as well as general durability?

Finally, I noticed CLE offers a "CLE" chamber and a .223 Wylde chamber option for their Mk12 barrels.  I hate choices.  Which do I want and why if I'm planning on shooting primarily Black Hills Mk262 Mod1 ammo?  This is why I was hoping the original suppliers to the military were still around and making these barrels!  I just want it to be as accurate as possible with spec Mk262 Mod1 loads.  What exactly is the original chamber spec on the Mk 12 SPR, if not "CLE" or Wylde spec?

P.s.  Can you explain the collar situation in a bit more detail?  I understand what you're saying in regards to the number of turns, shims, etc., but I'm a little confused on why there would be collar length options for a true Mk 12 spec barrel.  Is there not only one "correct" collar length for a Mod 0 + AEM5 suppressor?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Top is CLE with duracoat finish, bottom is HCS.
Attachment Attached File

I think this is ITW. (Early mod 0/SPR) Standard issue with torch lighter

I went with CLE chamber, I understood that to be a 5.56 chamber and felt that it matched spec more than a wylde would. You wont be disappointed with it, it'll do everything an HCS douglas will do. CLE is very responsive via email and will answer specific questions you may have too, 10/10 recommend them solely on their customer service. Shoots like a laser, no performance differences between my CLE and HCS that I've noticed...other than user incompetencies

As for collars, the only correct collar across the board is the long collar. Some barrels aren't 100% proper in profile, making it so collar doesn't seat (stops on the fsgb before the step). This is when the short collar steps into play, the shorty (as far as I understand, im not an expert) was made to go on these barrels. With the short collar I was able to get the 7 or 8 turns, but I couldn't get around that it didn't look right.
Attachment Attached File

The gap between the gb and ass end of the collar were bothersome, compare it to the cased one above. The collar sits on or stops JUST before the gb for issued uppers.

Hope this helps and im not just blowing smoke up one's ass. I'm not exactly used to giving thorough advice on this thread, I usually receive it

Also, if i remember right, I had to shim the break in order to time it properly.

Originally Posted By mra4523:
I've got a guy interested in trading my 42 for a 24 Nightforce. What ring size is everyone using with the 24? 1.375"
View Quote

I'm using A203 (1.5"), gives a very comfortable feel to it for me, and I THINK I've seen some ITW pics of 1.5's used. I dont know for certain, but they do look taller than the typical high rings. Can't find the picture of the one in mind atm, I'll post it up later when I find it. Pic of mine is a few posts above
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
https://i.imgur.com/d2TyqDC.jpg

View Quote

What model is the BIG NF? Still trying to decide on glass for my model one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#19]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:

View Quote

3-15x50 (C429A)

Comparison to the 24 for size reference

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#20]

3-15x50 (C429A)

https://i.imgur.com/NNfyPo9.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:

3-15x50 (C429A)

Love the look of Nightforce optics on SOCOM guns.

Reminds me that I need to get an optic for my SCAR 17 as well since moving my Leupold Mk6 over to my M-110k clone.

Working on getting a x24 though for my Mk12.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you will be very happy with cle, on my yote rifle I run a cle kreiger 1.7.7 in spr profile so I can use the ops inc can. It has their chamber which is very close to 5.56 in specs.
This is a pic from alittle load developement, 52 eldm's and varget, not to fast just about 3050 but accurate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#22]
Negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]

3-15x50 (C429A)

View Quote

Thanks does it feel clunky and oversized for the gun? I wang a little more magnification than 10 power but I feel like going to a 50mm objective will make it feel awkward. A x15 would be great as far as magnification would go.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Clunky? not to me

Oversized? A little bit

Come join the x50 master race and don't look back

Either the larue or badger unimount work and look great. I went with LT for the QD

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#25]
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:
Clunky? not to me

Oversized? A little bit

Either the larue or badger unimount work and look great. I went with LT for the QD

https://i.imgur.com/UAAMEiZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bPibgUs.jpg
View Quote

This looks great ^^

The Mod 1 is an overweight beauty as it is, might as well put the big boy on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#26]
What's the deal with the NXS 2.5-10x24? Is it really discontinued or is it that NF just produces small batches of them every so often?

It was 2015 when they announced they were releasing a limited run to the civilian market, but they have been available since that time, no?

Whenever they go out of stock at certain online retailers, they say it's discontinued, but they seem to come back into stock again after a good while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
What's the deal with the NXS 2.5-10x24? Is it really discontinued or is it that NF just produces small batches of them every so often?

It was 2015 when they announced they were releasing a limited run to the civilian market, but they have been available since that time, no?

Whenever they go out of stock at certain online retailers, they say it's discontinued, but they seem to come back into stock again after a good while.
View Quote

AFAIK, that 2015 run was the last bit. Not sure if the ones popping up as of late are NIB or used
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#28]

AFAIK, that 2015 run was the last bit. Not sure if the ones popping up as of late are NIB or used
View Quote

Mine from euro last week was NIB
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#29]

View All Quotes

The difference In chamberings from CLE comes down to what you want to do with the rifle. If you plan on using the rifle for Shtf, I’d opt for the Wylde chamber. If the gun is just for targets and you want as much accuracy as you can get then I’d opt for the Cle chamber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess I do have a thing for Knights Armament Rails Please ignore the Faux Ops Inc Suppressor

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheShlouf:
Clunky? not to me

Oversized? A little bit

https://i.imgur.com/UAAMEiZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bPibgUs.jpg
View Quote

Looks great. What larue mount works best? I have a lt158 setting on it at the minute with no glass. I only did a foot print build (minor changes) and planned on using a viper pst 3-15 until I could afford the nf atacr I want. But that nxs looks sexy. I was afraid a 50mm objective would be to big and was trying to stay in the 42-44mm range. I know many feel going over 10-12 power kills the purpose of the rifle but I prefer a bit more.

Sorry to derail from clone aspect.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#32]
This showed up today, new old stock Recon Nav-Spec marked 2.5-10x24 with NP-1 reticle! They only made 5 or 6 of these military scopes with the NP-1 reticle, this is the only one I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
This showed up today, new old stock Recon Nav-Spec marked 2.5-10x24 with NP-1 reticle! They only made 5 or 6 of these military scopes with the NP-1 reticle, this is the only one I've ever seen.

https://i.imgur.com/9HAsYSm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jfs5NRQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Wgx6KWR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h2jYytB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Gl6fCqI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/stk8gWU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/B5PW6MX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bQdQDKF.jpg
View Quote

Can we be friends just so I can look at your stuff... ?? haha! Awesome score
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Can we be friends just so I can look at your stuff... ?? haha! Awesome score
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#35]

https://i.imgur.com/Nb5ebMq.jpg
View Quote

*insert drool emoji* amazing collection, sir
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#36]
@kmcale

Your post above was immensely helpful.  Thank you very much!

Compass Lake Engineering told me the military rifles actually had NATO spec chambers and they can give the barrel a NATO chamber if desired.  These folks seem to be very easy to work with, which is great.

A few more detailed questions regarding the barrels:

1.  What kind of crown were the original barrels given?  Curious if they have a deep target crown or just a regular mil-spec type crown seen on a M4A1, etc.

2.  Were the original barrels marked in any way other than the obvious caliber designation?  For example, did they say "Douglas" anywhere or did the machinist who turned the barrel inscribe their initials or something to that effect?

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]

https://i.imgur.com/Nb5ebMq.jpg
View Quote

All I can say after I pick my jaw up...lol

Well done...

I feel really out of place now...I subscribe to this thread....don’t open often , as I know I’ll be bit..already have been..but to commit,.

I have goose egg to add to this thread..not even 1 Nightforce...

I really need to just build a mod 1...been telling myself no...as I have a addicting personality,.ocd..thing..
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 6:57:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#38]
@kmcale

2.  Were the original barrels marked in any way other than the obvious caliber designation?  For example, did they say "Douglas" anywhere or did the machinist who turned the barrel inscribe their initials or something to that effect?

View Quote

These are the only markings on my take off barrel.

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#39]
@kmcale

Your post above was immensely helpful.  Thank you very much!

Compass Lake Engineering told me the military rifles actually had NATO spec chambers and they can give the barrel a NATO chamber if desired.  These folks seem to be very easy to work with, which is great.

A few more detailed questions regarding the barrels:

1.  What kind of crown were the original barrels given?  Curious if they have a deep target crown or just a regular mil-spec type crown seen on a M4A1, etc.

View Quote

They did indeed have nato chambers. If going for max clone correctness stick with the nato, if you want a little more accuracy potential  while keeping comparable reliability go with the wylde (The only difference is it has a tighter leade than the NATO).  If you want the most accuracy possible get the CLE chamber (this will not be as reliable as the wylde or NATO chamber).
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#40]
cant stop, wont stop.

View Quote

I love that you're still doing these. Good shit dude.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#42]
If work ever actually chills out, I'll get some proper pics done.

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#43]

They did indeed have nato chambers. If going for max clone correctness stick with the nato, if you want a little more accuracy potential  while keeping comparable reliability go with the wylde (The only difference is it has a tighter leade than the NATO).  If you want the most accuracy possible get the CLE chamber (this will not be as reliable as the wylde or NATO chamber).
View Quote

Why would the CLE not be as reliable?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
If work ever actually chills out, I'll get some proper pics done.

https://i.imgur.com/AxptzkR.jpg
View Quote

Is the sun's angle just really extreme or are those FCG pins really proud?
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 9:15:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#45]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

Tighter chambers are in general less reliable. There is less tolerance for differences in ammunition & when the rifle is dirty or in harsh environments.

ETA: it’s likely most will never use a rifle to the point where there would be an issue. My opinion is that I would not want a CLE chamber on a rifle that was my go to shtf hard use rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Had fun with the MK12 and NSW 15.1 today.. Didn’t get a chance to shoot any BH 77gr to compare.. Both Rifles are Zeroed to IMI 77gr @ 100yrds

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:

Is the sun's angle just really extreme or are those FCG pins really proud?
View Quote

There was an issue with the GG2 on this lower, I have to go back over it with a jig and router. The pocket was too far forwards and to the left but the pins are in the right spot. It shifted the selector and trigger alignment off to one side as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#48]

There was an issue with the GG2 on this lower, I have to go back over it with a jig and router. The pocket was too far forwards and to the left but the pins are in the right spot. It shifted the selector and trigger alignment off to one side as well.
View Quote

Gotcha.

Looked off, wasn't sure.  Good to know it's a known thang....didn't want stuff fallin out at the range.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Feel ya buddy, this H&R has made me wonder why I do this shit for some markings.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84711/00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200606134513-1452191.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84711/00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200606134513-1452191.jpg
Take off from what, exactly?  Is that "PMP" I see?  Wonder if those are initials or just the equivalent to "MPC" in the Colt world...

I'm definitely going to go with the NATO chamber.  Not so much for clone correctness, but because I value reliability as much as accuracy in a platform like this.  It was made to be a far-reaching 5.56mm service weapon, so I don't want to deviate too far from that original recipe by messing with custom chamber specs.  That's just me though.  It's good to have options!
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top