AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vanquishings:
@blcouch
@Engel12626

Thanks to both of you. Guess I was googling the wrong thing!

Looks like my idea will work after all.... I think.... LOL
View Quote
I had ADCO chop/profile a LT Stealth barrel for the Mod H. They will have to turn you a custom collar if you go that route, but it's no big deal.

Mine turned out great and I'm happy I did it. Probably going to have the same thing done to a LT 20" I have laying around for Mod 1-ish rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

How do you like the MTM carrier/tray setup... I noticed one of those in the calalog and looked like a good idea, as long as it can support the ammo weight OK?
View Quote
Just got it but it seems sturdy. Good for range days when you're shooting multiple calibers
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sommere54:

I had ADCO chop/profile a LT Stealth barrel for the Mod H. They will have to turn you a custom collar if you go that route, but it's no big deal.

Mine turned out great and I'm happy I did it. Probably going to have the same thing done to a LT 20" I have laying around for Mod 1-ish rifle.
View Quote
Yup, thinking something like that, actually. I emailed Larue to see if that .750 continued from the gas port on, but if you had to have a custom collar done, it sounds like it doesn't. I have a 16" Bartlein, and I'm itching to make the can flush with a 13" rail, but I think that might be cutting it too close.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Which Docter Red Dot and Mount for Mod1?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone remember the long collars Badger made, what was the size of the set screw? Mine disappeared loooonng ago and there's a chance my H will be getting the AEM5 on it in the future.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:38:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#7]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Does anyone remember the long collars Badger made, what was the size of the set screw? Mine disappeared loooonng ago and there's a chance my H will be getting the AEM5 on it in the future.
View Quote
hmmmmm.....mine is red loctited in....ill see what key fits it. 

2mm and 5/64 fit in there if its any help. might be easier to call them cause its a shallow fit one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
View Quote
I can measure mine when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I got my fake can:

After I took these pictures, I tried moving the collar further down the barrel towards the gas block and managed to conceal about another inch of the barrel in the fake can so the overall length looks shorter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
I think a custom faux can that shrouds another 2" would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Made up a UMSS adapter for my TAS-1 Sling...

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Also, more info here specifically on the Leupold's...  Leupold models for MK12
View Quote
So TMR is legit as issue glass?  I like it because it leaves FOV less cluttered.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

wow where did you get the 80% M16 lower?
View Quote
It would be Da Schnizz if you had Braceman engrave an A2 lower with the same serial# as the deployment rifle you used the Mod1 upper on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
So TMR is legit as issue glass?  I like it because it leaves FOV less cluttered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Also, more info here specifically on the Leupold's...  Leupold models for MK12
It has been discussed in length many times, but yes. 2006+ Leupold added TMR to the lineup, so there's a likelihood that some Mk12s in SF use had Illum TMR 2.5-8s, and I'm pretty sure all or most of the Marine Corps ones were TMR. By 2006 it seems use of the Mk12 was dropping off and supposedly the bulk of them were all built by 2004, so one would assume the glass that they wore was up to that timeframe barring replacement orders.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#15]
It would be Da Schnizz if you had Braceman engrave an A2 lower with the same serial# as the deployment rifle you used the Mod1 upper on.
View All Quotes

wow where did you get the 80% M16 lower?
That,s next, I still have that serial # and all my SI serial numbers from that deployment

Just spent $400 getting my sons Go kart operational, man that thing is fast

Nice to have a new clutch, brakes, shocks and tires that don't go flat overnight

Gonna do teach him how to shoot while I am driving at my range

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice
 I switched out my uni mount for some Arms rings, did it for looks only.

Uni mount is a great mount, you will not be dissapointed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
http://i.imgur.com/5neD2QI.jpg

Finally found a good deal on a 99051, and Larue got replaced with a Unimount
Nice
 I switched out my uni mount for some Arms rings, did it for looks only.

Uni mount is a great mount, you will not be dissapointed.
Thanks! Might switch to rings when I get around to finding a more permanent scope for this thing. Something 3-15x flavored probably, haven't decided.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Had some fun today.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
How long and what temp are you guys heating your gas blocks up to get them on? Also, is it cool to have the gas tube installed when you do?

Asking for a friend...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cbfurg:
How long and what temp are you guys heating your gas blocks up to get them on? Also, is it cool to have the gas tube installed when you do?

Asking for a friend...
View Quote
I heated my gas block with a propane torch and froze the barrel in my freezer. Still would barely budge. Ended up taking brute force to get it on. A hammer may have been invloved. I would not recommend doing what I did,  but it worked. Luckily spray paint covers up a lot
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:11:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#20]

Asking for a friend...
View Quote
I would use a set of telescoping gauges and a micrometer or a internal micrometer and see what those journal sizes are.

All of my badgers are spot on @ .750 now my barrels have been +/- .002 at times. That can be do to several things. If you Coates the barrel with Gun Coat or Duracoat it may be over the slip fit. Cerakote normally will add .0006 to the diameter.

If you are doing your own coating use a caliber and measure the badger 1.000 buy some blue paint tape and mask the GB journal off. The. Coated it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Alright gents, had a rough range day with the Mk12 yesterday and I'm curious if anyone else has ever had similar issues.  First time using an optic other than a 3x magnifier. This is 20 rounds of IMI 77gr (all I brought) just to familiarize myself, and since I forgot to bring plain old 55gr to the range.

This was at a local PD range at what I think was 25yds; distance wasn't marked and I gave up on the 100yd target after this malfunction.  I switched to Federal match 77gr. .223 next magazine and right away the bolt got stuck and would not go into battery.  Tried to mortar it, but it was damaging the range table and the ground was too muddy to be effective. Finally got the bolt pulled back after hitting it with lots of clp and wiggling the bcg back and forth. The round looked fine, chamber looked fine,bolt and carrier looked fine, barrel wasn't overly fouled, everything was sufficiently lubed at this point, etc.

Switched to BH 77gr., my father got 3 shots off then the same thing happened. This time I had to use a screw driver in the hollow of the bcg and mallet to get the bcg out. Again, nothing seems wrong visually, and I've fired all of these brand before with no issues. It was incredibly humid out.  

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? It's just a regular BCM bolt carrier group.

Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By daojag:
Alright gents, had a rough range day with the Mk12 yesterday and I'm curious if anyone else has ever had similar issues.  First time using an optic other than a 3x magnifier. This is 20 rounds of IMI 77gr (all I brought) just to familiarize myself, and since I forgot to bring plain old 55gr to the range.

http://i.imgur.com/pWfl8NC.jpg

This was at a local PD range at what I think was 25yds; distance wasn't marked and I gave up on the 100yd target after this malfunction.  I switched to Federal match 77gr. .223 next magazine and right away the bolt got stuck and would not go into battery.  Tried to mortar it, but it was damaging the range table and the ground was too muddy to be effective. Finally got the bolt pulled back after hitting it with lots of clp and wiggling the bcg back and forth. The round looked fine, chamber looked fine,bolt and carrier looked fine, barrel wasn't overly fouled, everything was sufficiently lubed at this point, etc.

Switched to BH 77gr., my father got 3 shots off then the same thing happened. This time I had to use a screw driver in the hollow of the bcg and mallet to get the bcg out. Again, nothing seems wrong visually, and I've fired all of these brand before with no issues. It was incredibly humid out.  

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? It's just a regular BCM bolt carrier group.

http://i.imgur.com/7h8CzYV.jpg
View Quote
What barrel & chamber?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daojag] [#23]
Douglas SPR/Mk12 barrel with CLE Match chamber.

ETA: I've used everything from cheap xm193 to BH unicorn rounds and never had an issue then I take it to show off to family and I only make it 23 rounds before having to break out the tools.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:
I would use a set of telescoping gauges and a micrometer or a internal micrometer and see what those journal sizes are.

All of my badgers are spot on @ .750 now my barrels have been +/- .002 at times. That can be do to several things. If you Coates the barrel with Gun Coat or Duracoat it may be over the slip fit. Cerakote normally will add .0006 to the diameter.

If you are doing your own coating use a caliber and measure the badger 1.000 buy some blue paint tape and mask the GB journal off. The. Coated it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/IMG_2673-281808.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/IMG_2674-281810.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:

Asking for a friend...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/IMG_2673-281808.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/IMG_2674-281810.JPG
Bought a High Caliber Sales barrel. I'll take some measurements tonight but I went in knowing guys were having to heat up blocks to get them on. Really wanting to know what temp, how long, and is it alright to have the gas tube in when I do.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
gentlemen, I have a question about the Black Hills 77 gr ammo. Has anyone used the Blue box reman .223 and compared it to the factory new 5.56 stuff in their MK12? Curious if the factory new is really worth 12 more dollars a box.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
gentlemen, I have a question about the Black Hills 77 gr ammo. Has anyone used the Blue box reman .223 and compared it to the factory new 5.56 stuff in their MK12? Curious if the factory new is really worth 12 more dollars a box.
View Quote
At what ranges and what do you want to do?  I run the blue box reman when im just out slapping steel, if I want to shoot groups i'll buy a box of factory new stuff.  It all depends what im doing. I mostly shoot steel out to 3 or 4 hundred yards so the reman stuff does the job well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking to run out to 600, possibly more when I'm able. Have you done any group comparisons between the two?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Bought a High Caliber Sales barrel. I'll take some measurements tonight but I went in knowing guys were having to heat up blocks to get them on. Really wanting to know what temp, how long, and is it alright to have the gas tube in when I do.
View Quote
I used a heat gun, like one you would use for removing paint.  I heated it to the point where it was too hot to comfortably hold (maybe 20 or 30 seconds with my heat gun), and it slid on smooth as silk (when it would so tight at room temperature it would have needed hammered on).  I cleaned up the gas block bore with a brake cylinder hone beforehand because it was absurdly tight, I didn't want to stress the block.  White oak barrel and geissele gas block, ymmv.  Having the gas tube in shouldn't hurt anything because it is going to get plenty hot when shooting it, but I put the gas block on without it and installed tube later just cause.

The first attempt, I didn't align it fast enough and I had to knock it off and redo.  It cools quick, I had the heat gun plugged in at the house and the action and barrel in a vise in the garage.  I was a lot quicker the second time around, and I have some piece of mind knowing that even if the screws are loose it's not going to move easy on it own.  With the tight fit, double dimples and proper torque, I feel comfortable enough to not use threadlocker or worry about gas block pinning.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking to run out to 600, possibly more when I'm able. Have you done any group comparisons between the two?
View Quote
I would probably run the factory stuff.  Im not all that great of a shooter, at 100 they seem to be nearly identical.  I would put my shooting errors over an edge to factory vs reman at that distance.  I have not shot past 100 on  paper.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By plinker8:

I would probably run the factory stuff.  Im not all that great of a shooter, at 100 they seem to be nearly identical.  I would put my shooting errors over an edge to factory vs reman at that distance.  I have not shot past 100 on  paper.
View Quote
Cool thanks, I'll probably run some reman to see how it does, might get a case of it to burn and then get some factory new to set back for rainy day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool. Looks like I need to pick up a heat gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blcouch] [#32]
Last piece for my .22 clone to clone my 5.56 clone

This is the 7.62 version of the ARMS rail. It's easier to find than the 5.56 version.  $105 or so from Mounting Solutions through Walmart.com!  Last pic shows how you can cut/file off an inch and a half or so to make it work with the shorter 5.56 upper receivers. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#33]

Cool thanks, I'll probably run some reman to see how it does, might get a case of it to burn and then get some factory new to set back for rainy day.
View Quote
With Black Hills, I shoot the red box 77 OTM mostly... I did pick up a couple of the white box (which is actually MK262 Mod1 2nds/overuns) but didn't notice much of a difference.  I chrono'd them a while back and the white box was consistently about 50 fps faster out of my 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#34]
In case anybody is searching for an authentic A1 stock, there's a guy on gunbroker selling military M16A1 take off shells for 39 bucks plus shipping. Some are in very good shape and have rack numbers (which I kind of like). Just search "M16A1 stock".
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By blcouch:
Last piece for my .22 clone to clone my 5.56 clone

This is the 7.62 version of the ARMS rail. It's easier to find than the 5.56 version.  $105 or so from Mounting Solutions through Walmart.com!  Last pic shows how you can cut/file off an inch and a half or so to make it work with the shorter 5.56 upper receivers. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65572/IMG_3400-282132.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65572/IMG_3401-282133.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65572/IMG_3402-282135.JPG
View Quote
THABKS! thats an easy endmill cit away from good to go. ill grab one of them for a build i have to do
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#36]
What scope reticle was used on the mk12 mod1? Was it a mil dot or the tmr?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#37]
Originally Posted By Sjmart20:
What scope reticle was used on the mk12 mod1? Was it a mil dot or the tmr?
View Quote
Both. There were multiple models throughout the years that were classified as TS-30 and TS-30 A2. Most were mil-dot and the very last revision (112633) was TMR.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#38]
@krg_ops recent MK12 Monday posts. This rifle looks familiar!

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mvician] [#39]
PAINT!

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Next you need to build a mount on top that buggy and start chasing the piggies!

That,s next, I still have that serial # and all my SI serial numbers from that deployment

Just spent $400 getting my sons Go kart operational, man that thing is fast

Nice to have a new clutch, brakes, shocks and tires that don't go flat overnight

Gonna do teach him how to shoot while I am driving at my range

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-1519-269872.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By reswob:
@krg_ops recent MK12 Monday posts. This rifle looks familiar!

https://i.imgur.com/yVmamY0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K2k9P4l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/olfPyX2.jpg
View Quote
The poster: where could I get one?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I searched but could not find an answer.  The ERGO grip on the Mod 1, was it the ambi rigid or some other model.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By rbgonoles:
I searched but could not find an answer.  The ERGO grip on the Mod 1, was it the ambi rigid or some other model.  Thanks!
View Quote
From the first page........Grip: A1, A2, ERGO Original

ORIGINAL ERGO GRIP RIGHT HANDED – SUREGRIP™
http://ergogrips.net/shop/original-ergo-grip-suregrip-right-handed-black/
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Join a SEAL team.

krg_ops MK12 Monday! This poster used to hang in the team room - I always thought it was funny that almost all of the pics are mod 0s.
@krg_ops Instagram post regarding this poster
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By reswob:

Join a SEAL team.

@krg_ops Instagram post regarding this poster
View Quote
Whatever window there was for that closed back in 1994  for me
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#46]
My not clone correct MK12 MOD1. Took it shooting last weekend and zeroed it. Ran about 5 different 75 BTHP/77SMK loads through it.

-Brownells A1 profiled lower, a mix of ALG and Colt parts
-Geissele SD-C
-BCM A5 Receiver Extension, Rifle Spring, A5-H1 Buffer, Magpul ACS-L with a Battleline SAPR Gen 2 on the back
-NF 3-10x42 SHV MOAR (Non-Illum), Stolen ADM Recon from my 11.5" Mini Recce
-BCM4 Upper with a White Oak SPR barrel stuck in it, BCM BCG inside
-Salty Docter MRDS in a Predator Tactical Offset

Probably going to get a NF Unimount, and then rattle canned like the rest of the gun. If I can find another Vero Beach marked rail panel, I'll spray them and put them on the gun too. Also switch out to a teardrop FA plunger.

Shoutout to the Gun Gallery crew for the hookup on the NF, and Neil for talking glass and letting me check out some of the awesome clones in there on The Wall. Going to see you guys soon after we get moved into the new facility, and can manage a weekend off and some spare change. Hopefully in time for an SPR match.

-AC-

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SemperFortis202:

whats that docter mount homie?
View Quote
Docter and Burris FastFire Mount (Picatinny Weaver Style #410335) arrived. Mount was $35 vs the Docter one at $100

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#49]
So, I was poking around at the local gun shop today and stumbled on a Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm today.  $1,900CAD.  I took a look through it, great glass, crystal clear, barely any scope shadow,  but damn, that price.  

Buying in the US is not an option because ITAR.

Also, I noticed the turrets were a bit mushy??  Maybe it was just this example?

Anyway, I'm going to pass on a new one.  I can't in good conscience pay $1,900 for a SFP, moa scope.  Will keep my eye out for a very used one, the older and more beat up it is, the better, as long as the glass is clear and clean.  

My hats off to the true clone builders  who cough up for a Mark 4.

I also stumbled on a Docter sight for $320 CAD.  Not bad I though, until I read it was a 7moa dot.  What size dot is it supposed to be for a clone correct one?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:
So, I was poking around at the local gun shop today and stumbled on a Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm today.  $1,900CAD.  I took a look through it, great glass, crystal clear, barely any scope shadow,  but damn, that price.  

Buying in the US is not an option because ITAR.

Also, I noticed the turrets were a bit mushy??  Maybe it was just this example?

Anyway, I'm going to pass on a new one.  I can't in good conscience pay $1,900 for a SFP, moa scope.  Will keep my eye out for a very used one, the older and more beat up it is, the better, as long as the glass is clear and clean.  

My hats off to the true clone builders  who cough up for a Mark 4.

I also stumbled on a Docter sight for $320 CAD.  Not bad I though, until I read it was a 7moa dot.  What size dot is it supposed to be for a clone correct one?
View Quote
Wow.  In June I got my 2.5-8 non illum TMR for like $830US delivered.  It was NOS or something from a dealer on GunBroker.  I feel for you canuks.  You have some decent and some not so decent gun laws/regs to follow/be inconvenienced by.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top