Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
Can you guys post some pics of in the wild mod1s using the LaRue mount? Wanting to go a different route than the ARMS rings, but don't want to sacrifice clone correctness for comfort. Also, what mount yall using for the doctor on the trr?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARdvark] [#2]
First time actually trying to group with my mod 1.

77 grain IMI OTM, 100 yards sandbag

best two

The rest in the album, i'd fairly call this an MOA rifle.  Maybe better if I didnt suck at shooting!  also, yes they are 3 shot groups...

.526 low
1.776 high
1.15 average

http://imgur.com/a/EBSfa
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
New friend shooting Mk12 for the first time

Iain shooting suppressed Mk12 Mod1 ??
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you guys post some pics of in the wild mod1s using the LaRue mount? Wanting to go a different route than the ARMS rings, but don't want to sacrifice clone correctness for comfort. Also, what mount yall using for the doctor on the trr?
View Quote

Check Page 618 of this thread for one...  Seems like mounts are almost like slings ITW - We've seen LT104's, Badger Unimounts, NF rings, etc.

Of course you can always bridge the gap like this guy, but most do not recommend...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:14:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#5]
Originally Posted By ARdvark:
First time actually trying to group with my mod 1.

77 grain IMI OTM, 100 yards sandbag

best two
http://i.imgur.com/MogwUtb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GxdKvSR.jpg

The rest in the album, i'd fairly call this an MOA rifle.  Maybe better if I didnt suck at shooting!  also, yes they are 3 shot groups...

.526 low
1.776 high
1.15 average

http://imgur.com/a/EBSfa
View Quote

Nice job - I tried some IMI 77gr recently as well since it's a bit less costly that BH, and it did very well.

I was able to put 3 in one ragged hole at 100 today with my Mod 1 with AEM5 and BH MK262 Mod1 77g...  of course I had plenty more that were NOT in one hole ;), but at least I know the rifle is capable. of it. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Minuteman1636] [#6]
Is this the right sight for a Mod 0 from 2004? I think the sight below is the closest that I will get to the rifle that I am holding in the photo.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#7]
Disregard
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Not really.  The rifle you have pictured has the original front sight gas block with the thumb wheel elevation adjustment, these are really hard to find.  The newer sight you have pictured below without the thumb wheel looks more like the ones used on the newer mod 0 rifles with the Gen III Pri tubes, differences being as far as I know all of the Mk12 PRI FSGB used on the real guns were the set screw type and the one you have pictured and the is the cross bolt type that most people use on clones.  The set screw type is readily obtainable as far as I know the problem is most "SPR" profiled barrels don't have the flats milled for the set screws, ADCO can take care of this in quick order.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
@krg_ops
Our 2nd installment of Throwback Thursday: here's our main man with some rooftop target practice circa 2006. #krg_ops #kineticresearchgroup #krgthrowbackthursday #oif
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:18:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori] [#10]
Awesome pic.

Looks like an M24 peeking out behind the Mk12 too (you can see the barrel behind the front sight and the Harris).

Did the Army often shoot the MK12 side-by-side with the bolt guns? Was it usually two shooters or one switching between both rifles?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By reswob:

https://i.imgur.com/peWUGmP.jpg
View Quote

Good to see new photos of early guns
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By usnguns:
View Quote
DAT overgassedness 2 o clock ejection doe. always wanted to confirm that mk12's ran overgassed. good pic. 

PS: that mod 0 on the rooftop is Sexy McSexyson
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#13]
nvm for now
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone confirm that this is the correct collar for a Mod 1?

https://dsgarms.com/ale22-mount-kit

I know correct spec is the long collar, but I just tried to look up a shot of each and got overwhelmed with all the collars Allen Engineering makes. I know I need the SPR collar, but it seems like there's a long and a short, and I can't tell which this is in this package with the brake.

Thanks, fellas!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By vanquishings:

I know correct spec is the long collar, but I just tried to look up a shot of each and got overwhelmed with all the collars Allen Engineering makes. I know I need the SPR collar, but it seems like there's a long and a short, and I can't tell which this is in this package with the brake.

Thanks, fellas!
View Quote

That looks like a short one to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#16]

Thanks, fellas!
View Quote

Short - you can tell by the width of the full profile section aft of the taper.  The long collar is noticeably longer than the short collar in this area.  Forward of the taper they are about the same...

I don't know why ADCO specifies long for Mod 0 and short for Mod 1 - I was under the impression that long was correct for both.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My mod 0 upper from PRI came with a short collar. Long collar is correct though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, my understanding is that the long is correct for both, but it'd be nice to know for sure. I'm going Mod 1 so I don't have to worry about a FSB encroaching on collar territory.

Is this the long? Want to confirm before I place my order.

http://www.capitolarmory.com/allen-engineering-locating-collar-spr.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, my understanding is that the long is correct for both, but it'd be nice to know for sure. I'm going Mod 1 so I don't have to worry about a FSB encroaching on collar territory.

Is this the long? Want to confirm before I place my order.

http://www.capitolarmory.com/allen-engineering-locating-collar-spr.html
View Quote

Long is correct for both. I believe they started making the short collar when PRI went away from the original FSGB with the elevation wheel.  It was slimmer in the front so the collar didn't interfere.  The new FSGB was causing the collar to hit it before resting on the shoulder of the barrel.

That looks like the long collar and that is what they say it is.  This one here if for sure the correct one, it's cheaper than the one you posted and ADCO is an awesome company.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Long is correct for both. I believe they started making the short collar when PRI went away from the original FSGB with the elevation wheel.  It was slimmer in the front so the collar didn't interfere.  The new FSGB was causing the collar to hit it before resting on the shoulder of the barrel.

That looks like the long collar and that is what they say it is.  This one here if for sure the correct one, it's cheaper than the one you posted and ADCO is an awesome company.
View Quote

Ah, that makes sense. I've seen some of the older PRI wheel FSBs with the long collar and it is uncomfortably close. Makes sense they made a shorter one. I doubt it was a hard mod to begin with, using a grinding wheel, but it's nice they made one.

I love ADCO, but they're charging $25 for the thread protector. Site I linked to has this: http://www.capitolarmory.com/allen-engineering-aemb-muzzle-brake-mount.html

I know it's not much, but this build is crazy expensive, and I'm just trying to pinch some pennies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Ah, that makes sense. I've seen some of the older PRI wheel FSBs with the long collar and it is uncomfortably close. Makes sense they made a shorter one. I doubt it was a hard mod to begin with, using a grinding wheel, but it's nice they made one.

I love ADCO, but they're charging $25 for the thread protector. Site I linked to has this: http://www.capitolarmory.com/allen-engineering-aemb-muzzle-brake-mount.html

I know it's not much, but this build is crazy expensive, and I'm just trying to pinch some pennies.
View Quote

You are going about it all wrong.  Just hold your breath close your eyes and spend, it's only money, I'm sure you'll get more of it.  

Here is a good picture of how it was all originally supposed to go together.  You can see there isn't a lot of room and the new FSGB didn't have to be that much longer in the front to cause problems.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Check Page 618 of this thread for one...  Seems like mounts are almost like slings ITW - We've seen LT104's, Badger Unimounts, NF rings, etc.
http://i.imgur.com/8aPTUuQ.jpg

Of course you can always bridge the gap like this guy, but most do not recommend...
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/2hnuvrs_zpsjryfwgou.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By 78Staff:

http://i.imgur.com/8aPTUuQ.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/2hnuvrs_zpsjryfwgou.jpg
Yea I liked the badger one piece mount better than the Arms rings it used to have on it.

Please excuse my magpul back up sights, I sold my KAC sights a few years ago to help fund the YHM suppressor in the pic.

I have another KAC 600m sight, just haven't bought another front sight yet.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe I'm missing something, but I always thought the issue was barrel length differences.  The gas block position is based on the distance from the receiver, and the collar position is based on the muzzle.  If the barrel spec was 18" and your barrel is shorter, the distance between the gas block and collar is reduced - and so the collar doesn't seat properly.

With some barrels being 18.1" and some more like 17.9", the shorter barrels would have problems with the long collar and Mod0 gas block.

Am I looking at it wrong?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverTork] [#24]
The understanding I've gleaned from multiple posts on the collar and barrel dimension issue is that the original military specs only allowed ~3 threads of engagement for the suppressor and the military did not want to change the spec to allow the recommended 6 to 8 threads. When suppressors began selling to civilians OPS Inc. or Allen Engineering changed the barrel profile spec to move the step for the collar back a little and allow more thread engagement.  This resulted in the long collars contacting the PRI front sight base before the step on the barrel, thus the introduction of the shorter collar. I have a barrel from Centurion Arms and the long collar will definitely hit the front sight base before the the barrel step but I also get 7 full threads of engagement using the shorter collar.  It may be true but I have never seen side by side comparisons or measurements to show that the new and old front sight bases are significantly different sizes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Then you are in the wrong clone game mang
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By usnguns:
View Quote

Is this in the wild? Or somebody's personal rifle. And they weren't actually issued with them....like 3.5-10 on a mod1. Just kinda something that's excepted in the clone community. Like that one guy that put a LR/T on a mod1 from a mod0, still had the 22M's  on them and he had to move his buis cuz they wouldn't clear. So if this pic isn't of a SF Guy in civies, then the only pic of the LaRue mount is of that guy with the Premier? scope and funky stock? Not trying to bash anyone with these things on their mod1's, just trying to figure out my options. I understand their are "as issued" clones and "seen in the wild" clones. But when cloning a "seen in the wild" or "sitw" should one clone the whole rifle, or just the parts that are convenient for them. Like you don't pick out the things you like about Sgt Miller's rifle and say it was seen in the wild....you clone his fuckin rifle! Which btw was done beautifully.
  What I'm trying to figure out is if I go with a LaRue, would it be clone correct with my 2.5-8 or would I have to use that Premier and transformer stock?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone know when A.R.M.S., Inc, began producing #22 rings with the lever stops?

I found a shop online that has a bunch of #22H rings listed as in stock.  When I contacted them about whether any happened to be old stock without the lever stops, they told me that they couldn't pull them to check but that the rings arrived in their inventory in November 2013.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Doc_Lane:
Does anyone know when A.R.M.S., Inc, began producing #22 rings with the lever stops?

I found a shop online that has a bunch of #22H rings listed as in stock.  When I contacted them about whether any happened to be old stock without the lever stops, they told me that they couldn't pull them to check but that the rings arrived in their inventory in November 2013.
View Quote

Someone will come along shortly who knows but I can tell you it was approx 2013 when I built my Mod 0 and the rings I received had the lever stops.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I bought a set of #22M rings direct from A.R.M.S. in March of 2013 with stops.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMPRacing] [#30]
Originally Posted By TahoeLT:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I always thought the issue was barrel length differences.  The gas block position is based on the distance from the receiver, and the collar position is based on the muzzle.  If the barrel spec was 18" and your barrel is shorter, the distance between the gas block and collar is reduced - and so the collar doesn't seat properly.

With some barrels being 18.1" and some more like 17.9", the shorter barrels would have problems with the long collar and Mod0 gas block.

Am I looking at it wrong?
View Quote

When I contacted Ron Allen about my AEM-5 he said I would need the short collar with my set up.

17.9" CLE barrel
PRI through bolt flip front sight/gas block.

He also said the measurement from the leading edge of the threads on the brake to the start of the 20 deg. taper on the SPR collar should be close to 2.5".

Mine measured 2.27" when I had a long collar installed and 2.443" with the short. Also I needed to tighten my brake 270 deg. to get it aligned.

Brad

LONG COLLAR

SHORT COLLAR - Donated by B191299 - Thanks again bro!

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#31]

View Quote

It's been around 10 years if I had to guess.  There is a reason they are hard to find
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks, guys, for the info on the dates.  I assumed they had lever stops before late 2013, but figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Is this in the wild? Or somebody's personal rifle. And they weren't actually issued with them....like 3.5-10 on a mod1. Just kinda something that's excepted in the clone community. Like that one guy that put a LR/T on a mod1 from a mod0, still had the 22M's  on them and he had to move his buis cuz they wouldn't clear. So if this pic isn't of a SF Guy in civies, then the only pic of the LaRue mount is of that guy with the Premier? scope and funky stock? Not trying to bash anyone with these things on their mod1's, just trying to figure out my options. I understand their are "as issued" clones and "seen in the wild" clones. But when cloning a "seen in the wild" or "sitw" should one clone the whole rifle, or just the parts that are convenient for them. Like you don't pick out the things you like about Sgt Miller's rifle and say it was seen in the wild....you clone his fuckin rifle! Which btw was done beautifully.
  What I'm trying to figure out is if I go with a LaRue, would it be clone correct with my 2.5-8 or would I have to use that Premier and transformer stock?
View Quote

Well the pic with the Premier and LT104 is from a sniper comp at Bragg circa 2010 or thereabouts, if  I was running in a comp, I would like to have a better optic than was issued. With regards to the pic posted by usnguns, that appears to be a peq mounted on the left side. I'm sure certain units have a little leeway on which optics they run and how they are mounted, not sure that would extend into regular units.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey guys I got lucky enough to get a TS30A2 with a set of no lever stop #22 highs for $600.... Since I already have a set of brand new NLS #22 highs, I'll be letting these go. I'd really like a surplus Mk12 case if anyone would like to trade? If not they will be listed in the EE in a few days, But I really want a case.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#35]
First post on the forum.  I've been lurking, badly.  I finished my rifle and I thought I'd share some pictures of it.  Thanks to all that have posted with so very much information on the MK12's.

My rifle is a MK12, Mod1 with deviation away from being a 100% true clone for the optics.  It's my rifle, so I went with some high quality glass.  I might pick up a Leopold later on if the funds allow.

Parts:
High Caliber Sales upper, LMT lower with SOPMOD stock, AEM5 supresssor, Wilson Combat 3G trigger, US Optics LR-17 w/ H-102 reticle, AADMount scope base & scope caps, Vortex Viper reflex attached to AADMount picatinny ring-cap.   I tried to stick with mostly all the correct parts so it still looks MK12ish.  Harris bipod, pod-lock, KAC sights, bipod mount, vertical front grip, and free-float handguard (of course!).  Front sling mount is also KAC but is for a push-button swivel.  HCS's Douglas 1/7 stainless steel barrel.  Shot some Black Hills 77gr TMK's and it performs very well with about 3/4 inch grouping, if I do my part shooting it.

I have another KAC free-float handguard stashed away.  Maybe I'll build another upper, later on.  

I hope the pictures link properly...  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#36]
A few more pictures...

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By glhood68:
A few more pictures...
View Quote

Nice rig.  That scope looks good on the mod1.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By glhood68:
First post on the forum.  I've been lurking, badly.  I finished my rifle and I thought I'd share some pictures of it.  Thanks to all that have posted with so very much information on the MK12's.

My rifle is a MK12, Mod1 with deviation away from being a 100% true clone for the optics.  It's my rifle, so I went with some high quality glass.  I might pick up a Leopold later on if the funds allow.

Parts:
High Caliber Sales upper, LMT lower with SOPMOD stock, AEM5 supresssor, Wilson Combat 3G trigger, US Optics LR-17 w/ H-102 reticle, AADMount scope base & scope caps, Vortex Viper reflex attached to AADMount picatinny ring-cap.   I tried to stick with mostly all the correct parts so it still looks MK12ish.  Harris bipod, pod-lock, KAC sights, bipod mount, vertical front grip, and free-float handguard (of course!).  Front sling mount is also KAC but is for a push-button swivel.  HCS's Douglas 1/7 stainless steel barrel.  Shot some Black Hills 77gr TMK's and it performs very well with about 3/4 inch grouping, if I do my part shooting it.

I have another KAC free-float handguard stashed away.  Maybe I'll build another upper, later on.  

I hope the pictures link properly...  Enjoy!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Hay guise.

DSG Arms has the AEM5 on sale for mil/LE types right now.  just over 5 bills shipped.

I know cause I broke down and ordered.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Mr Lancecriminal86,
Just want to point out how this picture pretty much explains why I went with a premier scope instead of a std issue mk4 scope. Your welcome.

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Hay guise.

DSG Arms has the AEM5 on sale for mil/LE types right now.  just over 5 bills shipped.

I know cause I broke down and ordered.  
View Quote

Welcome to the show...
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:03:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#42]
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Welcome to the show...
View Quote

i am a retard and have been writing an EPR all day, and totally didn't read that as it was intended.  that's on me entirely.  

thank you....although I'm still probably a year away from said show.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#43]
where in Minnesota do you live? I also live in Minnesota, but go to school in NODAK. Tan is perfect for the flat nothingness of North Dakota  :]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#44]

what show?  the thing is normally 600 at military pricing; the sale email just went out today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Welcome to the show...

what show?  the thing is normally 600 at military pricing; the sale email just went out today.

F-bargain compared to what I paid for the OPS Inc I bought years ago.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Manuals are in and look great. Identical to the mod 1 manuals except they are mod 0/1. I have a list I've been keeping that I will post tonight. I also have maybe 4-5 more mod 1 manuals beyond the alternate list so if you HAVE NOT contacted me previously for a mod 1 manual and you want one then email me. Whoever wants the mod 0/1 manuals can email me also. Like I said I have a list of 20-25 of you.
PLEASE EMAIL ONLY. it's too hard to keep track of IM and email and if you sent both so please email. They are the same price as the mod 1 manuals. 14.00 each shipped.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
Manuals are in and look great. Identical to the mod 1 manuals except they are mod 0/1. I have a list I've been keeping that I will post tonight. I also have maybe 4-5 more mod 1 manuals beyond the alternate list so if you HAVE NOT contacted me previously for a mod 1 manual and you want one then email me. Whoever wants the mod 0/1 manuals can email me also. Like I said I have a list of 20-25 of you.
PLEASE EMAIL ONLY. it's too hard to keep track of IM and email and if you sent both so please email. They are the same price as the mod 1 manuals. 14.00 each shipped.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330914/IMG-3104-156614.JPG
View Quote
Sent you an email. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330914/IMG-3104-156614.JPG
View Quote

Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I got my AEM 5 from DSGArms back in june . Its still in atf jail. Called today to check the status. They said there in a 9 month backlog.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ejc204:
I got my AEM 5 from DSGArms back in june . Its still in atf jail. Called today to check the status. They said there in a 9 month backlog.
View Quote

My early May F4 took 9 months, June I suspect may be a bit longer, sorry to say :(.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Thank you.  Funds and email sent.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top