Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2010 11:10:54 AM EDT
It its torques down well but the blast is undoing it. What do you all recomme.d? Some suppressor use so there will be me putting torque on them when warm...
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Blind pin!?

JB Weld!?

Tack Weld it on the bottom!?

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Crush washer !
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used red loctite on one and used heat to get it off.  If you are using it suppressed you may not want to go that route.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The fsc fal is w a crush washer but I had to time it....the yhm fsc is w peel washers and I absolutely. Don't want to pin a sbr..that is stupid!
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The rocksett on my surefire brakes has help up great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know;
Does silver solder imply "permanent" per BATF ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone know;

Thread hijack much?
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Rocksett works well on my AAC Brake as well.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know;

Thread hijack much?

Press the report button.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Uh..a fal and an ar. Both pws. Brakes. They are attached via screw on threading

Really one will be torques bc of a suppressor. The fal's will not be torqued. Both generate high heat...but that's assumed because it's a gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you use a screw on suppresser on the surefire ( is it a mount?)
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#14]
The fsc-fal is timed using a crush washer and is torqed on well but the blast has it working loose. The 10.5" noveske is working loose too and it uses peel washers to time correctly. I want them secure. The ar uses a pws fsc. For my yhm can so I don't want it coming off when removing the can either. Surely there is a good way to secure them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Red loctite.  Use a few big drops and even if you just snug it on hand tight it will not budge without a wrench once it cures.  It's way better than rocksett garbage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you using enough torque?

Use Rocksett. Red loctite breaks down when heated, Rocksett does not. Rocksett does not have as much strength as red loctite, but strength is not primary consideration in this application.

FWIW, Surefire provides Rocksett with their mounts. AAC recommends Rocksett. I don't know if their mounts actually come with any.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I use peel washers to time my PWS brake and suppressor mounts. I've never had one come loose even at multiple day carbine courses. Are you sure you're torquing them down enough?

I use a Miculek brake on my competition gun, and it installs with a lock nut (who thought that was a good idea anyway?). It comes loose quickly under recoil, so I use a drop of red loctite and apply heat when I need to remove it (which isn't often). I have not had it come loose using the red loctite even under match conditions when it can get pretty hot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Both have to be timed correctly. In addition they.are pretty snug at the end. Should I use both? I will try and biy some rockset to bad they charge 7 shipping on anitem I could put a stamp on.... seriously on them I can't torque them down more. Keeping them timed is the hard part.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Use red 271 or rocksett.  I never had a comp come loose. All my comps need to be timed eith with a peel or crush washer.  I use a Nickle based anti-seize on the threads.

Rocksett on my M556 Surfire, Red 271 on my open gun.

You are crushing the crush washer on the gun? fter finger tight you just turn it untill everything lines up. You have 1.5 turns to get it right, do not back off on a crushwasher.

Peel I set the T wrench to 15 ft pounds and go from there. Adjust thickness of the peel washer to time correctly.  A 2 step process if you do the math.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#20]
They are timed. I just need to know the best threadlocking compound.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Rocksett
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Red Locktite (271) deteriorates at temperatures above 400 degrees and will lose it's ability to hold.  With repeated shooting, especially under heavy conditions (like say during a carbine class) it will fail.  Rocksett does not have the torque holding properties of red Locktite (will break at a couple hundred pounds less), but it's temperature resistance is over 1000 degrees.  I would definitely go with the Rocksett.  It will hold the muzzle device in place during firing with no problems, will not deteriorate due to heat, and is easily removed should you decide to replace the muzzle device.  Lastly, AAC includes a cute tiny bottle of it with their product so the cool factor says you must get it.

ETA - Rocksett must be heated to over 2,000 degrees for it to degrade.  Locktite 271 will take up to 500 degrees before it deteriorates.  Heavy use of an AR (repeated continuous shooting) will heat the barrel well above 500 degrees.  Rocksett breaks free with about 30 lbs of force - but that is more than enough to keep the muzzle device in place during use.  The benefit of Rocksett is not its ability to hold at high torque values, but rather to hold even after being subjected to high temperatures - something Locktite 271 just can't do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are timed. I just need to know the best threadlocking compound.

Timing is only part of the equation.  Proper torque is the other part.  Sometimes they can not be torqued down all at once.  You get to a certain point, then you back off, then you re tighten.  This has to happen until both timing and torque are correct.  If you can not do it, I would suggest having a professional do it for you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Red loctite is a breeze to locate online and at a local store. Outside of the internet, where can you find Rocksett? Kinda funny how people go back and forth on which is better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Red loctite is a breeze to locate online and at a local store. Outside of the internet, where can you find Rocksett? Kinda funny how people go back and forth on which is better.

Funny, yes, because red Loctite is not for high temperature applications whereas Rocksett is. I don't even understand why there is a question of which to use.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Red loctite performs very well under high heat.  

I've used it extensively with suppressor mounts, muzzle brakes, and competition pistol comps.  It does much better than Rocksett in my real world use of the products.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've used it extensively with suppressor mounts, muzzle brakes, and competition pistol comps.  It does much better than Rocksett in my real world use of the products.

But it breaks down at 500 degrees (per the manufacturer).  A barrel will easily exceed this temperature if fired repeatedly - such as at a carbine class.  Rocksett breaks down at just over 2000 degrees.  If you never shoot it enough (or plan to) to go over 500 degerees, then I suppose 271 would work fine - depends on your definition of high heat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Just try it, you'll see how superior it is.

I shoot a good 20K+ rounds a year in hard use competitions.  I'm not your average dude who buys an ar15 and shoots 100 rounds three times a year.

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it breaks down at 500 degrees (per the manufacturer).  A barrel will easily exceed this temperature if fired repeatedly - such as at a carbine class.  Rocksett breaks down at just over 2000 degrees.  If you never shoot it enough (or plan to) to go over 500 degerees, then I suppose 271 would work fine - depends on your definition of high heat.

try it report back.
271 is fine. same as rocksett
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top