Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
Author
Posted: 10/22/2010 7:37:56 AM
OK, I know I'm gonna get flack about this. I't been asked before, but........
Other than rust, is there any difference between a chrome lined vs a chrome moly barrel? I've read that a moly barrel is more accurate.
I would really like a BCM SOCOM 14.5 upper, but cost always is an issue in the Obama era. Any thoughts???? Suggestions???
Captains1911
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 8:25:35 AM
[Last Edit: 10/22/2010 8:25:52 AM by Captains1911]
Chrome-lined is more durable, easier to clean, and lasts longer. The accuracy benefits of chrome-moly, if they are even real, are so small most shooters will never notice, especially on a carbine.
Gregory_K
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 8:29:56 AM
most dont need a clb, but need has little to do with it.
get what you want can afford it will suit you just fine.

plinkr415
Out in the West Texas town of El Paso....
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 9:22:05 AM
Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
get what you want can afford it will suit you just fine.

Exactly when it comes to this subject.
If an AR-15 doesn't have some form of carry handle, something's not right.

turp_dog
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 9:34:44 AM
The barrel is not really the place you want to go cheap. I've gotten chrome-lined for all the barrels I have bought, and it helps me to sleep better at night. Otherwise, I would just end up second guessing myself about whether I should have just ponied up for CL. YMMV
FloridaCreekIndian
Vae Victis
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 9:37:49 AM
I have had great luck with both CL and non CL barrels. I always clean my weapons after range/training so I never really ever allowed the barrels to build up heaving fouling etc. Cleaning a non CL barrel was always easy for me. I also couldn't tell you which would be more accurate. I think a quality manufactured barrel, either CL or non CL would be more accurate than me anyway. Get whichever you can afford and have fun with it. Just make sure you get a quality barrel from a known manufacturer and keep it maintained.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ/copy and paste the link below for my feedback thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=109&t=343785
Aimless
Staff: AR15 forums and Equipment Exchange
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 9:40:04 AM
[Last Edit: 10/22/2010 9:49:51 AM by Aimless]
"Chrome moly" just means regular barrel, I don't know if that particular term became popular because it had "chrome" in it and less knowledgeable buyers did not know what was going on?

I only have chrome lined AR15 barrels. I would bet for most civilians the difference in accuracy is not noticeable and the difference in reliability and longevity is also not noticeable. If you are going to fire off sandbags with match ammo or shoot cmp matches I guess the accuracy difference might be noticeable. If you are going to spend 15 years in a jungle or in snow topped mountains living in a hut or you are going to really fire 10-15k rounds with your AR I guess the reliability/longevity may matter.

If you are on a tight budget I would suspect (having never owned one) that most civilians in the US would be able to get by with some minimal care-just what most hunting rifles get- with a chrome moly barrel which would probably last most people their lifetime.
BamaInArk
Time for Action
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 9:41:39 AM
Originally Posted By Colddeadhands61:
Other than rust, is there any difference between a chrome lined vs a chrome moly barrel? I've read that a moly barrel is more accurate.
I would really like a BCM SOCOM 14.5 upper, but cost always is an issue in the Obama era. Any thoughts???? Suggestions???

To better answer your question we first need to make sure you understand what your asking....

To start with, generally speaking, most rifle barrels are made out of two materials...Chromium Molybdenum better known at ChromeMoly for short and stainless steel(410 or 416). The only similarity between a ChromeMoly barrel and Chrome lined is that the ChromMoly barrels GET Chromed lined or do not. Chromium Molybdenum is what steel the barrels are made from. The Chrome lining is added after the barrel has been made and twist added. Stainless steel barrels do not get Chrome linings. So when you hear or see ChromMoly that has nothing to do with the barrel lining. All it's basically saying is the barrel is not made of stainless steel.

With that said, Yes in the past an unlined ChromeMoly barrel was considered the more accurate of the two. I think however in some circles of target grade shooters they still prefer non lined barrels. Many of todays chrome lined and stainless steel barrels offer accuracy challenging non lined barrels. While Chrome lining may offer a slight decrease in accuracy what it does give the barrel is much increased shooting life. A non lined barrel may only have a life of say 3000 to 5000 rounds while a Chrome lined one may double or even triple that. Depending on barrel maker and rounds fired. For a combat type rifle a chrome lined or stainless steel barrel is the way to go due to ease of maintenance. And has been mentioned the little less accuracy will probably not be noticed.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
KILLERB6
"The men with green eyes"
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2010 10:38:21 AM
Originally Posted By Colddeadhands61:

Just get it...other than being a little heavy (which is the whole idea) that upper is pretty hard to beat...$500 out the door!

My guess is the shift to leight weight and midlength barrels may result in discontinuation of the SOCOM profile (I think CMMG has already dropped it).

The Army's shift to all M4A1s and converting M4s to A1s may result in resurgence of the profile and a supply shortage/cost increase.

So get it.