Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2010 4:24:31 AM EDT
I recently came into the possession of a  PWA lower receiver assembly.  A1 butt stock, serial number 13xx, has a great black finish.......anyone know anything about this item?  Even though I suspect its old it seems to be of great quality and condition.  Thanks. llc
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
PWA receivers (they never made complete guns) were made by Lewis Machine and Tools (LMT).  The last pre-ban lowers were in the low 35,000's serial number range. Pac-West Arms faded into oblivion in the mid 90's after the .

Actually, ATF reports reflect that PWA did make a few complete guns at various points- though the number is VERY small compared to the number of receivers that they made.

If you contact LMT with your serial number, they can still provide you with date o manufacture for your PWA, which as a preban could be worth a small premium in Connecticut (especially), New York, and Mass if you decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I recently came into the possession of a  PWA lower receiver assembly.  A1 butt stock, serial number 13xx, has a great black finish.......anyone know anything about this item?  Even though I suspect its old it seems to be of great quality and condition.  Thanks. llc

PWA quality is generally regarded as excellent- probably the best of preban makers (except possibly Colt). I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My first non Colt AR-15 was a PWA I bought in 1988 (long since sold).
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a good receiver(I have had 3)

It will bring around $600 if its preban.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a pre ban PWA commando lower. It has a 20" A1 upper on it with an A1 buttstock on it. It shoots like a dream. Never a hiccup since I have had it. I bought it around 1998 or so. It has been a great gun. I keep it because it is a pre ban and wouldn't part with it for cheap.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I suspect 13xxx might qualify as pre-ban, is that where the extra value arises?  I will drop a line to LMT and check on this Commando 5.56 receiver, it would be very interestingto know its age.......llc
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Sell the stripped lower into NY or CT and then go buy yourself any high end lower you want and a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
With a S/N of 13XX, I would guess that it was made in about 1987.  I still have several PWA receivers that are in constant use.  Good workmanship and excellent finish if original factory.  PWA ceased doing business in Aug 1995.  They basically sold piece-parts and kits less barrels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Put your prebans on the EE and buy yourself a nice new lower and extra doodads.
Ban states need more prebans!

- BG
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sell the stripped lower into NY or CT and then go buy yourself any high end lower you want and a case of ammo.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:58:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have directed an inquiry to LMT and they indicate I should have a response soon.  If it actually is a pre-ban I will probably list it on EE.........llc
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#13]
35222 and Below = Pre-Ban
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am still waiting for word from LTI on the year of manufacture, I do not want to represent the receiver as something it might not be........llc
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I am still waiting for word from LTI on the year of manufacture, I do not want to represent the receiver as something it might not be........llc

It's is certainly a preban if it is 13XX or 13XXX.  You aren't even close to the cutoff.

Don't try to trade it for lowers as the transfer fees will mess up the ratio.  My suggestion to folks with prebans was to plan out a kickin' custom lower (lower, stock, grip, trigger, KNS pins) and charge the person the price it would take to build it.  You turn a lil ol' stripped lower in a custom monster, and a commie-stater gets the opportunity to do the same.

- BG

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I picked up one about a year or so ago for my GUU-5/P build. The SN is: 76xx It is my third PWA receiver, but fires A1. I'm into it (as a complete receiver) about $350. Stripped it all down and have been contemplating having it reanodized dark gray (retroish type build). They make for great guns, no doubt about it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top