Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2010 12:05:21 PM EDT
So my new spikes Billet upper and lower set have a problem. It seems that the placement of the bolt catch is to low in the receiver. The lower came with the bolt catch pre installed by spikes. On a normal AR when the bolt is held back by the catch you can't see the two lower lugs on the bolt because they are blocked by the catch. Well on the spike the bolt catch is to low and barely hits one lug. When I try to use the bolt catch you have to try three or four times for it to actually hold the bolt back. Pictures below you will see a proper bolt catch holding the bolt back and the second one is the spikes one that barely even holds the bole. Also with the upper off you can visually see that the spikes just sits to low.

RRA Lower with correct bolt catch placement.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/spikesproblem004.jpg

Spikes Billet Lower with bolt catch that sits to low on bolt. I have tried a couple bolts and they all are the same.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/spikesproblem008.jpg

I measured the RRA lower and the spikes is more than a 1/16 off.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/spikesproblem011.jpg
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably should've posted in Spike's industry section but I'm sure Tom (badazzar) will see it and promptly correct everything for you to your satisfaction.

ETA: Osprey beat me to it because I'm watching sharkweek
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
how do you cross post
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
how do you cross post

just click edit, copy the whole thing and re-post
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact spikes. I already sent Tom a fix for this if your lower does have this issue. Not all do, its just tolerance stacking and the new hardware will fix it easily for you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
EDIT         Spikes has contacted me and has a fix for the problem
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Not much we can do for you other than state that it looks like you have an issue, but contacting Spike's will take care of the problem. I wouldn't have posted before contacting Spike's & having a resolution.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Im the one that designs and bulds them so i promise you will be taken care of. Sorry it leaves a bad taste in your mouth :(..  Some of the factory bolt stops vary allot and unfortunatly when designing the ambi system i selected and measured parts that were one size and we didnt catch it until just the other day. Like i said, its not all of them and im sorry you got one that is. Its a easy fix, Spikes will send you a new bolt catch and pin. From now on, ever bolt catch will be slightly modified just to make sure they are al the same and also function tested before leaving my shop.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, it does have an issue. I am new to spikes and am a dealer. I was thinking of caring some of the products they make. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth though. I have always heard good thinks about spikes and did allot of research before doing this billet build. I am sure they will take care of the problem from what i have heard they have good customer service.

A bad taste in your mouth from a single out of spec bolt catch? I wonder why no one makes these kinds of deals about out of spec parts that come from Colt

What do people try and accomplish by posting thins like "I got this part from XYZ company and it was out of spec!!!" ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it does have an issue. I am new to spikes and am a dealer. I was thinking of caring some of the products they make. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth though. I have always heard good thinks about spikes and did allot of research before doing this billet build. I am sure they will take care of the problem from what i have heard they have good customer service.

A bad taste in your mouth from a single out of spec bolt catch? I wonder why no one makes these kinds of deals about out of spec parts that come from Colt

What do people try and accomplish by posting thins like "I got this part from XYZ company and it was out of spec!!!" ?
+1

Always love it when people post how bad a product is without even trying to get it fixed first.  

Tom will make it right.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Always love it when people post how bad a product is without even trying to get it fixed first.  

Tom will make it right.

I agree with both of you guys but read his post a little differently, understanding his side a bit. He got a bad part from Spike's, built by Seekins, and wanted to let everyone know about the issue. This could be bashing but I don't think t is in this instance. Thankfully for the OP, Seekins is promising a fix for the known issue seen in a small number of parts and we all know that Tom will make it right by any means necessary so give it a week and the OP will have a functional bolt catch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah...call Spikes. other than that, how do you like the billet upper/lower?
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
In no way am i trying to bash spikes and i did email and call them before posting this issue. I did not get a response so i then sent them a link to the post. I have heard so many positive things about them and was surprised to have an issue on my first lower purchase. Spikes has responded as you can see above and sounds like it will all be taken care of soon.

Other than the bolt catch issue i have no complaints and only praise for the Biohazard set. It is a really nice set. Honestly i don't think i would change one thing on it. Well except for price of course. Don't we all wish everything was free. The fact that i ended up going with Spikes over the other seven companies i was considering for my Billet SPR should say something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
cool...now post some pics.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Welli i was holding out tell i picked up optics and a flash sup. but.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/BilletSPR004.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/BilletSPR001.jpg

Spikes Billet Biohazard set
RRA lower parts set
18.5 Noveske barrel
Magpul stock
Optics?????
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Welli i was holding out tell i picked up optics and a flash sup. but.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/BilletSPR004.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/dieselenterprises/BilletSPR001.jpg

Spikes Billet Biohazard set
RRA lower parts set
18.5 Noveske barrel
Magpul stock
Optics?????

That is a good looking rifle and don't worry, Tom and his group will take care of you
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#19]
All you have to do is take a little off the back of the catch(1-2mm) with a grinder/dremel so it can push in a little farther.  Takes about 30 sec to do then hit it with some cold blue. Its easy as there is no roll pin, just a set screw holding the catch in. JOY!!!!! I did it on my 3 Bio Hazard lowers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info. Gardner.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Be sure to give a range report when you get done, the rifle looks great. I was thinking about that Noveske barrel for an SPR build, so I'm interested in knowing how it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Will do i am in the middle of picking out optics right now. Hope to have a report by next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I received my package from spikes with the fix for my bolt catch problem. Below is a picture of the contents of the package and a picture of how the catch now looks when holding the bolt back. Now that it is all fixed up and done i couldn't be happier. I would recommend a Spikes Bio Hazard set to anyone looking for a good base to start a billet build. I have built out both a Larue billet lower and a spikes and have to say i like the spikes way better. Its all the little things that they do to put it over the top.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad you got your piece together.  Spikes are awesome.  So what optic and mount did you throw up on top of that bad boy?
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#25]
In a day or two i will post a thread on my billet build. It is all done and being tested today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Tom will make it right.

Why? Because people go into a panic coupled with disappointment when their much anticipated parts arrive and don't fit, which is understandable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Personally i wasn't a fan of having to wait a month and a half to get something just to find out it has a problem. But thats all water under the bridge everything is a go now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top