Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2010 4:40:56 PM EDT
Hey, I came across the "twang buster" on Midway's website, it looks like it's made by DoubleStar.  It's supposed to quiet the 'twang' sound the spring makes in the extension.  Anyone tried it?  What's the principle behind how it works?  Snake oil?  Wonder product?  Better than the Slap Chop?

eta: linky twang buster
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Post #3
Link?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
LINK HERE
Not quite "snake oil," but about as useless as snake suspenders.  How "annoying" is the sound of the buffer spring anyway?  It tells me when my bolt locks back by NOT twanging...
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Its supposed to "Twang"
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
stupid useless crap, but hey waste spend your money on whatever you want...

i remember a few years ago, there was someone advocating coating the buffer spring in plastidip that rubbery plastic coating you can dip tool handles in to stop the "sproing"...
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see the point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy bought a couple and gave me one. I put it in my 14.5 build and I can still hear the twang. Meh...
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Twang sound = Getting work done  
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah, so not as good as the Slap Chop.

But what was it supposed to do?  It's just a piece of plastic.  I guess the end of the spring snaps onto it and the diameter is large enough to wedge it in the extension tube.  I think it was supposed to keep the spring from bouncing.  But I don't know.  I'm just scratching my head over the thinking that went into it.

I don't mind the twang, with my hearing protection on it's barely audible, so it's not something I was going to buy.  I was just curious if it worked, and if so, how.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It's just a useful device to stop us southerners from sounding different the the rest of the country. LMAO
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Great, an accuwedge for the buffer tube.

In other words, more useless crap to cause problems.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want the twang to go away and you shoot in a NON Arid environment put just a hint of grease on the spring and a drop or two of oil i the receiver tube, things get much quieter, and as an added bonus it makes the Buffer and BCG slide smoother through the tube.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#13]
the stuff people come up with....
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 3:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
We tried one in a suppressed SPR set-up w/ an A2 stock. The "twang" was NOT busted. Don't waste your time and money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top