Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2010 7:01:57 AM EDT
Just picked up a new DPMS stripped lower, and I can't find anything that say if it is Mil-Spec or not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm gonna say no, based on my DPMS light. Mag well was defenitly not in spec at all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you have issues with anything on it? Were there certain mags you couldn't use, or anything else I should know?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
dpms= not mil spec
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Since DPMS has several models, I think which model you bought could effect this question.  What definition are you using for "mil-spec"?  Colt makes AR15 lowers that are not "mil-spec" and I am not talking about a sear hole either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it was really a vague, newbie question. I am VERY new to the whole Ar thing, so I am trying to learn as I go.

I see different items advertised as Mil-Spec, and commercial. I would like to stick with Mil-spec equipment, and I was just wondering if the DPMS was in that category. Or if there will be any issues with adding only Mil-Spec equipment to it. It say "Mod. A-15" on it. Is this the model, and does it tell you anything?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
No DPMS is not mil-spec just like no other civ AR brand is mil-spec. Don't worry about this whole mil-spec thing. If you want mil-spec then join the military.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks!

I guess that was all I was wondering, I don't want or need it to be mil spec, just wonderg what to look for when adding accessories and other equipment.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, thanks!

I guess that was all I was wondering, I don't want or need it to be mil spec, just wonderg what to look for when adding accessories and other equipment.

Thanks guys!

The only real difference you need to look for is in stocks and buffer tubes. There is a difference between milspec and commercial
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#9]
There is no such thing as a military specification for an AR-15. No AR can be mil-spec. The military does not use AR-15's therefore they have no spec for it. They use A-4, M-16 varients.Many Military parts interchange with AR-15 parts, those parts can be Mil-spec. An example is Barrels and bolts. They are interchangable, so you can use mil-spec barrels and bolts in your AR. As a rule, mil-spec parts meet a standard for reliability that is higher than those manufactured for civilian use. Sometimes civilian parts exceed mil-spec. The answer is: educate yourself about the AR, this is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Mil-spec vs commercial is used two different ways.

Size-

There are two types of buffer tubes (receiver extension tubes) on the market today. Commercial which is wide tube with cut threads and Mil-spec which is a thinner tube with rolled threads. You can have a cheap POC mil-spec tube or a High quality Commercial, but normally Mil-spec SIZED tubes are better quality, while the Commercial ones are POC. Remember this is dealing with SIZE not how or with what material the tube was made. If you stick with a good reputable source for Mil-spec you are generally getting the best quality, and now US military stocks fit your firearm..;) Just remember there are high quality commercial tubes out there.

Process-

Mil-spec / Commercial in relation to how it was built, fit and finish, and QA inspecting. This varies widely. I have seen Colt crap that shouldn't have been sold and I have seen Blackthorn gear stand up to abuse. You are generaly good to go by using the saying, "You get what you pay for". High quality manufacturing cost $$. QA inspecting, fit and finish and high grade equipment raises the price of gear. On a side note, no company makes a Colt the way Colt does. That is top secret info and is Colt property. The US military inspects Colt firearms for compliance using these standards, and Colt had a cow and shiat fit when the US Military released this information.

A Magpul China-doll stripped lower will cost you about $2000.00 and is NOT mil-spec. I just saw the thread on that lower which is why I mentioned it.

Small parts are hit and miss. Springs SHOULD be made out of a certain material, and pins, hammers and triggers are "you get what you pay for". You will pay twice as much for a LPK made by Colt then you will for a Stag LPK, but Stag is still good solid parts, if you buy an LPK off gun broker from a guy in China and the shipping cost more then the LPK dont expect the parts to last longer then a week.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, that pretty much sums it all up!!

Thanks so much for the help guys, again I am VERY new to all this AR stuff, so thanks for being so patient and helping me out!

You guys rock!
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
NP & welcome.
Link Posted: 2/21/2010 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No DPMS is not mil-spec just like no other civ AR brand is mil-spec. Don't worry about this whole mil-spec thing. If you want mil-spec then join the military.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top