User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:
Originally Posted By matt58:
After re-examining the pics of the rail and barrel, I am left confused.  How does the barrel fit flush against the receiver if the rail is screwed on to the receiver?  How do you time the rail so the top rails align and there is minimal to no gap between rail and receiver? Do you have any pics of the barrel in the rail WITHOUT the barrel nut on?  Thanks for the info and by the way, GREAT POST!

You time the top rail by using something like the PRI action block that holds both the receiver and the rail via the picatinny portion. To eliminate as much gap between the rail and the receiver, you just tighten it the whole way, then back off until the rails line up. Some places take the rail and machine off just enough so that when it is fully tightened against the receiver it lines up perfectly. I thought about doing this, but I didn't want to have to re-anodize the rail.
Here's what it looks like when you machine the back of the rail to eliminate the gap.
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/huge/IMG_0102.jpg
Here's what the gap typically looks like
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%204/IMGL2831-A-1024-Stick.jpg
This is how the rail works. The rail (red) threads on to the reciever threads (black). Then you slide the barrel (gray) in and it is held in place by the barrel nut (yellow), which also threads into the rail
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/rail.png

In a production environment with a bunch of rails and receivers, if you get one that's way off you just swap parts around until you find combinations that are acceptable.

MSTN has even sold as a set "perfect fit" upper/URX combinations, where the rail installed and torqued snug and straight with the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
very impressive so far

look forward to seeing the final product ,both the wrench and the upper
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice pictures and work. I'm guessing your ME? I recently switched from ME to IE, I just couldn't hack it. Keep us updated with the work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:

Nice pictures and work. I'm guessing your ME? I recently switched from ME to IE, I just couldn't hack it. Keep us updated with the work.

haha IE here as well
I'm more interested in the process of making something than what is actually being made.

I just ventured over to the engineering machine shop one day when I was a freshman and slowly had them teach me everything they knew. Now I'm a teaching assistant in the same shop. I'm one of the few IE's at my school with hands on manufacturing experience (read: knows how to actually operate the CNC and manual machines, weld, RP, and general tinkering)

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
This is how the rail works. The rail (red) threads on to the reciever threads (black). Then you slide the barrel (gray) in and it is held in place by the barrel nut (yellow), which also threads into the rail

So if I got this right, the URX rail threads directly onto the upper receiver in place of the original barrel nut.

What keeps the URX rail from unscrewing if you were using a VFG?
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Red loctite is what I have read is used on the threads of the upper and rail.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:

haha IE here as well I'm more interested in the process of making something than what is actually being made.

I just ventured over to the engineering machine shop one day when I was a freshman and slowly had them teach me everything they knew. Now I'm a teaching assistant in the same shop. I'm one of the few IE's at my school with hands on manufacturing experience (read: knows how to actually operate the CNC and manual machines, weld, RP, and general tinkering)

Nice. That's a great combination. I need to go learn how to use all our equipment as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By cowboy7242001:

Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3MQvkoffDI/AAAAAAAACEg/PCY7xhh7NJQ/s800/rail.png

So if I got this right, the URX rail threads directly onto the upper receiver in place of the original barrel nut.

What keeps the URX rail from unscrewing if you were using a VFG?

Loctite and torque, just like every other rail out there.

And the gas tube to some degree. Granted it isn't the strongest thing in the world, but it would prevent rotation.

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cowboy7242001:
Loctite and torque, just like every other rail out there.

Not every other rail out there relies on loctite and torque. A lot of them employ some type of anti-rotational measure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does the URX have a heat shield? Is it for full auto fire or does it have to do with the design of the barrel nut as a heat sink? I have a Larue 7.0 built in 2004, so I'm curious as to why my Larue doesn't have one. I've fired 60-90 round strings (semi auto) in 2-3 minute blocks of time, and my Larue is still cool to touch (unlike the stupid Bushmaster V-match handguard I used to have). Does it have to do with how the handguard heats up during full auto strings of fire?

I'm not knocking one over the other. I'm just curious about the design of the URX vs the Larue. The URX is a sweet handguard, especially since it lacks a gap between the handguard and receiver and possesses an integrated flip-up front sight.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The heat shield is an issue for sure . We go back and forth on the issue but I will make this statement. The heat has to go somewhere and I would much rather it be transfered to the rail than remain in the bbl. A hot rail is not such a bad thing when it comes to bbl life.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]

That nut looks like spline drive.

I wonder if one of Snap On's torque adapters will fit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
That is very similar to the JP/Vtac rail if I remember correctly. There was two nuts, the larger nut that the tube connected to was screwed onto the receiver, timed and then loctited into position. Then, the the barrel was inserted and the smaller nut slid down the barrel. It had threads on it's outside that thread into the larger nut. This was what actually held the barrel in. So basically, one nut went around the receiver and held the rail on and the the other smaller nut "pressed" the barrel against the receiver and held it in place.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Impressive! Way to beat the system
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 030:
The heat shield is an issue for sure . We go back and forth on the issue but I will make this statement. The heat has to go somewhere and I would much rather it be transfered to the rail than remain in the bbl. A hot rail is not such a bad thing when it comes to bbl life.

We = ? Do you work for Knight's? I thought the barrel nut plays a big role in keeping the barrel cool on these free float tubes? It's also a function of where and how the barrel nut/locking nut transfers the heat too as well. Ideally, you want all the heat to leave the barrel and be dissipated elsewhere as rapidly as possible.

I just find it strange that they put a steel heat shield similar to the kind found in plastic M4 handguards inside of a free float handguard. Is it to prevent injury to the operator's hand from convection heating via the barrel? The barrel would have to get pretty hot for that to happen I'd imagine, even with the operator's hand less than an inch away from the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 12:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 46rossi] [#17]
030  works in the shipping department and they let him answer the phone once in a while .  Rumor is he keeps trying to get hired at magpul.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry guys, not to hate on your rail, but after reading this thread and seeing a real description of it, I have no clue what the draw is.

seems like a very poor design, unnecessarily complicated to install, nearly impossible to remove, proprietary everything, horrendously expensive, and ridiculously heavy according to their catalog specs. I also thought that this might be cool down the road, but not after the education.

and loctite for the antirotation device? that is laughable. and that is after a possible derotation to line up the rail with the upper receiver? did I hear that right? ugghh.

so yes, you are buying a name, and an appearance, nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rav3nwulfe:
sorry guys, not to hate on your rail, but after reading this thread and seeing a real description of it, I have no clue what the draw is.

seems like a very poor design, unnecessarily complicated to install, nearly impossible to remove, proprietary everything, horrendously expensive, and ridiculously heavy according to their catalog specs. I also thought that this might be cool down the road, but not after the education.

and loctite for the antirotation device? that is laughable. and that is after a possible derotation to line up the rail with the upper receiver? did I hear that right? ugghh.

So are you a smith and wesson owner or a dpms.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 46rossi:

No, hes a Vulcan Arms owner.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 46rossi:

daniel defense = lighter, stronger, better
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Than kac ??
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By themao:

We = ? Do you work for Knight's? I thought the barrel nut plays a big role in keeping the barrel cool on these free float tubes? It's also a function of where and how the barrel nut/locking nut transfers the heat too as well. Ideally, you want all the heat to leave the barrel and be dissipated elsewhere as rapidly as possible.

I just find it strange that they put a steel heat shield similar to the kind found in plastic M4 handguards inside of a free float handguard. Is it to prevent injury to the operator's hand from convection heating via the barrel? The barrel would have to get pretty hot for that to happen I'd imagine, even with the operator's hand less than an inch away from the barrel.

I'm pretty positive that 030 is Mr Knight himself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]

I have to agree with him.  I rather have a LaRue over a URX.  And as far as the front sight is concerned, I don't see how it could be better than a Troy...other than profile...

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is full of badass. I commend you, sir.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By STJ:

I have to agree with him.  I rather have a LaRue over a URX.  And as far as the front sight is concerned, I don't see how it could be better than a Troy...other than profile...

does the troy sight have tooless adjustment ?

LT makes a nice rail but it's no urx
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 030] [#27]
When doing a fair weight comparison remember the URX does not use a standard bbl nut and greatly reduces the over all weight of the system. We have 1000s of rifles fielded with URXs and have had no issues with loosening when properly installed. We also have many other types of rails that are user installable. We feel that the URX is an advancement in rail technology .

Just remember  all other rail designs in the industry owe something to KAC.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the best advantages of the URX is that after the barrel nut is installed and the barrel is reassembled the barrel can be installed as a complete unit
the wrench and barrel nut will clear the gas tube
I can swap barrels in about 5 minutes    
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#29]
The only real qualm I have with the URX II so far is that the front sight isn't spring loaded. I think that would be a nice feature to be able to press the release and have the sight pop up.
I was talking with some of my technical advisers for the project. I'm thinking about making a couple wrenches, all in different ways.

The first way is going to be with a waterjet. I'm going to make three layers then weld them all together to create a laminate of sorts.

Then I'm going to cut on on an EDM, but it's going to first require me to machine a graphite electrode for the machine to use to do the cutting.

And finally, I'm going to try my hand at casting.
I'll do my best to post as many pictures as I can along the way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 1:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 030] [#30]
SR-47 how can you install such an overly complicated poor design in such a short time?  The only reason SR-47 likes the bbl nut is it is his design so any of you guys saying it is a poor design can take it up with him.

Unclemoak I like your line of thought on the waterjet model. We too are working on a reduced cost wrench when we get done we can compare notes . I too have been trying to figure a way to make the front sight springloaded.

We have allready reduced the price of the carbine URX and will be working on reducing the price of the other models. I think if they were more affordable and the instalation tools more avail. they would gain popularity.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
sorry guys for the thread hijack a little earlier, I will keep my opinions to myself in someone else's thread.

I have no problem with KAC as a company, and yes I know you have contributed enormously to the firearms industry. my brother is currently sporting one of your rails over in Iraq right now.

and if you 030 are really Mr. Knight, thank you for all you've done for our troops and our military.

my mouth is now shut...continue on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]
SR-47 how can you install such an overly complicated poor design in such a short time?  The only reason SR-47 likes the bbl nut is it is his design so any of you guys saying it is a poor design can take it up with him.

Unclemoak I like your line of thought on the waterjet model. We too are working on a reduced cost wrench when we get done we can compare notes . I too have been trying to figure a way to make the front sight springloaded.

We have allready reduced the price of the carbine URX and will be working on reducing the price of the other models. I think if they were more affordable and the instalation tools more avail. they would gain popularity.

All of this sounds phenomenal. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]

I definitely agree.  Not that your products aren't already extremely popular, but at reduced pricing and increased availability, you would see dramatically increased sales, at least in the commercial market.  I know that if I could afford it, my new upper would be sporting a URX right now.

Thats not to say it wont happen in the future
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I have 3 URxs currently installed and I believe that it is the best rail I have ever used.  I hate that I have to have it installed by a pro...but I am willing to live with the lack of a wrench because I know that it works and fits like a glove.  I have a LaRue rail on a couple of other rifles and I prefer the KAC system.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 5:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#36]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:

Yes Troy does have tooless adjustment

http://store.troyind.com/Rapid_Adjust_Front_BattleSight_p/ssig-raf-00bt-00.htm

You tell what makes a URX so better than a LaRue...Loctite?  When it is used on a RE nut the it's knocked down pretty quick around here as lower tier assembly practice.

I am not bashing Knights, but the GaGa drooling is a bit insane

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Perhaps you don't understand how it works. Yes Locktite is used but what holds the bbl in place is torque . Just like every other AR. The bbl nut is torqued to a specific Ft/lbs to the URX.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#38]
How many FF rails besides the URX have a removable bottom rail?  I think this is a key feature because I've noticed that when doing a lot of rapid fire in humid environments the barrel likes to oxidize near the barrel nut.  Try cleaning that off with a rail like a LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#39]

You have no idea how much truth their is that last part.

If the equipment to do it was readily available, I'd have a hard time not having URX's on my rifles.  I think its a terrific design, probably the best available at this moment in time.  I have to remember that the front sight is built in, which effectively eliminates the need for an aftermarket peice, making the cost more reasonable.

If you guys made it just a bit more affordable and easier for the average AR builder to do it, you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]
You tell what makes a URX so better than a LaRue...Loctite?  When it is used on a RE nut the it's knocked down pretty quick around here as lower tier assembly practice.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about... Loctite? Seriously? Don't come to the Knight's thread to talk crap about Knight's gear, please.  I hope your gunsmithing skills are better than your grammar skills.

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#41]
This isnt a knights thread. Its a URX tool build/rail system install thread. Its getting off topic and flooding the thread with crap. Unless asking the builder specific questions or adding something similar, post in another thread (I know im not a mod, but i hate when there's a 60 pg thread with only 2 pages with actual info and pics). thanks and happy shooting.

ps-WHO DAT!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Getting back to my original question regarding heat transfer, is there a way to redesign the barrel nut so that it makes up with the handguard? This may lend itself to ditching the proprietary barrel nut wrench altogether. Likewise, it would allow for far more efficient heat transfer from the barrel to the handguard itself. Granted, the receiver should be doing some of the work already, but the barrel nut is a more efficient heat sink (when using the right materials.....it has been 7-8 years since I've opened up a materials science textbook in college).

I've never seen a URX in real life, only in pictures. I would definitely like to see one up close to get a feel for it. Mr. Knight (if that is you), you make some great products. I do hope you can offer more to the civilian market in the near future. Likewise, I do hope Magpul is trying to hire you to build the ACR
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 11:50:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:

Yes Troy does have tooless adjustment

http://store.troyind.com/Rapid_Adjust_Front_BattleSight_p/ssig-raf-00bt-00.htm

i'll take the kac front site (built in urx or micro front) over that troy sight all day long , and i'll take a kac urx over a LT rail all day long also . just my personal preference. YMMV

but as has been said this is unclemoak's thread so back on topic
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 11:02:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EzGoingKev] [#44]
Unclemoak I like your line of thought on the waterjet model. We too are working on a reduced cost wrench when we get done we can compare notes .

Why don't you just make the barrel nut a 12 point instead of a spline type and then you could use a readily available crowfoot from Snap On?

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#45]
How much does your rapid prototyping material cost? I know the machine that we have at school costs something like 25$ per square inch for material but then again I think it uses a type of plastic other than ABS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Remman:
I always love your posts.

this, plus make a couple and put them on EE, unless there is a patent issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Unclemoak I like your line of thought on the waterjet model. We too are working on a reduced cost wrench when we get done we can compare notes .

Why don't you just make the barrel nut a 12 point instead of a spline type and then you could use a readily available crowfoot from Snap On?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3V6jyovVGI/AAAAAAAACE0/F4xJYtn-IzU/s800/crowfoot.JPG

That would be too simple!
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Kybyq3n1q3w/S3V6jyovVGI/AAAAAAAACE0/F4xJYtn-IzU/s800/crowfoot.JPG

Now this idea sounds like it has Merit!  

Heck, if someone would just make aftermarked barrel nut that would fit the URX and the wrench above, we could buy the wrench from Snap On

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Falar:
How many FF rails besides the URX have a removable bottom rail?  I think this is a key feature because I've noticed that when doing a lot of rapid fire in humid environments the barrel likes to oxidize near the barrel nut.  Try cleaning that off with a rail like a LaRue.

Troy MRF
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top