BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2010 4:27:21 PM EDT
Whats the most reliable AR15 rifle off the shelf? Yes, I used the search feature with little success. I'd just like to hear everyones opinions.  I dont care if its DI or piston, i just like to hear what everyone thinks is the most reliable right out of the box. Thanks for any opinions.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
O.K. here we go COLT. Pick your flavor. I like my last 2 Armalites also. No parts breakage or malfunction from either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no 1 answer. My DPMS was 100% as well as my CMMG, BCM and Noveske.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
For proven reliability, I would say a Colt 6920.  Lots of law enforcement agencies use them.   I have one and it has been 100% reliable.  Piston guns run cleaner, but can be difficult at times to get at the piston system depending on the make.  If you go with a piston system in the AR platform, try LMT.  I have one of the LMT CQB Piston Rifles and it is a breeze to clean and maintain.

Outside of the AR line, my vote for best reliability is a Robinson XCR.  No carrier tilt, piston driven, three lug AK type bolt carrier and rock solid.

LWRC, Noveske, and Daniel Defense make great ARs as well at are very reliable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohhh boy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to go with Olympic Arms on this one, with Blackthorne a close second.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I owned  two Bushmasters, and a S&W Mp15.  I traded them all in, and bought a Colt 6920. I would never buy another mp15 or bushy ever again, but I am highly interested in a BCM, LMT, and a Noveske. So time will tell on which is my next AR. So the bottom line get a Colt, because if you ever wanted to sell it you`ll get 90% or better in the resell.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For proven reliability, I would say a Colt 6920.  Lots of law enforcement agencies use them.   I have one and it has been 100% reliable.  Piston guns run cleaner, but can be difficult at times to get at the piston system depending on the make.  If you go with a piston system in the AR platform, try LMT.  I have one of the LMT CQB Piston Rifles and it is a breeze to clean and maintain.

Outside of the AR line, my vote for best reliability is a Robinson XCR.  No carrier tilt, piston driven, three lug AK type bolt carrier and rock solid.

LWRC, Noveske, and Daniel Defense make great ARs as well at are very reliable.

I've actually been looking at the XCR series as of late.  That me be the next route for me to go!

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Laure Tactical
Rock River Arms
Colt
Bushy
Stag

They are all good. The more you spend may help you get a better grade, but they are all copies of Colt and all run.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
The one that doesn't jamb.

There are a lot of different opinions on this matter.  Good luck.

Colt is a good start though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is no 1 answer. My DPMS was 100% as well as my CMMG, BCM and Noveske.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the question should have been "which manufacturer makes the best quality out of box rifle." Like those stated before, BCM, Noveske, Colt, Sabre, Knights, LMT, are all top teir brands. Of course you will pay more but the quality can be felt and seen. If your on a budget, STAG IMO makes an incredible rifle for the price. I have a STAG model 1 and never once had a problem, Plus i just ordered a new sabre saturday!!! =D
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
im building my first and im falling in love with LMT
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
my rra carbine
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
For me, my Colt 6920, BCM middy, RRA Entry Tac, and LaRue Stealth have all ran 100%.  My RRA Std. 20" A4 has run 100% ever since I had the chamber reamed, before that it ran about 20%.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Definately Smith & Wesson....definately....I have three....yep...definately Smith & Wesson.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
In the safe I have a few Noveske's, (2) KAC E3's, (2) LWRC's, and a LMT. Neither one has ever had an issue. I want to add a Colt 6920 and a BCM so I can have most of the rifles many suggest to be the most reliable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
It depends on how hard you run them. If you really run your AR, and not only shoot a few "hundred rounds at your range without a hiccup", only a few ones will survive trough anything you throw at them: Colt, LMT, BCM, Noveske, the chart is there to help you. And I'm talking only about complete AR's from the factory.

If you build your AR-15 yourself, you can build an extremely dependable AR (equal to Colt, for example) by choosing quality key components, such as the BCG and the barrel. The major brands that make quality components that will not fail, are LMT, BCM, Colt (if you can get the parts), or Charles Daily and such, Daniel Defense and such, and that's pretty much it. The reason is that they are are tested and inspected individually (test fired, Shot Peened, MP Inspected, have the right military specs, etc), and the parts that are not perfect don't get out of the factory,

Every AR will go bang, it's a proven fact, but not every AR will survive the shits and still go bang when you pull the boom switch, especially if the major components are not the highest quality (BCG and barrel.)

I will get all sorts of replys for this, and that can only mean one thing, I hurt their feelings right in the nutz.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I would take my sabre factory complete 18" spr. it has been very good to me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a barrel and bolt that are MPI, and a quality trigger group, and lube the hell out of it. Oh yeah, and use good mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
They all look pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is the AR jamming on you while you're being shot at still awesome?
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Kind of a loaded question.

If you buy 10 different brands of AR15s and run 500 rounds through each one of them over the course of one year with no failures, that would mean that each one was 100% reliable.  If you stretch that number out to, let's say, 10K rounds a year the story may be a little different.  

Generally I would go with Colt, BCM, LMT and throw in premium brands like KAC, Noveske and LaRue.  Hard to find ones that would be overall more reliable than that lot.  But it all comes down to how much you are shooting and the type of shooting you are doing.  A Bushmaster, RRA or DPMS could provide you with years of troublefree use.  I wouldn't want any of those, but only because the price difference between them and a BCM or Colt is really not all that much.

I predict at least 5 pages on this one........
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Blackthorne. I have 30 rounds through mine and it's been 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Someone quote that!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, DD...

Can't go wrong there.

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean these things jam?

Shucks, mine is defective-both my personal m4 (gery, LMT) never jammed to date and neither did my m16a2, even during extensive MOUT training with MASSIVE 12 magazine mag dumps.

Gotta call the Armorers for that one, my weapons' defective.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know if the op is trying to start a small war, but this thread would have the potential!

Although I don't own one, at seems that the Noveskes have a stirling reputation and are probably the top of the heap.  I have several Buhsmasters that are running at or near100%, although my 20" Bushy doesn't like certain brands of ammo, but with good ammo it's very reliable. The rifle I've shot the most and have the most confidence in is an 18" POF upper on a DPMS lower.  It's my main 3gun rifle and is extremely reliable.  The 4 malfunctions I've had (in 3k+ rounds) were caused by bad magazines or ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll have to go with Olympic Arms on this one, with Blackthorne a close second.

LOL
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#29]
most quality ars are going to be 100%.  However, i wouldnt trust my life to a kac(or any brand) until i ran quite a few down down the pipe first.  Break it in, take care of it, run it hard and make it prove itself.  Then u know u have a good gun.  and keep it wet!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#30]
How's about the one you take care of cleaning it and lubricating it properly.

That said I'm a Colt fan...
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The only way I would believe that is if you posted almost 5000 times in 2001 and went on a 9 year vacation and just know bought a Blackthorne without reading anything on this site.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do if they are not built correctly. By that I mean gas key not staked properly, bolt not inspected and tested, during fast and intensive shooting the castle nut will come loose pretty quick too if it isn't staked (locktite should never get on an AR). But any of the previously talked brand's AR-15 are built properly, so they're not likely to brake or jam anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#33]
KAC then Colt.  As mentioned, you'll spend the cash, but outta the box you won't get much better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of the well known brands make good AR15 type rifles.  Pick the logo you like best, seriously.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shucks, mine is defective-both my personal m4 (gery, LMT) never jammed to date and neither did my m16a2, even during extensive MOUT training with MASSIVE 12 magazine mag dumps.

Gotta call the Armorers for that one, my weapons' defective.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#37]
The one that keeps shooting...

Bang, bang, bang.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I personally like Colt but i have also heard great things about Sabre Defence and i am maybe going to purchase one of those next. If you just want a basic carbine i think you will find the Colt 6520 hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Kind of a loaded question.

If you buy 10 different brands of AR15s and run 500 rounds through each one of them over the course of one year with no failures, that would mean that each one was 100% reliable.  If you stretch that number out to, let's say, 10K rounds a year the story may be a little different.  

Generally I would go with Colt, BCM, LMT and throw in premium brands like KAC, Noveske and LaRue.  Hard to find ones that would be overall more reliable than that lot.  But it all comes down to how much you are shooting and the type of shooting you are doing.  A Bushmaster, RRA or DPMS could provide you with years of troublefree use.  I wouldn't want any of those, but only because the price difference between them and a BCM or Colt is really not all that much.

I predict at least 5 pages on this one........

And this is the correct answer. Personally I go with Colt and BCM. One day I'd like to be able to afford a LaRue and maybe a KAC.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I see BCM/Bravo mentioned a couple times here... but I was under the impression they don't sell complete rifles (i.e. "out of the box" like the poster wanted).

If I'm wrong PLEASE let me know, as I too am looking to eventually buy and am leaning towards BCM, based on the rave reviews posted here about their quality, reliability, price, and customer service.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I see BCM/Bravo mentioned a couple times here... but I was under the impression they don't sell complete rifles (i.e. "out of the box" like the poster wanted).

If I'm wrong PLEASE let me know, as I too am looking to eventually buy and am leaning towards BCM, based on the rave reviews posted here about their quality, reliability, price, and customer service.

Thanks,
Chris

There is an authorized dealer that sells complete BCM rifles & he has the middy in stock now. However, the staff here does not allow linking to his site. The owner of that site is a real turd & he was kicked off this site a while back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Colt, LMT, BCM, Sabre Defence, Noveske
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Chris

Here's what I would do-

Go to PK firearms order a complete Sabre lower. Then go to Bravo and order a complete m4 upper (16" or 14.5" with a perma FH) and a carry handle.

Be happy, shoot it, and mod away to your heart's desire.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Chris

There is an authorized dealer that sells complete BCM rifles & he has the middy in stock now. However, the staff here does not allow linking to his site. The owner of that site is a real turd & he was kicked off this site a while back.

Yup
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I would pick the Colt 6920.  But any of the top tier ARs should be completely reliable out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#46]
For reliability I would say Noveske N4 Light. Yey for Mod-0 chamber!
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, DD...

Can't go wrong there.

I agree
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#48]
delete double tap
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#49]
My military experience says Colt but I ain't got one. I do however have a Bushmaster and a RR kit on a CMMG lower and both have worked flawlessly. Still, one of these days I gotta get me a 20 inch colt for old times sake.

I'm not pro gun. I'm pro ARMAMENT!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top