User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2009 11:37:17 AM EDT
Noveske 20” HBAR

This stainless steel barrel has an HBAR profile, polygonal rifling, a 1:7’ twist and the Noveske Match mod 0 chamber.

Using hand-loaded Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings, as a control load, this barrel turned in a 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 0.726" from the bench-rest at 100 yards..  That’s not too shabby for an AR-15 with a barrel that has a chamber that “was developed to fire MK262 Mod 1 on AUTO in hot environments."  For the Internet Commandos in our viewing audience, I also fired a 3-shot group at 100 yards. It had an extreme spread of 0.175”

Additional accuracy testing using the 20” Noveske barreled AR-15 and Nosler 77 grain BTHP at a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps was conducted in the same manner as described previously  Three 10-shot groups were obtained from 100 yards.  Those groups had extreme spreads of:

0.880”
0.857”
0.845”

for a 10-shot group average of 0.860”.  These groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group which had a mean radius of 0.29”.

Noveske 16" SS Recon barrel

Testing was done at 100 yards from a bench rest.  A Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification was used for sighting.   I obtained  three 10-shot groups using one of my standard hand-loads for 77 grain Sierra MatchKings.  Those three groups measured as follows:

0.81”
0.93”
1.01”

for an average 10-shot extreme spread of 0.92".

These three groups were over-layed on each other using the RSI Shooting Lab software program to obtain a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for this composite group measured 0.28”.   Here’s a pic of the best 10-shot group of the 77 grain MatchKings.

Noveske 16" N4 light Recce

I performed an accuracy evaluation of my Noveske 16” N4 Light Recce upper following my usual protocol.  Testing was performed from a distance of 100 yards.  Firing was conducted from a concrete bench with the free-float handguard resting in a Sinclair Bench Rest.  The rear stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear bag.  Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.  A Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards was used for sighting.

Using hand-loaded, match grade ammunition I fired three, 10-shot groups in a row.  The extreme spreads of those groups measured:

1.29”
1.18”
1.31”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 1.26”.   I over-layed those three groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the composite group was 0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five, 10-shot groups in a row using the same set-up for a total of eight, 10-shot groups.  The average extreme spread for all eight groups was 1.24”.   I over-layed all eight groups on each using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group.  The mean radius for that composite group was 0.39”.

Noveske 14.5” N4 light carbine

The 14.5” N4 barrel was tested in the same manner as described above.  Three 10-shot groups fired from 100 yards using match grade hand-loads had extreme spreads of:

1.029”
1.360”
1.275”

for a 10-shot group average of 1.22”.  As above, I over-layed the three 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for that composite group was 0.37”.

Noveske 16" SS Recon barrel in 6.8mm SPC

Accuracy testing was performed from a bench-rest at 100 yards using a Leupold Vari-X III set at 25 power for sighting.  Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.  All groups consisted of 10-shots each.  Prior to testing the Hornady ammunition, I fired three 10-shot groups in a row using a control load that utilized hand-loaded 115 Sierra MatchKings.  The extreme spreads for those groups measured:

0.99”
1.00”
1.12”

for a 10-shot group grand average of 1.04”.  Following my usual procedure for evaluating the accuracy of ammunition, I overlayed these three 10-shot groups on each other using the RSI Shooting Lab software program to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for this 30-shot composite group was 0.37”.

best 10-shot group of control load

Noveske 16" SS 9mm Parabellum barrel

For those that might not already be aware of this, Winchester’s website hosts some useful information about their Ranger-T series of ammunition. The website has an online terminal ballistics comparison tool that is quite informative. For example, if you are interested in seeing the difference in terminal performance between the 9mm 147 grain Ranger-T load and the 9mm 124 grain +P Ranger-T load in bare gelatin and after passing through four layers of denim (basically the IWBA test protocol) simply select those loads from a couple of drop down menus and voila!

The Winchester website also hosts downloadable “spec sheets” (in MS Word format) for all of the Ranger-T loads. Of particular interest to me was the accuracy “spec” for the 124 grain +P Ranger-T load. Winchester states the accuracy spec for the 124 grain Ranger load is an average extreme spread of 1.25” for (five) 5-shot groups at a distance of 50 yards. While I’m certain Winchester uses some type of machine-rested test fixture to obtain those results, that level of accuracy from factory loaded handgun ammunition is still extremely impressive. After reading the above spec, I was curious to see just what level of accuracy the 124 grain Ranger-T load would deliver for me.

Normally, when I evaluate the accuracy of ammunition, I shoot 10-shot groups. However, since Winchester’s accuracy spec was stated in 5-shot groups, I decided to follow their protocol for comparison.

The vehicle used for this accuracy evaluation was a Colt 6450 9mm carbine with a free-floated stainless steel Noveske barrel. Shooting was done from a concrete bench at a distance of 50 yards. Caldwell front and rear bags were used to stabilize the firearm. Sighting was done through a Leupold Vari-X III set at 10X magnification and adjusted to be parallax free at 50 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the Leupold. Wind conditions were continuously monitored using a “Wind Probe.”

Colt 6450

The Wind Probe

In order to eliminate the variable of the “4+1” phenomenon that occurs sometimes with semi-automatic weapons, (the first hand-cycled round loaded from the magazine having a different point of impact than the remaining rounds of the magazine that are weapon cycled into the chamber) six rounds of ammunition were loaded into each magazine and the first round of each magazine was fired “into the dirt” and then the remaining five rounds were fired “for record.”

Prior to testing the Ranger-T load, I fired five, 5-shot groups of a control load consisting of hand-loaded 121 grain HAP bullets with the above set-up at 50 yards. Those five groups had extreme spreads of:

0.95”
0.97”
1.00”
1.07”
0.97”

for an average extreme spread of 0.99”.

In the same manner that the control loads were fired, I obtained five, 5-shot groups from 50 yards using the Winchester 124 grain +P Ranger-T load. The extreme spreads of those groups measured:

1.73”
1.88”
1.87”
1.89”
1.64”

for an average extreme spread of 1.80”. Not quite up to the level of Winchester’s “spec sheet,” but still very good for factory loaded handgun ammunition. While it is common convention to evaluate the accuracy of shot-groups using the extreme spread, a much more in-depth and reliable predictive indicator of the accuracy of shot-groups is the mean radius. Using the same shot-groups from above, I over-layed the five targets from each load on each other respectively using the RSI Shooting Lab software program. The mean radius was then calculated for the 25-shot composite groups formed using this method. The mean radius for the 121 grain HAP control load was 0.44” while the mean radius for the Winchester 124 grain +P Ranger-T load was 0.71”.

14.5" Noveske Afghan

I’ll be adding the results for this seventh barrel in the future.

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
wow what a post! thanks for that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow good stuff , now only if I could shoot my 16.1 like you
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Great test, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
AS always, an interesting and informative post! Thanks for sharing....
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of work went into that post and I for one appreciated it. How did you get 2800 fps from a 20" barrel with 77 grain Noslers'?
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess this is one of those instances where I can say that I cannot shoot to my barrels true potential just yet...I've never measured or yet know how to truly measure group sizes..what would these two measure at? Group on the left is 10 shot and group on the right is a 5 shot usuing an 18" noveske SS barrel..target on the left I believe is an 8" shoot-n-see and center one is a 3" IIRC..

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wondering how you would compare the accuracy of the N4 light recce barrel to other chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome post.  Surprising how well the N4 Light 14.5 did.  My shoots way better than I can also.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 2:27:12 AM EDT
[#11]
That was a great post with excellent and articulate information.

A very nice change of pace.

WELL DONE.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my 16" SS
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Great writeup.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
As always, great post and report Molon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Great post! It figures, the Afghan is the one I am looking at ordering...hehe. Great write ups on the others and Im sure the 14.5 will be right there with the rest of them. Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I just realized something - I wish I had 6 Noveske barrels at once!
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Great write up. Thank you very much for posting that up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Super informative post pal, thanks! Now if you will just do all the MRP barrels for me and then i can send you a check
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn good Molon...

Though i really hate you for showing the accuracy of that 20"... its REALLY tempting to get a new 18" barrel for my competition gun....
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I built a Noveske 14.5 in 5.56mm Afghan back in June....my loads were a little hot....I'm gonna back them them down a little and see if my group will tighten up......

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Insane.  It's stuff like this that makes paying to support this website a no-brainer.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Molon, in picture #24 (the dog) is that your target retriever or spotter?? Again great post. As a side note by the way my wife hates you as i now use your posts as my stand in Christmas list. Cheers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Molon,

This is great information!  Do you have your test protocol published on the site?  I would like to know how long you let the barrel cool between shots and groups of shots.  Do you find any connection between barrel thickness and POI shift as the barrel heats up?  Does shooting a hot barrel affect accuracy?

Thanks,

2Hunt
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
If you run for president you got my vote.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great job, as usual, Molon!  Is that Afghan barrel a 5.56 or a 6.8?

5.56mm
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Well done, sir.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots of work went into that post and I for one appreciated it. How did you get 2800 fps from a 20" barrel with 77 grain Noslers'?

Non-canister grade military powder with a velocity to powder charge ratio very similar to that of the powder used in MK262.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just wondering how you would compare the accuracy of the N4 light recce barrel to other chrome lined barrels?

They are the most consistently accurate chrome lined barrels with the same weight as government profile barrels that I have tested.  Some heavier chrome lined barrels (medium contour, HBAR) such as the barrel used in the Colt 6721, will shoot more accurately but with the obvious weight penalty.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Molon, in picture #24 (the dog) is that your target retriever or spotter?? . Cheers.

That's our "Scotty-Pek" named Kaylee.  She's always got my back.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Molon,

This is great information!  Do you have your test protocol published on the site?  I would like to know how long you let the barrel cool between shots and groups of shots.  Do you find any connection between barrel thickness and POI shift as the barrel heats up?  Does shooting a hot barrel affect accuracy?

Thanks,

2Hunt

ONE-SHOT “GROUPS”

For this simple, yet effective and illustrative test I compared the results of firing three consecutive 10-shot groups to that of firing thirty 1-shot “groups” in a row. By 1-shot groups, I mean that I fired one single shot on each of thirty different targets.

As with my usual method, testing was conducted from a concrete bench-rest at a distance of 100 yards.  The test vehicle was my Krieger barreled AR-15.  The handguard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest and the buttstock rested in a Protektor bunny-ear bag.  For sighting, I used a Leupold Competition scope (45X magnification) with a mirage shade attached.The scope was adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards.  Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.  The ambient temperature during testing was a balmy 72 degrees F.  Just prior to the beginning of testing, I fired off a 10-shot control group from 100 yards using handloaded 55 grain Sierra BlitzKings that had an extreme spread of 0.74”.

Testing was conducted using hand-loaded Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets.  The thirty, 1-shot groups were fired first.  In order to mitigate possible effects of barrel heat on the points of impact of the 1-shot groups (and therefore the overall mean radius of the 30-shot composite group that would later be formed from the thirty individual shots) I allowed the barrel to cool between each individual shot.   The barrel was allowed to cool for approximately 1.5 minutes between each shot.  The barrel remained only slightly warm to the touch during the firing of all thirty 1-shot groups.  I was able to wrap my hand around the barrel and hold it before each new shot was fired without the slightest bit of discomfort.

Also, to mitigate possible effects of the so-called “heat soak” effect (the cartridge “soaking” heat from hot chamber walls while sitting in the chamber) on the points of impact of the individual shots, I single-loaded each shot just before firing it and left the bolt locked open after each shot to allow the chamber to cool.  The thirty, 1-shot groups were overlayed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group that had a mean radius of 0.42”.

The 1-shot groups

The three 10-shot groups were fired following the 1-shot groups in a manner similar to my usual test protocol.  I fired at a slow steady pace, but no time was allotted between each shot for the barrel to cool nor was any time allowed for the chamber to cool.  Each round was immediately single-loaded into the chamber after firing the previous shot.  The three 10-shot groups had extreme spreads of 1.42", 1.22" and 1.27" for an average extreme spread of 1.30”.  The three 10-shot groups were also over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab. The mean radius for that 30-shot composite group was 0.38”.  

One of the 10-shot groups.

The 30-shot composite groups.

Next, I measured (by hand) the individual radius of each shot from the statistical center of the 30-shot composite group formed from the 1-shot groups.  I repeated the same procedure with the 30-shot composite group formed from the three 10-shot groups.  These measurements gave me two sets of data for further comparison, with each set containing 30 data points on the accuracy level of the two different methods of firing a total of 30 shots; that is the three 10-shot groups fired at a steady pace versus the thirty 1-shot groups fired slowly with time for the barrel to cool between each shot.

Lastly, I ran a statistical analysis comparing the two data sets obtained in the manner described above using an unpaired, two-tailed t-test.  The results showed that there was no “statistically significant” difference in the mean radii (and thus the accuracy) of the two composite groups!  (P= 0.49)

As an aside, this test further reinforced the point that 55 grain FMJ bullets fired from an AR-15 are simply not capable of MOA accuracy.  Also, not forgetting our Internet Commandos in the audience, I fired a 3-shot group using the 55 grain BlitzKings that had an extreme spread of 0.298"

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Molon,

Thanks.  This all must take an incredible amount of your time.  You clear posts allow us all to benfit from your efforts.

2Hunt
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
this test further reinforced the point that 55 grain FMJ bullets fired from an AR-15 are simply not capable of MOA accuracy.  Also, not forgetting our Internet Commandos in the audience, I fired a 3-shot group using the 55 grain BlitzKings that had an extreme spread of 0.298"

*snicker*

Great post, thanks a bunch.  As an owner of an Afghan (who has fired nearly 4K rounds through the gun) and still never shot it off a bench or done a group beyond getting more-or-less sighted in,I'm looking forward to your Afghan test.

Is there any significant difference between the Afghan barrel and the other stainless barrels?
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Arfcom needs to just bite the bullet and create a Molon subforum.  Would making finding these posts easier.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
this test further reinforced the point that 55 grain FMJ bullets fired from an AR-15 are simply not capable of MOA accuracy.  Also, not forgetting our Internet Commandos in the audience, I fired a 3-shot group using the 55 grain BlitzKings that had an extreme spread of 0.298"

*snicker*

Great post, thanks a bunch.  As an owner of an Afghan (who has fired nearly 4K rounds through the gun) and still never shot it off a bench or done a group beyond getting more-or-less sighted in,I'm looking forward to your Afghan test.

Is there any significant difference between the Afghan barrel and the other stainless barrels?

About 1.5".
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Molon,
If you were to own one rifle for all purposes, target, varmit, zombies...what would your set up be?  5.56 or 6.8?,  Do you have a multi-purpose rifle already put together for pictures?  I know, it's Satruday and I've got all these questions....least I waited for the weekend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Arfcom needs to just bite the bullet and create a Molon subforum.  Would making finding these posts easier.

That is a GREAT idea.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a GREAT idea.

Well, in the meantime there's still this thread.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Great thread, you really know your stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Molon,
If you were to own one rifle for all purposes, target, varmit, zombies...what would your set up be?  5.56 or 6.8?,  Do you have a multi-purpose rifle already put together for pictures?  I know, it's Satruday and I've got all these questions....least I waited for the weekend.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Molon,

Molon,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Thank you for  your time alot of good info. This was my same Q ^ what do u recommend sir?
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Excellent thread and incredible attention to detail.

I also just purchased (waiting to receive from Rainier) a 14.5" SS Afghan.  Do you have any rough idea or time frame on when you plan to do a report/write up on this barrel as you mentioned it a time or two in the posts above ?

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I shoot 1/4 MOA with my AK-74 using 7N6 surplus all day long.

Did you mean to post that in a different thread of mine?
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot 1/4 MOA with my AK-74 using 7N6 surplus all day long.

Did you mean to post that in a different thread of mine?

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that my Bulgarian surplus barrel and 7N6 puts your fancy shit to shame.

Wow, thanks for offering that awesome opinion.  

Some people need to learn not to offer BS in good threads.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that my Bulgarian surplus barrel and 7N6 puts your fancy shit to shame.

Wow, thanks for offering that awesome opinion.  

Some people need to learn not to offer BS in good threads.

Don't be hatin' because your stuff sucks. Did I mention I shoot that standing?

OK, now I got my sarcasm meter on full.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top