Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/4/2009 3:21:02 AM EDT
Has anyone got info on the tactical rifle and it's accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone got info on the tactical rifle and it's accuracy?

Are you talking about the Umarex import? If so, there are definitely mixed feelings about it. It is not an AR - totally different internals wrapped in an AR-looking outer shell.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Pass.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I've read it's not made by Colt, it's made by Umarex and licensed by Colt and is an absolute piece of junk.  Everyone I've heard who owns one says stay away.

Try the S&W, it looks like a pretty nice .22.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
the only Colt parts is the licensed name and logo...
there're way better products available in the US.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From what I've read it's not made by Colt, it's made by Umarex and licensed by Colt and is an absolute piece of junk.  Everyone I've heard who owns one says stay away.

Try the S&W, it looks like a pretty nice .22.

WRONG! It is madeby Walther, imported by Umarex, and badged as a Colt. It gets mixed reviews, most for the worse but most of those are from people who don't own one or never shot one and are talking solely about their build quality. The build quality is lacking, and it is disappointing that it's a GSG in an AR shell basically.

However, I have one and am pretty happy with it. It's been very accurate even with the shitty trigger. If i wasnt on my phone i'd give you some links to threads in the .22 section. From the guys who actually own them, it seems like if you get one that works out of the box you're GTG.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I am one of those people who actually own one - along with 10 AR's in various configurations and a Ceiner conversion kit.

In terms of accuracy it is better than a Ceiner conversion and about par with most box stock 22 semi-autos like a skinny barrelled 10/22 (10 shot groups that can be covered with a nickle at 25 yards).    

Reliability was hit and miss for about 150 rounds until it was broken in - it has been relentlessly reliable since then and eats just about anything in terms of .22LR ammunition.  

It has an adjustment screw behind the recoil spring so it can be adjusted to work with subsonic, std velcoity or high velocity ammunition.  I suspect some of the "it does not work well" comments are from 'tards that have taken it apart and not understood that where the adjustment screw is at is important.  It's covered in the manual but you have to be able to read to benefit from that.

The durability is in my opinion head and shoulders above the GSG .22.  The main objection people seem to have is the pot metal used to contain the bolt assembly in the upper receiver.   Yes it is pot metal, but when you look at it and actually think about it, it is more than up to the task.  It lies inside the upper so it is well protected and unstressed, and it performs exactly the same function as the cheap and comparatively flimsy stamped metal rails used in the Ceiner conversion and all of the derivatives of that design. From that perspective the pot metal carrier is overbuilt.  The halves of the carrier are also bolted together with separate captured nuts and bolts so stripping them is a non issue and none of them are going to come out when the rifle is in use.   It is in short a solid and well designed approach to a .22 LR system in a AR clone upper.

The trigger is a bit gritty but serviceable andon par with a service grade AR.  I am also confident that an aftermarket trigger will come along to resolve any potential beef there.  But as is, it does what it is supposed to do and is not innappropriate for field use.

The only significant negative from an AR procedures standpoint is the lack of a functional slide release.  (The forward assist is also non functional, but that is no big deal.)  Otherwise the rifle handles well and feels like an M4.  One oddity is the safe/fire switch runs through 180 degrees, not 90 as is the case on civlian AR's.   A positive is that the barrel starts a bit back from where the barrel extension would end, so it manages to stuff an actual 16" barrel in a 14.5" package as the barrel essentially runs through an smooth bore M4 shaped "barrel".

The only other negative are the 30 round magazines that are about 5 rounds too long.  If they came in a 25 round model the same lenght as a 30 round AR magazine, I'd be a happy camper.  But on the other hand, the mags are super simple and super fast to load compared to the black dog mags for the Ceiner and similar conversions.   Again, I suspect someone will come long with a shorter mag, so I would not pass on the rifle because of that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I am talking about the Umarex import.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top