Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2009 12:56:53 PM EDT
I have a SBR 10.5" barrel with a 1:7 twist, what is the best grain ammo to shoot out of my barrel from maximum accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
69 grain SMK are good from what I've heard
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
75 grain TAP
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The dollar per round kind
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
go buy  20rnd boxes of as many different 556/223 ammo you can find in as many different configs and then go to the range - only way to find out.  barrels are finicky for the ultimate load - may be 52grn or 69 or 77 - there is no formula for the best for your particular barrel so that is why you need to try as many as possible.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot 55 gr FMJ Wolf ammo out of my 10.5" SBR with a 1/7 twist.

That is just plinking though.  What are you looking for?  Accuracy, home defense, critters, etc?
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a SBR 10.5" barrel with a 1:7 twist, what is the best grain ammo to shoot out of my barrel from maximum accuracy?

If you want accuracy, you want the heaviest/longest bullet you can fit in the magazine, that will properly chamber, and handloads.  77gr SMK is a good choice and your 1:7 barrel will properly stabilize it.  The Black Hills 77gr Match ammunition uses it, if you want factory.

Also, a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want accuracy, you want the heaviest/longest bullet you can fit in the magazine, that will properly chamber, and handloads.  77gr SMK is a good choice and your 1:7 barrel will properly stabilize it.  The Black Hills 77gr Match ammunition uses it, if you want factory.

Also, a longer barrel.

Complete BS.  Just because a fast twist barrel can stabilize a heavier, longer bullet like the 77 grain MatchKing, does not mean that the heavier longer bullet will be the most accurate bullet from that barrel (out to 200 yards anyways.)  Both of my Noveske N4 light barrels with 1:7" twists shoot 55 grain bullets more accurately than the 77 grain MatchKings.

The same thing applies for the length of the barrel.  My 24" Krieger barrel with a 1:7.7" twist barrel also shoots 55 grain bullets slightly more accurately than the 77 grain MatchKings.

LHCSWAT08,

As already posted, for accuracy, you need to try a variety of match grade bullets to find what shoots the best from your barrel and for the sake of the gods, stay away from the FMJ loads.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
thank you, this is't a match gun by anymeans, i'll post a pic when i finally get my optic in.  I just have quite a few 55 grain bullets and some heavier rounds... i was considering selling whichever was "less accurate" out of a SBR and buying more of the other.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Molon.  I have several 1/7 that shoot 55 grain best and some that shoot 62 grain best.  I even have a 1/9 Hbar that like 75grain.   You gotta try various rounds and see for yourself.  In general American Eagle 62 grain FMJ shoots the best out of most of my ARs.  It was cheap and plentiful a few years back and shot better than the expensive ammo from BH and Hornady!  I will add that I don't have any ultra precision Ars- just service grade and one NM Hbar.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I try to buy ammo in bulk cause thats what I plan on shooting.I'm going to shoot the 62 gr green tip penetrator Lake City makes in my 1/7 twist.It's the cheapest ammo I can find that shoots really good in my gun.I can't afford the dollar a round stuff.I'll just have to be happy with groups about an inch instead of sub moa.My barrel is a Daniel Defense cold hammer forged it's supposed to shoot good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, a longer barrel.

Complete BS.  Just because a fast twist barrel can stabilize a heavier, longer bullet like the 77 grain MatchKing, does not mean that the heavier longer bullet will be the most accurate bullet from that barrel (out to 200 yards anyways.)

You think it is BS because you are not shooting at ranges long enough for the massive BC advantage of heavy, boat tail bullets to matter.  Give those 55gr bullets a whirl at 500 yards.  Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting is a must read.  I think you'll discover a lot of great information.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, a longer barrel.

Complete BS.  Just because a fast twist barrel can stabilize a heavier, longer bullet like the 77 grain MatchKing, does not mean that the heavier longer bullet will be the most accurate bullet from that barrel (out to 200 yards anyways.)

You think it is BS because you are not shooting at ranges long enough for the massive BC advantage of heavy, boat tail bullets to matter.  Give those 55gr bullets a whirl at 500 yards.  Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting is a must read.  I think you'll discover a lot of great information.

Reading comprehension not your forte?  I specifically stated "out to 200 yards anyways."
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Reading comprehension not your forte?  I specifically stated "out to 200 yards anyways."

Got it, you agree it isn't 'complete BS' and that it matters a lot at longer ranges.  Glad we cleared that up.

PS - Nice attitude.  ARFCOM dick swinging represent.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine likes Black Hills 77g and TAP 75g
I have also shot PP 69 with great results.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
1/7 will handle up to 90 grains, but it won't fit your mag anymore. Knock off a bit and make ....oh say an '87' grain.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, you agree it isn't 'complete BS' and that it matters a lot at longer ranges.  Glad we cleared that up.

Your fault for not READING THE ENTIRE POST
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#18]
To the OP I suggest that you try as many different loads as you can to see what your gun likes. what may go good in your 1:7 might not work as well as someone else's of different make or even from a different production run. Check out the ammo section Molon has many different reviews for several types of ammo out of various twist rates/ makes of rifle. Oh, and to the newb with less than 20 post, Molon contributes alot of good info to this forum and knows what he is talking about on this type of stuff. Might want to post less and read more before you try argue with someone that holds a rep like Molons.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I try to buy ammo in bulk cause thats what I plan on shooting.I'm going to shoot the 62 gr green tip penetrator Lake City makes in my 1/7 twist.It's the cheapest ammo I can find that shoots really good in my gun.I can't afford the dollar a round stuff.I'll just have to be happy with groups about an inch instead of sub moa.My barrel is a Daniel Defense cold hammer forged it's supposed to shoot good.

where do you pick this up at?
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read the whole post and responded to it, including specifically highlighting the 200 yard range part and commenting that you aren't exactly pushing the accuracy limits at those short ranges.  How about you read _my_ whole post?  

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read the whole post and responded to it, including specifically highlighting the 200 yard range part and commenting that you aren't exactly pushing the accuracy limits at those short ranges.  How about you read _my_ whole post?  

5.56/223 + 10.5" brl does not = 500yd shots

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Lighten up Francis!   Your not helping your cause....by the way, your flushing it!.  Those who contribute and are knowledgeable share their info.  Not get into pissing matches, which you show a propensity of.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#23]
LHC Swat 08.. Accuracy is not the 10.5" forte so any good bullet should do fine.

Secondly if were gonna talk dick swinging Molons is gonna be much bigger than yours here.

You should try being more polite. The whole cop being a dick thing gets old.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LHC Swat 08.. Accuracy is not the 10.5" forte so any good bullet should do fine.

Secondly if were gonna talk dick swinging Molons is gonna be much bigger than yours here.

You should try being more polite. The whole cop being a dick thing gets old.

was this -> ("Secondly if were gonna talk dick swinging Molons is gonna be much bigger than yours here. You should try being more polite. The whole cop being a dick thing gets old") directed at me? if so you can fuck off...I didn't type one thing abot swinging dicks or otherwise...just looking for a decent bullet that will stabalize in a fast twist short barrel, excuse me for looking for some advice.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top