Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:55:51 PM EDT
This product is as close to making another product obsolete as I have ever seen in the AR-15 world. If that sentence seems awkward, I apologize. Just let it sink in for a few moments.

BCM doesn't need my help to sell any of these charging handles, but they did see fit to send me a Mod 4, along with a Gunfighter T-shirt.

Plenty of pictures have been posted in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=454874&page=3

There's not much you can say about charging handles, other than they've needed improvement for some time, and none of the latches or handles that have been produced until this point have offered any meaningful improvement to every shooter.

I'll start with a photo of a cheap charging handle that never even made it to the range, bending after one or two pulls:

That's not likely to happen with this design (photo stolen from BCM):

Furthermore, the length of this Mod 4 latch is just about perfect for me, as I don't have optics mounted in a position that would interfere with manipulating the charging handle, necessitating a longer latch. If you have stuff mounted to the rear of the receiver, think about the larger latch.

I can finally manipulate the charging handle the way I was trained to do so, with the knife edge of my hand, and have a very positive grip on the latch in the process. Before, with a standard charging handle, I'd have to keep my hand at the perfect angle so as to not slip off the handle, yet disengage the latch at the same time. Now, those issues are gone. My only complaint is that with an ungloved hand, there's a small risk of getting pinched by the latch. It's a minor complaint and has no effect on my ability to do what I need to do with the part. Also, within the limits of a short (1 hour) range session, I didn't have any major issues with the latch snagging on gear, unlike products such as the Badger latch, which I used for all of one day before going back to stock.

I'll say it again, this product comes closer to making an AR-15 part obsolete than anything I've ever handled. I scoffed at that very idea when I saw this handle - rolling my eyes, saying "what, now I have to buy half a dozen new charging handles, my old ones are obsolete?" The answer is yes, the GFH does make that much of a difference. I think BCM sending me a GFH for free was just a clever ploy to get me to buy more, because I'm definitely going to do just that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have tens of thousands of rounds through my regular charging handle and no problems...Why the gawdy "operator" gear???

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted". Sure, Bravo company makes great stuff, but why the hype for a charging handle???
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have tens of thousands of rounds through my regular charging handle and no problems...Why the gawdy "operator" gear???

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted".

Exactly what I thought before I handled one.

Then...I handled one.

It's $20-25 more than a quality charging handle (which is still a weaker design) and much easier to manipulate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the Mod 4 also and it works well with an MBUS.  The Mod 3 would've been too big.  I got mine from G & R Tactical so I didn't get any BCM swag.  I would definitely order my next Gunfighter CHs straight from Bravo next time.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted".

Then...I handled one.

It's $20-25 more than a quality charging handle (which is still a weaker design) and much easier to manipulate.

Bro, I'll take your word for it....But I would rather spend the cash on ammo, than buy a new charging handle. If mine ever breaks, i'll get one, I promise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll say it again, this product comes closer to making an AR-15 part obsolete than anything I've ever handled. I scoffed at that very idea when I saw this handle - rolling my eyes, saying "what, now I have to buy half a dozen new charging handles, my old ones are obsolete?" The answer is yes, the GFH does make that much of a difference.  I think BCM sending me a GFH for free was just a clever ploy to get me to buy more, because I'm definitely going to do just that.  

HA! Sucker.

I figured the same thing, why do I need to spend $45 on a CH that probably doesn't do anything a $20 CH from CMT can't?  I figured BCM was just making money on me for being a sucker that will buy anything with BCM written on it.

BCM can surprise the best of us.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted". Sure, Bravo company makes great stuff, but why the hype for a charging handle???

If you don't want one then don't get one.  Why are you getting all emotional about it?  PMS much?

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bro, I'll take your word for it....But I would rather spend the cash on ammo, than buy a new charging handle. If mine ever breaks, i'll get one, I promise.

I hear you. If you get the chance to try one out, don't hesitate. You may find yourself borrowing spare change from your junior NCOs to get one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't want one then don't get one.  Why are you getting all emotional about it?  PMS much?

STFU n00b...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you. If you get the chance to try one out, don't hesitate. You may find yourself borrowing spare change from your junior NCOs to get one.

I actually take what you say about gear to heart, you seem to know what your talking about...But I aint got any use for one just yet..But I guess I could beat a few lower enlisted in a game of poker and get one!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU n00b...

I guess your 1,887 of worthless banter make you an expert on the subject.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I would really appreciate it if this thread did not go downhill. Does not go downhill. Where is my English today?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then...I handled one.

Once you figure in an after market latch there isn't much of a difference in price.

I've never broken a charging handle like what is in your picture but I have broken the pin.  The BCM is a definite improvement IMO.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU n00b...

I guess your 1,887 of worthless banter make you an expert on the subject.  

No my 10 years of using a M16 variant makes me a expert on this...Sorry 87 for the hijack
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU n00b...

wow, now that's class. congratulations.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Fight! Fight! Fight! fi....

sorry, old habits.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STFU n00b...

wow, now that's class. congratulations.

I try...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I managed to bend a charging handle in a similar fashion to the one pictured in the OP, at a class.

As a result, I bought 3 handles, figuring I could flip them if I didn't like them.

I like them. A lot.
It is much easier to manipulate the charging handle than before, and they seem to be plenty tough. I also get a much more positive purchase on the latch, gloved and bare handed.

By the time you factor in an aftermarket latch, like a Badger, there really isn't that much of a price difference.

I'm glad you liked them, 87GN.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Well since I have you to thank...well, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
To anyone with 1st hand experience...

How would you compare the Mod4 to the new LMT handle?

How would you compare the Mod 3 to a quality handle with Badger Gen II latch?

When it comes down to it, these BCM handles are a good deal. They're made by Vltor for BCM, two top quality names, and at $45 they're "neck & neck" with a standard handle @ $20 + tac latch @ $20. I'm just trying to decide if I make the switch or not. My BRD is slowing making me become a gear whore btw.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Back on track here a little bit.  The BCM thing looks like a good product.  I picked up one of the Badger latches a while back so I could hit it with my palm towards me.  No problems with the Badger latch and it works fine for the palm method.  

However, I noticed in last weekend's carbine course that I was reverting to the knuckle method.  (Using the knuckle of the index finger of my support hand to hit the CH.)  I also realized that the Badger latch does stick out quite a bit.  I was running a belt rig so snagging on gear wasn't an issue but, with the rifle slung across my chest it was prodding me and got a little annoying.

So, the BCM charging handle may be the next change I make to the rifle.

ETA: we're back on track already.  I type slow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To anyone with 1st hand experience...

How would you compare the Mod4 to the new LMT handle?

How would you compare the Mod 3 to a quality handle with Badger Gen II latch?

When it comes down to it, these BCM handles are a good deal. They're made by Vltor for BCM, two top quality names, and at $45 they're "neck & neck" with a standard handle @ $20 + tac latch @ $20. I'm just trying to decide if I make the switch or not. My BRD is slowing making me become a gear whore btw.

I haven't tried the LMT handle, but I have a Badger Gen II on a colt handle.
The BCM is much easier to manipulate, with a much more positive disengagement, and has the side benefit of not being anywhere near as snag-happy. It also seems to slide more smoothly.

It also doesn't dig into me when slung as badly.

Edit: Compare with above post for Badger thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then...I handled one.

20$ of ammo should get you pretty far
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok 87, i took your word and ordered one just now from BCM, It was 52.and some change with shipping....I hope its all you said it is.

Also, If it doesnt make me shoot sub MOA with my Vulcan plastic M4 Im takin you to the pit!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then...I handled one.

20$ of ammo should get you pretty far

Actually its over 50.00 smart ass. thats lke 1050 rounds of .22LR...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok 87, i took your word and ordered one just now from BCM, It was 52.and some change with shipping....I hope its all you said it is.

Also, If it doesnt make me shoot sub MOA with my Vulcan plastic M4 Im takin you to the pit!!!

I really doubt that you will be disappointed. If you are, I'll buy it off you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#26]
type56, the BCM GF charging handle is an improvement over the original.  Is it absolutely necessary?  Only the individual user can answer that.  Was fuel injection all hype over carburators?  Are LCDs and Plasmas just hype over CRT TVs?  Is running water and a flushing toilet an improvement over just squatting in a ditch?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Went to Bravo to buy a discounted BCM BCG for another build I'm doing..

Hmm... Wonder if those gunfighters are back in.... SHIT, IT'S IN STOCK!!
Thinkiing to myself...Yeah.., Paul says don't bother if you're not a serious tactical shooter....
I'm not...  Just a business man who likes to shoot the shit out of things on the weekend.

But..

I bought one anyway...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
BCM was kind enough to send me a Mod 4 for T&E as well.  I already was equipped with an LMT tactical CH, a CMT with a badger latch and a standard.

I don't use the standard one much anymore so I am not used to it.  I have been using the badger for a while and while it's easy to get a hold of it also sticks out a lot on can snag on gear.  That is why I was looking for something to replace it with.

In came the LMT Tactical CH I picked up in a trade.  I was using that and thought this is great.  It' provides enough room to get a hold of and doesn't hang off the side of the gun like the badger did.  I really have no issues with it at all.  Then I received the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4.

I've been using the Mod 4 now.  The design is very robust.  The latch itself is a great size, and provides and excellent grip.  The only complaint I have is what 87GN already mentioned - you can pinch your finger in the bottom.  I did it once.  It's a small price to pay for a design that eliminates the weak point of the CH.

Now to address 87GN's statement that this product is close to making others obsolete - I couldn't agree more.  I got some range time in last weekend with my buddy.  He was running an A2 carbine all stock.  He is fairly new to ARs so we were going over some clearance procedures.  Long story short I was clearing a double feed from his gun and the stock CH felt foreign to me.  I was thinking as my hand slipped right of when I went to rack it that I could never go back to that type of handle.  

So the LMT Tactical CH is great but the BCM Gunfighter is the best thing out there right now.  The edge goes to the Gunfighter because it is a real redesign over just an LMT with an extended latch.  I would recommend the BCM to anyone to try - chances are you will not go back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
BCM was kind enough to send me a Mod 4 for T&E as well.  I already was equipped with an LMT tactical CH, a CMT with a badger latch and a standard.

I don't use the standard one much anymore so I am not used to it.  I have been using the badger for a while and while it's easy to get a hold of it also sticks out a lot on can snag on gear.  That is why I was looking for something to replace it with.

In came the LMT Tactical CH I picked up in a trade.  I was using that and thought this is great.  It' provides enough room to get a hold of and doesn't hang off the side of the gun like the badger did.  I really have no issues with it at all.  Then I received the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4.

I've been using the Mod 4 now.  The design is very robust.  The latch itself is a great size, and provides and excellent grip.  The only complaint I have is what 87GN already mentioned - you can pinch your finger in the bottom.  I did it once.  It's a small price to pay for a design that eliminates the weak point of the CH.

Now to address 87GN's statement that this product is close to making others obsolete - I couldn't agree more.  I got some range time in last weekend with my buddy.  He was running an A2 carbine all stock.  He is fairly new to ARs so we were going over some clearance procedures.  Long story short I was clearing a double feed from his gun and the stock CH felt foreign to me.  I was thinking as my hand slipped right of when I went to rack it that I could never go back to that type of handle.  

So the LMT Tactical CH is great but the BCM Gunfighter is the best thing out there right now.  The edge goes to the Gunfighter because it is a real redesign over just an LMT with an extended latch.  I would recommend the BCM to anyone to try - chances are you will not go back.

Ya sold me..gonna order one of those for my BCM M4!
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I use the PRI Gas Buster.  Pretty much the same thing.

Regards,

Scott
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Even though there are a ton of pictures floating around of these I'll post up a few more:

You can see how far it sticks out using the LMT knob for reference.

Here is the spot where you can pinch your finger, but it's also the reason the handle is so strong.  The latch contacts the solid back of the handle removing the stress from the pin.

Quoted:

Regards,

Scott

Not even close.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well since I have you to thank...well, thanks.

I guess I should thank both of you for reminding me that I havn't ordered one yet....

Just squeezed the last little bit out of my credit card...
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Woo Hoo! PIT FIGHT!!!!!

Anyway, extended latches work great for southpaws.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Regards,
Scott

No, the biggest difference is the the closed back of the BCM charging handle.
Left to right: Gas Buster, BCM Mod 4, standard charging handle with PRI Big latch, standard charging handle

Top to bottom: standard charging handle with PRI Big latch, BCM Mod 4, Gas Buster

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I was satisfied with the PRI Gasbuster. I was getting ready to buy another one when I read a Pat Rogers post on another forum about the BCM Gunfighter CH. I tried one and now I have bought another one with plans for two more. Definitely an improvement over the PRI, LMT, and others that I have tried.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't run my AR hard enough to have broken the stock CH but I ordered one just based on the size and shape of the latch on the Mod 4.

Like others have said, it's the perfect size and shape.   Stout enough to make it easy to manipulate but not too long to snag on stuff.

BCM really did their homework when they designed the thing.

I've got my rifle where it needs to be to run good but now i'm in the stage of adding these little improvements (installed a BAD lever yesterday too) that make the whole system just work better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Any of you guys running a MOD 3 with glass?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
So there's size comparisons with the gas buster, but what about performance?

How does the BCM Gf work while running a can?  Does it divert blowback?

I for one don't want to "upgrade" and spend the cash only to find out that i'm still eating carbon blowback.

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So there's size comparisons with the gas buster, but what about performance?

How does the BCM Gf work while running a can?  Does it divert blow back?

I for one don't want to "upgrade" and spend the cash only to find out that i'm still eating carbon blowback.

It wasn't made to divert blowback.  It was made for ultimate durability.  

Pat Rogers had posted pictures of broken PRI gasbusters on light fighter.  I believe that USMC03 posted a "how to" on making the BCM gunfighter into a gasblocker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any of you guys running a MOD 3 with glass?

Yes, reference my photo on page 1.
NF 2.5-10 on a LT SPR 1.5, works great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Have any pics of how the finish holds up on the right side?  I seem to strip non Colt CH's to bare metal in under 2,000 rounds. Wondering if the BCM is improved in this area?
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#42]
i just received 2 yesterday. sturdy as hell. probably not needed but these things will never break. they pull straight back and dont seem to torgue to either side at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#43]
I got one of the new LMT tactical latches and it works great!  From what I can tell the BCM latch seems to be well made also, might have to give it a try down the road.  Of course I'm not going to do any carbine courses or put thousands of rounds down range either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#44]
87Gn you could not have post this at a better time.  I just started looking for new charge handle and always wondered if it was worth spending the extra money.  I just cant decide if I need the Mod 3 or 4. Do those run smooth out the back, or do they go crooked like the standard ones if pulled from one side?
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 4:11:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do those run smooth out the back, or do they go crooked like the standard ones if pulled from one side?

One of the design features was to eliminate the somewhat side-to-side play when charging the weapon with one hand.  See #2 below.....

Directly from Bravo's site:

The BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle offers two significant advantages.

1.  Since the tiny roll pin is no longer the weak point - it is a much stronger system and tactical latch will stay intact even under repeated support side only manipulation.

2.  With the force kept inside the body of the handle, when the handle is pulled directly to the rear, it moves directly to the rear and does not angle off to the outboard side.  A much smoother operation.

I got mine the other day (thanks again Paul) and this thing just feels solid as hell.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
87Gn you could not have post this at a better time.  I just started looking for new charge handle and always wondered if it was worth spending the extra money.  I just cant decide if I need the Mod 3 or 4. Do those run smooth out the back, or do they go crooked like the standard ones if pulled from one side?

I recommend that you the BCM that is comparable to what you already use. The Mod 3 is similar to the Badger and the Mod 4 is similar the PRI.  

The BCM charging handle seems to twist less than a standard charging handle.  But I have been able to actually measure it so it could just be in my head.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm finding this discussion quite interesting.  I've had my new carbine about 5 weeks and promptly
purchased TAOTTC (1 & 2) and i play along (safely of course) at home.

I kinda  bruised up the nerve in my  index finger pretty good, rack-rack-racking the charging
handle.

It looks like all the Mod. 4 gunfighters are sold out, but lots of Mod 3s are out there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2009 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought one a few weeks back for my new project/build. I'm looking forward to putting it all together
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I bought one a few weeks back for my new project/build. I'm looking forward to putting it all together

Details needed.  SBR?
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details needed.  SBR?

ordered one for my all BCM M4
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top