Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Breaker of Stuff
Posted: 9/29/2009 2:55:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 2:58:09 PM EST by 87GN]
This product is as close to making another product obsolete as I have ever seen in the AR-15 world. If that sentence seems awkward, I apologize. Just let it sink in for a few moments.

BCM doesn't need my help to sell any of these charging handles, but they did see fit to send me a Mod 4, along with a Gunfighter T-shirt.

Plenty of pictures have been posted in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=454874&page=3

There's not much you can say about charging handles, other than they've needed improvement for some time, and none of the latches or handles that have been produced until this point have offered any meaningful improvement to every shooter.

I'll start with a photo of a cheap charging handle that never even made it to the range, bending after one or two pulls:

That's not likely to happen with this design (photo stolen from BCM):

Furthermore, the length of this Mod 4 latch is just about perfect for me, as I don't have optics mounted in a position that would interfere with manipulating the charging handle, necessitating a longer latch. If you have stuff mounted to the rear of the receiver, think about the larger latch.

I can finally manipulate the charging handle the way I was trained to do so, with the knife edge of my hand, and have a very positive grip on the latch in the process. Before, with a standard charging handle, I'd have to keep my hand at the perfect angle so as to not slip off the handle, yet disengage the latch at the same time. Now, those issues are gone. My only complaint is that with an ungloved hand, there's a small risk of getting pinched by the latch. It's a minor complaint and has no effect on my ability to do what I need to do with the part. Also, within the limits of a short (1 hour) range session, I didn't have any major issues with the latch snagging on gear, unlike products such as the Badger latch, which I used for all of one day before going back to stock.

I'll say it again, this product comes closer to making an AR-15 part obsolete than anything I've ever handled. I scoffed at that very idea when I saw this handle - rolling my eyes, saying "what, now I have to buy half a dozen new charging handles, my old ones are obsolete?" The answer is yes, the GFH does make that much of a difference. I think BCM sending me a GFH for free was just a clever ploy to get me to buy more, because I'm definitely going to do just that.
Good Night, and Big Balls
type56
Light hearted Staff Sergeant
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:00:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:01:57 PM EST by type56]
I have tens of thousands of rounds through my regular charging handle and no problems...Why the gawdy "operator" gear???

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted". Sure, Bravo company makes great stuff, but why the hype for a charging handle???
"After watching the footage of the Kent State shootings, Bobby Jay, then seventeen, signed up for the National Guard so that he, too, could shoot college students."-Thank You for smoking
87GN
Breaker of Stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:01:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By type56:
I have tens of thousands of rounds through my regular charging handle and no problems...Why the gawdy "operator" gear???

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted".

Exactly what I thought before I handled one.

Then...I handled one.

It's $20-25 more than a quality charging handle (which is still a weaker design) and much easier to manipulate.
Long_Rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:02:06 PM EST
I got the Mod 4 also and it works well with an MBUS. The Mod 3 would've been too big. I got mine from G & R Tactical so I didn't get any BCM swag. I would definitely order my next Gunfighter CHs straight from Bravo next time.
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:03:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:03:39 PM EST by type56]
Originally Posted By 87GN:

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted".

Then...I handled one.

It's $20-25 more than a quality charging handle (which is still a weaker design) and much easier to manipulate.

Bro, I'll take your word for it....But I would rather spend the cash on ammo, than buy a new charging handle. If mine ever breaks, i'll get one, I promise.
"After watching the footage of the Kent State shootings, Bobby Jay, then seventeen, signed up for the National Guard so that he, too, could shoot college students."-Thank You for smoking
artsohc
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:03:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:05:43 PM EST by artsohc]

I'll say it again, this product comes closer to making an AR-15 part obsolete than anything I've ever handled. I scoffed at that very idea when I saw this handle - rolling my eyes, saying "what, now I have to buy half a dozen new charging handles, my old ones are obsolete?" The answer is yes, the GFH does make that much of a difference. I think BCM sending me a GFH for free was just a clever ploy to get me to buy more, because I'm definitely going to do just that.

HA! Sucker.

I figured the same thing, why do I need to spend $45 on a CH that probably doesn't do anything a $20 CH from CMT can't? I figured BCM was just making money on me for being a sucker that will buy anything with BCM written on it.

BCM can surprise the best of us.
AR15's are like cars, upgrades to make them run better are cool, upgrades to make them look cooler are dumb.

I am currently preparing for the imminent zombie invasion.
Long_Rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:04:31 PM EST

I mean really, whats wrong with a regular charging handle? Used mine in carbine courses, and my M4 in the sandbox had a regular charging handle, and again no problems there...To quote "A fool and his money is soon parted". Sure, Bravo company makes great stuff, but why the hype for a charging handle???

If you don't want one then don't get one. Why are you getting all emotional about it? PMS much?

87GN
Breaker of Stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:06:05 PM EST

Bro, I'll take your word for it....But I would rather spend the cash on ammo, than buy a new charging handle. If mine ever breaks, i'll get one, I promise.

I hear you. If you get the chance to try one out, don't hesitate. You may find yourself borrowing spare change from your junior NCOs to get one.
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:09:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By Long_Rifle:

If you don't want one then don't get one. Why are you getting all emotional about it? PMS much?

STFU n00b...
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:10:57 PM EST

I hear you. If you get the chance to try one out, don't hesitate. You may find yourself borrowing spare change from your junior NCOs to get one.

I actually take what you say about gear to heart, you seem to know what your talking about...But I aint got any use for one just yet..But I guess I could beat a few lower enlisted in a game of poker and get one!!
Long_Rifle
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:12:15 PM EST

STFU n00b...

I guess your 1,887 of worthless banter make you an expert on the subject.

87GN
Breaker of Stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:14:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:14:51 PM EST by 87GN]
I would really appreciate it if this thread did not go downhill. Does not go downhill. Where is my English today?
sd_norske
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:14:53 PM EST

Then...I handled one.

Once you figure in an after market latch there isn't much of a difference in price.

I've never broken a charging handle like what is in your picture but I have broken the pin. The BCM is a definite improvement IMO.
"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production." unknown
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:16:08 PM EST

STFU n00b...

I guess your 1,887 of worthless banter make you an expert on the subject.

No my 10 years of using a M16 variant makes me a expert on this...Sorry 87 for the hijack
rav3nwulfe
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:18:26 PM EST

STFU n00b...

wow, now that's class. congratulations.
utahvarminter
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:18:59 PM EST
Fight! Fight! Fight! fi....

sorry, old habits.
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:19:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By rav3nwulfe:

STFU n00b...

wow, now that's class. congratulations.

I try...
Toiyabe66
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's Wingman
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:26:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:27:22 PM EST by Toiyabe66]
I managed to bend a charging handle in a similar fashion to the one pictured in the OP, at a class.

As a result, I bought 3 handles, figuring I could flip them if I didn't like them.

I like them. A lot.
It is much easier to manipulate the charging handle than before, and they seem to be plenty tough. I also get a much more positive purchase on the latch, gloved and bare handed.

By the time you factor in an aftermarket latch, like a Badger, there really isn't that much of a price difference.

I'm glad you liked them, 87GN.

Oratio Ultima Regem

BCM has continually provided me with the best customer service I have ever experienced, and products to match.

DeHavilland Canada Fanboy.
87GN
Breaker of Stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:28:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Toiyabe66:

I'm glad you liked them, 87GN.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/toiyabe66/DSC_0002-1.jpg

Well since I have you to thank...well, thanks.
jerz_subbie
It's nice to live in a free state!
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:28:41 PM EST
To anyone with 1st hand experience...

How would you compare the Mod4 to the new LMT handle?

How would you compare the Mod 3 to a quality handle with Badger Gen II latch?

When it comes down to it, these BCM handles are a good deal. They're made by Vltor for BCM, two top quality names, and at $45 they're "neck & neck" with a standard handle @ $20 + tac latch @ $20. I'm just trying to decide if I make the switch or not. My BRD is slowing making me become a gear whore btw.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
echofivekilo
fmr. Sgt. USMC
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:30:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:31:14 PM EST by echofivekilo]
Back on track here a little bit. The BCM thing looks like a good product. I picked up one of the Badger latches a while back so I could hit it with my palm towards me. No problems with the Badger latch and it works fine for the palm method.

However, I noticed in last weekend's carbine course that I was reverting to the knuckle method. (Using the knuckle of the index finger of my support hand to hit the CH.) I also realized that the Badger latch does stick out quite a bit. I was running a belt rig so snagging on gear wasn't an issue but, with the rifle slung across my chest it was prodding me and got a little annoying.

So, the BCM charging handle may be the next change I make to the rifle.

ETA: we're back on track already. I type slow.
http://www.youtube.com/1341usmc
Toiyabe66
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's Wingman
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:31:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2009 3:32:19 PM EST by Toiyabe66]
Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
To anyone with 1st hand experience...

How would you compare the Mod4 to the new LMT handle?

How would you compare the Mod 3 to a quality handle with Badger Gen II latch?

When it comes down to it, these BCM handles are a good deal. They're made by Vltor for BCM, two top quality names, and at $45 they're "neck & neck" with a standard handle @ $20 + tac latch @ $20. I'm just trying to decide if I make the switch or not. My BRD is slowing making me become a gear whore btw.

I haven't tried the LMT handle, but I have a Badger Gen II on a colt handle.
The BCM is much easier to manipulate, with a much more positive disengagement, and has the side benefit of not being anywhere near as snag-happy. It also seems to slide more smoothly.

It also doesn't dig into me when slung as badly.

Edit: Compare with above post for Badger thoughts.
Oratio Ultima Regem

BCM has continually provided me with the best customer service I have ever experienced, and products to match.

DeHavilland Canada Fanboy.
BigCoastie
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:33:38 PM EST

Then...I handled one.

20$ of ammo should get you pretty far
Non-native Texan and PROUD!

"Coast Guard!, it's like the Navy combined with Baywatch"
www.gocoastguard.com
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:33:38 PM EST
Ok 87, i took your word and ordered one just now from BCM, It was 52.and some change with shipping....I hope its all you said it is.

Also, If it doesnt make me shoot sub MOA with my Vulcan plastic M4 Im takin you to the pit!!!
type56
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:35:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By BigCoastie:

Then...I handled one.

20$ of ammo should get you pretty far

Actually its over 50.00 smart ass. thats lke 1050 rounds of .22LR...
87GN
Breaker of Stuff
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/29/2009 3:37:01 PM EST
Ok 87, i took your word and ordered one just now from BCM, It was 52.and some change with shipping....I hope its all you said it is.

Also, If it doesnt make me shoot sub MOA with my Vulcan plastic M4 Im takin you to the pit!!!

I really doubt that you will be disappointed. If you are, I'll buy it off you.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4