Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2009 12:05:42 PM EDT
I realize there are better gun cases out there but I thought this would be fun for the range and as a conversation piece.  Under $70 in materials.  The music store guy was surprisingly cool in helping me pick a case when I told him what I wanted to do.  I figured on dealing with a total hippy who would have wet himself at such a thought.  Anyway...I'm not entirely pleased with how it turned out but I learned a bit so my next one should be better.  What does Arfcom think?

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice job! What is it you don't like?
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's cool.  Can you go into more detail about how you made the rifle fit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Make it fit in a violin case and I will be impressed.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you did really well!  Were you able to bring in your AR to the store to check the fit?

No second looks from neighbors as you go in and out of your house with your AR now.

What is it that you are not pleased with?  I think its great!
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
VERY nice!  You should consider making a bunch of these and selling them in the Equipment Exchange.  You could easily double your money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The finish of the felt is what disappoints me a bit.  Getting the cloth (red cotton) around all the corners was the hardest part of the project and that would really show if I removed the rifle from the case.

As for fitting it in a violin case, I specifically wanted a case that would fit an assembled AR.  Besides, the music store I went to didn't have any violin cases.

Getting the rifle to fit wasn't too hard.  The part you'll need to pay attention to is the width of the case's neck area and the distance from the bottom of your handguard to the top of the front sight.  I discovered that middy and carbine-length ARs place the front sight in the neck; a 20-inch rifle moves the front sight post into the area for the guitar head.  In fact, a 20-inch A2 fits PERFECTLY in this case.  Another area to watch is how far forward you can move the AR in the case.  Here you can see that both the front of the mag well and front of the carry handle limit how far forward an AR can go.  You wouldn't think it but my middy flattop with an ACOg and flattop carbine with an Eotech wouldn't fit because the height of the optic interfered with how the barrel fit down the case's neck.  Even with this rifle it's so tight that I can say that an upper without a bayonet lug will fit better than an upper with one.  I can also say a Marlin 20-inch lever gun will fit and that neither a Savage MKII .22 nor an M1A will not (both too long).

In terms of actually modifying the case to fit the AR it was easy.  I removed the support for the guitar's bridge from the case then traced the shape of the case onto some closed cell foam pads I found at Wal mart.  While I probably paid more for the pads there than it would cost over the internet I was able to get the last box of .45 auto in the store so it was worth it.  Anyway, cut the foam to shape and test fit it.  I put a 1-inch layer in the bottom of the case, then added another inch with the hole cut out for the Pmags.  The top inch of padding is cut to the shape of the AR, and to do that I just used a sharpie to trace it and used scissors.  The hot wire method would make a cleaner cut but I used what I had on hand.  The felt also came from WM and cost $2-$3/yard.  I bought 3 yards and have enough left over to do another case like this one.  I used Permatex spray-on headliner adhesive to stick it to the foam and stick the layers of foam to each other.  The top layer of the case has another inch of padding.  This amount of padding offers a minimum 1 inch padding for all components and when the case is closed the foam sandwiches the AR securely in place.  I have pictures of most of the process if people want to see them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think you did really well!  Were you able to bring in your AR to the store to check the fit?

No second looks from neighbors as you go in and out of your house with your AR now.

What is it that you are not pleased with?  I think its great!

Funny you should mention that first part.  When I told the guy at the store what I was up to he got really quiet but then asked if I brough the rifle with me.  I said "No, because I really wasn't sure what sort of reception I might get."  He laughed and replied "If you just poked your head in the door and mentioned what you were up to I would be cool with it, but if you just brought in a rifle out of the blue we would have had a shootout."  Who knew the music store guy was a gun guy too?

Thanks on the compliments but this case is definitely not nice enough to sell.  If I can improve my upholstery fit and finish I'll consider trying to sell some.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool idea.

Quoted:
I have pictures of most of the process if people want to see them.

Of course.

There should be an "odd weapons cases" thread... although it would probably die before everyone got to see it/post
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very cool idea.

Quoted:
I have pictures of most of the process if people want to see them.

Of course.

There should be an "odd weapons cases" thread... although it would probably die before everyone got to see it/post

Such a thread does exist.  In fact it was the discrete weapons case thread that inspired me to tackled this project.

But here are the pics:

The case I chose is made by a company called Triumph.  It has an internal length of 40 inches and features are rudimentary lock.

Here's a pic just to illustrate the total size and that a Marlin 1894SS will fit nicely.  At some point I think I'll try an old west style case for this rifle.

Here's a look at the support for the guitar's neck.  Notice the screws in the side:  this support is screwed, stapled and glued in place.  The screws came out easily but I still had to rip the support out to break the glue bond.  I used a set of pliers to remove the remnants of the staples.

The case is just a tad under twice as wide as each sheet so I laid out 2 sheets of foam, used ammo cans to weigh them down and take out the curl (the sheets come rolled up so they try to retain that shape) and traced as many outlines as possible, which turned out to be 6 per 2 sheets.  Note that this method leaves a seam more or less at the base of the neck.  I cut the final 2 templates from a single piece of foam to eliminate that seam so that the topmost upholstered layer will be seamless.  Also, gratuitous feline shot.

I glued two 1/2-inch layers of foam to the bottom of the case.  Once more I used ammo cans to weigh down the foam and help it conform to the case.  Note that the foam cutouts retain their shape memory and have a curl to them.  I recommend placing them so that the middle of the foam is trying to curve up and the edges are curving down (if that makes sense) because it's easier to weigh down the middle of each piece of foam than the edges.

Lay out your weapon of choice and trace it so you can make your cuts.

All my cuts are made.  Notice there is 1 inch of foam in the case with no weapon-shaped cuts at all.  Notice too that two more 1/2-inch layers only have cuts for the Pmags.  The topmost two layers have cuts for the Pmags and the weapon itself.

Next time I do this I won't cut the foam so closely to the shape of the weapon.  It looks like a great fit at this point, and it is, but adding the felt later on made the fit a bit tighter than it probably should be.

Unfortunately it was at this point that I started getting ahead of myself, working more and taking fewer pictures.  However, notice that I upholstered in layers, so that before I glued down the foam with the Pmag cutouts that I glued some felt to the layer below that so that the "floor" of that hole, if you will, is upholstered.  I then glued the 2 layers with the Pmag holes together and upholstered them before gluing them in place.  Then I glued the final two layers together and upholstered them before gluing them in place.

I don't have any pics of the upholstery process, but since I'm unsatisfied with that aspect of my project perhaps it's just as well.  Here's another shot of the final result with my bonus .45 ACP score from visiting Wal Mart (forgive me, but I was really excited to find some food for my 1911s and USPs).

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Bravo!

You have plenty of room below the stock for more mags
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I would have used a Strat case . . .
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#12]
That is sweet! Great job!
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the additional info.

Make sure that when you make another one you post pics!
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Case looks great, nice work. Personally I could give a hoot if my neighbors see me toting. I once had a neighbor in an old apartment I lived in call the cops because they saw me carry my rifle into the apartment. When the Deputy got there and realized I was just bringing it in the apartment from my truck after a day of blasting he sat there for a good 20 minutes shooting the breeze with me and checking my SP-1 out. He even told me which neighbor it was. He then went and talked to them about it as to him it was no big deal.

This would be great for people who live in apartments or high crime areas so the thiefs dont know what you have. Would like to see it fit more than 2 mags.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I built it not because I care about people seeing me carry a rifle but because I just thought it would be cool––that's it.  I also thought about creating a space for mags below and behind the stock but thought that might upset the balance of the case.  

How is a Stratocaster case different?  Forgive my ignorance, I know absolutely nothing about guitars.  I originally thought about using a slimmer electric guitar case but the store I went to just didn't have any.  After completing the project I like the thicker case because it allows for more padding.  Next time, though, I'll definitely try to find one with a thicker neck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I built it not because I care about people seeing me carry a rifle but because I just thought it would be cool––that's it.  I.

No better reason needed. Good job.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice!  I was thinking about this myself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I built it not because I care about people seeing me carry a rifle but because I just thought it would be cool––that's it.  I also thought about creating a space for mags below and behind the stock but thought that might upset the balance of the case.  

How is a Stratocaster case different?  Forgive my ignorance, I know absolutely nothing about guitars.  I originally thought about using a slimmer electric guitar case but the store I went to just didn't have any.  After completing the project I like the thicker case because it allows for more padding.  Next time, though, I'll definitely try to find one with a thicker neck.

A Strat case is a a rectangle.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GC-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-Case?sku=544781
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks good to me.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Strat case complete with Fender logo would definitely be the bees knees.....I think the height of concealment for a deployment where you could poss fit the 12 ga and CAR in the same case, along with mags/extra blammo/slings/alternate optics, etc.....hmmmmm.
 Now thats tacticool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Ah.  The music store guy actually suggested I use one of those, or a keyboard case.  However, I really wanted something that's recognizable to a layman as a guitar case.  But for incognito use or concealment the Strat case might be better, then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Make it fit in a violin case and I will be impressed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/rjszurgot/tommygun.jpg

Featheredmafia,

the "DIY discreet gun case" was/is an excellent thread. You did a very nice job on the "How too" post with pics and descriptions. Once I finish the mods to my AR.... I'll be building a functional "violin case" for it. The above pic was using a case that already has a violin calling it home  It just illustrates that a AR15 rifle can fit and close. Again, nice job.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work.

I was waiting to see the pic above and there it is!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
My son saw the picture of the guitar case over my shoulder.  

He said that's nothing we could fit several guns in my cello case.

So we decided to see what we could pack in the cello case.

Here is the result.

It even closes:

My youngest plays the string bass, but that would hold so many guns you wouldn't be able to lift the case.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I like it!

I have a new project now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I might try this. Thanks for posting the idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My son saw the picture of the guitar case over my shoulder.  

He said that's nothing we could fit several guns in my cello case.

So we decided to see what we could pack in the cello case.

Here is the result.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN2190.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN2191.jpg

It even closes:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/DSCN2192.jpg

My youngest plays the string bass, but that would hold so many guns you wouldn't be able to lift the case.

Fully loaded that thing could double as a roadblock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#30]
It would be cooler if you could fire it from the case like the HK briefcase. Start filling out that ATF paperwork and make one up
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It would be cooler if you could fire it from the case like the HK briefcase. Start filling out that ATF paperwork and make one up

Hmmmmm.....

I bet I could put a belt fed M-60 in the Cello case.

But at about $300 for the case I don't think I want to shoot through it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Is it a Dewalt Hammerdrill...or a?

I know its not an AR but you get the idea.

ETA: Yes one more mag will fit in the space.  Also another mag will fit if I cut out under the trigger guard, but I was going to do a circle and put the factory sling in it rolled up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#33]

looks like there may be a good space for a pmag over there on the right
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is it a Dewalt Hammerdrill...or a?

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq323/Sabre223/MISC/Dewaltcase.jpg

I know its not an AR but you get the idea.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq323/Sabre223/MISC/DewaltM92.jpg

ETA: Yes one more mag will fit in the space.  Also another mag will fit if I cut out under the trigger guard, but I was going to do a circle and put the factory sling in it rolled up.

Now that is impressive.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Nothing wrong with that at all. They are fun. You could likely sell them pretty well on the EE, I could see a market for that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Pretty sneaky, Sis!
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#37]
ok, this is a cool thread.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Kool guitAR case !!

Like the red felt, gives it a nice touch.
(I made a poker table w/ red felt and black rail)

Good thread

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought another guitar case today.  It's big enough for all of my rifles except my M1A.  I've got to think a bit before I go too much further, but I hope to get started by the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice work. Really cool!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top