Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:07:24 PM EDT
Couldn't find a thread on this subjust so here goes.  Your opinion guys on what would be the BEST red-dot/holo sight scope under 300.00?

I know that Acog,Aimpoint and Eotech are the "top of the line" tactical scopes, but what scopes would be next in line at a lesser price?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
swfa has a ebay store.  ebay has been putting out 10-15% coupons it seems every month or so.  live.com is stuck @ 8% now, but has been up to 15% in the last couple of months, so i would keep an eye out for the coupons on ebay, the live.com % for live cashback and then hit the swfa ebay store.  they sell a compc3 4moa kit w/ lense covers and the rubber sleever for $399.  pretty close to your price point, although a bit over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bushnell Holosight can be had for about $300. From what I've read before, it has the same basic guts as an EOTech, but don't hold me to that as I'm not positive. Then there is also the Bushnell Trophy MP 1x32 that looks like an ACOG that can be had for about $225.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Bushnell
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
A used Aimpoint, found on the EE, for around that price.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I too would be lurking throught the EE

CD
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Save your money for a quality optic.   Dont waste cash on junk, you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a Bushnell Trophy red dot 1x32 for $200.  It is solid, and the T marking in side is bright.  The down side is its heavy.  I'm not sure what an ACOG weighs, but the Bushnell has some weight to it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Used Aimpoint M2 on EE––-  As I said in a diff thread- I've snatched 3 off of the EE for $250-270 each... They were used (nothing some nice duracoat didnt cover up) but the glass on them was perfect...

Or, when Live.com was ridiculous with their rebates, I got 30% off... plus SWFA had 15% off...  I ended up with a new Aimpoint T1 for roughly $250 after rebate... so did my dad... and brother...

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Eotech 511 on my AR, but also have a Bushnell Holosight on my AK.  It works & is the same as the Eotech I have. Picked it up on ebay for $275.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Save your money for an Aimpoint..
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Save your $. OR buy a used EOtech 512 around here. Yea you could probably find an ML2 for that price, but then you still need a mount for it and you don't want to cheap out on that either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The one optic I have that meets your criteria, and that I actually use, is the Millett Zoom Dot 30mm red dot sight.  It can be had for less than $300 if you look around and also somes with (at no extra charge) a very nice picatinny/weaver mount that cowitnesses perfectly with my AR (some places try to charge extra for this mount & the covers, but it is now included in the package, so call and check).  It also comes with lens covers.  It's solid, still made in the USA, and the dot is variable between 1 moa and 10 moa. It's a 1x reflex and works as well as any of the others I have used.  No complaints other than it doesn't use a AA battery.

Some don't like that it is an "auto-adjust" dot but I've yet to find a situation where it doesn't work correctly (dark to bright and vice versa)..   Cheers
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Used EOTech or Aimpoint from the EE, or maybe eBay.  I bought a used EOTech 511 on eBay a few months ago that works fine and it was a lot cheaper than $300.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't be happier with my Vortex Strikefire. Excellent sight. There has been a LOT of positive feedback on them from folks who use 'em and use 'em hard. Comes with rock-solid mounting hardware and a 2x magnifier too, all for under $200. Check their page on the industry forum. The 2x magnifier isn't especially useful in most situations, but what the heck, it's free in the box! I know it's rare these days, especially in the AR world, but sometimes you actually can get a piece of quality gear at a fair price. This is one of those times!
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A used Aimpoint, found on the EE, for around that price.

Yup.  I've found SEVERAL this way.

Along with LaRue mounts, BUIS, and anything else you need.

Quoted:
Used Aimpoint M2 on EE––-  As I said in a diff thread- I've snatched 3 off of the EE for $250-270 each... They were used (nothing some nice duracoat didnt cover up) but the glass on them was perfect...

Or, when Live.com was ridiculous with their rebates, I got 30% off... plus SWFA had 15% off...  I ended up with a new Aimpoint T1 for roughly $250 after rebate... so did my dad... and brother...

Bastards! All of you!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Just save your money and buy a quality red dot optic. I have an Eotech 553, Amipoint Comp M2, Trijicon red dot mounted on my ACOG. And they are all worth the wait to purchase and will last for ever.

You can usually search Gunbroker and find them for that price or maybe a little bit more.

But what ever you do buy qaulity not junk.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys can disagree with me on this...but if the OP wants a NEW optic and doesn't want to spend $400 for an Eotech this is what I'd buy:

Not $300...but $350 with mount is hard to beat for NIB.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Save a little longer and buy an Aimpoint, or buy a used one. Mine is so tough I can't imagine what could be wrong with a used one. Make sure you go with a Larue mount also when you can afford it. I screwed up and managed to drop my rifle off the second story of my house onto my brick porch and it landed directly on my Aimpoint and Larue Mount, held a perfect zero and that is truly  amazing. Just don't go cheap , save more or buy used.

Stay Frosty Gents,
   ARSC
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the awesome responses.  I'm likin' the Vortex.  Have you guys ever heard of this tactical sight:http://burrisoptics.com/xts135.html

Looks equivelant to the AImpoint,Vortex red dot type sights.  But battery life is minimum 200-2000 hrs only.  Amazing how the Aimpoint gets 10,000 hrs!

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

Your grandchildren will thank you.

Also  you might want to checkhere for some more info.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:12:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Uhm, the term "BOOYA!" comes to mind =)
Speak of the devil  on the EE.... Demo models... $279 for this c3...

http://ee.ar15.com/Default.aspx?iid=14453
ML3 $300–– yes, it is sold... didnt see that till after the booya was achieved...

http://ee.ar15.com/Default.aspx?iid=14455

You'd be hard pressed to beat these prices... on 95%+ condition?...

Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Hands down the Burris fastfire.......and they can be found for less then the price I am showing.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-fastfire-w-picatinny-mount-4-moa-dot-mat-fastfire-sight.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Save a little longer and buy an Aimpoint, or buy a used one. Mine is so tough I can't imagine what could be wrong with a used one. Make sure you go with a Larue mount also when you can afford it. I screwed up and managed to drop my rifle off the second story of my house onto my brick porch and it landed directly on my Aimpoint and Larue Mount, held a perfect zero and that is truly  amazing. Just don't go cheap , save more or buy used.

Stay Frosty Gents,
   ARSC

You need to sling up when you're on your roof with your AR

Link Posted: 6/19/2009 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I had never seen the Vortex red dot before.  It is well priced at $149 with the mount and 2x.  My concern is that it is paralex free outside of 50 yards.  Can anyone that has one confirm that?  How does it shoot inside of 50 yards since this is the area where red dots are most useful?  It also has a short battery life compared to the Aimpoint (200-2000 hours).
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
My 512 rev. F Eotech was $290 shipped to my door.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had never seen the Vortex red dot before.  It is well priced at $149 with the mount and 2x.  My concern is that it is paralex free outside of 50 yards.  Can anyone that has one confirm that?  How does it shoot inside of 50 yards since this is the area where red dots are most useful?  It also has a short battery life compared to the Aimpoint (200-2000 hours).

Most RDS optics are likewise only truly parallax free beyond 50 yards. The ammount of parallax inside 50 yards will only be enough to affect point of impact less than an inch, and even then it would only manifest itself if you shifted your cheek weld around quite a bit. Basically it is normal and isn't something that will give you any problems.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#27]
The Burris red dot is OK, it has a 5MOA dot which is a bit big for my tastes...but never compare it to an Aimpoint, even the C3 or ML2, it's nowhere even near that level.

Battery life on cheap red dot optics are usually 200-500 hours.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Burris red dot is OK, it has a 5MOA dot which is a bit big for my tastes...but never compare it to an Aimpoint, even the C3 or ML2, it's nowhere even near that level.

Glad you brought up battery life because I completely forgot about that in my earlier posts. Battery life on the Vortex is stated to be between 2,000 and 3,000 hours depending upon brightness setting. I can't personally verify this because I'm still using the original battery in mine that came in the sight. Also there is a 2-hour automatic shut-off feature that will prevent draining the battery if it is accidentally left on. It's nowhere near as long as the 50,000 or so hours you get with an Aimpoint, but it's many times more than what is offered with some of the other less expensive electronic sights. To compare, even an Eotech 512 only advertises a 1,000 hour battery life using lithium batteries and also has a programmable auto shut-off feature.

Link Posted: 6/19/2009 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
This is what I use while I save up:
Walther Red Dot Sight

I bought it when it was on sale for around $55. Check Amazon and other places and it should be there for cheaper. Holds zero, sturdy mount, nice brightness settings, allows co-witnessing of irons, etc. All you can want for a red dot. Unless you are using your sight for work and need uber battery life then I would look into one of these.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#30]
If you do get an Aimpoint or similar RDS, Burris XTR rings are good, inexpensive mounting options.  It's not LaRue, but they work.
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

who is comparing a fastfire to an aimpoint?    he asked for a good red dot for under $300.......I gave him that  for the money($190)  you will be hard pressed to find anything as good

Link Posted: 6/19/2009 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You guys can disagree with me on this...but if the OP wants a NEW optic and doesn't want to spend $400 for an Eotech this is what I'd buy:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/44.jpg

Not $300...but $350 with mount is hard to beat for NIB.

As much as I don't care for Larue himself, I just might have to get one of those.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top