Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2009 4:24:49 PM EDT
Like the title says, Im thinking of getting a Sig AR-15 with gas piston, my questions are, are they any good? Are there any issues with these? Would I be better off going with a different manufacturer for a gas piston opperated AR? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Like the title says, Im thinking of getting a Sig AR-15 with gas piston, my questions are, are they any good? Are there any issues with these? Would I be better off going with a different manufacturer for a gas piston opperated AR? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What's a SIG AR-15?  Is it something new or are you talking about a SIG 556?

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
the sig is by no means an AR. its more a high end AK. other than that i have one. it is a good gun, very reliable and shoots smooth. has a cold hammer forged barrel too. however, an AR is def more comfortable to shoot and there are much accessories for you to spend large sums of money on.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are referring to the Sig 556, it's not an AR-15 in any sense of the word.  The only thing in common between the 556 and a piston driven AR-15 is that they're both black.

The Sig 556 is a short stroke gas piston rifle that takes some of its design inspiration from the AR-18 and AK-47.  The gas piston system is similar to the AR-18 gas system, the bolt carrier takes some design inspiration from the AK-47.

I think they're overpriced, IMO, but the design seems sound.  I shot one once, has decent ergos except its a bit nose heavy.  Not quite as accurate as an AR-15, but far superior to AKs.  There have been some reports of certain small parts having a tendency to break, but I don't know the details.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You would do better if you were to ask in the SIG Rifles forum in the Armory
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
By the way your choices are the SIG556 or SR556
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only thing in common between the 556 and a piston driven AR-15 is that they're both black.

They both accept AR-15 magazines.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing in common between the 556 and a piston driven AR-15 is that they're both black.

They both accept AR-15 magazines.

So do AXR's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My bad, its a SIG .556 (yea I think its pretty obvious that I dont know shit about this rifle lol)... I was thinking of selling the rifle in the photo to fund it, good idea or bad idea? Also, how much more accurate is the standard AR-15 vs the SIG .556?

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW the rifle says SIG .556 006
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the Sig556, if you're looking for a badass SBR. The piston allows a pistol or SBR (or rifle, for that matter) with a folding stock.

As an SBR the 556 is easily controlled (almost amazingly controllable for a rifle round) and you'll love shoot that bitch.

Reliable and able to shoot 10,000 rounds without cleaning it (G&A test)...try that with ANY AR!

I love my AR's, have a lot of them but the ultimate SBR needs to fold...
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Reliable and able to shoot 10,000 rounds without cleaning it (G&A test)...try that with ANY AR!

Pat Rogers is up to 12-15k or so with his Colt 6940, no cleaning yet, no malfunctions.

OP, are you having problems with the rifle you posted?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My bad, its a SIG .556 (yea I think its pretty obvious that I dont know shit about this rifle lol)... I was thinking of selling the rifle in the photo to fund it, good idea or bad idea? Also, how much more accurate is the standard AR-15 vs the SIG .556?

Good or bad idea depends on what you want to do with it.

I have both and I've found the AR to be more accurate.  I was surprised, as I expected the SIG to win in the accuracy competition, but it shot about an 1/2 to 1 MOA greater than a stock AR carbine with the same Ammo.  But I also really like shooting the SIG as it feels different than the AR.  It seems a bit more solid and it shoots smoother than my ARs in both DI and piston.  Follow on rapid fire shots with the SIG seem a bit easier to control.  The SIG is WAY nose heavy with the stock fish-gill forearm - but I swapped them out for the 550 handguards and it feels like a completely different rifle now.  I haven't done may drills yet with the SIG with the new 550 handguards, but looking forward to seeing how it shoots.  You also don't get that annoying "sproing" sound with the SIG.

Having said all that, if I had to chose between my SIG and one of my ARs - I would take my AR.  Its lighter, more versatle, more adaptable, has more options and is more accurate.  But since I don't have to choose, I'm glad I have both.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldn't tell any noticable difference in accuracy with my "normal" Ar and my Sig 556. I sold of fthe Sig because it was ammo picky
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pat Rogers is up to 12-15k or so with his Colt 6940, no cleaning yet, no malfunctions.

OP, are you having problems with the rifle you posted?

No, no problems at all, I just like the idea of the piston in the SIG, but my AR is very smooth and accurate! I guess I like my collection to consist of arms that would perform very well in a SHTF situation where my life would ultimately depend on them... This being said, I think of how clean the AR likes to be and what role that would play if I didnt have access to cleaning supplies as often as the AR would need them... Let me ask you guys this, what if the decision was between the SIG .556 and the LWRC .556 M6 with piston?

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both - an AR and a Sig 556 - the Sig wins hands down imho . The Sig's trigger is much smoother and is a hell of alot easier to clean - no gunk on the bolt carrier and also You don't have to oil the crap out of the Sig to keep it going - a drop of oil here and there and You're gtg . It looks like You got a nice rig there-before You sell it test fire a 556 and see if You like it better - the 556 is definitely a different animal and not for everyone . As far as price - Yeah , they're a little up there but I saw a Bushmaster Mforgery at the local gun shop with a price tag of $1499
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Let me ask you guys this, what if the decision was between the SIG .556 and the LWRC .556 M6 with piston?

IMHO, LWRC hands down.  But if you're looking for a piston AR, take a hard look at LMT's piston uppers.  I have one and love it so far.  And with the MRP platform - you can swap barrels out at will with different lengths and different calibers as well.  AND its about $500 less for a full gun than the LWRC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Let me ask you guys this, what if the decision was between the SIG .556 and the LWRC .556 M6 with piston?

IMHO, LWRC hands down.  But if you're looking for a piston AR, take a hard look at LMT's piston uppers.  I have one and love it so far.  And with the MRP platform - you can swap barrels out at will with different lengths and different calibers as well.  AND its about $500 less for a full gun than the LWRC.

+1    If you just like the piston idea, why not get a piston upper? Cheaper, and more "standard" than the 556

ETA:  besides you know the bushy is dependable, might as well keep it
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Get what you really want

Never own a sig rifle/carbine But love my P229 handgun
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both and, again, even the incredible LWRC M6A2 (w/FA) is limited to it's 10.5" barrel and 6 position stock. The 10" Sig556 has a folder and works well in tight spaces (car, buildings, places you're in more often then an open field).

Still, I'd grab my LWRC first loaded with a C-mag Beta 100 on FA but with the Sig556 SBR slung over the shoulder.

Link Posted: 5/20/2009 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My two kopeks....... I purchased two SIG556's (standard and "swat" model) long story short....... DON"T DO IT.  The SIG is not an AR and I'd take an AK-?? over it anyday.
1. Less accurate.
2. Canted rails.
3. Worthless piece of shit sites.
4. Overpriced.
5. You get Sig's customer service, nuff said.
6.  If you reload, the 556 munches on spent brass before ejecting it.

Get yourself a Colt or a Noveske and you'll have saved yourself some headaches.  Now if we we're talking about a "real" SIG i.e................ "swiss" SIG 550/SIG 551/SIG 552 Commando/SIG 550 Sniper that would be a whole nother story.  Sig has in every case cut corners and used the cheapest p.o.s components, and again their customer service sucks.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

.....Still, I'd grab my LWRC first loaded with a C-mag Beta 100 on FA but with the Sig556 SBR slung over the shoulder.

Damn killer, you can have your tv back now, just put the guns down and you'll never see my ass in your neighborHOOD again, o.k?
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....Still, I'd grab my LWRC first loaded with a C-mag Beta 100 on FA but with the Sig556 SBR slung over the shoulder.

Damn killer, you can have your tv back now, just put the guns down and you'll never see my ass in your neighborHOOD again, o.k?

Fair enough, but if you can pick up one of these tv's...you're gonna get lit up because we don't want your big ass around here!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top