Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2009 10:06:16 AM EDT
From reading various threads I'm not even certain if it refers only to trigger or not .  How about keeping the controversy to a dull roar

Getting serious about building my own AR.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Pin sizes (approx):

Trigger and Hammer pins - Small .154 / Large .170

Front pivot pins - Small .250 / Large .315
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pin sizes (approx):

Ok, thanks.  Guess I should have been more clear (title updated)
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Colt used the large pin setup in some of their lowers to make it difficult to drop in full-auto parts.

At least that's what the interwebz told me...

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colt used the large pin setup in some of their lowers to make it difficult to drop in full-auto parts.

At least that's what the interwebz told me...

So the small pin is the common type and the majority of lowers (and LPKs) will be small pin?
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt also used a large pivot pin in some of their ARs.  If you have any brand but Colt, chances are 99.9% you have small pins.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So the small pin is the common type and the majority of lowers (and LPKs) will be small pin?[/div]

YES.

only colt factory guns will come with large FCG pins.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Colt went to using larger pins on their receivers and triggers during the AWB.  This was to make it difficult for people to install military and law enforcement only parts.

The benefits of using the smaller pin receivers, are that you can use any milspec sized replacement parts.  Since every other manufacturer stayed with the original military sized pins, the greatest compatability with parts is with the smaller pin sizes.

Advantage of large pins is ...

Well I guess you got a pretty good chance that if you have a Colt it's all Colt.

Yeah, Colt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt does not use a large pivot pin anymore and Colt is in the process of phasing out large FCG pins.  All Colt 6940s have .155 and the 6920s are transitioning to .155.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colt went to using larger pins on their receivers and triggers during the AWB.  This was to make it difficult for people to install military and law enforcement only parts.

The benefits of using the smaller pin receivers, are that you can use any milspec sized replacement parts.  Since every other manufacturer stayed with the original military sized pins, the greatest compatability with parts is with the smaller pin sizes.

Well I guess you got a pretty good chance that if you have a Colt it's all Colt.

Yeah, Colt.

Colt did it long before the AWB.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok, excellent.  Small pin is fine with me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pin sizes (approx):

Practical benefits of the large pin configuration:  None.

The only reason Colt went to the large pins was to prevent installation of cheaper surplus M-16 parts.

The thickness of the lower receiver walls vs. the M-16 lower prevents easy installation of an auto sear anyway.

Colt got nervous.  Looks like no one else has followed, except to accomodate Colt owners.

In other words, there is no functionality-related benefit to purposely going to a large pin configuration.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, Colt.

Colt did it long before the AWB.

Still.  Yeah, Colt.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top