Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2009 7:45:25 AM EDT
Hi - I was wondering if anyone has experience with the JP stainless tactical bolt carrier and the JP/Leitner-Wise bolt assembly?  http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7_bc.php  This package is wickedly expensive at ~ $360.  But is the smoother operation and improved life worth thre premium?

For a little extra context, I am looking to get a spare BCG for my Noveske 16" VTAC (I'm taking TDI's tactical carbine class this summer, and would like to have some spare parts on hand).  It looks like my Novske came with a BCM BCG, which I've been happy with (and I love the rifle overall).  I'd happily order another BCM BCG, but can't find one in stock.  

Finially, does anyone have thoughts about JP rifles in general.  I love my Noveske, and it has given me a case of "black rifle fever."  I'd like to get a second rifle (I'm thinking 18" SPR-type this time).  I'm debating waiting for Noveske to start taking orders again, and getting a 18" SPR w/ VIS, or joing w/ a 18" JP-15.  I havn't shot a JP yet, but I hear great things about the fire control group, JP's process of fitting the barrel to upper, etc....  I'm a little curious about how much louder the comp is (vs the YHM phantom on my VTAC) - the JP guys say it makes for a very soft shooting rifle.  

Again, I've been very happy w/ Noveske, but the thought of getting a JP to have something a little different is appealing.  Plus, then I can try the Noveske 16" upper on the JP lower, perhaps for the best of both worlds.  Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of JP's products are geared toward the Competition realm. For the tactical application, some may not be the best idea. Their trigger for example is a very nice one, I have one. And you can make it around 4.5lbs but I have heard of it failing in class(tac.carb.class). So I am not sure it is something you would want to bet you life on. I also had interest in the bolt and carriers you mentioned. I cant buy the carrier I wanted(TOS m16) with out a Form 4, I still may try a bolt. but for now BCM, LMT and CMT BCGs are what I use and have for backups for my two Noveske VTACS..
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
JP makes sleek, high-performance rifles.. for the Competitive/3-Gun venue.  As an all-around rifle, and I'm talking about the CTR-02, I wouldn't take it to a carbine class given all the custom doodads that they've added to the rifle: lightened bolt carrier, adjustable gas system, lightened trigger, etc.  More parts = more complexity = more shit to break.  You wouldn't take a Ferrari as a daily driver, would you?
However, they do make the JP-15 VTAC line, with a chrome-lined barrel and stripped of all the customizations, specifically targeted for the MIL/LE audience.  This may be a better all-around rifle for you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]
JP stuff is really nice - I have a lot of their parts on my 3-gun rifles. However, most of it is geared more towards competition use. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as 3-gun competition is one of the most arduous and demanding of applications... way more likely to cause failure than the dirt shooting most arfcommers do . I've had one of their triggers on my match rifle for 8 years, and it has never let me down.

As for the specific parts you asked about, after breaking a regular GI bolt in a match earlier this year, I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $$$ on the LW/JKP bolt; its nicely made and has functioned fine so far, but be aware that it does use a proprietary extractor, which JP does not sell . I've never used their bolt carrier, but they look nicely made. With this said, I believe their carriers are lighter in weight than a standard carrier, and are designed for use with their adjustable gas block (lets the shooter tune if for minimal felt recoil). I'm not sure its wise to use an adajustable gas block on a tactical rifle... better to stick with a pinned, wide open GI gas block for the utmost reliability in adverse conditions IMHO. Personally, I would stick with a plain GI M16 or shrouded AR15 bolt carrier for your purposes... it will function fine in the backup role you have in mind.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get the Tactical carrier for $160 and the bolt for $127 from Brownells if you have the discount.  I've got one and I plan on getting more for the rest of my ARs.  The staking on the gas key is perfect.  The finish is nice and slick, so it's easy to clean up.  Haven't put enough rounds through it to tell what the life span is like, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the bolt in a milspec f/a carrier.  Put about 150rds and so far no problems.  I have been looking for a couple extra extractors for it, but cant find any.  Maybe if we can get enough interest he will start selling them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The JP tactical bolt is actually a little heavier than the Young that I have, I havn't shot the gun with the JP carrier in it yet, but the fit and finish is nice, and it seems to have a lot more bearing surface.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My first AR was a JP CTR-02.  This will shoot sub MOA with match grade ammo.  It will easily shoot MOA (inlcuding 5 shot groups in 1" in 5 seconds from a bipod).  The recoil signature is nil due to the fire control group, comp, weight, etc.  I purchased mine for 3 Gun and it has been rock solid reliable once I tuned the gas block.  If you want an 18" SPR, I would look at the the JP-15 set up for the reasons others have mentioned.

I'm sure you've already seen the JP website.  You can believe everything you see on there.

My second AR was a Noveske/Magpul Recce 16".  I like this one as well and would use this one for tactical purposes, classes, etc.  However, I am going to replace this trigger with either a JP or AR Gold trigger.

Before you spend the $$, I would try to find someone with a JP nearby and shoot it and see what you think.

My next AR is JP LRP-07 in 308 that is being built.

After that, it will be a SBR with a Noveske barrel in 6.8 SPC, once Noveske makes their new barrels.

So as you can see, I like them both.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top