Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:59:42 PM EDT
Are the M16 and AR15 firing pins essentially interchangeable or is there issues using the M16 pin on the AR15 carrier?

Have a few of both and am just curious regarding spares.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the same. No problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They are the same. .................
No they are not but I can not see how using either one in either application would be an issue.

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They are the same. No problem.

They are not the same and there is a problem when using an M16 firing pin in a non-shrouded AR-15 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't use an M16 firing pin with the combination of an unshrouded semi carrier and notched hammer.  Otherwise you should be okay.

ETA: I was typing when Molon beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so thats the key if My AR15 carrier has the firing pin shrouded than there is no issue.

Thanks.  I knew it had to be something obvious.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys are correct, I was misinformed. In an effort to show I don't spout nonsense here is a reference.
US Patent 5421119 - M16/Ar15 Riffle
-also-
Bravo Company (carries less weight, I know)

Upon further review I found an exerpt from "The Competitive AR 15"  LINK saying that my prior post is wrong.
The further I read and the more sources I reference the more contradictory evidence I stack up.

I apologize for being wrong. Thank you for correcting me, limiting misinformation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys are correct, I was misinformed. In an effort to show I don't spout nonsense here is a reference.
-also-

Upon further review I found an exerpt from "The Competitive AR 15"  LINK saying that my prior post is wrong.
The further I read and the more sources I reference the more contradictory evidence I stack up.

I apologize for being wrong. Thank you for correcting me, limiting misinformation.

Let's Hang Him .........
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Is someone going to add a "Large Collar Firing Pin" to the mil-spec / not mil-spec table now?

Hang him?  I can tell from the mild response the mods have been busy enforcing again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-also-

Let's Hang Him .........

I  realize you're being humerus, but actually, I give him kudos.  I was going to make a very sarcastic response in my first post about have a clue what you're talking about when posting in a technical forum.  Since he was man enough to admit making a mistake, I think he just earned some respect here.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
While the military only uses M16 pins many aftermarket M16 BCGs use the AR15 pin.  BCM and Young for example.  Some other like CMT/Stag and Rock River use the M16 pin in there semi auto BCGs.  I use M16 pins since I do not own any unshrouded carriers any more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top