Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:09:28 AM EDT
Looking to purchase my first AR-15.  I was all set to buy the M&P when I found out about the M4.  Now I'm not sure.

They are fairly similar feature-wise.  How about overall quality?  Is one a definite stand-out?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the DD AR, only because its a more limited run rifle, and it comes with accessories!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the DD. It's also much easier to find. I know of a couple places that have them in stock right now. If your having trouble finding them

im or email me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
DD M4... hands down.  This is a no brainer...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would go with the DD AR, only because its a more limited run rifle, and it comes with accessories!

This is the first I have heard of this and I do not think it is correct.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]

The DDM4 is superior in these ways:

Upper and lower receiver build quality
4150 Bbl steel
M16 bolt carrier
H buffer
Excellent staking of castle nut and carrier key
DD rail is lighter, slimmer, higher quality than S&W Troy
lower parts kit is top shelf. I've personally seen DPMS LPKs in S&Ws
1/7 twist better for serious use - no biggie if plinker
MOE stock
4 coil extractor spring with Crane O ring
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

4150 Bbl steel
M16 bolt carrier
H buffer
MOE stock

you forgot the beveled and enlarged magwell....which is awesome!
I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a M & P 15 and love it but this was my first and I am a noob at these.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The M&P is a great rifle but I would chose the DD M4.  All the reasons stated above...
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey if you really want the best buy a LM&T AR.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
For what it's worth, I have the MP15T and am very pleased with it. I've put about 500 rounds thru it now without a problem. Troy rail and iron sights feel very sturdy, seems like they could take quite a bit of abuse.I'm an experienced shooter, but newly back into ARs after many years. The DDM4 seems to be the new hot gun everyone's talking about. From the talk on here, it is surely a nice piece. The way things are right now, I would think price and availability would probably be your biggest concerns. I think you'll be happy with either.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4150 Bbl steel
M16 bolt carrier
H buffer
MOE stock

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell if you have a DPMS lower parts kit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone know if the DDM4 comes witha commercial or milspec buffer tube?
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a DD M4 and also a M&P15X I prefer the DD M4 I bought the M&P first and before I had the chance to take it to the range bought the DD and I still have never shoot the M&P I am thinking  of selling it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a DD M4 and also a M&P15X I prefer the DD M4 I bought the M&P first and before I had the chance to take it to the range bought the DD and I still have never shoot the M&P I am thinking  of selling it.

Just curious. How do you know you "prefer" the DD if you haven't shot the M&P15X?
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious. How do you know you "prefer" the DD if you haven't shot the M&P15X?

I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a lot of Kool-Aid in this thread.  I have no opinion on the DD rifles other than not liking the way the rails or BUIS look.  I doubt that many people have any experience with these guns other than reading about them on this site.

The S&W rifles have been around, gone through some growing pains, and been T&E'd by EAG Training and multiple LE agencies.  

Several of my teammates recently purchased M&P rifles, a T, an X, and a standard.  All of them had properly staked BCGs and castle nuts and came with the black extractor and crane o-ring.  In fact the BCGs looked VERY similar to my LM&T BCG.  The S&W parts were put together right.  The only thing I don't like about the Smiths is the 1:9 twist, but that will not matter for the 99% of shooters who stick with 62 gr and below ammo.

I would like to see evidence of a S&W Factory gun that came with a DPMS LPK.  I have heard second hand (Smith will not say where they currently get their parts, just like most other companies) that CMT and LMT provide the small parts and receivers and that Thompson Center (owned by S&W) makes the barrels.  The weapons are then currently assembled in house at Smith.  I do not know this to be true, but this is what the Manager of the local S&W LE Distributor told me 2 weeks ago.  

I don't own a S&W, I prefer LMT and flavored Colt Kool-Aid, but I think that they are a good rifle that can be found at a great price for what you get.

Either are fine rifles, and today I would probably get whichever one I could put my hands on without getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I have both and like them both.  There is a lot less recoil with the M4 than the M&P 15.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Former S&W owner and current DD owner here; the latter is just a much better gun overall.

I own this specific rifle and I love it:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1283

The only complaint I had with the S&W is that mine was an early model, and did not like Magpul mags.

If you're in the DD price range however, you may want to consider a straight Colt LE 6920.  Less features than my DD M4, but Colts hold a better value in the pre-owned market.

http://sgcusa.com/Rifles-Colt/c85_95/p726/Colt-AR15-LE-6920-16%22-M4/product_info.html has Colts in stock.

Hope this helps,

Val
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's say the S&W can be had for $1300 in today's market. Is it then the preferred choice?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Let's say the S&W can be had for $1300 in today's market. Is it then the preferred choice?

Both are great rifles. If you can find one for that price then I would jump on it although I would still personally rather get one of the 6920s that are available for $1325 shipped right now......
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are great rifles. If you can find one for that price then I would jump on it although I would still personally rather get one of the 6920s that are available for $1325 shipped right now......

Where can I get a 6920 for $1350 shipped?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still had them in stock today.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=443836

and here's the link to their website (it says $1870 but they were selling them for $1325 shipped today and yesterday)

http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/index2.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still had them in stock today.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=443836

and here's the link to their website (it says $1870 but they were selling them for $1325 shipped today and yesterday)

http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/index2.html

Not anymore.

Besides, I already have a 6920.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top