• Posts 912
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Posted: 3/22/2009 6:33:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/30/2009 6:24:02 PM EST by Sabre223]
Here it is with pics ! Ta da

Un-cut tape! Well I had to do it.

Pretty late number.

Ah yes, those pins I made such a big deal over! Damm, I got .1535 pins. Show'em if you got'em (meant for a few select) Back at ya!

An "S" on the selector. New mark to me, but hey what do I know?

Look, rust on my bolt!

Auto cutout on a 6940 upper. Colt must have plans!

"C" stamping from hell. Must have used a forging press for this stamp. You know the forging company now!

No # "4" stamped on the barrel extension here. Must not be an M4 carbine. And would you look at the rust on that dust cover door.

And yes the barrel nut. Has access just like the Vltor for the use of any barrel. Limitations, what limitations?

A very interesting cutout on the rear lug?

Barrel date of 01/09.

A shimmed FSB from Colt.

Another angle with rust all over it. Who would buy these rusty guns?

All rise!

Check the forging mark?

Cross angle on the rail profile.

Another rusty part.

A different lube than I'm used to seeing on a Colt rifle. Looks like the break-in grease on a Glock. Its in the inside and openings only, must have been used on the A2 FH installation tool.

Forgot this one! The lower HG push button (the larger silver spot on the outside of the HG in slot B18) makes this key retract. Then you can slide the HG forward for removal. There is absolutely no play whatsoever on the HG to rail match up. And its rock solid.

Ok, the rollpinned dust cover question. Yes the holes go through, at least the rear one pictured below. The front one I'm sure is under the barrel extension. So you say you have to remove the barrel to replace the cover? Not so, remove the rear rollpin pin and lower the hinge pin, door is then off. Subject solved!

I weighed both the 6920 and the 6940 as pictured below.

The 6920 all stock with carry handle = 6lbs 12oz. The 6920 carry handle removed and replaced with ARMS 40L = 6lbs 5oz.
The 6940 with BUIS = 6lbs 10oz.
So the 6940 as a stock rifle is lighter than a stock 6920. Compared to the 6920 w/ARMS 40L the integrated rail adds 5oz.

Wow, add any rail to a 6920 and tell me what you get? LT 7.0 = 12oz / DD Omega 7.0 = 8oz.

So that about sums it up.

This is the finest Colt carbine package "I" have seen (yes of course thats not select fire, yada, yada, yada). I'll be waiting to clean the tomatos off my monitor for voicing my opinion.

Yes they could have done something with the barrel, extended the rail over a lp gas block and used a rail front sight (to add even more weight), etc. But for whats out now, its super nice. The extractor has the black insert, and a bronze colored extractor spring. The rail covers in the package are made by Falcon Industries / Ergo and have to be cut down to fit (they are 3 too long on the sides).

Enjoy your new quest!

Edit for comments.

Projektile, I heard about your gunshow 6920 dilema. The balance is awesome. Judging by hand it doesnt feel any heavier than a 6920. I'll weigh it later. Shoot it? I'm thinking, not sure. Im just gonna enjoy looking at those pins for a while. Price I cant disclose (got it from a dealer buddy, dont wanna create waves for him at the shop).

Basic
  • Joined Mar 2009
  • Posts 100
  • EE 100% (5)
AUS AUS
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:46:52 PM EST
Gotta say mate, thats one beaut of a rifle youve got yerself. Also, mucho pics=win Hows the balance on it? How much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking?) I'm personally looking to get a 6920 at the next show. No offense, but I prefer the modular-ness of the 6920(being able to add what rail/sights you prefer)

Range report forth-coming???

Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2008
  • Posts 6149
  • EE 100% (3)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:52:00 PM EST
Very good, detailed pics. Allows us to examine it so closely. I'm intrigued by the upper................interesting. All looks damn good.
كافر All the way. [Not Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile]
KJB
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Gold
  • Joined Jan 2004
  • Posts 1584
  • EE 100% (24)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:16:55 PM EST
Too bad the rail has no cutouts for KAC covers.
Obama hates you.
Team Member
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2002
  • Posts 3653
  • EE 100% (332)
USA HI, USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:37:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By KJB:
Too bad the rail has no cutouts for KAC covers.

Was just about to say that. I suppose you could fix that with a needle file.
...and how can man die better, than facing fearful odds; for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his gods?
SGT Steven Checo
OEF 21 DEC 02
Bronze
  • Joined Oct 2004
  • Posts 4300
  • EE 100% (283)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:14:19 PM EST
I'm actually pretty intrigued. Before, I was kinda like "meh" over the 6940. But, now having seen those pics, I'm impressed with it. Colt seems to have really done their homework on this thing. Someone post that picture of the albino gorilla for me.

Bronze
  • Joined May 2005
  • Posts 84
  • EE 100% (6)
USA HI, USA
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 9:09:07 PM EST
Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Peace Through Violence
AR-15 owner since 1971
Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2005
  • Posts 5228
  • EE 100% (1)
USA NV, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:33:35 AM EST
Great very detailed review, thanks.

This Colt model is great for all the Colt fans out there plus the latest changes makes the milspec features chart all checked for the Colt brand.

I hear a lot of Colt haters in shock, fainting and dropping on the floor.

YMMV

AR3
GIANTS 31 patriots 24
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2004
  • Posts 26852
  • EE 100% (347)
USA NY, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:56:38 AM EST
a new product from colt.

wow.

a new product from colt actually in a consumers' hands..

double wow.

I need to go back and eat some comments I made about colt.
There is but one truth in the world and it is all yours. If you are not sure of it stay at home; but if you are sure don't look back and it will be your way.

Honored to be a "Proud Member of Ranstad's Militia"
AR~AK Addict!
Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2005
  • Posts 2149
  • EE 100% (680)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:25:13 AM EST
sabre223 ~ Nice post, great pics! I can't wait until mine comes in, should be really soon. Small pins!
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. ~ One died for your soul, the other for your freedom." -Author: unknown

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2003
  • Posts 1799
  • EE 0% (0)
USA WA, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:47:10 AM EST
Nice!

It looks like one of the legs (the left one) of the hammer spring is under the trigger pin.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 3322
  • EE 100% (238)
USA KY, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:48:58 AM EST
Nice pics! Congrats!
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5019
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:46:02 AM EST
Man, how could you blow so much money on that piece of shit. I mean, that bolt looks like it's had a couple thousand rounds through it and there is rust on it!

Should have bought a DPMS.
Well just got some P-mags in that I ordered, and call me crazy but I believe the mags have a expiration date on them. It's a little round circle just below the notch were the mag's couple in the mag well. -wheatons83
Basic
  • Joined Apr 2005
  • Posts 185
  • EE 0% (0)
USA UT, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:03:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/23/2009 9:11:39 AM EST by GearHead_1]
O.K., I've got $50 that I'll give you for it, if that will help bail you out. Sure get the feeling from reading this thread that I've missed something.

I drank a case of beer, just to watch it die!
Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2001
  • Posts 769
  • EE 100% (32)
USA OR, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:22:07 AM EST
Great job on the pics. It looks like you covered everything, including those gosh darn pins!

Congrats on the gun and I hope there are no hard feelings over some of the shit I flung at ya!
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." -George S. Patton
Basic
  • Joined Oct 2005
  • Posts 1577
  • EE 100% (1)
USA NV, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:06:54 AM EST
Thanks for taking your time out of your life and taking pics to show us. Awesome weapons you have there. It would make the hoes panties wet. lol

كافر
Lifetime Member
  • Joined Jan 2003
  • Posts 6662
  • EE 100% (79)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:08:29 AM EST
Just a friendly suggestion...

If you're going to bother to blank out the S/N, then you shouldn't post the BARCODE.

Basic
  • Joined Mar 2006
  • Posts 529
  • EE 100% (1)
USA MN, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:35:40 AM EST
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly? On LMTs MRP you can get the roll pins knocked out. Very nice MRP by Colt. Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2001
  • Posts 772
  • EE 100% (32)
USA OR, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:40:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By glockkaboom:
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly? On LMTs MRP you can get the roll pins knocked out. Very nice MRP by Colt. Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." -George S. Patton
Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5028
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:41:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By Predator:

+
Well just got some P-mags in that I ordered, and call me crazy but I believe the mags have a expiration date on them. It's a little round circle just below the notch were the mag's couple in the mag well. -wheatons83
Basic
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 4124
  • EE 100% (16)
ITA ITA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:49:29 AM EST
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly?

I dont know the answer to this but everything that has been mounted can be removed somehow, dont you think?

Originally Posted By glockkaboom:Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

could you elaborate please? I'll never handle both the 6940 and the MRP but I'd like to understand anyway...

btw, talking about the MRP...the first thing that comes to mind are those proprietary barrels...

Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5031
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:07:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Frens:
I would say you are boned if the dust cover spring ever breaks. Looks like the roll pins go into a blind hole. How do you drive them out to remove the cover assembly?

I dont know the answer to this but everything that has been mounted can be removed somehow, dont you think?

Originally Posted By glockkaboom:Sorry but Lewis Machine & Tool's MRP CQB is far superior to Colt's offering.

could you elaborate please? I'll never handle both the 6940 and the MRP but I'd like to understand anyway...

btw, talking about the MRP...the first thing that comes to mind are those proprietary barrels...

And the Dago comes in with the logic to own the troll. Bravo man!

P.S. My last name ends with an "i."
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 913
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:37:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/23/2009 11:38:00 AM EST by Sabre223]

Your rollpin question is answered and pictured above.

A wild idea I thought of inspecting this upper. Remove the Colt barrel. Install any 12-14.5" barrel with a lp gas block, and add any rail mounted front sight. Wow, does away with the flip sight gas block issue. Heck I'll take my 6921 barrel off and put it on this 6940 (pinned SDI extended of course). Sort of making my own 6941. oooooh, ahhhhh.

Understand, this rifle isnt stopping me from owning an LMT MRP gas piston rifle. Heck maybe 2 for that matter?

Basic
  • Joined Jul 2006
  • Posts 294
  • EE 0% (0)
USA MI, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:58:00 AM EST
Sounds like your very happy about your buy. Great buy bud.

Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2001
  • Posts 773
  • EE 100% (32)
USA OR, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:18:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sabre223:

Your rollpin question is answered and pictured above.

A wild idea I thought of inspecting this upper. Remove the Colt barrel. Install any 12-14.5" barrel with a lp gas block, and add any rail mounted front sight. Wow, does away with the flip sight gas block issue. Heck I'll take my 6921 barrel off and put it on this 6940 (pinned SDI extended of course). Sort of making my own 6941. oooooh, ahhhhh.

Understand, this rifle isnt stopping me from owning an LMT MRP gas piston rifle. Heck maybe 2 for that matter?

I love how he went through the picutres and tried to find ANYTHING that he could complain about and all he came up with was "roll pins go into a blind hole".

LOL!
Creature under the bed
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2008
  • Posts 3016
  • EE 100% (25)
USA KY, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:42:23 PM EST
nice gun sabre. I am glad you can sleep at night now
Picking up a Colt 1911 is like shaking hands with an old friend

Thanks to Peepshowal!!!

"only fear and lack of skill drives men to want bigger calibers." -stormwalker
Bronze
  • Joined Feb 2003
  • Posts 12027
  • EE 100% (9)
USA WI, USA
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 5:37:59 PM EST
Nice pics and carbeen
Jesus came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. - My Pastor
Bronze
  • Joined Dec 2004
  • Posts 172
  • EE 100% (1)
USA MD, USA
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:56:15 AM EST
Nice writeup !

Basic
  • Joined Dec 2008
  • Posts 183
  • EE 100% (12)
USA OH, USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:03:19 AM EST
Gotta admit, I am no Colt fan but this looks like a very nice piece of kit. Milspec lower pins and parts, Colt quality control, and a very nice integral rail. I still think price is astronomical but compared to other Colts it is not out of line. I'll stick to building my own piece by piece but for a complete rifle this thing is definitely in rarefied air. Thanks for the write up and the excellent pics. Enjoy you shiny new rifle.

VPOCS
Gold
  • Joined Jan 2008
  • Posts 6132
  • EE 100% (259)
USA MD, USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:44:50 AM EST
Vey nice - I love gun pics. Thanks. Have been thinking about a Colt.
Beware The Panopticon
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 925
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:55:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/26/2009 9:01:02 AM EST by Sabre223]
The front sight gas block obviously has a spring in it, and 4 ball bearings.

The rollstamped marks are exactly like the current 6920.

The accessory pack has 2 20rd mags, sling, cleaning rods, bore brush, chamber brush, QD sling swivel, and 3 rail covers.

Comparison with the 6920.

Basic
  • Joined Jan 2009
  • Posts 126
  • EE 100% (5)
USA MD, USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:22:47 PM EST
I think a good comparison would be a 6940 against a 6920 with DD Omega 7.0 or similar free float rails without lights, VFG or rail covers and a only a BUIS mounted on the flat top.

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 926
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:49:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By jmorrell:
I think a good comparison would be a 6940 against a 6920 with DD Omega 7.0 or similar free float rails without lights, VFG or rail covers and a only a BUIS mounted on the flat top.

Well since I dont own a DD Omega, I did go to the website and look up the weight to compare. I do beleive the DD Omega is the lightest of all that is true free float mounting. The weights are noted in my original pics on page 1 (last pic). The 6940 would still be lighter, and its one piece. Theres nothing to move, shift, or loosen.

NRA Life Member
Bronze
  • Joined Jul 2006
  • Posts 3008
  • EE 100% (4)
USA PA, USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:58:42 PM EST
Nice thorough write-up with great pics, Sabre.

Fine addition by Colt

"Grief is a hone to a hard mind." --J.R.R. Tolkein

'You had better get your horns sheathed in metal, Ram.'-
Spartan King Cleomenes to Regent Crius of Aegina
Sleeper Cell Member
Bronze
  • Joined Oct 2004
  • Posts 1236
  • EE 100% (7)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:20:23 PM EST
Very Nice!....This does it. Another Pony is on the "gots to have" list.
THE BEST ARGUMENT AGAINST DEMOCRACY I'VE EVER SEEN IS A 5 MINUTE CONVERSATION WITH THE AVERAGE BARACK OBAMA SUPPORTER.

Basic
  • Joined Mar 2005
  • Posts 1892
  • EE 100% (5)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:30:30 PM EST
Nice. Striking resemblance to my VIS, but hey, they're doing the same thing, so hard to avoid that. I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 931
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By boltcatch:
Nice. Striking resemblance to my VIS, but hey, they're doing the same thing, so hard to avoid that. I wouldn't mind owning one of those.

School me on the VIS? Isnt it actually 2 pieces put together? I thought the upper receiver and the HG where 2 pieces that were sort of welded or brazed together?

Not machined from one block.

I may be wrong about that. I thought that was what I read here. I wouldnt mind using a VIS for a billet lower build.

Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 874
  • EE 100% (11)
USA CO, USA
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:01:54 PM EST

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 932
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 3:59:38 PM EST
Calling any 6940 owners?

Bronze
  • Joined Nov 2008
  • Posts 895
  • EE 100% (11)
USA CO, USA
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:13:05 PM EST
Calling any 6940 owners?

I don't think there is many of us out there right now.....

Gold
  • Joined Nov 2000
  • Posts 3697
  • EE 100% (134)
USA LA, USA
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:33:49 PM EST
Great job and thanks for the work.

Bill
Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968
Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5381
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:34:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jeep297:
Calling any 6940 owners?

I don't think there is many of us out there right now.....

No, but I still hate every one of you.
Basic
  • Joined Jan 2009
  • Posts 58
  • EE 100% (2)
USA TX, USA
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:49:36 PM EST
I just put mine on order today. It may be a while before I can post any pics.

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 941
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 3:48:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/31/2009 3:49:05 PM EST by Sabre223]
The manual and a few other items came today !

Small poster. About 1.5 x 2 ft

Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5400
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:14:29 PM EST
Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 942
  • EE 100% (53)
USA USA
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:26:25 PM EST
Like that do ya ? !

I called Colt to get a manual, that did not come in the box. The poster was just a bonus.

I was informed they were at the shot show (a shot show special), and they were only made for the shot show.

Seems the picture in the Fidelis Firearms GD auctions was the poster (must have picked one up) and was not included? Along with the letter posted in the auction? Pics 9, 10, & 11.

I thought it was reading material (the letter) with the manual, and only an 8.5 x 11" schematic.

WRONG!

Barry Goldwater '08
Bronze
  • Joined Mar 2003
  • Posts 5402
  • EE 100% (59)
USA FL, USA
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:32:49 PM EST
Goddammit, I was at the SHOT Show, too.
Team Member
Bronze
  • Joined Jul 2006
  • Posts 2170
  • EE 100% (1)
USA KY, USA
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:56:28 PM EST
Nice rifle. Great info and pics. Thanks a lot.

Basic
  • Joined Dec 2008
  • Posts 306
  • EE 100% (18)
USA IN, USA
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 3:13:17 AM EST
Tres cool. I gotta admit, I don;t feel the need to run out an replace my 6920, but if'n I was in the market for a new gun, that'd be at the top of my list (assuming the insane prices come down).

Basic
  • Joined Dec 2006
  • Posts 1
  • EE 0% (0)
USA MD, USA
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 7:32:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/1/2009 7:33:43 AM EST by kdet4816]
Sabre223 you are Da BOMB. That is an incredible carbine

Basic
  • Joined Sep 2004
  • Posts 957
  • EE 100% (53)