BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2009 11:58:48 AM EDT
And why would you want to "forward assist" a round that didn't chamber in the first place?  Please educate me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Aw, crap, I posted in the wrong forum.  Sorry, newbie mistake.  MOD, how can I move a post?
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never used mine, and wonder the same as you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Every time the bolt closes I give it a rap, just habit, how I learned.  It is supposed to seat a bullet if for some reason it did not happen....at least that is what we were told.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have never used mine, and wonder the same as you.

+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
yes

gun needed cleaning

shooting umc or something cheap

and low powered

bolt didn't close all the way a couple times
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
i used it once. Rifle was a little dry and i noted right away the bolt did not go into battery all the way. Tap tap and good to go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that last time I hit mine was in basic training being tested on SPORTS lol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I  always hit it before the rapid fire portion of the Marine Corps table 1.  Just an OCD I guess, I don't want to lose points for some stupid reason.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used it when trying to quietly chamber a round when I was hunting with an AR; other than that I just either release the CH or hit the mag release and have never had to use it to force a round home. I generally hold to the notion that if you have to use the FA to chamber a round, that round doesn't need to be chambered.

edit: And when I use it while hunting, after the bolt is closed I usually retract it partially to make sure the extractor really has grabbed the case; then I'll ease it forward again, using the FA again to close it, knowing that time that the round is seated in the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, used it everytime I went down range in the two years I lived in Kabul.  SOP was to press check our M9s and M4s before we mounted up.  Use the forward assist to ensure the bolt on your M4 is home after the press check.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I use it to seat/lock the bolt after a press-check.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It's there so you can make the weapon fire when you need it in battle.  It is a life or death thing.  No time to slap, tap and rack in a new round when people are shooting at you.  You cram it in there anyway and make it fire when you are climbing around in the dirt or sand and the conditions aren't ideal for your weapons functioning.  Thats what the forward assist is for.  Other than that, it doesn't really need to be there.  But, I have used mine a few times on my new build while it was still breaking in and was a little picky chambering.  Now it's broken in and don't have that issue anymore.

Mutt
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I tap mine after every mag change out of habit.

The forward assist is also handy when trying to chamber a round quietly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's there so you can make the weapon fire when you need it in battle.  It is a life or death thing.  No time to slap, tap and rack in a new round when people are shooting at you.  You cram it in there anyway and make it fire when you are climbing around in the dirt or sand and the conditions aren't ideal for your weapons functioning.  Thats what the forward assist is for.  Other than that, it doesn't really need to be there.  But, I have used mine a few times on my new build while it was still breaking in and was a little picky chambering.  Now it's broken in and don't have that issue anymore.

Mutt

Ughh, no.  Transition or immediate/remedial action depending on time/space to the threat would be the correct response.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This, otherwise no.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it is supposed to be part of the normal operational procedures for firing or for beginning the firing function after chambering a round.
If my life depended on my rifle, I would do it everytime I chambered a round out of a full magazine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks, everyone!  I consider myself educated, now.... but could someone enlighten me as to what a "press-check" is?  (Never been in the military, as if you couldn't tell.  Got close 20 years ago, but got side-tracked by a distraction that involved lots of young women in bikinis.... long story).

Oh, and thanks MOD for moving this from  Maintenance and Cleaning where I accidentally first posted this because I wasn't paying attention.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This, or if I chamber without letting the bolt fly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#19]
It's useful to ensure that the bolt is seated after loading, especially if you ride the bolt home trying to be quiet, or after doing a press check to ensure the bolt is fully seated.  By habit I usually give it a little press after any loading or bolt manipulation.

It's not useful for malfunction clearing and will do more harm than good in that case.

Quoted:
could someone enlighten me as to what a "press-check" is?

Pulling the bolt back partially to ensure that a round is in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks, everyone!  I consider myself educated, now.... but could someone enlighten me as to what a "press-check" is?  (Never been in the military, as if you couldn't tell.  Got close 20 years ago, but got side-tracked by a distraction that involved lots of young women in bikinis.... long story).

Oh, and thanks MOD for moving this from  Maintenance and Cleaning where I accidentally first posted this because I wasn't paying attention.

A verification that a round has indeed been chambered when you charged the weapon.  The name comes from pressing the slide of a pistol or bolt of a rifle slightly to the rear so you can visually or by feel check the chamber for a chambered round.  There's an alternate method with weapons using double stack magazines based on feeling which side of the magazine the high round is on before and after charging the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A "press check" is when you pull back the charging handle (or slide in the case of a handgun) just far enough to visually confirm that a round is chambered and correctly seated under the extractor.

After reading this thread I realized that that's the one and only time I really use a forward assist. In an older, worn-in and clean gun, it's not usually necessary, but it does lend peace of mind.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A verification that a round has indeed been chambered when you charged the weapon.  The name comes from pressing the slide of a pistol or bolt of a rifle slightly to the rear so you can visually or by feel check the chamber for a chambered round.  There's an alternate method with weapons using double stack magazines based on feeling which side of the magazine the high round is on before and after charging the weapon.

Thanks, SSerico.  I do that with my carry pistol every time I go out.  Just didn't know there was a name for the procedure.  On that last part about the double-stack magazines, how does one check this by feel?

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I lightly push it sometimes to be sure is locked.... I hope no one screams at me for this...
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
yes
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Ater a press check.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Also, a can will allow enough carbon back in the chamber eventually where you may have to use it to fully seat a round.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#29]
oops, sorry, double tap
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's useful to ensure that the bolt is seated after loading, especially if you ride the bolt home trying to be quiet, or after doing a press check to ensure the bolt is fully seated.  By habit I usually give it a little press after any loading or bolt manipulation.

This.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]
No, never.

See that little dimple on the side of the bolt carrier that is visible through the ejection port?
It's there so that you can use your finger to push the bolt forward if the bolt has not completely seated after checking the chamber (what a lot of posters are referring to as "press checks")

If you can't push the bolt forward with your finger, then there might be something blocking the bolt (a primer, some junk, etc). Eject the round and check your rifle.
Forcing the bolt closed with the forward assist in the above situation can lead to a dangerous over-pressurization and kB.

Yes, I know the Army teaches to hit the FA after releasing the charging handle.
No, it's not the right way to use the rifle.
Stoner's original design did not have a forward assist....for a good reason.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No, never.

See that little dimple on the side of the bolt carrier that is visible through the ejection port?
It's there so that you can use your finger to push the bolt forward if the bolt has not completely seated after checking the chamber (what a lot of posters are referring to as "press checks")

If you can't push the bolt forward with your finger, then there might be something blocking the bolt (a primer, some junk, etc). Eject the round and check your rifle.
Forcing the bolt closed with the forward assist in the above situation can lead to a dangerous over-pressurization and kB.

Umm, what if the carrier is hot there high speed?

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every time the bolt closes I give it a rap, just habit, how I learned.  It is supposed to seat a bullet if for some reason it did not happen....at least that is what we were told.

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, never.

Umm, what if the carrier is hot there high speed?

Well, it is the reason the Air Force purchased 604s and the Army purchased 603s, the AF thought the way he did.

But now we can cue the jokes about the AF never actually using their rifles, so they wouldn't realize the carrier gets hot during use, especially during a firefight.

P.S. at the "high speed."
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's there so that you can use your finger to push the bolt forward if the bolt has not completely seated after checking the chamber

That's weird, I thought that dimple was there so you can close the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#36]
another vote for yes.

they can come in handy when you'd least expect it. never had to bank my life on it, but have realized why it's not such a bad feature.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I used one once...

In Mogadishu Somalia, Africa.

Won't own an AR15 without one.

USMC 1985 - 1996

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I replaced mine with a plastic plug.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mutt

Ughh, no.  Transition or immediate/remedial action depending on time/space to the threat would be the correct response.

Uughh NO......Actually, I'd say I was pretty dead on.  He didn't ask what tactical actions I should take prior to using my forward assist.  He asked what it was for.  It is for jamming the bullet in the whole when it doesn't go in on it's own.  It's to make the weapon go boom when it doesn't feel like doing it on it's own.  And, since the weapon was designed for the military originally, and the forward assist was later added to prevent the rifle from failing to fire by pushing the round into the chamber because dirty/grimy weapons were hanging up and not chambering rounds in combat situation, I would say that the response I posted was fairly accurate.  I would bow to your superior tactical knowledge if what he had asked was "what do I do in a tactical situation when my rifle doesn't fire in the time it takes me to use my forward assist"  but thats not what he asked.  He asked "why would you want to forward assist a round?".  I thought my answer was fairly straight forward.  It jams the bullet in the hole when you really really need to in there.  He also asked if anyone had used one.  I told him I had used mine when breaking in my rifle.  I didn't mention that I used to push mine every day just as a feel good in the feild to make sure my bolt was home.  I also didn't tell him the difference between cover and concealment because he didn't ask that either.  So, if you are content with my rebutle, get off my back.  I'm not in a good mood today and your knowledge of something unrelated does nothing towards giving me a tactical hard on.  But I figured I didn't need to go too deep into it, I tried to Keep It Simple.

I don't want people on here to get the idea that I think I am a know it all.  So, I took this snipit from the history of the M16:

"During the vietnam war, when the weapon got dirty the bolt wouldn't always lock shut. Since the bolt is fully enclosed there was no way to shove it forward like you can in an M1 or M14. In combat you don't always have time to disassemble the weapon and clean it, and you may need that one quick shot.

So they added the forward assist to the M16A1. It has a pawl that engages notches cut into the right side of the bolt, and shoves it forward when you hit it.
"
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I used mine in country.

Rifle mainspring was getting weak, I was using magazines with 30 rounds loaded. Their was enough pressure on the 30th round to slow the bolt down to the point it wouldn't close.

Slapped a fresh mag in, slapped the side and it didn't close all the way. Tapped the forward assist to finish closing the chamber and emptied the magazine. Put in fresh mag and repeated the process. Did this with every mag I had and all failed to load the first round.
Once the mainspring was replaced it was no longer an issue.

This is one of the reasons they teach you to only load 28rds in a magazine, the other is it's easier to insert on a closed bolt with just 28 rounds in the mag.

ETA: all of this was in training on a M16A4
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I've used it a few times after checking to see if a round was chambered.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mutt

Uughh NO......Actually, I'd say I was pretty dead on.  He didn't ask what tactical actions I should take prior to using my forward assist.  He asked what it was for.  It is for jamming the bullet in the whole when it doesn't go in on it's own.  It's to make the weapon go boom when it doesn't feel like doing it on it's own.  And, since the weapon was designed for the military originally, and the forward assist was later added to prevent the rifle from failing to fire by pushing the round into the chamber because dirty/grimy weapons were hanging up and not chambering rounds in combat situation, I would say that the response I posted was fairly accurate.  I would bow to your superior tactical knowledge if what he had asked was "what do I do in a tactical situation when my rifle doesn't fire in the time it takes me to use my forward assist"  but thats not what he asked.  He asked "why would you want to forward assist a round?".  I thought my answer was fairly straight forward.  It jams the bullet in the hole when you really really need to in there.  He also asked if anyone had used one.  I told him I had used mine when breaking in my rifle.  I didn't mention that I used to push mine every day just as a feel good in the feild to make sure my bolt was home.  I also didn't tell him the difference between cover and concealment because he didn't ask that either.  So, if you are content with my rebutle, get off my back.  I'm not in a good mood today and your knowledge of something unrelated does nothing towards giving me a tactical hard on.  But I figured I didn't need to go too deep into it, I tried to Keep It Simple.

I don't want people on here to get the idea that I think I am a know it all.  So, I took this snipit from the history of the M16:

"During the vietnam war, when the weapon got dirty the bolt wouldn't always lock shut. Since the bolt is fully enclosed there was no way to shove it forward like you can in an M1 or M14. In combat you don't always have time to disassemble the weapon and clean it, and you may need that one quick shot.

So they added the forward assist to the M16A1. It has a pawl that engages notches cut into the right side of the bolt, and shoves it forward when you hit it.
"

You're right; according to doctrine and TTPs that have since been abandoned as ineffective and potentially dangerous, the reasons you list above are why the forward assist was added to the M16 by armchair ordnance officers.

Hope your day got better.  Remember, tomorrow's a whole new one.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Old M16A2s need them. Not everybody has a beautiful AR15 that is lucky if it sees more than 200 rounds per monthly range trip.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I use it all the time.
chamber quietly
after press check
dirty/dry gun
just in case
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, I've used it a few times.  When the internals get dirty from lots of firing and you don't have the time to clean it on the range, during exercise, or in battle, the Forward Assist certainly helps to make sure that it's seated well in the chamber.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
"forward assist"?

OH!  You mean the "Jam it HARDER" button!

Most problems that the forward assist is supposed to solve, are better solved with the charging handle .
The rest of the problems are better solved by other means - NOT the "Jam It Harder Button".

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No, never.

You forgat the sarcams...unless you are being serious Then i suggest you put down the AR and pick up and AK
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#48]
yes
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Used it once to seat a round after a POS Magazine would not load them properly. I like having the Forward assist just in case of emergency.
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And why would you want to "forward assist" a round that didn't chamber in the first place?  Please educate me.

I think it was installed to bring the rifle into battery if fouling or dirt preventing the bolt from closing entirely.  The only time I ever used mine was once when the rifle was new and not broke in real good.  Haven't had occasion to use it since.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top