Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2009 8:37:53 AM EDT
Hi Guys, Thanks in advance for the help. Brand new to the Black Rifles & have been doing allot of homework & I am ready for my first purchase. I am truly torn between two rifles that my local guy has in stock.

One is the Rock River Arms Tactical CAR A4 and the other is a Smith & Wesson M&P15.  Money not being a factor (the S&W is a little bit more) which would you choose?

In general, which is considered to be the better brand? I know it ends up being a personal preference, but which do you like better? Resale value? I know both are very good high end AR's, just need to make a choice this weekend & was hoping for some opinions.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both, like both, smith may use better parts. I would still go with rra as my 5.45 smith has had several issues, keyholing being one of the issues.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have both, like both, smith may use better parts. I would still go with rra as my 5.45 smith has had several issues, keyholing being one of the issues.

cptx123,

Thank you for the responce. I handled both last night at the store, both seem really solid. I just feel the RRA is the more popular choice which I would assume would keep a higher resale value. It's so hard to choose your 1st one!

Anyone else? please!
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't say RRA is more "popular" around here anyway. Since Pat Rogers made good mention of the S&Ws, you'll not get much negative info and they garnering a pretty good following.
Given that, don't let resale be the sole factor of your purchase. What is your primary use of the weapon? Which one catches your fancy? Neither is junk and both have a good track record.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
S&W, but I'm bias.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I own 2 Smith & Wesson AR's.  Both have been FLAWLESS from day one.  Tight and accurate and no issues.  I have been very impressed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm an RRA fan, but not for any particular reason other than that is what I have.  I agree with the above post, don't choose based on resale value.  Too many unknown factors.

Did you check the barrel specs?  If the RRA is standard, it's probably not chrome lined which may be the reason the S&W is slightly higher.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an RRA Tac Entry in October and am still in love.  No experience with the S&W.  I've put 1K rounds through it without a burp.  You are in a tough spot - both are very good choices.  Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a RRA lower, best if you can get 2 stage trigger, then look for either BCM or LMT upper
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm an RRA fan, but not for any particular reason other than that is what I have.  I agree with the above post, don't choose based on resale value.  Too many unknown factors.

Did you check the barrel specs?  If the RRA is standard, it's probably not chrome lined which may be the reason the S&W is slightly higher.

Thanks for the responces guys. The Barrel on the RRA is Chrome Moly. The S&W is more because it already has the Troy Handguards already installed. Which is not an issue because I want the DD Omega rails anyways.

The other thing I like that is making me lean towards the RRA is the 2 stage trigger it has. Another thing I like is that I would assume that RRA is going to be allot easier to deal with and contact  for parts & upgrades & any mechanical issues.  Sounds like I cant loose with either gun, wish I could afford both!
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
M&P15 owner with not 1 issue
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
just bought my first AR and it was the S&W M&P...

Happier than pig in sh*t
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#13]
man in the old days there would be no question !!

but nowadays  who knows?

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Buy Both.

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy Both.

Man, trust me I would if I could! I dont know how you guys do it. I haven't even bought one yet & I am already hooked!!!!!  I known I cant go wrong with either one, I just want to buy the best one being my 1st "Black Rifle". So thank you to everyone that is giving out your opinions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy Both.

Man, trust me I would if I could! I dont know how you guys do it. I haven't even bought one yet & I am already hooked!!!!!  I known I cant go wrong with either one, I just want to buy the best one being my 1st "Black Rifle". So thank you to everyone that is giving out your opinions.

Remember, I never said simultaneously.

Just get the one you think will come in the quickest. Therefore I'll go with S&W, unless you said you're getting them locally.

eta: Yeah, get the S&W.

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with the S&W for the chrome-lined barrel. RRA offers it as an option, but you said the one in stock is only chrome moly.

BTW, the reported "keyholing" from S&W M&P-15R owners is usually attributed to the use of 70gr bullets, when the rifle twist rate is designed for the 53gr surplus ammo.

You're looking at 5.56 rifles, so that complaint is not relevant.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the responces guys. The Barrel on the RRA is Chrome Moly. The S&W is more because it already has the Troy Handguards already installed. Which is not an issue because I want the DD Omega rails anyways.

The other thing I like that is making me lean towards the RRA is the 2 stage trigger it has. Another thing I like is that I would assume that RRA is going to be allot easier to deal with and contact  for parts & upgrades & any mechanical issues.  Sounds like I cant loose with either gun, wish I could afford both!

Both are good guns but if the RRA has a chrome moly barrel then I would go with the Smith for sure. It also seems like you're talking about the S&W tactical model since you mentioned Troy rails

which makes the S&W an even better choice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned several RRA ARs and I've never had a problem ... But from everything I've seem the S&Ws are a quality product ...

Hard to go wrong either way ...
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Does the S&W use all spec parts? In other words, can I build unto the S&W like I could with RRA or does it use proprietary parts? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does the S&W use all spec parts? In other words, can I build unto the S&W like I could with RRA or does it use proprietary parts? Thanks again.

All standard parts.
I don't own either but I would go with the S&W.
I've heard they are higher quality.
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd go with the S&W for the chrome-lined barrel. RRA offers it as an option, but you said the one in stock is only chrome moly.

BTW, the reported "keyholing" from S&W M&P-15R owners is usually attributed to the use of 70gr bullets, when the rifle twist rate is designed for the 53gr surplus ammo.

You're looking at 5.56 rifles, so that complaint is not relevant.

Actually mine keyholes 60 grain every round, and 53 grain every 30 to 40 rounds, and 70 not so much. Also the falshider was improperly indexed and came loose, also FSB pins were not all the way in. But that being said I would get the rifle with the chrome bore first.

Link Posted: 2/27/2009 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I went through the same exact prob. when the S&W first came out... I know this is retarded but I really liked the roll mark!!!! Anyway I ended going with the RRA because I had heard sooo much about their Lifetime warranty. My RRA came w/ Chrome lined bbl and it has operated outstanding. Tough decision being that the s.w has rails that you dont want and would add to the overall price.......... VERY TOUGH CHOICE...
Link Posted: 2/27/2009 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Funny you ask since I have both. S&W all the way.

They are about the same in terms of utility. The S&W will cost more but is a better finished product. It's also more milspec than RRA.

Take at look at the pictures I took of the collapsible stock.

S&W(Nice & Smooth Finish):

Outside

Inside

Top View

RRA(Very Rough Finish):

Outside

Inside

Top View

That's just the Stock that came with the Rifles. I replaced them so this is just to illustrated a point if you are going to be picky. The S&W cost more but you get what you paid for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the opinions, it still didn't make up my mind, but thanks!!!  

I am going today to my local shop that has the two in stock & making a final choice today, I will let you guys know the end result!

Thanks again & cant wait to be part of the "club".
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I vote for the Smith, but I'm biased as well. Love my M&P 15T!

Link Posted: 2/28/2009 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Read this comparison chart.  I would go with the smith.  I also have one in my collection and it has been flawless.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&hl=en
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top