Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2009 8:29:20 PM EDT
Just FYI... Norinco's new M4(gery)... Serious Fugly for sure... and only available here in Canada (for better or for worse)

The images below are on a Canadian dealers web site, and while it doesn't look new, it is... don't know about the fit, but the finish looks nasty...!

I haven't shot one, nor do I know anyone who has... but their A1 copies (while also Fugly) have a pretty good reputation as decent shooters.

I won't be buying one as my Colt and Armalite would probably jump out of the safe a run away... but the Norincos are bound to be popular up here with the budget conscious crowd...

CHINESE CQ 5.56 M4/C8 Style Semi Automatic Carbines
5.56 Nato / .223 Rem
14.5" Chromed, Stepped Barrel with Bayonet Lug and Flash Hider
1/9 Twist
6 Position Telescoping Stock
Removable Carry Handle with A2 Sights
Ambidextrous Safety / Magazine Release
2 Magazines / Sling / Cleaning Kit / Manual
1 Year Limited Warranty

Introductory Price $899.00 Canadian (~$800.00 US)

ETA: New pics on page 3...
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like Vulcan has some competition.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Let be the first.

Looks like its been thrown down a drieway then retouched with shoe polish.

With that said Norincos have had a decent following on their M1A's and their 1911's. Don't know why they'd depart from what has worked for them in the past. Had a AKM that was a Norinco and it was a very nicely produced rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, these guys will copy anything, huh?
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love one of their lowers simply because they are unobtainium.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like someone painted the rifle with testors model paint shortly after they coated in in CLP
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
...waiting for $2600 lower on EE
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The dealer describes the finish thusly, and I quote...

Note: Firearm is hard anodized and parkerized; however, painted finish is not as durable as on North American produced AR15's. Painted finish will wear with use. Therefore, firearm is warrantied for mechanical function, but not for defects or wear to the exterior finish.

From those who have handled them, the feeling is that the paint is something like Tremclad (like you'd use on your BBQ)

I have a Norinco Remington 870 copy (rip off) and it's fit / finish / function are awesome, as is the case with my Norc SKS type 56... I also have a Norinco commander length 1911 which is a decent shooter as well but the fit and finish aren't that good...
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
$800 dollars and it is poorly painted in addition to being from China?    No thanks.  This is the only time I will ever say this.  I'd rather have a Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.

I guess I would take one as a wall hanger for conversation's sake, but it would have to be a lot cheaper than $800 dollars.  That's moving in on Stag and DPMS pre-Obama normal price range.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now accepting orders...!!!  

Truth is (as you know) they'd never get across the line...

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Handguards look nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow.

While they look like shit, i'd love to see how they perform.  Let's call Smalls Arms Review and have em fly up and dump 1,000 rounds like they did with the POF.

How is the accuracy?  let's have a gander at the BCG!
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Norinco has a lot of experience making small arms, in metallurgy, and machine work.  Their M14 copies have some pretty good forged parts, and their chrome lined barrels are pretty good.  The Norinco 1911A1 has a good reputation.  Heck, half the laptops used in this country are made in China.  There is no reason why the Chinese could not make a quality AR15/M4.  And if the market is there, I am sure they will.  We would be buying Norinco 1911A1s for $350 if they could be imported.  Less than RIA's anyway.  Not that I would buy one.  I looked for ages to find a microwave that was not made in China.  But there is no doubt in my mind that they can do a good job on firearms.  

I remember when Browning rifles and shotguns started being made in Japan rather than Belgium.  People talked about how the quality would go down.  In fact, it went up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks....rough..
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see it perform, why not?
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Meh, I'd get one for a "truck gun". Oh, and the previously mentioned unobtanium aspect of it.

The ChiComs, for all their faults, make decent weapons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I would buy one for $300, seems like a good canidate for a refinish in some spray on/bake on gun coating
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...

Well, if one *happened* to get across whoever would put it on the EE or other board would be an idiot as it would attract a LOT of unwanted attention.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#20]
i would never buy a foreign made ar-15.  its like buying an african built ak(i know there is no such thing... just saying...)
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

man you beat me to that ZING

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish they would let the chicoms sell ammo here again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I was thinking, "it doesn't look too bad", until I got down to the last pictures. That's impressive. It makes the Century ARs I've seen look like works of art.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#25]
That's the Rat Rod of rifles...................
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#26]
That from Marstar or some other outfit?  I am in need of an AR, and damned if having kids hasn't limited my discretionary funds a fair bit
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
if it has proper anodizing I could care less if the paint rubs off, they probably did it just to get a uniform color.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
if it has proper anodizing I could care less if the paint rubs off, they probebly did it just to get a uniform color.

Shit, I'd get it Duracoated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Unfamiliar with Canadian taxes. Do they have a honking big import tax or something?

I would think a ChiCom knock off should be at most 50% the price of the real deal, not 90%.

*Shrug*

Sad fact is bro, that is 50% of a "real" one up here... LE6920's used are selling for almost $3K... we're all just as pleased about the Obamanation as you dudes are... and the DOS has stopped the export of anything chambered in military calibers, so all we're getting up here are .223 chambered rifles and the occasional Wilde RRA... And Bushmaster's new owners just dissed (no pun intended) their Canadian distributors so no more of those up here at all... but that's ok, we have Norincos...

The other 5.56 option is from a UK company called Imperial Defense... and their shit doesn't look a whole lot better than the Norc stuff. In fact, there's much discussion about the Imperial Defense stuff possibly being made in China... but they sell for $1,699.00 Canadian... here again,
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That from Marstar or some other outfit?  I am in need of an AR, and damned if having kids hasn't limited my discretionary funds a fair bit

No man... Lever Arms... talk is Marstar will have them eventually and perhaps at a slightly lower price, but that's just talk at this point.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Id buy one of those before a hesse..I have a polytech M14 and a couple 1911s from norinco.For 15 years they have eaten anything fed to them and have been completely reliable.Its nice that barrel legnth in Canada means nothing so you dont need a permanent flash hider for the sake of barrel legnth.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfamiliar with Canadian taxes. Do they have a honking big import tax or something?

I would think a ChiCom knock off should be at most 50% the price of the real deal, not 90%.

*Shrug*

Sad fact is bro, that is 50% of a "real" one up here... LE6920's used are selling for almost $3K... we're all just as pleased about the Obamanation as you dudes are... and the DOS has stopped the export of anything chambered in military calibers, so all we're getting up here are .223 chambered rifles and the occasional Wilde RRA... And Bushmaster's new owners just dissed (no pun intended) their Canadian distributors so no more of those up here at all... but that's ok, we have Norincos...

The other 5.56 option is from a UK company called Imperial Defense... and their shit doesn't look a whole lot better than the Norc stuff. In fact, there's much discussion about the Imperial Defense stuff possibly being made in China... but they sell for $1,699.00 Canadian... here again,

I'd buy a CQ if they sold them here. Interesting industry news, sounds like some things went up in value.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Shrug*

I'd buy a CQ if they sold them here. Interesting industry news, sounds like some things went up in value.

The value remains the same (priceless)... but the costs have sure as hell gone up...

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Id buy one of those before a hesse..I have a polytech M14 and a couple 1911s from norinco.For 15 years they have eaten anything fed to them and have been completely reliable.Its nice that barrel legnth in Canada means nothing so you dont need a permanent flash hider for the sake of barrel legnth.

+1

Every Norinco I've touched has functioned flawlessly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn. I'd even pass on that. Even if they were in stock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Worthless
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you actually buy one in Canada. Isn't there an Assualt Weapons Prohibition or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can you actually buy one in Canada. Isn't there an Assualt Weapons Prohibition or am I missing something?

Sorry man, but you're missing something... the AWB was only a US thing, and while it was going on we were buying all the shit built in the US by Colt and Armalite etc with receivers stamped "For Gov't / Law Enforcement or Export Use Only"... collapsible stocks, flash hiders, detachable mags, pistol grips, bayo lugs etc etc are / were all GTG up here... The only prohibition is on mag capacity... 5 rounds in a (any) center fire rifle mag... 10 rounds in a handgun mag. We can legally get around the 5 round issue in an AR using RRA LAR 10 round mags because they were manufactured for a "pistol"... fucked, I know... but it's the law... 7.5", 10", 11" barrels are all GTG as well...

What we can't do is hunt with an AR or plink with an AR anywhere but at an approved range. They're considered restricted and can't be used "at the farm" so to speak... For that matter most center rifles with a 16" or shorter barrel are considered restricted, as are all handguns, and handguns with barrels shorter than 4.18" are prohibited (unless you owned one before they changed the law, in which case you can keep / sell / buy them, but only to other grandfathered individuals).

All firearms are registered with the gov't... a plan which was supposed to cost $2M... and at last count had run up a tab worth more than $2B... If you own restricted firearms, you also need an ATT (Authorization To Transport) in order to take your firearms from their registered address (including the range and or a gunsmith). We have a house bill pending however that will remove the need for an ATT for anyone with a valid license (PAL, Possession And Acquisition License).

We also have a national licensing requirement... if you want to own firearms of any kind, you need to take a gov't course and apply for a license... an approach that's coming your way if you guys fall asleep at the switch like we did up here... which I sincerely hope you don't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
My friend back home in Windsor ontario Canada, had one, an 2 rifle length.

it was terrible to say the least. No staking too. Worse then vulcan, or close to it.

I'll add, he paid $350.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag for range report
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm gonna guess that none of the parts will interchange with US built stuff.......Praise the Father !!!!    
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess that none of the parts will interchange with US built stuff.......Praise the Father !!!!    

Well, my buddys had armalite furniture on it. Still didn't change the fact that its an asian made ar15.

Can anyone say airsoft?

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#43]
So, what you're saying is... AR doesn't stand for Asian Rifle...!?! but, but... I thought...
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Come on guys.  Handle a Norinco before you down on it.  Norinco SKS, AKs, and 1911s are good guns.  Hell,  Polytech Legend Chinese AK-47s go for like 1.5-2k+.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like a typical M4gery.  As for the finish, those photos are pretty shitty, and it looks like there's an entire bottle of CLP on the thing.

I'm sure if it had a lot of check marks on "The Chart," people would be all over it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

THIS
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Are the receivers forged? They look to be. I'd like to hear some range reports.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Come on guys.  Handle a Norinco before you down on it.  Norinco SKS, AKs, and 1911s are good guns.  Hell,  Polytech Legend Chinese AK-47s go for like 1.5-2k+.

Well, I will be honest, they do make an okay SKS. And my buddy thought their m14s were quite good.

BUt i wouldn't trust an asian made airsoft ar15

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I am going to order one with my .gov repayment of my interest free loan to them (income tax refund), I will see how they sit with me

but that is after my Newest VZ58 comes in, I figure, might as well get as many evil guns as I can
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Finally some competition for Oly too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top