10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:54:35 AM
LMT

Just as good for hundreds of dollars less.
OlCrow
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 6:56:43 AM
Buy the LMT.

Just as good as Colt.

LMT is an American owned company, Colt is owned by an Iraqi citizen.

I own a Colt and an LMT, had the Colt since '93 but when I wanted another AR last year I went with the LMT.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. ~ Ronald Reagan
JonLSU
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:31:53 AM
[Last Edit: 2/17/2009 7:33:03 AM by JonLSU]
I used to be on the anti-colt bandwagon, mainly b/c I thought that pretty much all AR's were close to equal. I could never justify why someone would spend that much more for a rifle. Then I get to the LEO job I have now where we use Colt M4's with the happy switch and I see the abuse we put them through and so far in the little over two years I've been here, we have yet to see the first FTF or any problem. So I just ordered my 6920 a few weeks ago for $1150 shipped. I can't wait to get it.

But buy either one, they are both top notch guns.
llamanator
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:51:51 AM
Originally Posted By mad_mardigan:
LMT

Just as good for hundreds of dollars less.

This.

Can pay 1300 with a sopmod (LMT) or pay 1500 without (colt). Some may say colt is better, they may be right. But for now, its more on what you can find, or how long your willing to wait.

"I can't take HIS money, I can't print MY OWN money, I have to work for money, why dont I just lay down and die? "
Group9
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:56:29 AM
Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:
Originally Posted By EWP:
The thing is with the Colt owners, is in all reality they fail just as much as most all others. But out of pride of there expensive Colt rifles that cost twice what most people pay they limit there posting of broken parts and stories, this some how helps them justify all the money they spent as long as people thing they never fail and are the best rifles.

The thing with posters like this is that they have no idea what they are talking about. Read a few AARs from major carbine courses and you will see that the exact opposite is true. For the new folks out there looking to learn about ARs, disregard what was said above because it has no real basis.

He didn't say it very well, but if you think Colts don't break, you need to go work for an agency that has owned over 10,000 of them. I assure you they break.
athensguy
go dogs
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 9:33:18 AM
Originally Posted By Jonnysixguns:
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
Originally Posted By Jonnysixguns:
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
Originally Posted By dave80:
I have a colt, but there was a small thread saying colt is overratted.

That's because anyone, including idiots and the mentally handicapped can post on the internet.

That is hurtful... I'm not much for Colt and I dont think it makes me a moron... Do they still do that thing with offset pivot pins and atypical trigger pin sizes?

They use a standard pivot pin size.

If your lower parts are made to the TDP spec and are properly heat-treated then you don't have to worry about your trigger pin. Since in the civilian world that only means Colt, well...guess you don't have to worry about the atypical size, eh?

TDP? please explain? So your getting at that since the colt pins are well made and don't break the atypical size becomes a non issue or is this right over my head? sorry.. i wanna learn...

He means since the lower parts are out of spec, they are in spec!
...was infected with BRD as a small child. A serious outbreak occurred in 2008 at the age of 29.
warpig8654
Gunny
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 9:45:07 AM
Originally Posted By Sabre223:
Originally Posted By regalgseguy:
Which one and why?

Which one do you want?

LEO's, see you at: http://www.copsforchrist.net/

"The only difference between OBAMA & OSAMA is B.S."

"If I wanted your opinion I would give it to you" - Gunny
JBnTX
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:51:41 AM
No more Colt bashing is allowed.

Stop it!
Alpha-Romeo3
AR-15 owner since 1971
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:41:08 PM
I got both, get whatever you could find, they're both great.
YMMV

AR3
flyboy1910
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:28:55 PM
[Last Edit: 2/17/2009 7:32:06 PM by flyboy1910]
It seems like a question asked a lot here, but it's a legit concern IMHO.

I've had both and tend to veer toward Colt mainly because I've put more rounds downrange with my 6920 than just about anything else.

Also my LMT came with a standard carbine buffer instead of an H (probably not and issue, but I replaced it anyway), and no side sling swivel (personal preference), I run a Vickers, so the side swivel works out without having to buy an aftermaket part. The barrel parkerizing on the LMT was very strange. It seemed very thick and light colored, more like the Bushmaster my buddy has, and LMT does not park under the FSB (non issue for me, can't speak for the OP). Colts parkerizing seemed more even and is a pleasing dark grey/green (cosmetic, but we ARE splitting hairs).

Receiver fit was about the same (both VERY loose), but the LMT had more attractive machining. Also I found the LMT was more accurate than the Colt with the same barrel profile.
I kept the Colt mainly because I had more money in it, and I had fired it more, so psychologically I trusted it more.
My advice is to buy what is available now, IMHO both guns have strengths/weaknesses that balance each other out.
Shawnmt6601
Monster From Beyond the Grave
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:38:36 PM
The thing is with the Colt owners, is in all reality they fail just as much as most all others. But out of pride of there expensive Colt rifles that cost twice what most people pay they limit there posting of broken parts and stories, this some how helps them justify all the money they spent as long as people thing they never fail and are the best rifles.

Picking up a Colt 1911 is like shaking hands with an old friend

Thanks to Peepshowal!!!

"only fear and lack of skill drives men to want bigger calibers." -stormwalker
Swatter911
Tweakers Suck
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:42:25 PM

15 posts since Nov 2008....check.
Colt vs. anybody thread.....check.

Analysis:
There is no tactical problem that cannot be resolved through the judicious application of explosives.
CTbuilder1
R-CT
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/17/2009 8:03:50 PM
Originally Posted By Group9:
Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:

The thing with posters like this is that they have no idea what they are talking about. Read a few AARs from major carbine courses and you will see that the exact opposite is true. For the new folks out there looking to learn about ARs, disregard what was said above because it has no real basis.

He didn't say it very well, but if you think Colts don't break, you need to go work for an agency that has owned over 10,000 of them. I assure you they break.

I have no doubt that they break. But the failure rates are lower than commercial brands. A Colt or LMT (Tier 1) is going to be more reliable and less failure prone than a commercial spec gun.
"Trust but verify"
Page:  / 2
Next Page  
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED