Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2009 4:19:16 PM EDT
I know...not this shit again...

Anyway, I'm working on a 14.5" carbine. I'm trying to determine the best possible buffer to use for this rifle. I figured it should have the weight of the standard rifle buffer: 5.2 oz right?

Every time I find a list of buffer weights, the values seem to be differen't. Some people say the H3 buffer is 4.6 oz, 5.4oz, 5.5oz...

Pk Firearms has a Colt 9mm buffer listed as being 5.2 oz. Seems like this would be the ticket. However, I also see it listed as 5.6 oz elseware.

So, what is the real scoop. Is the Colt 9mm closest to the stock rifle buffer weight, or would the H3 be the better option?

What are the real values for their weights? Or, does it vary for different manufacturers?

Thanks much,
-erik
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Anyway, I'm working on a 14.5" carbine. I'm trying to determine the best possible buffer to use for this rifle. I figured it should have the weight of the standard rifle buffer: 5.2 oz right?

Every time I find a list of buffer weights, the values seem to be differen't. Some people say the H3 buffer is 4.6 oz, 5.4oz, 5.5oz...

Pk Firearms has a Colt 9mm buffer listed as being 5.2 oz. Seems like this would be the ticket. However, I also see it listed as 5.6 oz elseware.

So, what is the real scoop. Is the Colt 9mm closest to the stock rifle buffer weight, or would the H3 be the better option?

What are the real values for their weights? Or, does it vary for different manufacturers?

Thanks much,
-erik

It will probably vary between manufacturers. You do not need anything heavier than a H buffer with a 14.5 barrel though. Im sure a carbine buffer would be fine as well
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks much,
-erik

It will probably vary between manufacturers. You do not need anything heavier than a H buffer with a 14.5 barrel though. Im sure a carbine buffer would be fine as well

If you want to find out for sure, you're better off weighing them yourself. It's not really a big deal. It's usually only a few oz. difference.

Nothing wrong with using a 9mm buffer in a semi auto carbine. I have one in my 16" carbine and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Any buffer weight should work in a 14.5" carbine. The difference will be on how the rifle handles while shooting it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Start here:

Midlength = H
Carbine = H2

Armalite Tech Article on desired ejection patern
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The perfect buffer weight has to be determined by you shooting it.
From what I have learned at 6.8Forums,
you want the fired brass to eject to the 3 o'clock postition.
If it is at one or two o'clock make the buffer/srping heavier and
if it ejects to 4 or 5 o'clock make it lighter.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT M4 14.5 barrel

Ive used Standard buffer up to  9mm buffer

I like the 9mm BEST

Can tell a Big Difference

RRA MAKES 2 type of 9mm buffers
Mine doesnt have the screw Just green rubber at the end

any one know if they wiegh Different
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with an H3 or 9mm, that will be the heaviest you can readily find without breaking the bank.  I run an H3 from BravoCo in all my Middlengths, they run much smoother and have less recoil.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone tried the Spikes heavy buffer in a 14.5 middy ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1  wondering about that one as well
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Dunno but I think the Spikes heavy buffers are the ticket for any build and length 16" or less
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really necessary. I don't think they would work anyways. They are made for pistol caliber conversions and are longer than standard buffers. Assuming you're talking about the ones I'm thinking of

Nevermind, they do have 8.5oz standard length buffers. Might be a bit of over kill but if they work go for it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really necessary. I don't think they would work anyways. They are made for pistol caliber conversions and are longer than standard buffers. Assuming you're talking about the ones I'm thinking of

Nevermind, they do have 8.5oz standard length buffers. Might be a bit of over kill but if they work go for it.

this is the one I was thinking of

spikes heavy buffer
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, thnx for you're responses everyone. Looks like I'm going with the colt 9mm.

erik
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is the one I was thinking of

spikes heavy buffer

Me too ! It shows 7.0 oz .
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I run 9mm buffers in my carbines and haven't had a problem.  Every list is different.

TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a bit stupid here.. more of an AK man..

So what you are saying is that I will have a better shooting Colt 16" carbine if I switch out the factory buffer for a 9mm buffer?

Hmmmm.. interesting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So what you are saying is that I will have a better shooting Colt 16" carbine if I switch out the factory buffer for a 9mm buffer?

Hmmmm.. interesting.

I've said before that buffer weight difference is a personal preference (in regards to a semi auto only AR). If you shoot an AR enough you will find there is a difference in recoil with a heavier or lighter buffer, especially with a 16" carbine. You may or may not like the difference. So it may or may not be worth the $25+S/H to try (you could always resell it).

All I can do is recommend it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.. interesting.

My M4 stays on target better running a 25$ RRA 9mm buffer
also can shoot 223rem like WOLF etc!

I wouldnt go heavier than the RRA 9mm buffer

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it a smoother feel to the cycling of the action?..

I use the full-size Colt's in my line of work and I had an M4 in the past.. I have a pre-ban Colt A2 carbine coming and I want to tweak the lower were I can to improve it so I will be looking into this..

I will get a Colt 9mm buffer and drop her in.. see how I likes.. I like the spider buffer.. looks good. Good web-site,,

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
has anyone made their own buffers?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
My rationale was this 20" rifles are in the original design parameters for the M16/AR15 and are the most reliable and easier and softer running,normal parts wear.Chamber pressure zero when extraction happens.I wanted my carbines to run like a full size rifle so the challenge was slowing down the carbines function to that of the rifle and increase reliabilty.

First challenge was making extraction on the carbine easier and more effortless by increasing dwell time so extraction doesnt happen at peak chamber pressure that carbines are famous for.So I went with the 9mm buffer as its just a hair off the same weight as a full size rifle buffer,next was the carrier I started using an LMT enhanced carrier 3 years ago wich has the extra vent hole and recut cam pin tract that delays the unlocking of the bolt increasing dwell time so chamber pressure drops off to almost zero like a full size rifle making extraction easier.

I also use chromed extractors and ejectors with X power prings in the extractor and the result has been a less violent running smoother recoil impluse carbine that runs and runs and runs also with more gas vented out theres less carbon build up then when I didnt have the improvements.I now use top quality barrels,bolts and such but initially I just wanted to tame the shorter gas system and the 9mm buffer and enhanced carrier made it happen.

If you can get tungsten rod cheap you can make standard buffers heavier..with me the price of tungsten was so expensive that the $25 for the RRA buffer was more cost effective.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m a long-time shooter, but a relative “newb” to the AR’s…  When I started building (assembling actually is more like it), I picked up a carbine, an H, and an H2 buffer so I could take them all to the range and figure out what works best.

When I consider the time, effort + gas, ammo and range fees – a couple extra buffers is just a plain good investment.  At the end of the day, I’ll have most likely found which one of my reloads my gun likes – along with its favorite buffer.

Throw down a few extra bucks to do it right and shame the devil…
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Im doing a couple builds and put the buffers i have on a scale.

H from PK 3.5
H3 from Bravo 5.5
9MM RRA 5.6

One thing I noticed was that the 9MM buffer does not rattle like it has weights in it. I did a lot of reading and some people say that they weights are loose in the standard carbine buffers for a reason but I dont recall what that reason was. Something about the weights counteracting the buffer as in the buffer hits home and then the weights hit a few milliseconds later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#24]
so the lighter the oz. the faster the cyclic rate??
what about a heavy spring with a light buffer??
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top