Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2008 2:03:14 PM EDT
I have my eyes (and wallet) set on building an AR-15. Many of you seem knowledgeable about where to find the best deals on all things firearms. Where can I go to get the cheapest stripped AR-15 lower receiver? I am looking for one that is forged and hard anodize MIL-A-8625E, Type III. Other than those two requirements I am not picky, the receiver is supposed to be a great place to save money.

The cheapest I have found is a Superior Arms via AIM Surplus for $79.99. With shipping and local FFL transfer I am looking at almost $100, a great total cost of ownership (TCO). The only hitch is that it is currently out of stock, and I'll find out in a phone call tomorrow if they're anticipating more any time soon.

The next best price I have found is from Anvil Arms. $130 plus shipping and local FFL transfer fee.

The complete (less lower) kit I am looking at will run me between $450 and $700 depending on bells and whistles. $800 TCO would be the upper limit of my budget, so I am sure you can appreciate the importance of shaving cost wherever I can and starting with the receiver.

Once again, thank you for any info you can supply me with in reference to finding a cheap, forged AR-15 receiver.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really want to build the "cheapest" gun possible?  Just remember you may need that rifle to save your life or your families some day.  

Now that i got that out there, most lowers are of similar quality regardless of price.  Superior are fine from what I have heard.  Just don't skimp on the important stuff by trying to build the cheapest piece of shit possible.

Stay away from hesse/vulcan/blackthorne
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]

AIM Surplus is a great place to start.  They also have Aero Precision for $100, Double Star for $100, and CMMG for $115.  Not sure about the waiting list though.

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.essentialarms.com/
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
del-ton has them for $105 but there is a wait.  Don't worry about "going cheap"  For lowers more expensive does not mean better.  As long as its a reputable company as all of the above are, your good to go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.essentialarms.com/

What do we know about the Essential Arms lowers? Are they in spec? Or are they trash?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Essential arms makes great lower.  Quality is top tier.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looking through their finish options, is it worth going with the "durable coat"?
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking through their finish options, is it worth going with the "durable coat"?

Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone?

EA lowers are in spec and they make their own, dont farm them out. Makes me wonder who else they may be producing for.

My TC OD green matched upper/lower will be in any day but have heard great things. I have no doubt it will be top notch but will give a first hand account when it comes in.

They have had a price increase from what you will see on their website. Standard anodized lowers are now $100 and a matched upper/lower TC set is running $194 with a limit of no more than 3 lowers and no discount for multiples.

Link Posted: 12/1/2008 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
In this market, I'd take what I can get.  Anvel maks good stuff from what I hear.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top