Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
The Bravo Company Gear Thread (Page 104 of 128)
Page / 128
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samuse:
Same exact thing I said about Keymod when and since it first came out.

I got hit with all kinds of smart-ass remarks like 'smoking crack, need to see a doctor, have no clue WTF I'm talking about, etc.'.

I'll say it again now.  Keymod is lightweight, light duty, hobby grade, gamer/gear queer type stuff.  It has no place on a working gun.

I like BCM and my only working rifle is a complete EAG, I wouldn't put anyone over them when it comes to parts, but Larue and Daniel Defense is the only rails I use.

View Quote

I like the Keymod rails, but I have to agree that on a working gun you need the Picatinny rails.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 5:48:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weldingrod] [#2]
Any problems with BCM aluminum rail sections?  I can see how the plastic ones might be able to move if really reefed on as plastic is only so strong and could fail. Plus the bottom of these rails are essentially hollow, allowing for displacement of rail material.  Looks solidly poor design to me.  However for the aluminum ones to move, metal would have to shear.  Same with the BCM steel QD sling swivel socket.  If it is properly installed, the only way it could move rearward is if metal has actually sheared as it has a "hook" that grabs the next hole forward (towards the muzzle), beyond the two key slots being used for the fasteners, to prevent rearward movement.

Seems to me that if there a weak point in the keymod system it would be keymod attachments that are not metallic, and/or those which are not solid on the bottom surface around where the nuts will pull up.  If the bottom of the accessory is flat and solid in this area, metal from the rail is sandwiched between the nut and the accessory.  The rail material cannot then easily  bend, pull, or get displaced to allow loosening.  But if the bottom of the accessory is hollow, like the plastic rail sections that BCM includes, it seems me that a decrease in attachment strength may be created.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By CastorTroy:

For you guys with BCM grips, how are using them to store batteries? i'd like to keep a couple CR123s and a couple CR2032s in the grip, but i'm not interested in having them rattle around.
View Quote
I taped mine with a piece of paper in between them.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Patriot brown?

Originally Posted By tx1021:

That looks great.

Pic thread:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/Tx1021/image3006_zpsq3fg8t7a.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Breitling:

Patriot brown?

View Quote

I really need to get some better pics, but it's a base of Aervoe field drab, with coyote, foliage, and Rustoleum earth brown over it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
New 3gun/recce project:  14.5" BFH Middy.  Going to chop the FSB and install a KMR 13.  Offset MBUS Pro's and a Leupold VX-6 Multigun in an Aero Precision mount will round out the nice (and relatively lightweight) package:

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
BCM Carbine upper the rest is Spikes and Magpul

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Reading about Lancelot's problems and the statements from others on here, I can't help but wonder if this was the reason HK decided to reverse the direction of their keymod rails

HK Keymod
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a SLR rail and had a Seekins, I don't have any movement issues with at least the BCM VFG (twist kind, you can also adjust the screws to be tighter ), BCM Kag, Fortis light mount, IWC light mount, or the IWC qd swivel. Out of curiosity of this I put my but stock on the ground and applied pressure to these items with straight downward pressure, a slamming motion and by trying to add a wiggling movement as I applied pressure. I could not get any of my items to move on my rail choice.

Maybe BCM's material and finish is slicker or more prone to material deformation when tightened than aluminum? or its on the thinner side of the tolerance spectrum.  I do think most accessories should have a locking piece between the two normal mounting screws. IF I applied enough pressure to my VFG it would break the VFG before it would slide off the rail. All i mount is a flashlight,sling and a VFG. I also don't have a problem with over torquing and I tighten the shit outta of things I have not broken anything and I'm hard on my shit.. The only reason I would go with a Quad rail currently is if I had NVD and an IR.

I'm not a keymod lover and have some quibbles with it and only have one keymod rail right now(outta 5 rifles). Ive used/use quad rails( primarily DD) and etc and I have no concerns with keymod at least when its made out of aluminum. I flat out don't like the magnesium alloy choice myself. But some are hating on all keymod because of minor issues with primarily one brand, its silly. It be like saying all quad rails are crap because you had a bad experience with NCStar    If all manufactures just make sure their accessories have a retention lug and captive screws, the sliding issue could be avoided as well as lost parts.Also with a retention lug the accessories would not sit flush with the rail until it was all the way on, meaning people couldn't tighten it with it being on incorrectly at least reducing user error.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#10]
No issues with the KMR here, and alos did something similar with a VFG, but on a pic rail section. My direct attached handstop as had no issues and I use it as a barrier stop a lot as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ASH556:
New 3gun/recce project:  14.5" BFH Middy.  Going to chop the FSB and install a KMR 13.  Offset MBUS Pro's and a Leupold VX-6 Multigun in an Aero Precision mount will round out the nice (and relatively lightweight) package:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/27D43825-FEFB-4642-9DD8-0E52BA29DCA3.jpg
View Quote

FSB chopped, KMR installed.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The wifey's BCM

14.5" BCM chf cl govt profile mid length barrel
Spaced/pinnned/welded a2 (soon to be Surefire sfmb-556)
13" KMR
BCM upper/lower receiver
BCM lpk, bcg and gunfighter mod4 ch
ALG QMS trigger (temporary)
KAC micro fr & r 200-600m buis
KAC keymod light mount
KAC keymod hand stop
BCM keymod qd sling mount
Surefire m300u mini scout light w/ sr07 switch
Leupold 1-6x Mark 6 on Leupold mount (temporary)
Magpul aluminum trigger guard, Miad grip, CTR stock & 10/30
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:58:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: justinj1660] [#13]

11.5" BCM BFH upper assembly
KAC RAS
Silencerco Specwar 7.62
Aimpoint Comp M4

Aero Precision lower w/ SSA trigger
B5 Sopmod
Spikes ST-T2 buffer
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By justinj1660:
<a href="http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/chipchipperson45/media/Public/4D533444-4746-49B8-A3E1-83FC498F7A70_zps4qbfb9lw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/chipchipperson45/Public/4D533444-4746-49B8-A3E1-83FC498F7A70_zps4qbfb9lw.jpg</a>

11.5" BCM BFH upper assembly
KAC RAS
Silencerco Specwar 7.62
Aimpoint Comp M4

Spikes lower w/ SSA trigger
B5 Sopmod
Spikes ST-T2 buffer
View Quote

Clean.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't be sorry.  You found a weakness in the system.  If anything, it would be irresponsible not to voice your thoughts.  For me personally, I don't worry about my front sling swivel since it's attached to the top of my KMR on the 1913 rail.  The vertical grip, however, could probably move under extreme force.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I completely 100% agree. Keymod is great for a lot of applications but under hard use, I've had lights and grips fall off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate you taking the time to share this and am truly sorry that some people have shuned you for being honest. I've had issues with keymod accessories comming lose and for me was a mear inconvenience, on a working gun it's just plain dangerous and unacceptable. You shared your experience and concerns with keymod in a very respectful way, not sure why there was any butthurt over it
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dtap1022] [#19]
20inch BCM upper on Spikes lower.

Always had a love and hate relationship with the A2 stock, but for hunting and relatively longer range shooting seems to work well

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#20]
Not trying the shun Lancelot or anyone else and I do belive what he says, but its odd how as soon as he said it then a lot of people come out and say they have the same issues.

Coincidence or maybe they were waiting for someone of Lancelot's status to lead the way.

Thanks for the info Lancelot, and for letting the thread get derailed a bit.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Not trying the shun Lancelot or anyone else and I do belive what he says, but its odd how as soon as he said it then a lot of people come out and say they have the same issues.

Coincidence or maybe they were waiting for someone of Lancelot's status to lead the way.

View Quote

I've said it in the past. I just felt like letting everyone else know again since it was brought up. I'm sure a lot of people were hesitant about expressing how they feel about keymod since it's the latest fad
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
I did get a lot of off forum push back. You should read my email. That was the biggest part of my hesitance to post. It did serve a purpose though in that it forced me to try and retry certain things multiple times. The down side is that some of my friends in the industry have now put me on ignore.

With QD swivels most use the hole in the keymod to allow the stud on the swivel to pass through. This keeps the mount low profile. On one mount, when I tighten the screws the mount would actually move far enough that the stud would not seat. I had to loosen the screws, insert the swivel, then tighten the screw again. On a couple of occasions the mount would move with the stud in place. This traps the stud and the friction would not allow it to rotate. The swivel was then stuck and you could not remove it. I had to loosen the screws to remove the swivel. As the screws were tightened we could see the mount move aft on the rail.

The BCM sling mount has a lip on the front that grabs the next hole forward. This keeps the swivel from working its way aft. You will now see two of the BCM mounts on this gun. One on each side. These seem to solve this issue for me.

I did have an occasion or two when I would do a transition and drop the gun on the sling. The weight of the gun falling on the sling pulled the mount loose and to the rear. Again the stud was trapped. Using loctite and did not help. Again, not a BCM mount. If the hole and slot were reversed, then the mount would be pulled into the hole and not out of it. That would at least make the sling issue a non issue. Slings don't usually get pulled forward. Apparently the engineering shows that under recoil things move forward not aft, and that's why they made it this way.

I use the IWC 2to1 triglide. I run my sling in two point and will transition to one point. I can't do that if its trapped. Also my work partner is right handed but shoots off her left shoulder. With QD's I can hand her the gun and she can swap the sling to the other side for her. That's the beauty of the QD setup sling, the QD lower receiver end plate, and QD's on both sides. Which is how this gun is set up. The sling can go from one side to the other very quickly. EAG sets up their guns the same way so that lefty students can run the same guns.

I could use some other sling attachment system, but the QD works so well I don't care to change. And its not the mount to sling interface that is the problem, its the mount to rail interface.

Don't misunderstand. I like the size, shape, and weight of the keymod tube. For most non working applications its fine. But I just can't trust it on a duty gun. Again, YMMV, and its just my opinion. Unfortunately, its one that I voiced in public, and it has cost me a great deal. People I respect took it personally, and for that I am truly sorry.

The IWC / HSP light mounts have not been an issue. But they never get jerked around. If they take a hit from front to rear, who knows. I have not had that happen yet. There's not enough weight on them to force them to move.

So far the KAG has not moved, but I have not really run it hard yet. I may swap back to the new VFG since my partner has small hands it that seems to work better for her. All my working guns are set up to allow it to be used by my partner if need be. So I have very specific needs.

All that being said, this gun is a shooter. And it handles like a dream. Its fun to shoot and like all things BCM very reliable. Now if only Sherman and Peabody would let me borrow the way back machine.

View Quote

I'm with ya. I'm not a fan of keymod for similar reasons that you stated. I do like the thin rail grip it gives, but that's about it. The only AR's i'm into these days (as you could probably tell from my sig) are duty type rifles. Meaning I 100 percent back you that picattany rails are a by nature more robust design than pic rails attatched to keymod slots. I'm not one for fads so I have no problem openly saying i'm not a fan of keymod. But I will say a friend that would put you on ignore because you prefer apples over the oranges that he sells for a living, was never a friend to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I did get a lot of off forum push back. You should read my email. That was the biggest part of my hesitance to post. It did serve a purpose though in that it forced me to try and retry certain things multiple times. The down side is that some of my friends in the industry have now put me on ignore.
-snip-
So far the KAG has not moved, but I have not really run it hard yet. I may swap back to the new VFG since my partner has small hands it that seems to work better for her. All my working guns are set up to allow it to be used by my partner if need be. So I have very specific needs.

All that being said, this gun is a shooter. And it handles like a dream. Its fun to shoot and like all things BCM very reliable. Now if only Sherman and Peabody would let me borrow the way back machine.

View Quote

very sorry to hear that your honesty and integrity have cost you, but thank you for being true to yourself and others.  you may very well have saved lives with this post.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZoToL] [#24]
Could you use red loctite on the qd sling mount? How often does a person even move those. Just make sure its like the bcm one with a lip to prevent sliding. I like quad rails and all but all I mount is a flashlight, sling and a VFG, the slimness and weight savings to me is worth it. All the weight I lost off the front of my rifle makes its handling a night and day difference compared to my previous quad railed rifles There are compromises to any system unfortunatly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ZoToL:
Could you use red loctite on the qd sling mount? How often does a person even move those. Just make sure its like the bcm one with a lip to prevent sliding. I like quad rails and all but all I mount is a flashlight, sling and a VFG, the slimness and weight savings to me is worth it. All the weight I lost off the front of my rifle makes its handling a night and day difference compared to my previous quad railed rifles There are compromises to any system unfortunatly.
View Quote

Yep, use well-designed KeyMod accessories and Loctite the screws. I also agree that using a top-rail mounted QD sling socket is a good idea. I personally like the Viking Tactics LPSMs, which are very low profile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By The_Hammer:

I appreciate you taking the time to share this and am truly sorry that some people have shuned you for being honest. I've had issues with keymod accessories comming lose and for me was a mear inconvenience, on a working gun it's just plain dangerous and unacceptable. You shared your experience and concerns with keymod in a very respectful way, not sure why there was any butthurt over it
View Quote
Because a lot of industry "tough guys" are little girls, that value public opinion over their friends in real life. Watching a company go from humble roots to success is a test of the founder's character. I've seen a few success stories change people.

Keymod is okay as a lightweight alternative, but certainly not a replacement to picatinny.

I'm replacing my KMR this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I've been voicing similar sentiments regarding keymod around here for quite some time now. I had already encountered a few keymod attachments that were even loctite'd come loose during hard use over a year ago now. I have always been vocal about it.

Keymod has its place though. I have my third keymod upper on its way to me now.

My go-to rifles all have picatinny handguards though.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weldingrod] [#29]
A keymod accessory that relies on friction alone to prevent fore-aft movement is bound to fail under hard use.  I wouldn't blame the keymod system for this though, that would be a shortcut in design by the accessory manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Weldingrod:
A keymod accessory that relies on friction alone to prevent fore-aft movement is bound to fail under hard use.  I wouldn't blame the keymod system for this though, that would be a shortcut in design by the accessory manufacturer.
View Quote

That;s what I was thinking that maybe some companies just aren't paying attention to how things work. I don't get why people would get so pissed if they care about their customers. Keymod is a new product and if you get no feedback on things how are things to get improved? If the accessory had a circular boss on the back to drop into the rail it would prevent rearward movement I know some companies do just that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I've mentioned my issues with keymod at one time or another, long before Lancelot made his post. I was simply restating them.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#35]
BCM complete EAG upper and separate complete lower.

No Keymod.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]

No Keymod.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/EAG/fbfeacd1-80ff-4f89-a0d8-d01f41a9a6d9_zpsy0s4dlrk.jpg
View Quote
I truly miss mine.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#37]
First one.  BCM Upper, Spikes Lower

" />
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:I truly miss mine.  

View Quote

This is the second one I've had, I'm keepin' this one.  I've owned just about every configuration of AR upper and this EAG just does everything I want it to.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerForged] [#39]
I truly miss mine.  

View All Quotes

No Keymod.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/EAG/fbfeacd1-80ff-4f89-a0d8-d01f41a9a6d9_zpsy0s4dlrk.jpg
I truly miss mine.  

</a>" />

Mines still my go too. Although after reading some of this stuff i literally tried to bang a BCM KAG of my KMR. It wouldn't move, maybe if i used a hammer?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Nothing special
BCM 12.5 upper
PSA Lower

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#41]
RRA middy handguards added, I need a light
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By HammerForged:

http://<a href=http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/joshuamarcreid/Mobile%20Uploads/20140610_201621_zps0fc0851e.jpg</a>" />

Mines still my go too. Although after reading some of this stuff i literally tried to bang a BCM KAG of my KMR. It wouldn't move, maybe if i used a hammer?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HammerForged:

No Keymod.

I truly miss mine.  

http://<a href=http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/joshuamarcreid/Mobile%20Uploads/20140610_201621_zps0fc0851e.jpg</a>" />

I believe the issue is not with BCM Keymod stuff, and nice EAG.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#43]

With QD swivels most use the hole in the keymod to allow the stud on the swivel to pass through. This keeps the mount low profile. On one mount, when I tighten the screws the mount would actually move far enough that the stud would not seat. I had to loosen the screws, insert the swivel, then tighten the screw again. On a couple of occasions the mount would move with the stud in place. This traps the stud and the friction would not allow it to rotate. The swivel was then stuck and you could not remove it. I had to loosen the screws to remove the swivel. As the screws were tightened we could see the mount move aft on the rail.

View Quote

Anyone who would give you a hard time over you telling the truth on a product that could possibly cost someone their life isn't a friend. I don't care what anyone says. You haven't lost anything of value, trust me.

If someone was selling me something for my HD rifle and they withheld ANY kind of info that might make me second guess it due to a possible failure I would hold directly responsible for the outcome of a failure of said product.

We are talking about lives potentially. You should out these people and they should be publicly shamed and shunned.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By p226guy:
RRA middy handguards added, I need a light
<a href="http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/philipdrye/media/1D0E9B7F-1130-44E1-B6B8-1640EF73AF90_zpsvcedm44y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y423/philipdrye/1D0E9B7F-1130-44E1-B6B8-1640EF73AF90_zpsvcedm44y.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: itgoesboom] [#45]
Here are two of my BCM carbines. My other one didn't get to go to the range today.  

BCM Carbines by friendlyfireisnt, on Flickr

Top is a my first SBR

BCM 11.5" BFH upper, BCM BCG

Stoner Arms Lower

Inforce APL (soon to be swapped out)

Magpul & BCM furniture

Bottom one is my current favorite

BCM 14.5" Blemished upper with Centurion C4 Rail, BCM BCG

New Frontier Armory Billet lower

BCM Comp

Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x, Larue Mount

Surefire G2x

Troy Sights

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#46]

14.5" (13" KMR) and 10.5" (9" KMR)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyboy999] [#47]
BCM 20" Upper with 13" KMR on an Areo Precision lower. Scope is a Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm
Other notable bits include a Syrac Ordinance Adjustable Gas block, Luth-AR MBA, RRA 2-stage trigger
Nothing too fancy (except apparently the 20" barrel), but it's my first rifle. Strictly a range gun so it'll probably stay pretty plain.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:24:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Thesandstonefiles:

Anyone who would give you a hard time over you telling the truth on a product that could possibly cost someone their life isn't a friend. I don't care what anyone says. You haven't lost anything of value, trust me.

If someone was selling me something for my HD rifle and they withheld ANY kind of info that might make me second guess it due to a possible failure I would hold directly responsible for the outcome of a failure of said product.

We are talking about lives potentially. You should out these people and they should be publicly shamed and shunned.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thesandstonefiles:

If I could "like" a post...

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#49]
BCM  BFH 16" middy with 13" KMR sitting on a Bushy lower. Aimpoint H1, Wilson Combat TR-TTU-MIL trigger, BCM gunstock and grip. Magpul sling and QD mount. Thorntail light mount and TLR-1.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 128
The Bravo Company Gear Thread (Page 104 of 128)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top