Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2008 5:00:54 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been covered, I've searched (can only go back 3 months) but what's the story with Colt takedown pin sizes? I've got an SP1 I've had since 1976 or so with, of course, the big front pin, then I've got an HBAR with a small pin but no detent and a screw to hold it in place, all the rest (Armalite, DPMS, Oly) are small pin w/ detent...

What's the deal here with the folks at Hartford, why, when, what models, etc?

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mil Specs have changed over the years.

They have had a moderate case of HK itis, because civilian shooters suck and we hate you!

I belief both of these have some element of truth, at some point they did change over to the quick take down pivot pin (not sure of date), and later on they had the whole large pin/small pin shell game for mere mortals.

I am sure some Colt fan boys will chime in.  

BTW 2 of my ARs are in fact Colts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The 80's SP2 I had was a large pivot pin but standard fire control pins.
My mid 90's Match Target I had came with a standard pivot pin which had to be screwed in, the fire control pins were large.

Today's - I think the pivot pin is standard and the fire control pins are still large.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO.......COLT has made may mistakes in their history and in their efforts to be P.C.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......you might like this site........

http://sr25.com/ar15/
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They have had a moderate case of HK itis, because civilian shooters suck and we hate you!

I belief both of these have some element of truth, at some point they did change over to the quick take down pivot pin (not sure of date), and later on they had the whole large pin/small pin shell game for mere mortals.

I am sure some Colt fan boys will chime in.  

BTW 2 of my ARs are in fact Colts.

Agree 100%!

Colt hates us, though not quite as much as H&K.

But remember this, Colt is believed to be the Holy Grail of the "Bow Before the Mil-Spec" crowd.
I to have colts. Two 6920 in the safe and I have owned many others with the stupid double sided flat head big screw.

Kool-Aid Kool-Ai,
Tastes great,
Wish we had some,
Can't wait!
Bill

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to send my stupid screw lower off to ADCO to have it set up for a detent. Then I could use it with other uppers if I so please.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually no, Mil-Spec hasn't changed. Colt's commercial specs have changed. Military rifles have been 0.250 since day one. Colt's commercial rifles used to be 0.315, but are now 0.250.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually no, Mil-Spec hasn't changed. Colt's commercial specs have changed. Military rifles have been 0.250 since day one. Colt's commercial rifles used to be 0.315, but are now 0.250.

But now their FCG pins are BIGGER thank life!

Oh for the life of me,
Bill

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My original comment was meant to drip in sarcasm, I guess that got lost in translation.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
ma96782,

Great link, wealth of information.
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
it was done so people that dont buy colt can have something to complain about and use as "proof" their non colt firearm is sooo much better.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top