Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 10:54:44 AM EDT
What exactly to M4 feed ramps do that the average rifle feed ramp doesn't do? I've read that their purpose is mostly related to full auto/burst fire weapons.  

Why do I want M4 Feed ramps in my next AR?
Do I NEED M4 ramps or do I just want them?

Can someone please explain? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They help if you shoot a lot of full-auto.

They also help with some of the alternative calibers, the 6.8 SPC cartridge feeds better in uppers/barrels with extended feed ramps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I look at them more as a bonus than a neccesity.  They can help improve feeding when shooting heavier loads.  I look at it this way, they surely don't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Extra tolerance for rounds that are fed low - poor magazines are the leading cause of AR malfunctions, and feed ramps can prevent a small number of those from occuring.

They're not a needed addon, but it's nice to have, and if there isn't a cost difference, they're better to have than not.

The ramps themselves are simply extended cuts on the upper receiver that are a continuation of the feed ramps on the barrel extension (See AR15Barrels.com for images) that are included in upper receivers from many manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing - after spending some time looking for barrels, it seems that most "off the shelf" barrels now come with M4 feed ramps, whether or not they are needed.  So you will probably need a receiver with M4 cuts if you want the receiver to match your barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If they can be lined up right and match perfectly to a particular upper and barrel, they are nice to have. If the barrel ramps do not match the upper ramps they can potentially reduce reliability. I`ve seen M4 cut barrel ramps hanging over the upper ramps creating a ledge for the rounds to get stuck on. I`ve also seen them off center, mostly because they just don`t match each other and can`t be lined up right.

I have 2 ARs with M4 cuts and they are OK, but having a couple bad experiences with the issues I mentioned has made M4 ramps a pet peeve of mine. I would rather not even have to deal with it. My other 3 ARs without them run fine. (none are FA)
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Neither one of the rifles you have listed in your poll come with M4 feedramps, unless you can pick up the Texas DPS Bushmaster from GTDistributors.  If your looking for M4 ramps, check out LMT, Colt, Noveske, BCM, Charles Daly and ADS rifles just to name a few.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
damn it...its thurs again

you dont need em; check tacked threads
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top