BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2008 10:12:12 PM EDT
After my brother saw my new Bushmaster he wanted one but couldn't afford it so he is looking at the DPMS Sportical. Any opinions?
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably in the top 5 list of worst looking factory AR's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, 3rd?
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and love it.  It will shoot the following groups at 100 yards from Steadyrest.
XM193--1 1/2''
HSM V-max--1 1/2"
Am Eagle 55 fmj--1"
BH 55 fmj--1 1/4"
PMC--1 1/2"

I feel it is a great gun.  More than what the price indicates.

Link Posted: 9/23/2008 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DPMS doesn't have the greatest reputation for reliability. suppose it depends on whether it'sa potential self defense gun or a shoot beer cans once in awhile gun. Personally I don't care for carbines with no front sight and the lack of a dust cover could be an issue depending on what he wants it for

www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/image.aspx?id=91&type=large

I do like the barrel profile. No brass deflector either I'm guessing not chrome lined

I am surprised that you, site staff, would bash DPMS, they obviously pay good money to advertise here (see DPMS icon above).

Anyways, I just finished a build using the same upper receiver and a lot of other DPMS parts. I like DPMS, I've never had a problem with there quality, however I handled one of those "pardus" stocks on a carbine at a show last week, it was so tight on the tube that I, a 200 pound body builder, had to use a lot of effort to extend it after I pushed it in. Others have reported them being loose, go figure.

As long as he gets the Sportical for a good price, it's a good gun.

BTW, I always wanted a tuber and was sadened to hear they had discontinued it before I could buy one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am surprised that you, site staff, would bash DPMS, they obviously pay good money to advertise here (see DPMS icon above).

LOL, so you're saying that since they are a sponsor the site staff should give them nothing but praise?

Btw how many shots where in those groups.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I am surprised that you, site staff, would bash DPMS, they obviously pay good money to advertise here (see DPMS icon above).hat

Maybe they should just not make comment either way....
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, so you're saying that since they are a sponsor the site staff should give them nothing but praise?

Why?
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Why take their money and let them advertise here if the people who own/run the site think their product sucks? I call hipocrit. I'm just saying, I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money just to have site staff stear folks away from my product.
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I am surprised that you, site staff, would bash DPMS, they obviously pay good money to advertise here (see DPMS icon above).hat

Why?

Why take their money and let them advertise here if the people who own/run the site think their product sucks?hipocrit. I'm just saying, I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money just to have site staff stear folks away from my product.

Agreed.  And if they said that it's the best there is, no one would give it much creedence because of the advertising dollars being earned.  The best thing would to be diplomatic and not make comment either way.  They have a right to their opinion, of course, but it would be better left unsaid.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The current issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN has a write-up on the sportical.  I'd advise him to save up some more money and buy an AR with a forged milspec upper.  That BCG needs a dust cover.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up one this weekend at the Gun show..  I walked past it three times but I kept coming back. I just could not pass up the price.   I was out the door for under  701.00 with 2 extra 30 round mags.  To tell you the truth I think this rifle is amazing.. not a flaw, blemish anywhere.  Inside and out it looks like solid shooter..  I just hope it shoots as good as it looks.   It was exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I own one couldn't pass up the price works flawlessly wish it had a dust cover.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one on lay-away at my local gun store and my bro purchased one outright at the same time. We went and shot it the following weekend and it's a nice firearm for the price. It will be my first AR style rifle and I view it as what they advertise it as: an entry-level AR. It is very accurate and great for home self defense. As far as the lack of a shell deflector is concerned, it ejected well out from the face of the shooter in fact, it ejects it a little farther than I would like but I figure I'll just trim the ejector spring a little and fix that. Don't wanna go "treasure hunting" for my brass if ya know what I mean! lol

As for the lack of a dust cover, I can't speak to that yet as I am just entering AR scene as I said before but really, if I am gonna trudge thru the wilderness in end-times or something then that's what My AK's are for. For a fun shooting gun at an entry level price I would say go for it! My plan is to get it and possibly at a later date get the 6.8 upper IF Obama-Lama-Ding-dong doesn't make the new AWB the first thing he put's his chicken scratch on. I only plan on using it for target and maybe a little hog hunting. Also, tell him that Scottsdale gun club's online store is selling AP4's for $999.00 http://www.sgcusa.com/
Good luck to all of us in the coming Year...God know's were gonna need it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Just to come back to this subject real quick.  i have taken this out 3 times shooting and its been a dream to shoot.  400 rounds of dirty wolf ammo and not a single mishap.   i would like a dust cover but i really don't miss it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Tell him to look for the DPMS M4 clone, they're out there, check RGUNS, they maybe instock.

To tell you the truth, thats more of a plinking rifle, at least with the clone he''ll feel that he has a more rounded rifle and wont worry about little bs that'll bug him like the dust cover.

Are those models supposed to contend with BMs carbon line?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a dpms M4 clone ( I guess that is what you would call it )
shoots everything I feed it .....  has been a great rifle
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a dpms M4 clone ( I guess that is what you would call it )shoots everything I feed it .....  has been a great rifle

Well, ever since hearing about Colt and their "Don't f*cking call that M4 looking thing an M4" deal, I've been trying to walk a fine line. I thought I heard that it was settled but I keep reading post where owners describe theirs as M4gereys. So, I don't know, all I know is, I don't want Colts Gestapo coming to my house and breaking things and intimidating me like Bill Gates did to Homer in that one episodes of the Simpsons.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DPMS doesn't have the greatest reputation for reliability. suppose it depends on whether it'sa potential self defense gun or a shoot beer cans once in awhile gun. Personally I don't care for carbines with no front sight and the lack of a dust cover could be an issue depending on what he wants it for

I do like the barrel profile. No brass deflector either I'm guessing not chrome lined

Anyways, I just finished a build using the same upper receiver and a lot of other DPMS parts. I like DPMS, I've never had a problem with there quality, however I handled one of those "pardus" stocks on a carbine at a show last week, it was so tight on the tube that I, a 200 pound body builder, had to use a lot of effort to extend it after I pushed it in. Others have reported them being loose, go figure.

BTW, I always wanted a tuber and was sadened to hear they had discontinued it before I could buy one.

I dont think aimless was "bashing" dpms at all. He was simply giving the op some things to keep in mind if he is interested in one. The fact that it is a very entry level AR without a front sight, shell deflector, or dust cover can be deal breakers to some. I used to own a DPMS and had very few problems with it, but it still had more problems with it than any of my others. It is fine for a paper puncher but I would never use a DPMS for self defense because I simply dont trust them enough. I would much rather spend the extra few hundred bucks for an RRA or S&W. Of course, I would also rather pay a few hundred bucks more than the RRA and get an lmt or colt too. It all just depends on what the AR will be used for. With the sportical, you really dont have any room to grow with it. It is so basic, that once you want to graduate to more than just shooting targets, it has reached its full potential and its time to get something new. If you go with something like the RRA, you can use it for target practice and you can use it for self/home defense. Once you get into the colts/lmts/noveskes, they will pretty much do anything you need them to (within the limits of a firearm). Sportical is not worth it imo.

For the record, I dont think you should be able to scrutinize site staff when you aren't even a paying member of this site yourself
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Perhaps he like me is not a member because of all the crap that comes from a lot of members and bashing done on the sight unless it is a RRA. No doubt the sportical will do just fine for what it is intended for. Ive seen crap from just about all the makers but just try to bash RRA and see what happens. If you think they are the bee's knee's just look at the sticky http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=282974 and ask why are so many people still having the problem yet no one seems to want to bring it up in the AR discussion forum but tuck it away in a sticky.So you and all you sycophants keep loving your RRA overpriced toys.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think aimless was "bashing" dpms at all. He was simply giving the op some things to keep in mind if he is interested in one. The fact that it is a very entry level AR without a front sight, shell deflector, or dust cover can be deal breakers to some. I used to own a DPMS and had very few problems with it, but it still had more problems with it than any of my others. It is fine for a paper puncher but I would never use a DPMS for self defense because I simply dont trust them enough. I would much rather spend the extra few hundred bucks for an RRA or S&W. Of course, I would also rather pay a few hundred bucks more than the RRA and get an lmt or colt too. It all just depends on what the AR will be used for. With the sportical, you really dont have any room to grow with it. It is so basic, that once you want to graduate to more than just shooting targets, it has reached its full potential and its time to get something new. If you go with something like the RRA, you can use it for target practice and you can use it for self/home defense. Once you get into the colts/lmts/noveskes, they will pretty much do anything you need them to (within the limits of a firearm). Sportical is not worth it imo.

For the record, I dont think you should be able to scrutinize site staff when you aren't even a paying member of this site yourself

How is the sporticle so basic that you after shooting targets it's reached its full potential?  I really would like to know seeing as DPMS sells the upper on its own and quite a few people around here have posted pics of rifles built with them.  Last time I checked it was just as modular as a upper with a dust cover and forward assist.  For $700 it's a good deal IMO, and you could upgrade the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, etc as need be and still come in at a respectable rate.  Not everyone needs or wants a colt/lmt/noveske (granted they are very nice) and just because it's an entry level model doesn't mean it's a pos and can't be upgraded.

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Perhaps he like me is not a member because of all the crap that comes from a lot of members and bashing done on the sight unless it is a RRA. No doubt the sportical will do just fine for what it is intended for. Ive seen crap from just about all the makers but just try to bash RRA and see what happens. If you think they are the bee's knee's just look at the sticky http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=282974 and ask why are so many people still having the problem yet no one seems to want to bring it up in the AR discussion forum but tuck it away in a sticky.So you and all you sycophants keep loving your RRA overpriced toys.

I absolutely agree and I am in NO WAY an RRA fanboy. I am actually the opposite. I think RRA makes some quality stuff, but the fanboys are the exact reason I don't own one. I've heard so much crap about rra's "fit and finish" I wanna puke. With that being said, I still think RRA makes higher quality stuff than DPMS. If anything qualifies as a "toy" i would think the sportical would fit that perfectly. I know my dpms panther lite fit that category. That's why it got traded for something better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#24]
You know i was watching the Magpul DVD AOTTC and those guys are running some high end stuff, bling bling optics, good ammo.... and i did see a few stovepipes and jams, misfeeds, double feeds, whatever.  I have taken my sportical out and run some crap through it as well as match grade stuff and so far,, NADA a problem.. my round count i think is around 800 or so.  For a Cheap rifle i think this is a deal and a half.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the sporticle so basic that you after shooting targets it's reached its full potential?  I really would like to know seeing as DPMS sells the upper on its own and quite a few people around here have posted pics of rifles built with them.  Last time I checked it was just as modular as a upper with a dust cover and forward assist.  For $700 it's a good deal IMO, and you could upgrade the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, etc as need be and still come in at a respectable rate.  Not everyone needs or wants a colt/lmt/noveske (granted they are very nice) and just because it's an entry level model doesn't mean it's a pos and can't be upgraded.

I'm sorry, but once you upgrade the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, etc... it is no longer the same gun. I am talking about the $700 factory platform. Once you start upgrading all that shit, then its the same as trading it up for something better. I would never drop 4 or 500 bucks on upgrading an entry level dpms when you could just buy an LMT to begin with. I will refine my original statement. The sportical is so basic that once you want to graduate from just shooting targets, it's current state has reached its full potential and its time to either get something new or upgrade all the important parts. The sportical is only worth it if it is being used for a target gun only.

"Whether you are buying your first AR rifle, or need an affordable yet accurate plinking gun, the Panther “Sportical”™ is for you."  -straight from the DPMS website. Maybe you should just argue with the designers as to its use
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I really wasn't arguing the manufactures intended use.  Maybe we're on a different page here.  The only point I was trying to make was that there is room to grow with it.  Sure I wouldn't completely trust it with my life in a combat situation and there are better options.  However, I was trying to point out that there is room to grow. You made it sound impossible and I didn't want the OP thinking so.   It IS possible to add better quality parts as well as any aftermarket accessories an owner would like.  I didn't want the original poster thinking that is he took it out of the box shot it at paper and wanted to change some things around he couldn't.  It is a range gun.   I do not agree that it has reached it's full potential in an out-of-the-box state.  I do agree that if you're going to dump hundreds of dollars into it in order to improve it's function that you would be better off looking to colt/lmt/etc.  Sorry if I wasn't clear enough and caused offense.  

-Malf
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#27]
To the op, sorry to get into an argument that hijacked your post. that was not my intention. If you think you are just going to use it for plinking or goofing off, then go for it. It will suit those needs very well. If you think that you may want to use it for more in the future, I would recommend spending the little extra cash now and get something like an LMT or Bravo Company. I just don't want you to buy something you are going to regret, like most all of us already have. But then again, its just one opinion from some stranger on the interwebs If you have any concerns on the reliability of different manufacturers, read the tacked thread "what parts break in a carbine course" under the AR discussions. Pat Rogers is one of the most respected guys around here and he really puts these guns to the test. He lays it out for everyone to see in that thread. I would recommend playing around in there for a little while. Or you could just ignore my opinion, like most people do
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
To the op, sorry to get into an argument that hijacked your post. that was not my intention. If you think you are just going to use it for plinking or goofing off, then go for it. It will suit those needs very well. If you think that you may want to use it for more in the future, I would recommend spending the little extra cash now and get something like an LMT or Bravo Company. I just don't want you to buy something you are going to regret, like most all of us already have. But then again, its just one opinion from some stranger on the interwebs If you have any concerns on the reliability of different manufacturers, read the tacked thread "what parts break in a carbine course" under the AR discussions. Pat Rogers is one of the most respected guys around here and he really puts these guns to the test. He lays it out for everyone to see in that thread. I would recommend playing around in there for a little while. Or you could just ignore my opinion, like most people do

This exactly.  I apologize as well for helping with the hijacking.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

-Malf
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really wasn't arguing the manufactures intended use.  Maybe we're on a different page here.  The only point I was trying to make was that there is room to grow with it.  Sure I wouldn't completely trust it with my life in a combat situation and there are better options.  However, I was trying to point out that there is room to grow. You made it sound impossible and I didn't want the OP thinking so.   It IS possible to add better quality parts as well as any aftermarket accessories an owner would like.  I didn't want the original poster thinking that is he took it out of the box shot it at paper and wanted to change some things around he couldn't.  It is a range gun.   I do not agree that it has reached it's full potential in an out-of-the-box state.  I do agree that if you're going to dump hundreds of dollars into it in order to improve it's function that you would be better off looking to colt/lmt/etc.  Sorry if I wasn't clear enough and caused offense.  

-Malf

I also think we may have been on different pages, my reading comprehension sucks sometimes. You are absolutely right, the sportical is very customizable and you can always add better quality parts later on, I just personally wouldn't. After reading this I understand where you are coming from much better. Internet Friends?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Of course! No harm intended.  BTW just finished looking at your build you posted...I think I'm almost done drooling.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks. It's awesome until reality kicks in and I have to figure out how to pay for it
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]

never had a problem with DPMS rifles, have shot a few.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
i just bought this

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142719055

650 is an awesome deal

can't wait to get it

i have a bcm upper rifle already so i wanted something cheap to shoot silver bear since my bcm is only brass
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Got one and had it for a while now great gun for the money and has been reliable. I use mine for coyote hunting and has been through some pretty crap weather between Illinois and Wisconsin fall and winters. Shoots great and always fires when i pull the trigger!! Heres some pics:

And heres is mine with my hunting buddy:

Oh and by the way I know alot of guys will bash this gun but I have put a good amount of rounds through it and it just keeps firing. I dont mean to sound like a smart ass but what do i need a dust cover for iam not in the jungle or desert and brass deflector who cares it spits the spent casing out just the same. If your on a tac team or other high speed gunner type than buy something else but if your like me who blasts more paper and plastic, once in a while a coyote, than this gun is great. Oh yeah another thing I just switched to a LaRue mount for my scope should have done that to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I've put over 500 rounds through mine so far and I haven't had a single hiccup with it other than the first time I pulled back the charging handle and then held it as the bolt moved forward. I have since learned that I don't need to baby it.It's my first AR and I'm no expert on them but I feel like it's money well spent. I also liked the fact that it was pretty basic and I can add whatever I want to it. With that being said though, I do wanna try out some other brands to see what all is out there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a left handed DPMS 20" SS bull barrel AR and it doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist, big deal. All it does is shoot and shoot accurately..... and of course, I would use it for self defense if needed and not worry one little bit.
Some really amusing posts on this posting...
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I've owned 2 (still have one) DPMS rifles. My AP4 has been flawless in over 3K rounds and is more accurate with 55 gr FMJ than my 'Tier 1' gun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I am not a fan of the Sportical. It has been the only AR to give me any trouble. I have shot a buddies DPMS AP4 and it worked fine. I ended up buying a DPMS AP4 after I finally had enough of the SPortical problems. The AP4 I have now I love and wouldnt trade it for anything else. I have heard other stories where owners of the Sportical love them. I think you would be happier if you just buy an AP4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Strange thread.........almost seems like a bunch of second accounts......
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
i have a dpms panther lite and 2 dpms barrels and using the slick side upper on a 24 inch barrel. the panther has about 3000 rounds through it although most of it is 22lr and has been very dependable. i would use it to defend myself before i would use my old winchester model 94 30/30. you can buy two sporticals for the price of a colt. if you have the money buy a colt and talk crap about dpms. if you dont, buy a sportical and have just as much fun as the guy with the colt. if the dust cover is an issue you can always change upper recievers. i like slick side uppers because i dont need a combat rifle. i also like dust covers so ive been looking at sun devil slick side uppers. anyhow, my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I second this statement.  Alot of very low post counts from people praising this rifle.  I'll also raise an eyebrow to this thread...
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this statement.  Alot of very low post counts from people praising this rifle.  I'll also raise an eyebrow to this thread...

+1 first thing i noticed
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#44]
My first ar was a dpms sportical, could not get it to run, it would not pull rounds off the mag (magpul)  after screwing with it I sold it and built a few Spikes, I could not be happier.  I would advise you to build something slowly, look out for good deals and you will be a lot happier.  Youll never regret buying quality, even if its just a paper puncher.  If you end up with the sportical, then hope you get a good one.  Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Honestly, I put together an AR with all mil spec upper with Lathar Walther barrel and spikes lower, sold it with a Pmag for $680, and i made $50 on the deal, put your own together, so much better then a dpms, and yes i have friend with experience with them and they all hate them and sold them for next to nothing....
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 first thing i noticed

Because post count means what?  Does having a higher post account make ones experiences more validated?
Here's a surprise, some of us spend less time online actually using our guns than online defending our purchase.
What I notice more is people talking shit about a product the only experience they have with it is reading about it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#47]
i have a dpms lo-pro.....works great and I love it.....dont hate me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 first thing i noticed

Because post count means what?  Does having a higher post account make ones experiences more validated?
Here's a surprise, some of us spend less time online actually using our guns than online defending our purchase.
What I notice more is people talking shit about a product the only experience they have with it is reading about it.

In my experience, on this forum, individuals who have held an account here for 5 or more years with 10,000+ posts tend to know a little bit more about what is quality due to their experience than individuals with >500 posts.  Just simple facts, but their are exceptions of course.    I highly doubt anyone who uses their guns so much that they can't get online and talk about it, are using a gun as stripped down as the one talked about in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 2:42:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 first thing i noticed

In my experience, on this forum, individuals who have held an account here for 5 or more years with 10,000+ posts tend to know a little bit more about what is quality due to their experience than individuals with >500 posts.  Just simple facts, but their are exceptions of course.    I highly doubt anyone who uses their guns so much that they can't get online and talk about it, are using a gun as stripped down as the one talked about in this thread.

Post count is less important than actual experience with the rifle in question.  In most cases, the folks who have responded with actual experience tell us enough to give us a feel for what weight we should give their experience.  For example, saying something like: '500 rounds through mine with no issues' tells us that one person is getting good results but has not yet put a lot of rounds through it.  That rifle could wind up to be a winner or a dog –– too early to tell.  What we do know is that it is not a dog yet.  I personally give more weight to an account like this coming from a guy with 13 posts than a post from a guy with 25,000 posts saying something like:  'its a POS.  Do it right the first time and buy a Colt'.  That person may have a high post count, and he might even have a lot of experience with ARs, but he has not conveyed that he has any actual experience with the rifle in question.

There is no reason to disparage a person or his account based on post count.  To do so is childish.  Just take what that person has to say and form your own opinion.

For what it is worth, I have one of these Sporticals and have put roughly 1700 rounds through it.  That is not a shit-ton of ammo through it, but I can tell you that it still has not given me a single hiccup.  It is surprisingly accurate, and a pure pleasure to shoot.  It may be my favorite rifle to bring to the range.  It would not be my first choice as a SHTF gun or a home defense gun, but I would use it in such situations with confidence –– based on my personal experience with that particular gun.  For anyone looking for a fun to shoot, inexpensive, reliable gun to bring to the range, do some hunting, and even put by the bed at night because you just don't know what might happen, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this rifle.  

Now, take what I have said and form your own opinion.  Leave my low post count out of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top