Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Page:  / 9
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2012 10:18:22 PM
[Last Edit: 8/15/2012 10:21:11 PM by ruertar]
Lots of photos. I did three of my lowers this afternoon –– one standard lower and two SR-15 lowers. Started with a taper tap and finished with a butt tap each time. This is an easy and satisfying mod!

amos1909
America Bless God, Because Only He Can Help Us!
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/10/2012 12:13:43 PM
Tag and great info!!!
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 2:21
crowboy
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/4/2013 8:43:21 PM
tag
Life Member of The 173d Airborne Brigade (SEP) Association - C / 1 / 503d PIR 173d Airborne Brigade ( SEP )
kaos
All around swell guy
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/6/2013 10:40:33 PM
[Last Edit: 1/6/2013 10:47:20 PM by kaos]

Originally Posted By WI57:
Works like a champ.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/KAC/0f64d8e5.jpg
Between you and ruertar on the next page, I want more details about what you guys accomplished with that plug aft of the safety spring hole.
I checked a few of my lowers after I decided I had no idea what that hole is.
The lowers I have stored as stripper/spares no gots that hole.
What's the story?
Deej86: "Piss off."
Mazeman: "I don't let my daughter watch the Smurfs because she's such a whore."
VictorUnit: "Bitterly I cling."
ltcolslade
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/7/2013 8:17:53 PM
Originally Posted By phrogge:
I picked up my 4/40 tap at Lowes. They had plenty. I also had to get a box of 100 screws.

Mcfadden-Dales... 7 bucks out the door, tap +5 setscrews
PiperLambie
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/23/2013 1:49:45 PM
Thanks to the OP for this little gem- I have saved it for future use. I really wish I would have seen this before the little bugger popped up while I was screwing on the buffer tube yesterday...would have prevented the bent spring I now have waiting to be replaced.
cj3waker
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:51:14 PM
anybody have a few set screws they want to sell? I cant find these anywhere, nor 8-32x1/8 for that matter
Bob_L
“Whoa camel! Whoa!”
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:42:46 PM
Originally Posted By kaos:

Originally Posted By WI57:
Works like a champ.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/gi57/KAC/0f64d8e5.jpg
Between you and ruertar on the next page, I want more details about what you guys accomplished with that plug aft of the safety spring hole.
I checked a few of my lowers after I decided I had no idea what that hole is.
The lowers I have stored as stripper/spares no gots that hole.
What's the story?

Ditto - I have no idea what that extra hole is.

-bob
Formerly Raeth on the forums. See this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/501006_What_should_I_do___old_or_current_arfcom_account_.html
ayan
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/6/2013 9:55:12 PM
Originally Posted By Bob_L:
I'm good friends with ruertar and I can answer for him: Those are Knight's Armament lowers which have the rear take down ping spring and detent under the grip instead of behind the receiver end plate. In those photos he's capturing the rear takedown spring by tapping the hole and screwing a 4-40 set screw in its place.
kaos
All around swell guy
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/7/2013 2:49:22 AM

Originally Posted By ayan:
Originally Posted By Bob_L:
I'm good friends with ruertar and I can answer for him: Those are Knight's Armament lowers which have the rear take down ping spring and detent under the grip instead of behind the receiver end plate. In those photos he's capturing the rear takedown spring by tapping the hole and screwing a 4-40 set screw in its place.
Thanks.
I kept looking at that pic trying to figure out how I'd missed seeing one of those all these years.
Then I went and compared my stuff, and I felt cheated out of a hole.

Deej86: "Piss off."
Mazeman: "I don't let my daughter watch the Smurfs because she's such a whore."
VictorUnit: "Bitterly I cling."
diggitybiggity
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2013 8:26:42 AM
I've read every thread in here and searched the internet... can someone explain what this spring actually does? Please don't flame me , I'm simply not schooled enough to know how this spring effects the weapons functionality.

Thanks

SIGSIG
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2013 9:52:05 AM
Originally Posted By diggitybiggity:
I've read every thread in here and searched the internet... can someone explain what this spring actually does? Please don't flame me , I'm simply not schooled enough to know how this spring effects the weapons functionality.

Thanks

The spring is to maintain the takedown pin and this modification prevents the spring to lunch into orbit when you remove the butt stock. Also check this out
Good info

diggitybiggity
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2013 11:05:04 AM

The spring is to maintain the takedown pin and this modification prevents the spring to lunch into orbit when you remove the butt stock. Also check this out
Good info

You're awesome, thank you so much!!

coryumph
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2013 1:43:17 PM
Thanks for this thread! Worked great, and saved me a lot of hassle.
SleeplessInTexas
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2013 5:02:45 PM
Originally Posted By cj3waker:
anybody have a few set screws they want to sell? I cant find these anywhere, nor 8-32x1/8 for that matter

Nearly any hobby shop which sells RC car and truck parts is highly likely to have them.
dhwave
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2013 6:57:22 PM
I got mine off of amazon, was a bit much for itty bitty screws but I didnt have to use a ton of gas hunting them down.
DemonoidPhenomenon
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/10/2013 3:36:11 PM
[Last Edit: 8/10/2013 3:37:19 PM by DemonoidPhenomenon]
Got the set screws at Ace Hardware and bought a complete SAE Tap & Die set at Harbor Freight figuring I'd use it again some time. Had to shell out 10$ for a precision screwdriver set at Home Depot that had the .050 needed.

Worked great on my Polymer lower. Go ahead and laugh now but it's kind of a fun experiment for a new build and second rifle. Polymer is very easy to tap!
Jakes1022
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 11:04:49 PM
[Last Edit: 8/16/2013 1:06:50 AM by Jakes1022]
Well guys,

After I went though the last 8 pages I decided that I had to do this. Except one post really cought my attention. See below. ( bolt catch screw) I'm not going to lie I have messed up some anodizing on a lower or two putting roll pins in so this seems like a great option for a stripped lower. The links didn't work for me so I did some searching and found TR Enabling. They have a great little kit with the bolt catch screw, set screw for the detent spring and the correct Allen wrench. I picked up 5 kits for $14.00. Now to find the 5-40 tap that is required for this kit. The set screws are a little bit bigger than 4-40 but I think it is a little bit nicer to have a bigger Allen head.

The problem I'm having is finding a 5-40 tap for less than $20. Or not in a kit. Any help would be appreciated????????

TR Enabling Kit

[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wildman3006:
REPLY to Powder_Burns 3/22/2010 post
yes someone has. i bought an 80% lower from UT ARMS and used an 'SI Defense Stainless Steel Bolt Catch Screw' as a replacement for the roll pin.
http://shop.si-defense.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SI%20SS-BOLT-CTCH-SCRW-2T.jpg

http://shop.si-defense.com/SI_Defense_Stainless_Steel_Bolt_Catch_Screw_p/si%20ss-bolt-ctch-scrw.htm

you thread the REARMOST ONLY bolt catch 'LUG' 6-32. this is where it gets messy. there is very little room between the existing hole in the lug and the sidewall of the receiver. the hole has to be enlarged with a #36 drill (.1065 dia) ONLY THRU THE REARMOST LUG. if you can find a 6" #36 drill it will make it easier. aircraft supply vendors have them, though pricey. i used a regular length one chucked up in a 'pin vice'. i drilled it by hand and you must be patient. when viewed from the top the centerline of the hand drilled hole was slightly off axis, MAYBE 1 degree. this was due to the body of the pin vice hitting the sidewall of the receiver and not letting me get perfectly inline with the existing hole. this turned out to be a good thing, though (will explain later). then i chucked up a 6-32 starter tap in the pin vice and again, by hand, threaded the hole until the point of the tap just touched the hole of the FORWARD lug. i then chucked up (in the pin vice) a BOTTOMING or BLIND 6-32 tap (or grind the point off a starter tap until it is full thread dia at the tip) and ran it thru the hole to finish the threads completely thru the REARMOST lug. YOU MUST BE VERY PATIENT WHEN TAPPING LIKE THIS - WORK SLOWLY AND KEEP THE TAP STRAIGHT AND SQUARE (when viewed from the side), AND CLEAN THE TAP AFTER EVERY QUARTER TURN. now for the 'good thing' explanation. the very slight 'misalignment' (when viewed from the top) put a slight 'bind' on the 'smooth' pin as it enters the FORWARD lug as you screw it in place, just enough to kinda lock it in place. again, this misalignment was VERY SMALL. hope this helps.

Jakes1022
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/15/2013 11:09:45 PM
[Last Edit: 8/16/2013 1:07:17 AM by Jakes1022]
Sorry about that. Link below.

TR Enabling kit
hurtback
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2013 10:28:00 AM
I was able to find a 4-40 tap for around $8 at my local Ace hardware. They also had the 4-40 set screw at $.30 each so I picked up 10 since they are so small and I have big gorilla mitts for hands.

This is a welcome mod on my lower since I change things on it more than my daughters change cloths on their barbies.
Balog
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/10/2013 3:23:56 PM
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 3:26:58 PM by Balog]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Jakes1022:

TR Enabling kit

Anyone know an alternate source for the bolt catch set screw with long extension like what is at the link? Don't really want to pay $7 for one screw. I suppose I could get a normal threaded set screw of the proper length and then just grind the threads down in the middle.

Edit: also, would normal wheel bearing grease be ok to use on the #4-40 set screw for the rear takedown detent?
Rivnut
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2014 12:01:58 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Balog:
Originally Posted By Jakes1022:

TR Enabling kit

Anyone know an alternate source for the bolt catch set screw with long extension like what is at the link? Don't really want to pay $7 for one screw. I suppose I could get a normal threaded set screw of the proper length and then just grind the threads down in the middle.

Edit: also, would normal wheel bearing grease be ok to use on the #4-40 set screw for the rear takedown detent?

Interested in this as well. The TR site is quoting me around 15 bucks in shipping 1 screw set, which seems a bit much.
pikie1
DEUS VULT
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2014 12:17:09 AM
Don't use OIL. WD40 is much better than oil for Aluminum.
Americas rejection of Christ. Has brought about our own destruction. Witness the transformation. We have all been rendered, as Slaves.
4runnerfreak
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2014 6:03:46 PM
I just bought a bag of 100x 4-40x1/8" set screws, if anyone is needing some.
I found them for $4 + Free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400178458457
Search albanycountyfasteners-ny on ebay if the link is dead.
gafirefighter20B
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/21/2014 2:43:00 PM
I just started my build and this was the first thing I did on my new lower. My question is for the guys who have done it. Did you use anti seize on the set screw? And if so what did you use? I don't plan to take the screw back out but if I do I would like the threads to stay in place. I have used anti seize for years for spark plugs in aluminum heads. Just about every compound I have seen from loctite and permatex has some amount of graphite in it (even the copper based).
Page:  / 9