Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:08:01 PM EDT
Thinking about adding a VLTOR CASV to my 14.5" build.  If you have this setup or pictures of this setup if you could post them I'd appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a heavy bitch... Why not Larue?
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it really that heavy?  I couldn't find a weight anywhere for it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
16 ounces.  Thats a half pound heavier than a Larue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
heres a 16" lmt i had with the vltor, good rail system if you need to clear a front sight, like an acog or similar:

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
they are nice in the sense that you can bolt them right on.  they arent too much heavier than other brands including larue.  11oz vs 16oz.  thats not much, at least not to me.  the daniel defense omega also bolts right up and is free floating.  it is about the lightest you will find. 8 qz.  i had a casv on my rifle before i went back to standard handguards and it was a nice piece of equipment.  if that is what you are set on you will be more than pleased with it
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The Larue includes the barrel nut, the VLTOR doesn't.  Add four ounces.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry old pic, Im aware there is no BUIS or trigger guard
The only complait I had and it wasnt a big one was it wouldnt co-witness my EO.

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The CASV-EL handguard and rail weighs 14. 1 oz in the plastic wrap, and the 5 rails, screws & allen wrenches weigh 5.3 oz in the plastic wrap.

Keep in mind the back 1/2 of the rail sits on top of the receiver so that would reduce the up-front weight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The CASV-EL handguard and rail weighs 14. 1 oz in the plastic wrap, and the 5 rails, screws & allen wrenches weigh 5.3 oz in the plastic wrap.

Keep in mind the back 1/2 of the rail sits on top of the receiver so that would reduce the up-front weight.

Still, a VIS includes the upper and weighs 21 ounces.  That's a much better deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
You would need a pretty tall front sight to co-witness with a EO Tech. Then it wouldn't work with your BUIS so the moral of the story is the EO Tech was never made to co-witness because of it's size.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, a VIS includes the upper and weighs 21 ounces.  That's a much better deal.

I guess if you have the coin to pay over 2X the price of the CASV for the VIS when the CASV gives you the same capability using a standard upper receiver then it's up to you.

It all depends on personal preference. I like the CASV because it really does feel light up front, plus you only add the rails you want. The rest of the front is streamlined & well-ventilated. Plus the bottom of of the chassis pivots down & off for cleaning.

I'll save some weight and bulk & stick with the CASV
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a CASV on my 6.8 and love it and i have a Daniel Defense on my 5.56 and wouldnt trade it.  It all comes down to what you want, if its for hunting by foot then go with the DD if for stand then go with Vltor (also Vltor if your not experiences with working with your firearm).  

I cant tell you about Larue till later this week when i put the rest of my new build together!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
CASV my friend. I really like mine........

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I love mine. I completely redid my bushmaster Mforgery and it was the biggest improvement. I can still hold the handguard comfortably even with my bi-pod mounted.

Also with the right buis it mounts on the upper and co-witnesses with my aimpoint perfectly.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top