AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Knights gear thread (Page 95 of 173)
Page / 173
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cartel-:
Stage 2 - Leupold Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm H27D

A special thank you is owed to the Gun Gallery in Jacksonville, FL for acquiring the optic in such a short amount of time and for superseding my every expectation in the customer service department.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/A7E9C7E8-9C72-47DD-81B4-31ED2F1F7526_zps9rfhjwad.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/43868FF3-C83F-413F-8700-B74FCD87E8BD_zpsinxdeuqn.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/3C4641C4-C0D5-4F87-897F-62B2406BF0E2_zps9r2hmf3t.jpg

Thank you for the kind remark!
View Quote
That is one gorgeous EMC. Exactly how I'd like one setup.
Is that one of the KAC Special Release's from a couple yrs. back?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Colt Mk18 Mod0 mg + KAC QDSS-NT4 suppressor ??
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By m6z:

Details?
View Quote
Sr15 lower
Bcm upper
6.5in SS V7 weapons barrel
Kac mod2 10in rail

Was looking for something short, this seems to fit the ticket.  I need to test fire it to make sure subs stabilize.  Then its time for final assembly and running it through its paces.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#4]
Known problem, but it sucks that not one on my three KAC trigger guards will fit this new stripped lower. Obviously, I'll be modifying one to fit, but that's not the point. I don't see how Knight's claims they stuck to the TDP with this lower, yet their own trigger guard doesn't fit, but fits every other lower I have without issue. Also there's other differences in the lower that don't fit in with the TDP. Not complaining, as I still love it, just pointing it out.

ETA: If anyone's looking for a stripped lower, PM me. I know a dealer that has some in stock, including consecutive numbers if you're looking for more than one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a NT-4 silencer, these are a few mounting options.

Left to right:
M4QD MAMS-Suitable for 14.5" barrels if wanting to do a pin/weld to bring barrel length over 16.
NT-4 Comp PN 93048
3T
PWS SM556
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#7]
Built the new stripped lower out today.

Colt lower parts kit minus pivot and takedown pins(CMMG), Geissele SSA-E, LMT receiver extension, Colt spring and H buffer, B5 Sopmod Enhanced stock, KAC trigger guard modified to fit, KAC ambi-safety, Magpul BAD lever, and MOE grip. I'll swap the takedown and pivot pins out for Colt once I get another set.

Also ordered a 13" URX4 MLOK and a Mega billet upper. Still need to decide on a 14.5" barrel and gas block. I'll probably use the new 6920 BCG and Mod 3 Gunfighter charging handle I've got collecting dust in the safe, along with the Surefire brake. Then either a set of KAC or MBUS Pro's and an MRO on a Larue mount.

Here's a couple pics for the sake of the thread.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

Colt lower parts kit minus pivot and takedown pins(CMMG), Geissele SSA-E, LMT receiver extension, Colt spring and H buffer, B5 Sopmod Enhanced stock, KAC trigger guard modified to fit, KAC ambi-safety, Magpul BAD lever, and MOE grip. I'll swap the takedown and pivot pins out for Colt once I get another set.

Also ordered a 13" URX4 MLOK and a Mega billet upper. Still need to decide on a 14.5" barrel and gas block. I'll probably use the new 6920 BCG and Mod 3 Gunfighter charging handle I've got collecting dust in the safe, along with the Surefire brake. Then either a set of KAC or MBUS Pro's and an MRO on a Larue mount.

https://s12.postimg.org/wr1pv9k7x/20170322_200802.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/wycbxejxr/20170322_201042.jpg
View Quote
Mann.. I wish I can get one of these SR-15 Lowers.. Damn YOU California lol.. Looks good there..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:18:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#11]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Mann.. I wish I can get one of these SR-15 Lowers.. Damn YOU California lol.. Looks good there..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

https://s12.postimg.org/wr1pv9k7x/20170322_200802.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/wycbxejxr/20170322_201042.jpg
Thanks, man. Yeah, I feel for you. California sucks. It's too bad you can't get one because I know a dealer that has some in stock right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Very nice.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#16]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
Thank you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Very nice.
Thank you.
Yes, sir.

Just picked up my 13" URX4 MLOK. Also just purchased a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. Got a Surefire Warcomp on the way to have pinned/welded to it. Should be a nice upper when it's finished.

Can't decide what upper to use. I have a MEGA billet upper and a standard forged M4 upper. Not sure how the billet upper would look on top of the non-ambi KAC lower. I mean I've put them together, but can't decide if they're a good pairing or not. Guess I'll just have to wait until the barrel and Warcomp come in so I can have it pinned/welded then mount the barrel and URX4 to each upper and see which I like best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Yes, sir.

Just picked up my 13" URX4 MLOK. Also just purchased a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. Got a Surefire Warcomp on the way to have pinned/welded to it. Should be a nice upper when it's finished.

Can't decide what upper to use. I have a MEGA billet upper and a standard forged M4 upper. Not sure how the billet upper would look on top of the non-ambi KAC lower. I mean I've put them together, but can't decide if they're a good pairing or not. Guess I'll just have to wait until the barrel and Warcomp come in so I can have it pinned/welded then mount the barrel and URX4 to each upper and see which I like best.
View Quote
I've always thought that these non-ambi lowers looked best with forged uppers instead of the billets.

The most recent picture I took today came together when a good friend of mine was selling a QD cup lower and we agreed on a fair price for it.  That upper had originally been on one of my stripped lowers (PN 22360), and there was a minor variance in how they aligned with each other, and on the color.  You can tell in this photo, and it was enough that I wasn't totally happy with it.

You can see the variance next to the bolt catch, and the solution was to find a legacy or mod1 lower and I did end up getting a good match.

What I'm trying to say here is I think if your stripped lower matches your forged upper in alignment well enough, go with that.  At least do a simple mockup with the URX4 to get a feel for the gun before the barrel arrives, and step back and take a look at for a few minutes.  Try a different upper, and then do it again.

One of them will probably look better to you than another.  Go with that one.  If none of them do, try a different upper receiver and get a feel for different manufacturers and how well they fit to the KAC lower.

It's a fun process really.  Then you find that combination, and it speaks to you.  Run with it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#19]
I've always thought that these non-ambi lowers looked best with forged uppers instead of the billets.

The most recent picture I took today came together when a good friend of mine was selling a QD cup lower and we agreed on a fair price for it.  That upper had originally been on one of my stripped lowers (PN 22360), and there was a minor variance in how they aligned with each other, and on the color.  You can tell in this photo, and it was enough that I wasn't totally happy with it.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3774/33134390126_852e75f816_k.jpg

You can see the variance next to the bolt catch, and the solution was to find a legacy or mod1 lower and I did end up getting a good match.

What I'm trying to say here is I think if your stripped lower matches your forged upper in alignment well enough, go with that.  At least do a simple mockup with the URX4 to get a feel for the gun before the barrel arrives, and step back and take a look at for a few minutes.  Try a different upper, and then do it again.

One of them will probably look better to you than another.  Go with that one.  If none of them do, try a different upper receiver and get a feel for different manufacturers and how well they fit to the KAC lower.

It's a fun process really.  Then you find that combination, and it speaks to you.  Run with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Yes, sir.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3774/33134390126_852e75f816_k.jpg

You're right, I know exactly what you mean.

I'm not really digging the look of the billet MEGA upper on top of the Knight's lower. Aside from the lines not matching very well, there's quite a difference in the appearance of the finish. The billet upper, as most high quality billet receivers do, has that slick, almost Teflon look to the anodizing, whereas the Anderson forged upper has an almost perfect finish match and the lines are VERY close.

You know how bone dry looking KAC anodizing is, even after a good oiling, well the Anderson upper has that same appearance.

I'm almost positive this is the upper I'll be using. In fact, I am positive. And before anyone calls putting an Anderson upper atop a Knight's lower blasphemy, get over it. The Anderson upper is in-spec, has unexpectedly nice M4 feed ramp cuts, and matches the non-ambi lowers lines and finish great. Besides, it doesn't say Anderson on it, so no one will be the wiser. Lol

Can't wait for the next couple days to come and go. The remaining components will all finally be here by Friday. I'm pretty sure I can get the Surefire pinned and welded on Saturday morning. Then I'll head back home to build the upper out and get it on the lower so I can get outside and zero the Trijicon and irons.

ETA: I'm liking the feel and design of the URX4. The integrated barrel nut is a great feature. Hopefully I won't have to spend too much time getting the gas block lined up. That's the only awkward part is having to drop the gas block down into place, line it up, and mount it, AFTER installing the handguard.

ETA2: Just placed an order with Ayan for a pack of his MLOK grip tape. I believe he calls it "Handguard Enhancement Tape". Also got my KAC MLOK Scout mount in today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#20]
Surprised you didn't use a KAC safety on the non-ambi lower. That's what I put on mine. I've got Battle Arms safeties on all my other lowers, but I felt this one deserved the Knight's safety with the scalloped right side selector lever. I like it. They seem to have a very light gray parkerized finish, but it looks great as it matches the LMT receiver extension well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Surprised you didn't use a KAC safety on the non-ambi lower. That's what I put on mine. I've got Battle Arms safeties on all my other lowers, but I felt this one deserved the Knight's safety with the scalloped right side selector lever. I like it. They seem to have a very light gray parkerized finish, but it looks great as it matches the LMT receiver extension well.
View Quote
I had considered it but the Noveske selector was off the old lower this upper had been on, and maintaining familiarity for my wife's rifle led me to keeping it.  She's going to get some trigger time with it soon since the weather has been awesome recently.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I had considered it but the Noveske selector was off the old lower this upper had been on, and maintaining familiarity for my wife's rifle led me to keeping it.  She's going to get some trigger time with it soon since the weather has been awesome recently.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Surprised you didn't use a KAC safety on the non-ambi lower. That's what I put on mine. I've got Battle Arms safeties on all my other lowers, but I felt this one deserved the Knight's safety with the scalloped right side selector lever. I like it. They seem to have a very light gray parkerized finish, but it looks great as it matches the LMT receiver extension well.
Gotcha. Yeah, great weather. Hoping it'll be nice range weather on Saturday in case this build gets finished.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#25]
You've now seen the light, Sir.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#26]
Got the BCG and Warcomp in today. SOCOM barrel should be here tomorrow. I wanna get this thing finished so I can get a pic up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#27]
My URX 2 is up in the EE if anyone is looking
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#30]
Finished a build using a Knight's stripped lower today.

14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel with pinned/Welded Surefire Warcomp. 13" URX4 MLOK.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#31]
@871JZ - Did you have to modify the rail in any way to screw in the gas block set screws?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#32]
@methical20 - read post and see pic at bottom

Originally Posted By methical20:
@871JZ - Did you have to modify the rail in any way to screw in the gas block set screws?
View Quote
Yes, I had to lengthen one of the MLOK slots on the bottom. It was about a 1/16" of an inch that needed to be removed in order for me to gain access to the set screw closest to the muzzle. Even with a ball end allen wrench, I just couldn't get enough contact between the wrench and the set screw to torque it down without removing some material from the slot. Just for reference, 14.5" carbine gas Colt SOCOM barrel with a Midwest Industries low-pro gas block. Nothing out of the ordinary, so not sure why Knight's didn't take this into consideration when designing the handguard. Shouldn't have to do this to install it. On the plus side, I do like the integrated barrel nut.

ETA: I didn't expect to have to modify the rail, as I thought I read previously that the 13" with a carbine gas system was fine, but it didn't work for me and I wasn't comfortable leaving the set screw alone with the small amount of torque I got on it before the modification.

This pic makes it look like there was plenty of room, but there wasn't. The screw is deeper in than it appears. I wouldn't have modded it if it wasn't necessary. After removing a tiny bit of material I was able to get an almost straight shot at the screw and torque it down. A block with closer screw spacing would've been ideal, but I had what I had and wasn't gonna wait another few days to get this finished. Shouldn't be necessary, but not that big a deal. Took two seconds with a Dremel.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I miss my Gen 2 FFL lower. Shouldn't have ever sold it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: I miss my Gen 2 FFL lower. Shouldn't have ever sold it.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about that.

That's my Gen3 lower.

Here's my Gen2.
I no longer have that upper.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Might as well show a Gen1 today

Another NT-4 compensator PN 93048 came in and took 2 shims to get timed properly.

Hopefully in about 8 weeks I get to bring home the proper taupe colored muzzle device for the above rifle and a few others
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Yes, I had to lengthen one of the MLOK slots on the bottom. It was about a 1/16" of an inch that needed to be removed in order for me to gain access to the set screw closest to the muzzle. Even with a ball end allen wrench, I just couldn't get enough contact between the wrench and the set screw to torque it down without removing some material from the slot. Just for reference, 14.5" carbine gas Colt SOCOM barrel with a Midwest Industries low-pro gas block. Nothing out of the ordinary, so not sure why Knight's didn't take this into consideration when designing the handguard. Shouldn't have to do this to install it. On the plus side, I do like the integrated barrel nut.

ETA: I didn't expect to have to modify the rail, as I thought I read previously that the 13" with a carbine gas system was fine, but it didn't work for me and I wasn't comfortable leaving the set screw alone with the small amount of torque I got on it before the modification.

This pic makes it look like there was plenty of room, but there wasn't. The screw is deeper in than it appears. I wouldn't have modded it if it wasn't necessary. After removing a tiny bit of material I was able to get an almost straight shot at the screw and torque it down. A block with closer screw spacing would've been ideal, but I had what I had and wasn't gonna wait another few days to get this finished. Shouldn't be necessary, but not that big a deal. Took two seconds with a Dremel.

https://s24.postimg.org/b4pnfgfxx/20170401_182019.jpg
View Quote
So was this purely because it was a carbine gas system?
Would I be alright with a midlength gas system?
I've been wanting to order his rail for an unfinished 14.5 upper i have.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chincy] [#38]
Glitch
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Chincy:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chincy:

https://s24.postimg.org/b4pnfgfxx/20170401_182019.jpg
I don't know if it was because it's a carbine gassed barrel or if it's the spacing of the set screws on my particular gas block. I'll have to compare it to my other low profile blocks and see if the screw spacing is any different. Either way, it's a simple fix. I wouldn't let it hold me back from using one. Very nice handguard.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:I don't know if it was because it's a carbine gassed barrel or if it's the spacing of the set screws on my particular gas block. I'll have to compare it to my other low profile blocks and see if the screw spacing is any different. Either way, it's a simple fix. I wouldn't let it hold me back from using one. Very nice handguard.
View Quote
KAC setscrews are much closer together, and would've worked in that application.

You mentioned it's a Colt barrel in your gun.  Did it ever have a FSB?  If so, do you think this Doublestar Race Block would've been a good choice to allow 2nd setscrew access in your MLOK rail?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:00:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toyoland66] [#41]
I don't think the KAC set screw gas block would work either.  It probably depends on the handguard length, but on my 10.75 the set screw opposite the gas port was blocked by rail, carbine length gas BCM ELW barrel.  I was just barely able to get it with a ball end Allen key.  Point being the location of that screw is dictated by the gas port location not by the spacing between screws on the gas block, which can vary.

I don't think the alignment of slots compared to the gas block was a design consideration for KAC.  The oem application of the urx4 rail is on mod 2 rifles that don't use set screw gas blocks.

Pic thread

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#42]

The SL-K closes fully on a LMT buffer tube with the KAC non-rotational sling swivel mount PN 22051-1
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#43]
KAC setscrews are much closer together, and would've worked in that application.

You mentioned it's a Colt barrel in your gun.  Did it ever have a FSB?  If so, do you think this Doublestar Race Block would've been a good choice to allow 2nd setscrew access in your MLOK rail?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ:I don't know if it was because it's a carbine gassed barrel or if it's the spacing of the set screws on my particular gas block. I'll have to compare it to my other low profile blocks and see if the screw spacing is any different. Either way, it's a simple fix. I wouldn't let it hold me back from using one. Very nice handguard.

Yes, my Colt barrel originally had a FSB. That Doublesrar gas block looks like it would've worked better because it's long enough that it would have allowed access to the set screw closest to the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#44]
Originally Posted By Toyoland66:
I don't think the KAC set screw gas block would work either.  It probably depends on the handguard length, but on my 10.75 the set screw opposite the gas port was blocked by rail, carbine length gas BCM ELW barrel.  I was just barely able to get it with a ball end Allen key.  Point being the location of that screw is dictated by the gas port location not by the spacing between screws on the gas block, which can vary.

I don't think the alignment of slots compared to the gas block was a design consideration for KAC.  The oem application of the urx4 rail is on mod 2 rifles that don't use set screw gas blocks.

Pic thread

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2810/33746581331_3ca2e7c5cf_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3945/33834904656_fd14860160_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2888/33746582091_71e2c0c232_c.jpg
View Quote
See, on my 13" URX4 MLOK it was the muzzle end set screw that was blocked and I was also using it with a carbine length gas system. Yours was the other set screw with the same length gas system, but a shorter rail. You would think that KAC would've taken this into consideration since selling these handguards separately, I'm sure many of them were being used on uppers that either weren't KAC or weren't using a KAC gas block with the closer screw spacing. Kinda odd if you ask me that they would totally disregard this altogether.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:41:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#45]
Placed my first order with Ayan last week and received it today. He calls it "Handguard Enhancement Tape" and has it available for MLOK and Keymod. Sweet name.

It's nice stuff. Cut cleanly, fits great, easy to install and can also be cut to fit. VERY grippy without being too aggressive for bare hands. Without gloves it's comfortable, but with gloves it provides a ridiculous amout of grip. Its cut very clean and even looks good on the handguard.

If I had one complaint, it would be that 6 of the 10 strips included were yellowed looking and the other 4 were a nice, deep black color. Almost like the adhesive was bleeding through or it had been laying in a smokers house for a couple years. Lol. Sounds weird, but that's how it looked. I think for close to $30 after shipping it should all look like the better half did, but it'll get dirty with use, anyway, so it is what it is. The yellowing doesn't affect anything, but my OCD.

Here's a couple pics of how it looks installed. The first pic is of the nicer stuff and the second pic shows the yellowish color compared to the nice black color in the middle.

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I really enjoy this thread, here is my gear
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/Silent_Shooter/IMG_0042.jpg
View Quote
 Duuude.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:I really enjoy this thread, here is my gear
View Quote
Yisssssssss.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By iluvmy86:
View Quote
Very nice.
Page / 173
Knights gear thread (Page 95 of 173)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top