Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Knights gear thread (Page 101 of 173)
Page / 173
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
Anyone use 64 grain gold dots in their sr15s? Thinking about getting some, was hoping to see if they work decently first.
View Quote
They work great out of my Mod 2 Carbine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Most excellent!

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
Most excellent!

Cheers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Most excellent!

Cheers
Very nice @mvician.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Most excellent!

Cheers
View All Quotes

Most excellent!

Cheers
Originally Posted By M4ger:

Very nice @mvician.
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
That was the weakest page 100 photodump I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:
How does the KAC two-stage compare to a great trigger such as a Geissele SSA/SSA-E or LaRue MBT? I've heard conflicting opinions of it. I'd like to try one out if the consensus is that it's a nice trigger.
View Quote
I have never shot a KAC trigger BUT I have let various people shoot my Colt 6920 with a Geissele SSA in it. I had two people tell me they have KAC triggers in their rifles and like the SSA better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
This is all I've got.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Just bought a take-off SR-15 upper to use with a stripped KAC lower. Should make for a nice receiver set.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#12]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
I have never shot a KAC trigger BUT I have let various people shoot my Colt 6920 with a Geissele SSA in it. I had two people tell me they have KAC triggers in their rifles and like the SSA better.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
How does the KAC two-stage compare to a great trigger such as a Geissele SSA/SSA-E or LaRue MBT? I've heard conflicting opinions of it. I'd like to try one out if the consensus is that it's a nice trigger.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'd still like to try one out just for fun. I'm trying to incorporate as many KAC parts into a build as possible, and if their trigger is something I like than I'd love to swap the current Geissele out for one.

Too bad I don't know anyone close to me that has one I could fondle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#13]
Nice use of the URX panels. I thought about trying a set on a URX4, but didn't want to add anything additional to the outside diameter of the handguard, so I used Ayan's grip tape on it. It's perfectly cut for the URX4 M-LOK and provides an amazing amount of grip, regardless of wet/dry hands.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Just bought a take-off SR-15 upper to use with a stripped KAC lower. Should make for a nice receiver set.

https://s1.postimg.org/niflm541b/Od9_Bxy_K.jpg
View Quote
You planning on using an E3 barrel and BCG?

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#15]

Cheers
View All Quotes

Cheers
@buddyhoohaw

No, unfortunately not. The gun is already built with a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel and Noveske upper. I'll be replacing the Noveske upper with the SR-15 upper.

For now I live in MD, and we're limited to heavy profile barrels, hence the SOCOM barrel. This started October 1, 2013. My AR's built prior to this date are barreled in many different configurations, but on AR's currently sold or built in the state, we must utilize an hbar. As you can imagine, this severely restricts us as far as barrel selection.

If I had the ability to use an E3 barrel/bolt, believe me, I'd be doing so. It doesn't help that I know where I can pick up a nice, low round count E3 barrel/BCG right now. Using the SR-15 lower, upper, URX4, and other KAC parts are as close as I can get for now. Trust me, it sucks being a poser.

This is the gun in it's current configuration. It'll be getting the SR-15 upper and a KAC buffer by the end of the week. Slowly adding/replacing parts with more KAC as I find them. I've also been contemplating sending the barrel out to Marvin for some dimpling, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

I live about three miles south of the Mason-Dixon line. Within the next year or two I'll be moving just north of the line into PA and I'll be free again. My first purchase will more than likely be a complete Mod 2 Carbine to celebrate my newfound freedom. I can't wait.

ETA: I've always enjoyed the pics of your rifles/builds. I've had a few of your guns as screensavers over the past few years. One of my favorites that I believe was yours was of an FDE cerakoted AR, with I believe if I remember correctly, a URX 3.1 and one of the old CMMG skeletonized .22LR mags. I think the rifle was laying on a deck or some wood planks. I loved that pic for some reason, but I lost it somehow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#16]

@buddyhoohaw

No, unfortunately not. The gun is already built with a 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel and Noveske upper. I'll be replacing the Noveske upper with the SR-15 upper.

For now I live in MD, and we're limited to heavy profile barrels, hence the SOCOM barrel. This started October 1, 2013. My AR's built prior to this date are barreled in many different configurations, but on AR's currently sold or built in the state, we must utilize an hbar. As you can imagine, this severely restricts us as far as barrel selection.

If I had the ability to use an E3 barrel/bolt, believe me, I'd be doing so. It doesn't help that I know where I can pick up a nice, low round count E3 barrel/BCG right now. Using the SR-15 lower, upper, URX4, and other KAC parts are as close as I can get for now. Trust me, it sucks being a poser.

This is the gun in it's current configuration. It'll be getting the SR-15 upper and a KAC buffer by the end of the week. Slowly adding/replacing parts with more KAC as I find them. I've also been contemplating sending the barrel out to Marvin for some dimpling, but I haven't made my mind up yet.

https://s3.postimg.org/ynt55qp4j/20170730_211133.jpg

I live about three miles south of the Mason-Dixon line. Within the next year or two I'll be moving just north of the line into PA and I'll be free again. My first purchase will more than likely be a complete Mod 2 Carbine to celebrate my newfound freedom. I can't wait.

ETA: I've always enjoyed the pics of your rifles/builds. I've had a few of your guns as screensavers over the past few years. One of my favorites that I believe was yours was of an FDE cerakoted AR, with I believe if I remember correctly, a URX 3.1 and one of the old CMMG skeletonized .22LR mags. I think the rifle was laying on a deck or some wood planks. I loved that pic for some reason, but I lost it somehow.
View Quote
Any clue how they enforce that BS law?

No implications being made, genuinely curious
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

View Quote
i want to know the reasoning behind heavy barrels only.

is it going to be less lethal by being a few ounces heavier?

politicians are seriously the dumbest people ever.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Less "portable", therefore less concealable? Who knows. We all know they're fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:00:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#19]

View All Quotes

@buddyhoohaw

They really can't, just a fear tactic that seems to work like a lot of other B.S. laws. Everyone just follows the law for fear of being caught breaking it and losing their rights.

It's kind of enforceable, but kind of not. All lowers purchased in the state have to be registered at the time of purchase, along with a seven day waiting period. This means they know exactly when you bought it. If it was after 10/1/13, don't get caught with anything but a heavy barreled upper. The other side to that is how will you get caught, but I follow the laws because I'm a law abiding citizen and we typically do that even when we don't agree with them. We fought it and lost, so now we have to live with it.

The funny thing is, if you purchase a stripped lower you have to register it and wait seven days, but if you purchase a complete heavy barreled rifle, there's no registration and there's nothing but a NICS check that takes 60 seconds, then you can walk out with your new AR. It's cash and carry. I guess the geniuses making our laws didn't realize a complete rifle still includes a lower. Makes a lot of sense, huh?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#20]

View All Quotes

We've been dealing with this crap for four years now and still haven't figured this one out.

When they first passed the new law, ALL AR's were banned. People pushed back and they gave us this hbar exemption. So it was much worse. All AK's are still banned along with M1A's, etc. Pretty much any great semi-auto centerfire rifle. And then they have a ridiculous feature test to cover the others they didn't ban by name.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]

@buddyhoohaw

View Quote
I grew up in MD and had no idea this new law was in effect; i'm glad to live in a state like South Carolina where we have reasonable gun laws.  Thanks for the compliments regarding my rifles but you maybe mistaking me for someone else as i've never owned an FDE URX3.1 or a CMMG skeletonized .22LR mag.  I'm off to google the mag as i'm curious what they look like. I look forward to seeing your build progress!

Cheers

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#22]

I grew up in MD and had no idea this new law was in effect; i'm glad to live in a state like South Carolina where we have reasonable gun laws.  Thanks for the compliments regarding my rifles but you maybe mistaking me for someone else as i've never owned an FDE URX3.1 or a CMMG skeletonized .22LR mag.  I'm off to google the mag as i'm curious what they look like. I look forward to seeing your build progress!

Cheers

Cheers
View Quote
@buddyhoohaw

Yeah, it sucks. You're in a great state now.

And sorry about the confusion. Maybe it was one of jboy's rifles?? I'll have to see if I can find the pic through Google. It was a beautiful rifle.

ETA: Here's a pic of the mag. I never saw many of them, but I liked the one I mentioned earlier as it was also cerakoted FDE to match the rifle.

ETA2: Found the one I was talking about! It was a URX3, not a 3.1 Any idea who's gun it is? Not sure why, but I've always found this thing to be a great looking build.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#23]

@buddyhoohaw

And sorry about the confusion. Maybe it was one of jboy's rifles?? I'll have to see if I can find the pic through Google. It was a beautiful rifle.

ETA: Here's a pic of the mag. I never saw many of them, but I liked the one I mentioned earlier as it was also cerakoted FDE to match the rifle.

https://s3.postimg.org/xvfbgvieb/Cmmg-other-dedicated-22.jpg

ETA2: Found the one I was talking about! It was a URX3, not a 3.1 Any idea who's gun it is? Not sure why, but I've always found this thing to be a great looking build.

https://s4.postimg.org/vjhz848zx/1a56164b7c4f25bf174784654adeb66a.jpg
View Quote
That looks like one of Buckjay's builds. He built some really really nice SR-15s; my favorite was his FDE Xmas Cheer build. I know who currently owns it and I've tried to talk him out of it but he ain't budging (I don't blame him).  

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:05:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#24]
That looks like one of Buckjay's builds. He built some really really nice SR-15s; my favorite was his FDE Xmas Cheer build. I know who currently owns it and I've tried to talk him out of it but he ain't budging (I don't blame him).  

Cheers
View All Quotes

@buddyhoohaw

https://s3.postimg.org/xvfbgvieb/Cmmg-other-dedicated-22.jpg

https://s4.postimg.org/vjhz848zx/1a56164b7c4f25bf174784654adeb66a.jpg

Cheers
You know, you're right. As soon as I read the name Buckjay it struck me. That's who's it was.

And good luck acquiring that Xmas Cheer build. I don't think I've seen it, but I'm sure it's beautiful. There's a few guys who's builds I'm always gravitating towards and he's definitely in the short list.

Does he post anymore? I don't feel like I've seen him around for a while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]
For anyone that hasn't seen the updated trigger guards for the stripped lower with long ears.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]
For anyone that hasn't seen the updated trigger guards for the stripped lower with long ears.

https://s4.postimg.org/51al01u25/20170731_112817.jpg
View Quote
Is that a band-aid laser engraved on the trigger guard??  If so, that's pretty funny.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: You know, you're right. As soon as I read the name Buckjay it struck me. That's who's it was.

And good luck acquiring that Xmas Cheer build. I don't think I've seen it, but I'm sure it's beautiful. There's a few guys who's builds I'm always gravitating towards and he's definitely in the short list.

View Quote
I sold him a Mod2 CH a couple months ago.

I agree he's done a lot of nice builds, and I've been really inspired by some of them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Is that a band-aid laser engraved on the trigger guard??  If so, that's pretty funny.

Cheers
View All Quotes

https://s4.postimg.org/51al01u25/20170731_112817.jpg

Cheers
Sure is. I found it funny, too. Too bad they didn't also include their logo on the bottom like on all my others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#29]

I agree he's done a lot of nice builds, and I've been really inspired by some of them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ: You know, you're right. As soon as I read the name Buckjay it struck me. That's who's it was.

Definitely. Very nice collection he must have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Last week was one for the books! A special thank you to five7guy for squaring me away on the dimpled MOD 1 Carbine upper + QD cup lower. It was a pleasure working with you, my friend!

As an added bonus, my 762 QDC CQB suppressor arrived at my dealer this past week.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:12:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#33]
Got the replacement updated trigger guard installed and now it fits without any interference, but rattles around like crazy. I'm thinking I might just swap the detent from the standard KAC trigger guard over to the updated one because it's visibly much larger in diameter than the replacement one is, so it may help to keep it from fitting so loosely.

Difference in diameter between two detents. Top is the new one, bottom is the old one.

ETA: Meant to post this in the stripped lower thread. Oh, well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cartel-:
Last week was one for the books! A special thank you to five7guy for squaring me away on the dimpled MOD 1 Carbine upper + QD cup lower. It was a pleasure working with you, my friend!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35896458890_e48f11095d_o.jpg

As an added bonus, my 762 QDC CQB suppressor arrived at my dealer this past week.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4298/36123270162_7eb3bebb76_o.jpg
View Quote
Will you be SBR'ing the new QD cup lower?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Will you be SBR'ing the new QD cup lower?
View Quote
That was the original plan but I am having second thoughts now. I ordered a stripped KAC lower that is scheduled to arrive at my dealer this week. I am strongly considering the option of designating the stripped lower as a pistol and submitting a F1 on it. That way, I can use the carbine upper meanwhile the paperwork is pending. What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Got the replacement updated trigger guard installed and now it fits without any interference, but rattles around like crazy. I'm thinking I might just swap the detent from the standard KAC trigger guard over to the updated one because it's visibly much larger in diameter than the replacement one is, so it may help to keep it from fitting so loosely.

https://s3.postimg.org/v1nbncorn/20170731_130728.jpg

Difference in diameter between two detents. Top is the new one, bottom is the old one.

https://s2.postimg.org/4eimiwejt/20170731_132600.jpg

View Quote
It's ok.  It works here
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cartel-: That was the original plan but I am having second thoughts now. I ordered a stripped KAC lower that is scheduled to arrive at my dealer this week. I am strongly considering the option of designating the stripped lower as a pistol and submitting a F1 on it. That way, I can use the carbine upper meanwhile the paperwork is pending. What are your thoughts?
View Quote
I think the QD cup lower getting a SBR stamp would be awesome.

Just making your new stripped SR-15 lower a pistol while the QD cup lower is pending is what I'd do.

The Mod1 Carbine dimpled upper will be beautiful on a QD cup lower.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#38]
It's ok.  It works here
View All Quotes

https://s3.postimg.org/v1nbncorn/20170731_130728.jpg

https://s2.postimg.org/4eimiwejt/20170731_132600.jpg

It's ok.  It works here
Damn it! Lol. I must've gotten the only jacked up replacement. You're the second guy that tells me his replacements are fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#39]

Just making your new stripped SR-15 lower a pistol while the QD cup lower is pending is what I'd do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cartel-: That was the original plan but I am having second thoughts now. I ordered a stripped KAC lower that is scheduled to arrive at my dealer this week. I am strongly considering the option of designating the stripped lower as a pistol and submitting a F1 on it. That way, I can use the carbine upper meanwhile the paperwork is pending. What are your thoughts?

Exactly what I thought after reading your post, Cartel. You can still use the carbine upper while you're waiting. Just use the stripped lower as a pistol until your stamp comes back on the QD cup lower. Then once the stamp is in, swap the upper to the QD cup lower and then do something fun with the stripped lower. Like M4 said, the QD cup with the new upper would be schweet!

ETA: I've got an even better idea. SBR BOTH lowers! The QD cup and the stripped! I'm sure someone has by now, but you'll be the first that I've heard of to SBR one of the new stripped lowers. Send your Form 1 in and keep using it as a pistol in the meantime until it comes back. That's what a cool guy would do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Damn it! Lol. I must've gotten the only jacked up replacement. You're the second guy that tells me his replacements are fine.
View Quote
I never got a replacement.  I made the ears work with a little machining.

I was saying your replacement work in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Very nice buddyhoohaw.

Just needs a CompM3 in a 98073.

Cool setup for sure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 871JZ: Damn it! Lol. I must've gotten the only jacked up replacement. You're the second guy that tells me his replacements are fine.

Oh, I gotcha now. I originally had one on there that I modified and it was fine, but I figured since Knight's made one just for these lowers I might as well take one. Couldn't say no to a free KAC part.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice and clean.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
You mean like this??  I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago and it's in great shape.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
You mean like this??  I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago and it's in great shape.  

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/SR-15/1feb0c59-4229-4d15-996c-47043bfa62a3_zpsznmvbzxb.jpg

Cheers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4ger:The Mod1 Carbine dimpled upper will be beautiful on a QD cup lower.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/SR-15/1feb0c59-4229-4d15-996c-47043bfa62a3_zpsznmvbzxb.jpg

Cheers
Very nice buddyhoohaw.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#48]
From a tour of KAC back in 2012

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
That's what I did, and it was well worth it, definitely my favorite rifle:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Very nice buddyhoohaw.
View Quote
Thanks!
Page / 173
Knights gear thread (Page 101 of 173)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top