Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 96 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:42:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grondike] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:16:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Beautiful, just beautiful.

ETA Jesus, just want to share this thought with you: I love the bare look of the A4-A2 so much. Just love it.
I am daily tempted to go back to that state, then do it for maybe 2 hours, stare at it, then go back to M5 look with scope 'n' all.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
For the people that purchased the separate halves of the P&S M5 from Numrich, do they include all the necessary hardware?

Upper half

Lower half
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
For the people that purchased the separate halves of the P&S M5 from Numrich, do they include all the necessary hardware?

Upper half

Lower half
View Quote
Also curious 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Upper half
Lower half
View Quote
If you mean - Does the upper rail half include the screw & clamp-bar assembly, then yes it does.
If you mean - Does either rail half include any rail cover panels or the vertical grip, then no it does not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just making sure.  found it odd they dont sell them together since the kit is out of stock 
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
If you mean - Does the upper rail half include the screw & clamp-bar assembly, then yes it does.
If you mean - Does either rail half include any rail cover panels or the vertical grip, then no it does not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Upper half
Lower half
Thank you.  I meant the former.  I'm sure I can scrounge up some salty KAC panels and a VG elsewhere.  Or just run it naked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#8]
Found these while in the process of correcting prior posts in this thread. Kind of pisses me off seeing how the navy neglects it weapons & training programs:

(right-click on the image & open it in a new tab or window in order to see the original full-sized image)
In this first pic - the upper rail is installed improperly and is about to pop completely free of the weapon. Also note the use of the absolutely ancient (pitted) rebuilt M16A1 lower receiver being used:

(right-click on the image & open it in a new tab or window in order to see the original full-sized image)
In this pic, note the completely rusted rear sling mount & upper rail retention screw, as well as the fact that the carry-handle is only half-mounted/mounted too far forward (there isn't even a slot for the front bolt to rest in when the handle is mounted that far forward):

Just saddens my heart to see these weapons neglected so...

On the plus side (if there is one), I have now fixed/replaced all the photos possible of my prior posts that were broken in this thread since Photobucket decided to go full retard, and thus, I can now get back to completing the Sling & Stock Pouch posts back on page 90.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#9]
Also Found this old Army A4 training pic which demonstrates the use of an M68 (Aimpoint Comp M2) optic & Matech rear buis on an M16A4:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
BFG Vickers standard issue NSN sling arrived today

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Also Found this old Army A4 training pic which demonstrates the use of an M68 (Aimpoint Comp M2) optic & Matech rear buis on an M16A4:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/1000w_q95-285673.JPG
View Quote
I know it's silly, but I love that setup. I've got a M2 on my A4gery set up and it's tons of fun. I know the ACOG make more sense, but I like my close quarters battle musket.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Any good deals on the vickers slings? Or a GI issue 2 point? I have a garand sling and a Magpul sling. I really dont need a third sling for 75 bucks unless you guys say its that awesome
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:13:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lafmedic1] [#13]
KAC rails keep working loose and I need some 9 panels it looks like to cover the side front and too . P and S rail from Numrich was brand new condition and only has a very small wobble on bottom . Still waiting on matech sight and stock pouch . Will be swapping to an aero lower soon. Not a bad complete upper for 245 otd from del ton either!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]
You mean the KAC covers are sliding? They shouldn't be able to, if the locking tab is snapped in place. You may have to play with it to get it to lock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
KAC rails keep working loose and I need some 9 panels it looks like to cover the side front and too . P and S rail from Numrich was brand new condition and only has a very small wobble on bottom . Still waiting on matech sight and stock pouch . Will be swapping to an aero lower soon. Not a bad complete upper for 245 otd from del ton either!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/IMG_3363-289304.JPG
View Quote

You can put a small piece of electrical tape on the inside of the cover.

You can also try to gently bend outward the little metal clip. It might not work well on older rail covers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]
the tape will keep it in place even if the clip is not locked? And by small you mean a 1 or 2 inch piece in the middle or on the end?   Im worried in gunna loose one
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#17]
the tape will keep it in place even if the clip is not locked? And by small you mean a 1 or 2 inch piece in the middle or on the end?   Im worried in gunna loose one
View Quote
Cut like two small pieces maybe just like 1/4" by 1/4". Years ago I had some really old and beat the fuck KAC covers, they stayed in place for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#18]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/IMG_3363-289304.JPG
View Quote
A1 stock, right?  

Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#19]
KAC rails keep working loose and I need some 9 panels it looks like to cover the side front and top . P and S rail from Numrich was brand new condition and only has a very small wobble on bottom . Still waiting on matech sight and stock pouch . Will be swapping to an aero lower soon. Not a bad complete upper for 245 otd from del ton either!
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
First off - Gratz on getting yourself an M16A4 clone... good job.

So now, a few constructive pointers...
Unless the weapon is being stored in an M12 rifle rack, the carry handle should normally be mounted 1 slot forward from what you have pictured (front of the carry handle should be lined up with the front of the receiver).

As for the cover panels on the rail, this is what normally comes with the military's KAC M5 rail set:
Attachment Attached File

There are 8 places on the rails where the cover-clips can lock onto the rail (basically the extreme front & back most slots of each side, top, and bottom rail)
Covers which are mounted anywhere else, will typically slide around during use (because there are not cutouts for the cover-clips to lock into).
You should also be aware that KAC now recommends not using any top rail covers if the weapon is to see extended periods of firing in order to lessen potential overheating issues, as well as to provide
easier mounting of top-rail accessories when receiver-mounted optics (Acog/BUIS) are in place.

As for slings, there are many choices (see the top of page 90 for a list of the majority of these),
though I really can't say enough good things about the BFG NSN Vikers 2-point slings as they truly are outstanding,
and are among the more adaptable slings to use with various stock pouches.

Hope this helps you,
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#20]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
A1 stock, right?
View Quote
Looks more like an A1 butt plate mounted onto an A2 stock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#21]

A1 stock, right?  

View Quote
Why is his carry handle 1 slot too far aft?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:

Why is his carry handle 1 slot too far aft?
View Quote
This is usually because they forget to return the carry handle to it's proper position after removing it from an M12 Weapon's rack. (The handle must be moved one slot toward the rear in order for the locking bar to close on the weapon when it is stored)
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]

This is usually because they forget to return the carry handle to it's proper position after removing it from an M12 Weapon's rack. (The handle must be moved one slot toward the rear in order for the locking bar to close on the weapon when it is stored)
View Quote
I don't have a M12 rack(yet), learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#24]
You know what though, I actually like it in that position.  When I use my CCH on a carbine I move it 1 further back like that.  It doesn't look as funky as a whole carry handle.  But I like the sight picture better.  Well, at least on a carbine I do.  I don't have an A4 to know if I'd like it for a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#25]
You know what though, I actually like it in that position.  When I use my CCH on a carbine I move it 1 further back like that.  It doesn't look as funky as a whole carry handle.  But I like the sight picture better.  Well, at least on a carbine I do. I don't have an A4 to know if I'd like it for a rifle.
View Quote
What!....What!... WWHHHAATT!?......You got rid of your A4!?

Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Found these while in the process of correcting prior posts in this thread. Kind of pisses me off seeing how the navy neglects it weapons & training programs:

In this first pic - the upper rail is installed improperly and is about to pop completely free of the weapon. Also note the use of the absolutely ancient (pitted) rebuilt M16A1 lower receiver being used:
https://i.imgur.com/ECUV9aU.jpg

In this pic, note the completely rusted rear sling mount & upper rail retention screw, as well as the fact that the carry-handle is only half-mounted/mounted too far forward (there isn't even a slot for the front bolt to rest in when the handle is mounted that far forward):
https://i.imgur.com/2TudvkS.jpg

Just saddens my heart to see these weapons neglected so...

On the plus side (if there is one), I have now fixed/replaced all the photos possible of my prior posts that were broken in this thread since Photobucket decided to go full retard, and thus, I can now get back to completing the Sling & Stock Pouch posts back on page 90.
FlDiveCop71
View Quote
The "pitted" lower you remark on, isn't actually pitted. If you look at the picture, the hammer, trigger, and sear pins, and the buffer tube all have the same coating applied to them that the lower is coated with. Almost looks like some type of rhinoline coating.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#27]
Originally Posted By maleante:
The "pitted" lower you remark on, isn't actually pitted. If you look at the picture, the hammer, trigger, and sear pins, and the buffer tube all have the same coating applied to them that the lower is coated with. Almost looks like some type of rhinoline coating.
View Quote
Actually... It is a form of pitting, as that re-tasked M16A1 lower has had it's original anodizing first chemically stripped off & then been re-anodized in the standard Type II (black) hard-coat. You can tell this by the partially visible Depot-Level date code (8 83) stamped onto the side of the mag well. This process was applied to many M16A1 lowers and is most often found in early Mk18 & Mk12 weapons. The fact that this particular receiver has been yet again re-tasked now as an M16A4 lower is just (IMO) a further indication of the navy's apparent lack of willingness or ability to keep up with it's individual weapons training programs, but then again, I'm probably just a little biased being an ex-navy veteran master-at-arms who has a well-known deep-felt fondness & soft-spot for the M16A4 in particular.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#28]

What!....What!... WWHHHAATT!?......You got rid of your A4!?

View Quote
You have me confused with someone.  I never had one.  I have an A2 though and it's great.  I do wish I had an A4......  Not sure if I have a good reason though, since I have an A2.   But personally I'd like all the rifles, just to have them.  A1,2, and 4.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:14:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#29]
You have me confused with someone.  I never had one.  I have an A2 though and it's great.  I do wish I had an A4......  Not sure if I have a good reason though, since I have an A2.   But personally I'd like all the rifles, just to have them.  A1,2, and 4.
View Quote
Hmm... I could have sworn I knew all the A4 players in this thread & that you were among them. I guess all I can really say to that then is:
CHOP! CHOP! Mister!... Because you KNOW that you'll never be complete until you actually have one!

On a more serious note... Log out of AR15.com & then Log back in.

...& welcome to Team.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#30]

Hmm... I could have sworn I knew all the A4 players in this thread & that you were among them. I guess all I can really say to that then is:
CHOP! CHOP! Mister!... Because you KNOW that you'll never be complete until you actually have one!

On a more serious note... Log out of AR15.com & then Log back in.

...& welcome to Team.
FlDiveCop71
View Quote
DiveCop, JJ is a good 'un.
He's a classic AR15 guy all the way - hope he's willing to take the plunge one of these days and go A4 as well.

He got an original Colt A2 (sporter) and a Colt M4 as well, he's well equipped. 
See you soon here - hopefully JJ!
What you could simply do (I'm thinking out loud) could be for you to just get a Colt A4 upper and go back and forth A2 to A4 thanks to your existing A2 lower.

I know your A2 is Colt grey (my favorite) so it would not quite fit in well with the newer black anodize of A4s, but still.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#31]
What the....  FlDiveCop71.....  Seriously.....?????  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Wow, that is awful nice.   AMAZING!!!!!!!

I keep faking you guys out.  SOLODALLAS, my M4gery is actually an RRA. (thanks for the compliment btw and back at you)  Not a Colt.  I wish it was a 6920.  Although I have to say, I think that M4gery is the most accurate AR I've ever owned.  Although I've yet to quantify that at 100 yards from the bench.  But when I shoot it at closer range it makes tiny groups without even trying.  And despite that the front sight is blurry.  LOL.  

I was born in 72, maybe that gets me some points.  

But yes, an A4 would be nice.  And yes, I could just do a different upper and slap it on my A2 lower.  Another thing is that I keep debating about putting a fixed stock on my recce because it makes it easier to shoot groups from prone or the bench.  And I have my Colt A2 stock just sitting there because I put an A1 on my A2.  I would just need a rifle extension tube and buffer and spring.   I wouldn't mind another A2 buttplate either as I prefer it and put it on my A1 stock on the A2 rifle.  

So.......  I just lurk enough and post enough pics from the internet that I probably deceived you guys.      I wish I had an ACOG too......   I think my next optic is going to be a PA micro......  

Wrong thread but I figured I need to clarify my AR for you:

My Colt A2:

My Recce:

My M4gery, although that upper is on a different lower at present:

Those are my only AR's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#32]
JJ, 'it don't matter' what brand we have. You are a classic guy 100% and that's that.
PS Me I am a class '68, so not much older than you.

Upward and onward, brothers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Question for you A4 gurus......

How much does a set of KAC rails weigh and how much does the standard handguards weigh?  I have a buddy give me s set of PSA regular rifle handguards that I'm debating on attaching a rail too, but they're kind of fatter than my colt ones (on my A2 of course) and I'm not sure I want that.  How much do the KAC rails cost too?   Would like to mount a light properly.  Possibly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#34]

How much does a set of KAC rails weigh and how much does the standard handguards weigh?  I have a buddy give me s set of PSA regular rifle handguards that I'm debating on attaching a rail too, but they're kind of fatter than my colt ones (on my A2 of course) and I'm not sure I want that.  How much do the KAC rails cost too?   Would like to mount a light properly.  Possibly.
View Quote
Couldn't tell you on the weight numbers wise but they're made from 6061 aluminum so they're fairly light (plus weight of hardware) and used M5 RAS' tend to go for $100-$120 bucks. Deals can be had tho, I've seen them as low as 75.

I know money is tight but I'd say 100 percent worth it compared to standard handguards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
The KAC rail weights like 1lb and I believe that USGI A2 type hand guards weigh like 11oz.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#36]
Question for you A4 gurus...
View Quote
A set of standard handguards (USGI/thinner/A2-type) weighs in at right @ 7-9oz. A complete KAC M5 rail with vertical fore grip & cover panels weighs in at @ 1 pound 6.4oz., so roughly a pound more than standard guards. However, the extra weight up front does tend to steady out muzzle rise, enabling for faster in-line follow-up shots at the cost of slightly slower lateral target transfer speed (ability to quickly move the muzzle to the left or right). Through regular weapon training & basic exercise, natural increase in upper body strength will help to compensate for this as well as to further improve your follow-up speed & accuracy, as I'm sure most any freshly out-of-boot Marine can attest.

As for cost, I fairly regularly am able to obtain a complete (new or new-old-stock) standard KAC M5 RAS Mil-pack for right @ $150, with a best-ever obtained price of $75.
For the same (new or new-old-stock M5 RAS Mil-Pack) though of P&S brand, my average obtained price has been from $87-$125, though in my opinion - the KAC brand, is a far superior product.

Hope this helps you...
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I use my recce without any panels.  I prefer less weight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#38]
Picture bump (older configuration, cleaner rifle)

Colt-Nodak M16A4 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#39]

A set of standard handguards (USGI/thinner/A2-type) weighs in at right @ 7-9oz. A complete KAC M5 rail with vertical fore grip & cover panels weighs in at @ 1 pound 6.4oz., so roughly a pound more than standard guards. However, the extra weight up front does tend to steady out muzzle rise, enabling for faster in-line follow-up shots at the cost of slightly slower lateral target transfer speed (ability to quickly move the muzzle to the left or right). Through regular weapon training & basic exercise, natural increase in upper body strength will help to compensate for this as well as to further improve your follow-up speed & accuracy, as I'm sure most any freshly out-of-boot Marine can attest.

As for cost, I fairly regularly am able to obtain a complete (new or new-old-stock) standard KAC M5 RAS Mil-pack for right @ $150, with a best-ever obtained price of $75.
For the same (new or new-old-stock M5 RAS Mil-Pack) though of P&S brand, my average obtained price has been from $87-$125, though in my opinion - the KAC brand, is a far superior product.

Hope this helps you...
FlDiveCop71
View Quote
I never thought about that. I wonder if the drill instructors have adjusted their training to account for the heavier rifles.

We would have to pinch the fsb and pull/hold the charging handle to the rear untill they were satisfied. Add in the acog and that's another 2lbs helds out at arm's length.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#40]
A4 Close up.
One of the things that I like about this particular one - which is my third A4 (sold the previous two) is the texture of the anodizing. Top is Colt (new), bottom was straight from Nodak Spud.

Yet, they matched (intentionally or not, unknown) the Colt finish. I mean, it seems to be the same rifle.
And the texture is truly velvet like - I had seen it on another Colt of mine (an M4) and I truly love this effect. 

A4 Close up
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I think that's why my A2's action is so smooth.  They know how to do the finish smooth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a question.
why the colored tape on some of the stocks at times?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
I have a question.
why the colored tape on some of the stocks at times?
View Quote
They are in Recruit Training, so in many cases it is either Battalion, Platoon, Recruit identification.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By USMC88-93:
They are in Recruit Training, so in many cases it is either Battalion, Platoon, Recruit identification.
View Quote
Semper Fidelis!
(thanks)
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I cant afford an Acog yet, is it weird to just run the Matec by its self?
Also finally got all the rail covers I needed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quite frankly, there are days where I like it better with just the backup iron sight. No scope.
I mean, ACOGs are cool - dayum I think I have 5 of them - but I just love the simplicity and lightness of the bare thing. And it works. 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quite frankly, there are days where I like it better with just the backup iron sight. No scope.
I mean, ACOGs are cool - dayum I think I have 5 of them - but I just love the simplicity and lightness of the bare thing. And it works. 
View Quote
Yes, but aren't most of yours different models?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
I would think just the matech would make for a very handy feeling / balancing rifle.  I've never used one to know how good I'd shoot with it.  I'm used to having the choice of ghostring or small ap.    But man you get rid of about 7-8 ounces by going from the carry handle to the matech.
Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 96 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top