Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 219
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
@twitchy

Sent you an IM with the link to the barrel I'm using. Don't want to post outside links.
View Quote
Got it.  I thought I was going crazy for a moment.

Just realized our barrels are different.  Mine has no step/profile in front of the gas block.  It steps up to .750" for the gas block and then steps down to .725" immediately in front of the block until the muzzle.

Mine is also drilled (laterally) to pin the gas block on, in addition to the set screws.  Marked 5.56 7TP with the Noveske symbol.  I got mine direct from Noveske a long time ago and they must has reprofiled the barrels since then.

The only way for the collar to index properly on mine would be to make a sheath (or spacer like the additional gas block) that butts against the functioning gas block.

Maybe I'll just shut up and try it out with the additional gas block as a spacer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Camo it like J's Mk18. That usual tan laundry bag camo but with some urban Grey. Looks so good!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Gangster!
Thank you sir! I'm debating on what colors, I'm leaning heavily towards snow camo
Camo it like J's Mk18. That usual tan laundry bag camo but with some urban Grey. Looks so good!
Yeah Tan Obliterating Compound and grey make for a good combo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TheManimal:
March Optics offers a 1-10x24. I've never looked through one so I can't speak as to how nice the glass is, but I bet we'll see more 1-10s start popping up before 2020.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheManimal:
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Originally Posted By chenault:

It's on their website.

It will take a lot to make me switch from my Burris, especially if they price this thing $2000 plus
$17XX for the NX8 and $27XX for the ATACR. Cool optics but I like my larger exit pupil and more forgiving eye box. When a 1-10x42 type optic finally hits the market I’ll be game.
March Optics offers a 1-10x24. I've never looked through one so I can't speak as to how nice the glass is, but I bet we'll see more 1-10s start popping up before 2020.
10x with only a 24mm objective?  Terrible exit pupil.  I'll pass but would seriously consider 1-10x42 with good glass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MS556:

10x with only a 24mm objective?  Terrible exit pupil.  I'll pass but would seriously consider 1-10x42 with good glass.
View Quote
Agreed.  That would be something.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
Originally Posted By MS556:

Ideal recce optic. It’ll happen at some point.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:

Just realized our barrels are different.  Mine has no step/profile in front of the gas block.  It steps up to .750" for the gas block and then steps down to .725" immediately in front of the block until the muzzle.

Mine is also drilled (laterally) to pin the gas block on, in addition to the set screws.  Marked 5.56 7TP with the Noveske symbol.  I got mine direct from Noveske a long time ago and they must has reprofiled the barrels since then.

The only way for the collar to index properly on mine would be to make a sheath (or spacer like the additional gas block) that butts against the functioning gas block.

Maybe I'll just shut up and try it out with the additional gas block as a spacer.
View Quote
You could always get the barrel reprofiled and a custom collar made. I did that with a Lilja barrel for my Mod-H and it turned out great.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:

View Quote
I’m not sure what the deal is with the barrel I got. Every Noveske Barrel I have ever had has had the factory gas block installed with the the block cross pinned. This is the first one I have ever seen stripped. It came in a plastic mesh sleeve with caps and wrapped in brown paper. There was no commercial packaging at all. So I’m wondering if it may be a contract barrel or something.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]

I’m not sure what the deal is with the barrel I got. Every Noveske Barrel I have ever had has had the factory gas block installed with the the block cross pinned. This is the first one I have ever seen stripped. It came in a plastic mesh sleeve with caps and wrapped in brown paper. There was no commercial packaging at all. So I’m wondering if it may be a contract barrel or something.
View Quote
My last Noveske Infidel barrel came that exact way too. Weird.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Recceism

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Zeroed the vortex today.

Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bullseye_Doc_Holiday:
Recceism

https://i.imgur.com/Ngg2k2P.jpg
View Quote
That rifle is so hawt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Zeroed the vortex today.

https://i.imgur.com/i7Uh0OU.jpg
View Quote
@Eyekahn

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#13]
Eventually I need to get a different stock, but for now ammo is much higher on the list.  I think I have ~250rds loaded in mags but that's it.
That said, minus a few parts this is the rifle that Arfcom built.  I was gifted a VX-III 3.5-10x50mm by a good friend of mine today, so I'm giving my brother the 2-7x33 long eye relief scope that was on it.

Now I just need the docs to clear me medically so I can go shooting to zero and group it.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Eventually I need to get a different stock, but for now ammo is much higher on the list.  I think I have ~250rds loaded in mags but that's it.
That said, minus a few parts this is the rifle that Arfcom built.  I was gifted a VX-III 3.5-10x50mm by a good friend of mine today, so I'm giving my brother the 2-7x33 long eye relief scope that was on it.

Now I just need the docs to clear me medically so I can go shooting to zero and group it.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/DSC_1319-404766.JPG
View Quote
She's a beauty...
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
She's a beauty...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207715/DSC_1319-404766.JPG
She's a beauty...
 Thank you for the barrel and other goodies.  Once the docs clear me to shoot and the weather is decent, I'll get a range report to you.  But considering potential seizures, I can see why shooting right now can be bad.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Whats the idea behind running a helmet light on the rail? Just there for navigation?
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 8:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#17]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Whats the idea behind running a helmet light on the rail? Just there for navigation?
View Quote
Pretty much, yeah.  That and I don’t have the funds for a dedicated weapon light.  I’ll get a streamlight down the road, but saving for ammo is more important than replacing a light I’ve had for years.  For general poking around in the dark it works.  I’d never use it for target ID though.

Figure I’ve only got ~250rds in the ammo fort, so it’s a bigger priority.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#18]
I love it when a plan comes together.

After the new mount she zero'd perfectly.

1st group: Far left

2nd: Bottom middle

3rd: Top middle

28 degrees and wind everywhere, shaking like a crackhead.

Had 15rds of Infidels special sauce left in a mag and headed over to the 100y line.

Just under 2" outside edge to edge. 15rds

Magazine prone off the cold ass concrete and a crazy crosswind
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
I love it when a plan comes together.

After the new mount she zero'd perfectly.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2017-12-30_10_23_43-405846.jpg

1st group: Far left

2nd: Bottom middle

3rd: Top middle

28 degrees and wind everywhere, shaking like a crackhead.

Had 15rds of Infidels special sauce left in a mag and headed over to the 100y line.

Just under 2" outside edge to edge. 15rds
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2017-12-30_10_35_36-405872.jpg
Magazine prone off the cold ass concrete and a crazy crosswind
View Quote
Want to sell the nightforce unimount?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Attachment Attached File

Off-the-shelf 55gr Fiocchi at 100m; barrel is a 12" LaRue Stealth (SS match) cut back to 11.3" and carbine gas. Glass is Leupold Mk6 1-6x in a KAC 20 MOA mount. Still waiting for the NT4 to clear. This is my favorite carbine, hands down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Steinhatchee:

Want to sell the nightforce unimount?
View Quote
PM’d
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
https://i.imgur.com/28Ni5o0.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG_6491-405890.JPG

Off-the-shelf 55gr Fiocchi at 100m; barrel is a 12" LaRue Stealth (SS match) cut back to 11.3" and carbine gas. Glass is Leupold Mk6 1-6x in a KAC 20 MOA mount. Still waiting for the NT4 to clear. This is my favorite carbine, hands down.
View Quote
That makes my pee pee stiff

Pic thread:
Started as holland, until I realized I bought the wrong fucking barrel.  Failed hollands become recces, right?

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

That makes my pee pee stiff

Pic thread:
Started as holland, until I realized I bought the wrong fucking barrel.  Failed hollands become recces, right?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4682/39364722702_c0135ef154_b.jpg
View Quote
I agree!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#24]
https://i.imgur.com/28Ni5o0.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG_6491-405890.JPG

View Quote
Trigger?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Trigger?
View Quote
Currently just an LMT 2-stage but I've got a new KAC lower sitting here and a Geissele G2S to throw in it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#26]
My Noveske from 2007 getting a face lift:

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye_Doc_Holiday] [#27]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:

That rifle is so hawt.
View Quote
Thank you! I find it to be a very handy, accurate, and useful setup. So much so that I built an exact duplicate. One for go-to, one for training.

Here’s what it’ll do at 100 with the 64gr Gold Dots I carry (10 shot zero confirmation):

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Those of you using 14.5" barrels on your Recce builds - which brand and model did you go with.

I'm looking at Ballistic Advantage, but I have no idea which 14.5" barrel to choose - which specific one would be ideal?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Those of you using 14.5" barrels on your Recce builds - which brand and model did you go with.

I'm looking at Ballistic Advantage, but I have no idea which 14.5" barrel to choose - which specific one would be ideal?
View Quote
I would run a BA Hanson 14.5" or cut down the BA 16" SPR.

My first RECCE build I ran a Rainier Arms Select barrel and couldn't have been happier with the results.  I don't think Rainier makes that barrel anymore.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Larue barrel is the way I would do it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Had my Aero recce out yesterday (closest rifle in picture other rifle is a 300blk)  Rifle has a standard Aero precision 5.56 16in barrel Think it would be worth it to upgrade the barrel to squeeze out a little more accuracy?

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Colt SOCOM.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I scored a Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 off the EE for my recce.  Any suggestions for a mount/rings?  I'd like something QD because I occasionally like to take the scope off and practice with the BUIS.  I have some experience with ADM mounts, which are okay, but I was wondering if there are any superior (but comparably priced) options out there.

Pic of rifle to be re-glassed:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Uhhh....really thinking on tearing my Seal Recce down to make an H........
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
https://media.giphy.com/media/xULW8FJyCU2PBwrb6o/giphy.gif
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#36]
https://media.giphy.com/media/xULW8FJyCU2PBwrb6o/giphy.gif
View Quote
Keep it and build a H upper
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

View All Quotes

Yeah I know guys I should have never spent most of the day in the H thread.......I would like to just build the H upper but I have another build going so it will be a while before I can start it....I guess I will keep the SEAL RECCE the way it is and just wait....damn it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah I know guys I should have never spent most of the day in the H thread.......I would like to just build the H upper but I have another build going so it will be a while before I can start it....I guess I will keep the SEAL RECCE the way it is and just wait....damn it.
View All Quotes

I was in this situation once.. Had 2 Mod 1’s, then ended up selling the barrel on one, and put together a Mod 1 Shorty.. And with the New Baby here I thought I’d NEVER get the H going.. Sure enough I have a Mod 1, Mod 1 Shorty, and Mod H’ish lol.. Now the TS-30A2 needa get here already
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:

I was in this situation once.. Had 2 Mod 1’s, then ended up selling the barrel on one, and put together a Mod 1 Shorty.. And with the New Baby here I thought I’d NEVER get the H going.. Sure enough I have a Mod 1, Mod 1 Shorty, and Mod H’ish lol.. Now the TS-30A2 needa get here already
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
First of all, the h thread is where you should spend most your day divided evenly between this one and a couple minutes laughing at the MK18 thread so you don't take yourself too seriously.

If you're wanting to switch it up a little, cut the recce barrel to 15.4 so the ops sits close to the rail.  Then slowly surf the ee looking for cheap holland parts.  They are all still being made so that shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By chenault:

First of all, the h thread is where you should spend most your day divided evenly between this one and a couple minutes laughing at the MK18 thread so you don't take yourself too seriously.

If you're wanting to switch it up a little, cut the recce barrel to 15.4 so the ops sits close to the rail.  Then slowly surf the ee looking for cheap holland parts.  They are all still being made so that shouldn't be a problem.
View Quote
SAVAGE.

IMO in terms of sexiness: 15" Mod 1 trumps everything. I'd rank the Holland after that. Both are really nifty setups though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#42]
So been reading a lot of the posts and seeing what people have, built my first AR a year ago and building a .300blk pistol with high end parts, like geissle and whatnot, so getting into the high end optics I guess you could say.

My 16” RECCE rifle has a trijicon accupower 1-4 on it, and I haven’t seen many of those around, I paid $700 flat for it New.
Would ya guys say that’s a good optic to be running on something like that or try and sell it and put something else on there? I shot about 300rds with it. It’s nice to my limited knowledge. I’ve only ever used a trijicon acog when i was in the marine corps.
I got a trijocon MRO set aside for my .300blk pistol
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
^ Definitely this ^
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Clone-ish correct glass options?

Tired of poopy mk4's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:
So been reading a lot of the posts and seeing what people have, built my first AR a year ago and building a .300blk pistol with high end parts, like geissle and whatnot, so getting into the high end optics I guess you could say.

My 16" RECCE rifle has a trijicon accupower 1-4 on it, and I haven't seen many of those around, I paid $700 flat for it New.
Would ya guys say that's a good optic to be running on something like that or try and sell it and put something else on there? I shot about 300rds with it. It's nice to my limited knowledge. I've only ever used a trijicon acog when i was in the marine corps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:

My 16" RECCE rifle has a trijicon accupower 1-4 on it, and I haven't seen many of those around, I paid $700 flat for it New.
Would ya guys say that's a good optic to be running on something like that or try and sell it and put something else on there? I shot about 300rds with it. It's nice to my limited knowledge. I've only ever used a trijicon acog when i was in the marine corps.
There are better options and if you want my honest opinion, neither a low-powered Accupower or a fixed-power ACOG are among them. Vortex makes a host of quality scopes with good glass that are budget-friendly. I think a lot of dudes like the Strike Eagle 1-6x.

Tired of poopy mk4's.
Mk6.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Tired of poopy mk4's.
View Quote
NF 2.5-10x24
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Mk6.
View Quote
I've got kids to feed!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#48]

I've got kids to feed!
View Quote
Well there's yer problem, lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybe some kind of Vortexx then?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Maybe some kind of Vortexx then?
View Quote
Isn't the 1-6 the only one in the wild?
Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top