BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#1]
Ok, I'm trying to nail down a barrel length for the chopped recce.  Please excuse the crude method...I'm TAD right now and have limited resources.

I measured a Douglas-barreled Mk12 upper with a known barrel length of 17.9"  The measurement from crown to rail is approximately 5.5".

I then measured the chopped Rock Creek barrel from crown to rail and got approximately 2.6".

17.9 - 5.5 = 12.4"

12.4 + 2.6 = 15"

So, I'm going to say that the chopped Rock Creek is approximately 15".

Here's a shot of the collar.  Barrel OD is .700.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats is perfect, thanks for the info.

Have one more question.  See your running what looks like nightforce rings on the chopped recce, can i ask what height and can a knights 600 rear sight fit under the scope?

Again thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kirbykid25:
Thats is perfect, thanks for the info.

Have one more question.  See your running what looks like nightforce rings on the chopped recce, can i ask what height and can a knights 600 rear sight fit under the scope?

Again thanks for the info!
View Quote

A110 Ultralight 1.375"

And yes, the KAC sight will fit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Great_Balls_of_Fire] [#4]
Yeah, I need to chop mine. I was under the impression it was a 16" barrel given the sheer lack of photos and info on these things.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By usnguns:
Ok, I'm trying to nail down a barrel length for the chopped recce.  Please excuse the crude method...I'm TAD right now and have limited resources.

I measured a Douglas-barreled Mk12 upper with a known barrel length of 17.9"  The measurement from crown to rail is approximately 5.5".
I then measured the chopped Rock Creek barrel from crown to rail and got approximately 2.6".
17.9 - 5.5 = 12.4"

12.4 + 2.6 = 15"

View Quote

Bro that thing is amazing. Here's where I'm currently at...

1. I want a short recce - something good for both CQB and long(er) range, say 0-500m
2. This will be based on a 12.5" mid-length with Mk12 FF RAS, which I will chop the first few notches off
3. As much as I love the AEM5/12th, it's just too heavy for a carbine can, so it's time to pony up for an NT4
4. As much as I want a x24mm NF, for the same money or less, I can scoop up the new 1-8x34mm FFP Trijicon Accupoint, so not clone-correct
5. Rounding this build out will be a modified PRI Holland recce rail and a set of NF medium rings

Here's where I'm torn: I can build exactly what you have while I save and wait for the NT4 but that means modifying the barrel twice instead of building it once.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Yeah, I need to chop mine. I was under the impression it was a 16" barrel given the sheer lack of photos and info on these things.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2148/32706780372_6fde2ec0de_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2314/32706768012_0016f48e29_k.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Outstanding....looks great, man.

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

17.9 - 5.5 = 12.4"

12.4 + 2.6 = 15"

1. I want a short recce - something good for both CQB and long(er) range, say 0-500m
2. This will be based on a 12.5" mid-length with Mk12 FF RAS, which I will chop the first few notches off
3. As much as I love the AEM5/12th, it's just too heavy for a carbine can, so it's time to pony up for an NT4
4. As much as I want a x24mm NF, for the same money or less, I can scoop up the new 1-8x34mm FFP Trijicon Accupoint, so not clone-correct
5. Rounding this build out will be a modified PRI Holland recce rail and a set of NF medium rings

Here's where I'm torn: I can build exactly what you have while I save and wait for the NT4 but that means modifying the barrel twice instead of building it once.

Thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of the Accupoints.  If it were me, I'd snag a used NF 2.5-10x32 for around $900-950.
Other than that, that shit sounds sweet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Thoughts?
View Quote

Any reason for the pri reece rail over an arms 38 s-ex or something similar? No need for modification in that case. Will the nt4 be flush with the rail? Trying to imagine this build in my head... Sounds incredibly cool
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm not a huge fan of the Accupoints.  If it were me, I'd snag a used NF 2.5-10x32 for around $900-950.
View Quote

Apologies; Accupower not Accupoint.

New for 2017: Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28mm LED
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

Any reason for the pri reece rail over an arms 38 s-ex or something similar? No need for modification in that case. Will the nt4 be flush with the rail? Trying to imagine this build in my head... Sounds incredibly cool
View Quote

I had the old ARMS S-EX SWAN on my Mk12 and liked it but I'm not wild about the #40L rear sight; also means I'd have to pick up another 99051 and I'm honestly over BUISs. I just like the look of the PRIs, especially on the Holland, and they're priced right and PRI has ample stock; no parts hunting.

Yes, the can would snug up similar exactly like a Mk18 CQBR. So doing some rough math off my Mk12, the handguard is 12 1/4" long. By chopping the first notch and the low space off the front, it should give me the exact clearance needed for the muzzle threads to be even. Add a few shims or crush washer and I'm there. Only problem is with chopping a FF RAS; kinda sucks to cut one and you'd lose the ability for the rail panels to lock in when reversing the clips but I run mine all the way back anyways.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:41:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#10]

I had the old ARMS S-EX SWAN on my Mk12 and liked it but I'm not wild about the #40L rear sight; also means I'd have to pick up another 99051 and I'm honestly over BUISs. I just like the look of the PRIs, especially on the Holland, and they're priced right and PRI has ample stock; no parts hunting.

Yes, the can would snug up similar exactly like a Mk18 CQBR. So doing some rough math off my Mk12, the handguard is 12 1/4" long. By chopping the first notch and the low space off the front, it should give me the exact clearance needed for the muzzle threads to be even. Add a few shims or crush washer and I'm there. Only problem is with chopping a FF RAS; kinda sucks to cut one and you'd lose the ability for the rail panels to lock in when reversing the clips but I run mine all the way back anyways.
View Quote

Gotcha, that makes sense. I didnt even think about not having a front sight.

It would be nothing to renotch the rail for the clips to lock in the end with a dremel cut wheel and milling bit, would take 10 minutes max.

Cant wait to see some action, this sounds kinda like that 12.5 mod 0/h thing that one guy has with the aem5 hidden halfway under the handguard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
USN and GBOF those stick's are amazing. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]

17.9 - 5.5 = 12.4"

12.4 + 2.6 = 15"

View Quote

Most excellent. Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting on my AEM5 to clear and may consider doing something similar with my Mod 1 styled recce.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Swapped over my new KAC lower to the Mod 1 recce.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

http://i.imgur.com/FYpIUJ4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hBYZxGA.jpg
View Quote

It's chop-chop time for that rig.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usnguns] [#15]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

http://i.imgur.com/FYpIUJ4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hBYZxGA.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.  The Trek is a sweet little can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Outstanding....looks great, man.

View Quote

Right back at ya - nice rig. Gonna get the upper to Adco and let them do their thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Been crushing on Chenault's medium RAS build from a while back, and JJREA's has always been a fav.
So, here's my new recce inspired. It's pretty humble since I've spent all my pennies on rare rails this year. But it's a start in the right direction.
Tried to keep it light as I hope to take it hunting one day so it's probably going to lose the bipod except for pics.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:32:59 AM EDT
[#18]
RTUtah as aaron580 said it doesn't take much to add the notch for the covers. I have done it with a file. I don't know how much the NT4 weights. I have a M4QD which I believe has a additional baffle over the NT4. My OPS INC 12th model is lighter than my M4QD. I bought it for a M4 but find it too heavy. I do use it on a MK18. The OPS INC balances better.SJR556.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SJR556:
RTUtah as aaron580 said it doesn't take much to add the notch for the covers. I have done it with a file. I don't know how much the NT4 weights. I have a M4QD which I believe has a additional baffle over the NT4. My OPS INC 12th model is lighter than my M4QD. I bought it for a M4 but find it too heavy. I do use it on a MK18. The OPS INC balances better.SJR556.
View Quote

Yeah notching it would be a snap.

But I'm confused about your M4QD; isn't that the NT4 QDSS? It looks identical. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By blackhawk400:
Been crushing on Chenault's medium RAS build from a while back, and JJREA's has always been a fav.
So, here's my new recce inspired. It's pretty humble since I've spent all my pennies on rare rails this year. But it's a start in the right direction.
Tried to keep it light as I hope to take it hunting one day so it's probably going to lose the bipod except for pics.
View Quote

I terribly regret getting rid of my medium RAS.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Me I too, someone offered me one recently for $700 but that was outside my ballpark

Blackhawk that's looking great im jealous for sure
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Somewhere out there, there are MREs and and other various length FF RAS just sitting idle on in a build or in a parts bin. The owner doesn't ARFCOM and unbeknownst to him he is sitting on a gold mine.

One can dream about locating that "barn find"...[
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:48:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#23]
The medium can be attained by chopping a long, but even still, I'd hate to chop one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Man that's hot.  

I still think that the one in the photo is a 16".  Did I miss something that shows that it isnt
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#25]
The medium can be attained by chopping a long, but even still, I'd hate to chop one.
View Quote

I've done plenty of drastic and questionable things but I'll hold out for the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Chop that shit.

Seriously, though...GBOF, nice rifle!  Paint looks awesome.
View Quote

is that a sawed off double barrel on his back?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:
Chop that shit.

Seriously, though...GBOF, nice rifle!  Paint looks awesome.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By chenault:
Man that's hot.  

I still think that the one in the photo is a 16".  Did I miss something that shows that it isnt
View Quote

The more I look at it, the more I believe that it's chopped. Here's another example.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]

The more I look at it, the more I believe that it's chopped. Here's another example.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/USN%20recce%2059_zpsxtviifae.png
View Quote

Sigh. This page is going to cost me money
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By chenault:

Sigh. This page is going to cost me money
View Quote
You might want to change your sig, too - uses a rifle-length FF RAS
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah notching it would be a snap.

But I'm confused about your M4QD; isn't that the NT4 QDSS? It looks identical. 
View Quote

My understanding is the M4QD has 5 baffles and the NT4 has 4.During one of the government contracts the M4QD was too heavy.The sound reduction requirement was also reduced.KAC was able to remove 1 baffle to meet the weight requirement and stay within the sound reduction. They also opened up the bore diameter to reduce the pressure when using the shorter MK 18 barrel.SJR556
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#32]
Glad I scooped up a medium FF RAS last month. Might make this build much cheaper. RTUtah, I see the gov't profiled BA barrel you mentioned. I'd love this upper to have a stainless steel barrel though.

And yeah, those 1-8 Accupowers look awesome, I can't wait to get one.

Lastly, speaking of rare rails, I know a guy who figured out a rifle he bought last year or so has a DD RIS GL/SSC rail on it
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#34]
You might want to change your sig, too - uses a rifle-length FF RAS
View Quote

There's more than one type of recce, I've had the 16" recce for a couple of years minus the nightforce. I have 3 rifle lengths but I sold mh mid length a ways back to fund my mre

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SJR556:

My understanding is the M4QD has 5 baffles and the NT4 has 4.During one of the government contracts the M4QD was too heavy.The sound reduction requirement was also reduced.KAC was able to remove 1 baffle to meet the weight requirement and stay within the sound reduction. They also opened up the bore diameter to reduce the pressure when using the shorter MK 18 barrel.SJR556
View Quote

I honestly did not know that. 

Also, instead of hacking up a perfectly good long FF RAS, I might cut the barrel down to right where the rail ends. We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turtlesniper] [#36]
Rtutah u know i dont care fore those wanabe mk12s with quad rails but dont make me cut up your kac handguard when i chop your barrel
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turtlesniper] [#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
New recce built, parted out my rainier build for a more, timeless look.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Chopped or nah?

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#40]
I say chopped.  Cool pic.  Never seen that one.

It's kinda funny, AP, Variable, and Eothing all represented.  Why does that AP look so long?  Maybe it's got the caps on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Looks like the suppressor butts right up to the rail when I zoom in on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

You're asking if you should chop the rail or shorten your barrel? 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Very cool.  That's going to turn out nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGreatDanton] [#44]

Fairly certain thats chopped.

ETA- I remember this being discussed somewhere on arfcom
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Sick setup, takes away from the monotony of this thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By matticuski:

View All Quotes

Definitely a classy blaster.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turtlesniper] [#47]

View All Quotes

Doesnt shoot to bad either
Lw50 midlength cut to 15 but i threaded and crowned it to look like a 14.5
10 shot group 100yrds imi razor core 77

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#48]
How kosher is a x32 NF on a Recce? or is that going into the "SPRECCE" area?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

That's a really smart-looking rig, minus the floating PEQ. Always wondered if they were trolling us by doing that shit, lol. 
Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top