BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I actually do have a photo of the Recon with a variable scope on it!

After all these years, still my favorite AR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
The only Leupold I've ever had was the Mk4. Even though my NF isn't an F1, you'd hafta kill me to get it off my Mod1, if that tells you anything. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:

I saw where you swooped in on that F1. 
I've wanted one for a while and it turned out to be a really good deal. I'm going to put it head to head with the mk 6 3-18 I have on my EMC. If it wins I'll probably sell the Leupold if it loses I'll probably put it on the recce and keep the Leupold where it is.
The only Leupold I've ever had was the Mk4. Even though my NF isn't an F1, you'd hafta kill me to get it off my Mod1, if that tells you anything. 
I'm a big fan of the mk4. I think they are a great value when you can get a used one for $6-800. The mk 6 is really nice but for me the eye box and image quality really drops off at 14x or so. Maybe it's partly due to the Horus reticle making it look too cluttered at the highest magnification. The F1 was on my short list when I bought the mk6 but I couldn't find one for a good price at the time. I've been impressed with the compact NF scopes so I've got high hopes for this one. I just found a unimount on the EE to put the 2.5-10x24 in for a little added clone correctness on the recce.

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody running an acog? I'm thinking of getting rid of the mk4 in favor of something fixed at a lower power
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm a big fan of the mk4. I think they are a great value when you can get a used one for $6-800. The mk 6 is really nice but for me the eye box and image quality really drops off at 14x or so. Maybe it's partly due to the Horus reticle making it look too cluttered at the highest magnification. The F1 was on my short list when I bought the mk6 but I couldn't find one for a good price at the time. I've been impressed with the compact NF scopes so I've got high hopes for this one. I just found a unimount on the EE to put the 2.5-10x24 in for a little added clone correctness on the recce.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/Recce1_zpsbpz04jwq.jpg
View Quote
I'm dumping the Shrecce clone to splurge on a Mk6 1-6x for the mini-recce. Yay or nay?

Pic thread.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm dumping the Shrecce clone to splurge on a Mk6 1-6x for the mini-recce. Yay or nay?

Pic thread.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/FullSizeRender-5-198415.JPG
View Quote
That's going to be a sweet setup and the mk 6 will be a good fit. An original 1-4x short dot would also be cool on that so I say "yay"

I had a mk6 1-6x for a while and it was a really nice optic but I got the elcan shortly after and decided I could only keep one at the time 1x performance matterd more for what I was trying to do so the elcan won out.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]

That's going to be a sweet setup and the mk 6 will be a good fit. An original 1-4x short dot would also be cool on that so I say "yay"

I had a mk6 1-6x for a while and it was a really nice optic but I got the elcan shortly after and decided I could only keep one at the time 1x performance matterd more for what I was trying to do so the elcan won out.

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/Mobile%20Uploads/53a39b9c-d23d-422b-93b5-bb511dca9b7c_zpsptvzhulx.jpg
View Quote
Did you not find the Mk6's 1x to be sufficient? 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Did you not find the Mk6's 1x to be sufficient? 
View Quote
It's better than sufficient, better than any other 1-x I'd tried except the short dot with the cc(close combat) setting and the elcan. I found that the mk6 almost looked like .95x magnification, if I bumped it up a tiny bit it looked like 1x to my eye.  The elcan has a better reticle for 1x and bigger field of view.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I haven't kept up with some of the newer offerings but if you can find a good deal on the mk6 I say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The two-tone with the mid length RAS and the SR-15 with the URX II are my favorites. The current holland setup is pretty sweet too. I didn't realize how compact that scope is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#11]
Originally Posted By Winniethepooh:
Anybody running an acog? I'm thinking of getting rid of the mk4 in favor of something fixed at a lower power
View Quote
Heck yeah, this TA11C is my preferred sight for the Recon, even with the PVS-22.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#12]

It's better than sufficient, better than any other 1-x I'd tried except the short dot with the cc(close combat) setting and the elcan. I found that the mk6 almost looked like .95x magnification, if I bumped it up a tiny bit it looked like 1x to my eye.  The elcan has a better reticle for 1x and bigger field of view.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I haven't kept up with some of the newer offerings but if you can find a good deal on the mk6 I say go for it.
View Quote
Goodie. I'm sold. But there's also an Accupower in the EE right now for $1300. But Mk6 because clone. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Always with the classy builds, dang.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Goodie. I'm sold. But there's also an Accupower in the EE right now for $1300. But Mk6 because clone. 
View Quote
There will be much better deals than that on the accupower. DSG had them for $1156 last month
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

There will be much better deals than that on the accupower. DSG had them for $1156 last month
View Quote
Yeah that's not much of a deal, I agree. Still think the Mk6 is the way to go though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the kind words boys.  It's been fun going through the process with you.  I look forward to seeing where this goes the next five years.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Yeah that's not much of a deal, I agree. Still think the Mk6 is the way to go though.
View Quote
I agree. Especially in the weight department
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I haven't seen the new trijicon offerings but they do intrigue me, I'd like to see one in person, I'm not a big fan of the segmented circle reticle.

I think I paid $1250 for a well used mk6 with mount which I thought was a hell of a deal. No way I'd pay $2000 for one like I've seen advertised.  

The NF 1-4x is nice too but it's lacking in the reticle and illumination department. I don't know why they haven't released a 1-6x or 1-8x I feel like they could gobble up a bunch of market share.

I think you'll be happy with a Mk6. Or go big and get the short dot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]

I haven't seen the new trijicon offerings but they do intrigue me, I'd like to see one in person, I'm not a big fan of the segmented circle reticle.

I think I paid $1250 for a well used mk6 with mount which I thought was a hell of a deal. No way I'd pay $2000 for one like I've seen advertised.  

The NF 1-4x is nice too but it's lacking in the reticle and illumination department. I don't know why they haven't released a 1-6x or 1-8x I feel like they could gobble up a bunch of market share.

View Quote
I would like to try a MK6 to see what it's like. I have the Accupower currently (red illum) and came out at $1400 with a Geisselle mount, really digging it so far. Only have experience with NF 1-4, Razor HD Gen II 1-6, and a Elcan (if its in the same category). The segmented circle I wasn't a fan of at all at first but it's grown on me, I typically prefer just straight cross reticles. The illumination isn't the greatest either since it bleeds a little into the range holdover's but it's been daylight bright enough for me. Clarity is excellent though and having compared to the other's I've tried it runs with the best IMO (2k and under that is). YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

NF is working on a 1-8x but they're having issues with it still. This photo popped up on the net for all of about 30 seconds before somebody's head rolled, lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]

NF is working on a 1-8x but they're having issues with it still. This photo popped up on the net for all of about 30 seconds before somebody's head rolled, lol.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG-4722-198852.JPG
View Quote
That riser on riser action tho.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
View All Quotes

lol, is it me or is all this riser action getting outta hand? I'm seeing fools with riser all over their gats but no NODs or NV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#25]

lol, is it me or is all this riser action getting outta hand? I'm seeing fools with riser all over their gats but no NODs or NV.
View Quote
It tighten's up your groups mane.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are a few of mine, I guess it fits the profile:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
That's what I'm talkin about. Looks like 1-4x size with the ATACR turrets. 1-8 must be pretty hard. Even S&B took like 5 years to roll out theirs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#28]

That's what I'm talkin about. Looks like 1-4x size with the ATACR turrets. 1-8 must be pretty hard. Even S&B took like 5 years to roll out theirs.
View Quote
Think I heard the problems are stemming from how short it is and how much magnification they're trying to stuff into it. Also heard it's gonna be about $4k.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Think I heard the problems are stemming from how short it is and how much magnification they're trying to stuff into it. Also heard it's gonna be about $4k.  
View Quote
4k yuck. That could get me halfway to a MK13 mod 5 or 7 or a serious meth addiction. Apples and oranges ya know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Glad someone managed to save that pic.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]

4k yuck. That could get me halfway to a MK13 mod 5 or 7 or a serious meth addiction. Apples and oranges ya know.
View Quote
$4000 is probably a $3000ish street price, still way up there but it looks much smaller and lighter than the mk8 which is the same price.

Show me where I can get a Mk13 for $8k and I'm all over it. That's a 5 figure clone for sure. The S&B alone is going to eat up half your budget.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#32]

$4000 is probably a $3000ish street price, still way up there but it looks much smaller and lighter than the mk8 which is the same price.

Show me where I can get a Mk13 for $8k and I'm all over it. That's a 5 figure clone for sure. The S&B alone is going to eat up half your budget.
View Quote
Yeah halfway to just the gun. S&B wasn't included in that. I can dream I suppose. Mod 5 would be a bit on the cheaper scale if I opted for a NF. Hard to justify 3k on a 1-8 though personally.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I must not be high speed enough, I actually prefer a lower mounted optic.  The HK height on a standard AR seems about perfect to me.  If there was a PEQ-15 to clear or I was wearing NODs I get it but for just normal off hand shooting or even off a bipod a little lower than standard seems most comfortable to me.

Yeah halfway to just the gun. S&B wasn't included in that. I can dream I suppose. Mod 5 would be a bit on the cheaper scale if I opted for a NF. Hard to justify 3k on a 1-8 though, that's pretty good LR scope territory.
Plus you have to add in the price of 300 win mag

I agree 3k is a lot for a low power variable. Price has kept me away from the Mk8 and will probably from that NF if it ever comes out.  

Pic thread and all... here is my first AR as it morphed into a Mod 0/recce hybrid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#34]
RECCE progress. Still need to tweak a lot.

Plan to swap to a KAC or Colt lower. Need to get a BE Meyer's FH, PRI Gasbuster, Wilcox MRDS mount .
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
http://i.imgur.com/qtOAR4D.jpg

Plan to swap to a KAC or Colt lower. Need to get a BE Meyer's FH, PRI Gasbuster, Wilcox MRDS mount .
View Quote
Chop that sucker off even with the end of the FF RAS. That was my original plan. 
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Chop that sucker off even with the end of the FF RAS. That was my original plan. 
View Quote
Maybe when the NT4 clears.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#37]
http://i.imgur.com/qtOAR4D.jpg

View Quote
Excited about this build
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

Aww yeah. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:11:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Great_Balls_of_Fire] [#39]
Aww yeah. 
View All Quotes

Aww yeah. 
Maybe? Don't be a bitch.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By chenault:
A few recce's I've built through the years
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
That shorty is by far my favorite SBR on this site.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Maybe? Don't be a bitch.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4156/34404772055_bcb98c4b9c_h.jpg
View Quote
Hnnng. Solid fuckin point though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#42]
RRA up top pinned 14.5 and LMT below I think fits into the Recce category? I love this PA ACSS 1-8

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Recent builds. Loving the Holland.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Great_Balls_of_Fire:
Maybe? Don't be a bitch.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4156/34404772055_bcb98c4b9c_h.jpg
View Quote
I hate this gun. So sick.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#45]

I must not be high speed enough, I actually prefer a lower mounted optic.  The HK height on a standard AR seems about perfect to me.  If there was a PEQ-15 to clear or I was wearing NODs I get it but for just normal off hand shooting or even off a bipod a little lower than standard seems most comfortable to me.

Plus you have to add in the price of 300 win mag

I agree 3k is a lot for a low power variable. Price has kept me away from the Mk8 and will probably from that NF if it ever comes out.  

Pic thread and all... here is my first AR as it morphed into a Mod 0/recce hybrid.
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/Kyle_OA/39f52875.jpg
View Quote
I like that.  What scope is that?  Weaver?  No, Vortexx?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#46]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

I like that.  What scope is that?  Weaver?  No, Vortexx?
View Quote
Vortex 2-7x. It was oncloseout several years ago I don't remember the model. It was about $350-400 scope and I think I got it for $200ish

This is the closest thing I have to that rifle now

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#47]
20170428_103815-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#48]
20170501_080105-01-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#49]
obv not mine, but this is shit hot.

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#50]
My newest Recce rifle a Savage MSR 15 Recon. Got it at Gander mountain on sale $765 + tax out the door was $817. It was actually cheaper to buy a complete rifle (even from Gander) and change out the stock and grip to something I preferred than it was to build a precision based rifle up from scratch.

Specs:
Savage MSR 15 Recon
Melonite QPQ 16 1/8-inch barrel with 5R rifling 223 Wylde chamber Mid-length gas system
12inch M-Lok hand guard
Custom forged lower receiver

I had some spare parts from an AR I parted out so I put those in this rifle. Those parts were
JP Extra power spring with a Spikes ST-T2 buffer. the Recon comes with a carbine buffer
G2S trigger. The Black hawk blaze trigger was an awesome single stage mil spec type trigger super super smooth, I sold that to a friend at work who is building an AR
Norgan Ambi mag release (troys wont fit because of the custom lower)
BCM Ambi charging handle
I prefer the STR stock and MOE+ grip so I added those and put the blackhawk stuff on my M&P15-22
Optic is a Primary Arms Gen3 1-6X in their deluxe mount

These groups were shot at 100 yards off a rest using Nosler 69gr custom match.  For a factory built rifle can you ask for much better at that price??

Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top