Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 219
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By usnguns:

View Quote

10-4. Got a Killer deal on a x32 yesterday guess I'm going to go that route. Now to find a damn Wilcox Micro mount.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:
How kosher is a x32 NF on a Recce? or is that going into the "SPRECCE" area?
View Quote

That is a legit DG Recon Rifle, so it is very much kosher.

The "PEQ" is an Insight RULR laser range finder. Running them in the 12 o'clock position on the forward scope ring cap is pretty standard. Definitely not configured that way as a joke or clone bait.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Glass1:

That is a legit DG Recon Rifle, so it is very much kosher.

The "PEQ" is an Insight RULR laser range finder. Running them in the 12 o'clock position on the forward scope ring cap is pretty standard. Definitely not configured that way as a joke or clone bait.
View Quote

Good to know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The Recce I built my son.
    Palmetto State Upper and Lower
      Vortex 1x4
        G  SSA-E, and FN barrel currently.
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:17 AM EDT
          [Last Edit: usnguns] [#5]

I'm going to test out the Wilcox T1 mount today.
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:26:49 PM EDT
          [#6]
          Some Recce style love......
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:28:11 PM EDT
          [#7]
          5.56 Noveske Recon barrel
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:29:05 PM EDT
          [#8]
          300 Blackout
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:30:01 PM EDT
          [#9]
          And the elusive 338 Spectre
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:32:13 PM EDT
          [#10]
          Let's throw in a 458 Socom too....

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:41:10 PM EDT
          [#11]
          Originally Posted By exhogflyer:
          And the elusive 338 Spectre
          View Quote

Not a recce.
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:48:44 PM EDT
          [#12]
          Originally Posted By ozgood03:

Not a recce.
          View Quote

Why not?
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:34:02 PM EDT
          [#13]
          Originally Posted By ozgood03:

Not a recce.
          View Quote

Never mind, figgerd it out. Does not have a magnifying optic.......sorry!
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:23:07 PM EDT
          [Last Edit: eMc9001] [#14]
          @usn.
          If you fall in love with the T1 mount I'd gladly sell my left nut for your Wilcox Micro red dot mount.
          Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:29:34 PM EDT
          [Last Edit: BrennanHuff556] [#15]
          I guess my mod Holland  inspired build qualifies for this thread

[/URL]" />

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:42:50 PM EDT
          [Last Edit: BrennanHuff556] [#16]
          bison armory 16 inch ops inc barrel
          vortex viper 2.5-10x32 mrad
          giesselle ssa
          jp lmos
          gots lots of titanium in her, kmr rail, and the low mass so shes nice and light. haven't shot her yet been to busy
          Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:33:58 AM EDT
          [#17]
          View Quote

That's REAL sweet! Why didn't you just do a full-on Holland?
          Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:05:11 PM EDT
          [Last Edit: BrennanHuff556] [#18]

View Quote

I am working  that in soon, wanted something lighter at first now I want both

" />

and with her big sister mod one
          " />
          Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:06:01 PM EDT
          [Last Edit: BrennanHuff556] [#19]
          Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Bro that thing is amazing. Here's where I'm currently at...

1. I want a short recce - something good for both CQB and long(er) range, say 0-500m
          2. This will be based on a 12.5" mid-length with Mk12 FF RAS, which I will chop the first few notches off
          3. As much as I love the AEM5/12th, it's just too heavy for a carbine can, so it's time to pony up for an NT4
          4. As much as I want a x24mm NF, for the same money or less, I can scoop up the new 1-8x34mm FFP Trijicon Accupoint, so not clone-correct
          5. Rounding this build out will be a modified PRI Holland recce rail and a set of NF medium rings

Here's where I'm torn: I can build exactly what you have while I save and wait for the NT4 but that means modifying the barrel twice instead of building it once.

Thoughts?
          View Quote

I'm working on the same thing kind of but no more kac ff ras for me(for now ). stuck on finding a barrel was looking at the rainer 12.5 mid length but its out of stock atm. cutting a centurion arms 12 in c4  rail for a jp adjustable fp, rocking my surefire 300sps once the stamp passes.
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:52:04 AM EDT
          [#20]
          I don't have a good picture, but I think my AR fits the bill off what a modern "recce rifle" should be... 

Details:
          Aero upper/lower and 15" KMR
          Wilson Combat 16" 1/8 "Recon" barrel
          Geiselle SSA-E
          Magpul STR and MIAD pistol grip
          KAC micro BUIS
          Silencerco ASR Muzzle Brake w/SPECWAR can

My question revolves around optics.  DSG's Steiner P4Xi combo deal is calling to me - is a 1-4x a good optic for such a rifle?  I can potentially shoot out to 1000yds, although I'd say 400yds or so would be the norm for the different ranges I have access to.

Thanks.
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:22:23 AM EDT
          [#21]
          Originally Posted By helmet91:
          I don't have a good picture, but I think my AR fits the bill off what a modern "recce rifle" should be... 

Details:
          Geiselle SSA-E
          KAC micro BUIS

My question revolves around optics.  DSG's Steiner P4Xi combo deal is calling to me - is a 1-4x a good optic for such a rifle?  I can potentially shoot out to 1000yds, although I'd say 400yds or so would be the norm for the different ranges I have access to.

Thanks.
          View Quote

I have no experience with that scope, but IMHO, I'd be looking for something with a tad more power. 1-6x or 1-8x, ideally. Maybe even a 2.5-10x with a piggyback MRDS. Just a thought.
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:42:39 AM EDT
          [Last Edit: BMPRacing] [#22]

Thanks.
          View Quote

I shoot 2/3 IDPA silhouettes out to 500 yards quite a bit using a 1-6X and it is comfortable on 6X. I really feel a 1-8X would be a little light for shooting 1000. Depends on your target size I guess. My eyes are old too so take it for whats it worth! LOL 400 yards all day long, go with a 1-?X and get the highest power your wallet wants to handle.

Brad

Edit: I think most 1-8X power scopes will handle out to 800 yards of .223 drop without turret turning as well.
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:03:20 PM EDT
          [#23]

Details:
          Geiselle SSA-E
          KAC micro BUIS

Thanks.
          View Quote

I have the Burris XTRII 1-5. I like the exposed turrets but that it's still compact. Although if I was buying a new one now I would probably get the 1-8
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:14:25 PM EDT
          [#24]

View Quote

forgot my manners, thankyou!
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:07:40 PM EDT
          [#25]
          I recognize that rifle
          View Quote
          Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:44:40 PM EDT
          [#26]

I have no experience with that scope, but IMHO, I'd be looking for something with a tad more power. 1-6x or 1-8x, ideally. Maybe even a 2.5-10x with a piggyback MRDS. Just a thought.
          View Quote
          Yeah, 1-4 doesn't seem like enough.  The package deal almost sucked me in.

I might try Vortex's new 1-6.

I don't think I'd be doing 1000yds all that often at all - probably stay on the 400yd range for the most part.

Thanks for the input everyone!
          Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:03:41 AM EDT
          [#27]

I don't think I'd be doing 1000yds all that often at all - probably stay on the 400yd range for the most part.

View Quote

I think the general rule is 1x of power for every 100 yards, but the older I get the more power I want to have.  I'm willing to admit the flaws of age it it means some comfort.
          Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:42:11 AM EDT
          [#28]
          Originally Posted By chenault:

I think the general rule is 1x of power for every 100 yards, but the older I get the more power I want to have.  I'm willing to admit the flaws of age it it means some comfort.
          View Quote

I tend to do a fixed 6x on my hunting rifles, and honestly have been enjoying the SS10x a lot more these days.  My typical range "only" does 500 though (which is pretty dang decent for < 2 hours from central MD) so for now I'm okay with it.  The other half insists on higher mag, so I gave her a 14-ish max vortex and she seems happy.  
          Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:17:35 PM EDT
          [#29]
          Finally got the Holland wannabe out today, hiked about 2-3 miles to my usual spot and had a good time. Was having some issues with failure to feed, ended up being a junk magazine. Function checked and everything is good too go. Dialed in and got a 3/4 inch group, shoots like a dream, anybody looking for a barrel for a Holland I highly recommend the bison armory barrel! Only shot 25 meters today.

" />

" />

" />

Got zeroed  in on the K finally than I did a 5 shot group on the 6 card was being held by a staple in the middle so that kind of made my grouping bigger than I wanted. Was using the BH 75 gr match hp reman. for the groups
          " />
          " />
          Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:32:35 PM EDT
          [#30]
          View Quote

That is really, really sweet! Except I detest those lens caps, I haven't figured out a good solution yet but I knew right away I wanted those off. I think I may just go with a simple bikini cover.
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:02:40 AM EDT
          [#31]
          Originally Posted By BrennanHuff556:
          Finally got the Holland wannabe out today, hiked about 2-3 miles to my usual spot and had a good time. Was having some issues with failure to feed, ended up being a junk magazine. Function checked and everything is good too go. Dialed in and got a 3/4 inch group, shoots like a dream, anybody looking for a barrel for a Holland I highly recommend the bison armory barrel! Only shot 25 meters today.

Got zeroed  in on the K finally than I did a 5 shot group on the 6 card was being held by a staple in the middle so that kind of made my grouping bigger than I wanted. Was using the BH 75 gr match hp reman. for the groups
          View Quote

3/4inch at 25 with fairly high magnification?  and that's not really much of a holland either.....
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:59:22 PM EDT
          [#32]
          Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

3/4inch at 25 with fairly high magnification?  and that's not really much of a holland either.....
          View Quote

I stayed on 2.5 mag, I'm new too precision shooting. Trying to too teach myself in all honesty.. And I didn't refer to my rifle as a Holland directly at all, I said the words "inspired" and "wannabe".

Its compatible with my can when it gets out of jail. In all honesty it meets the same specs as the Holland. free floated -stainless 16" - ops compatible

Again not calling it a Holland. Just be happy I didn't post it in the Holland thread, or give it a corny nick name...
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:08:09 PM EDT
          [#33]

I stayed on 2.5 mag, I'm new too precision shooting. Trying to too teach myself in all honesty.. And I didn't refer to my rifle as a Holland directly at all, I said the words "inspired" and "wannabe".

Its compatible with my can when it gets out of jail. In all honesty it meets the same specs as the Holland. free floated -stainless 16" - ops compatible

Again not calling it a Holland. Just be happy I didn't post it in the Holland thread, or give it a corny nick name...
          View Quote

You're good. It's a recce and this is the recce thread. Should be a nice setup when you get your can. I hope my AEM5 clears in the next month or so.
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:09:56 PM EDT
          [#34]

View Quote

I think he was just trying to point out that the only common part between your rifle and a Mod-H is the Ops muzzle brake.  No one would think your rifle hand anything to do with a Mod-H if you didn't mention it.  Usually when people build a clone or an "inspired" by rifle they try to get the same general look, so that you can see where the inspiration came from. It's your rifle, you can call it whatever you want, I'm glad you are shooting and enjoying it.
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:02:08 PM EDT
          [#35]

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 6:42:17 PM EDT
          [#36]

View Quote

I never shoot all that well at 25 meters with a scope.  I swear I'm always thinking I should be getting smaller groups.  I think parallax might mess with it at that range......    I think my 50 yard groups are usually better than 25 yards.  Seriously.  

You won't know how good you're doing until you do it at 100 anyways.....  So 3/4" at 25 meters sounds fine to me.  But if you're getting 1-1/2" at 50, well then it's not so good.   You didn't say how many rounds either.
          Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:23:57 PM EDT
          [#37]
          m4gery I really like your style in your builds. shot roughly 120 rounds, couple of different brands ammo. more or less just a function test, once the snow clears ill  shoot longer distance and work up a hand load for the barrel.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:53:21 AM EDT
          [#38]
          So If I wanted to be as kosher as possible would I need a Lilja m4 barrel or has there been alternatives? And what goes for lowers? Just submitted my forms for a AEM5 and 2 Colt M4A1 Lowers (at least one for a MK18) so trying to piece everything together. Not a real clear definitive list anywhere.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:04:31 AM EDT
          [#39]
          So If I wanted to be as kosher as possible would I need a Lilja m4 barrel or has there been alternatives? And what goes for lowers? Just submitted my forms for a AEM5 and 2 Colt M4A1 Lowers (at least one for a MK18) so trying to piece everything together. Not a real clear definitive list anywhere.
          View Quote

Really all depends on how you define what a recce gun is. My definition is how SOF units defines them. YMMV.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:06:47 AM EDT
          [Last Edit: eMc9001] [#40]
          Well I'm trying to go all in. I want to clone it as best I can to SOF "specs".
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:22:43 AM EDT
          [#41]
          View Quote

I think it depends on what kind of "recce" you want.

There are recces like the "Dam Neck" recce that uses a Lilja barrel with KAC FF RAS long and those that use M4/M4A1 barrels and FF RAS (medium or long). In both cases, these use BE Meyers M249F flash hiders which are not designed to work with an Ops suppressor; I suspect these are not intended to be suppressed. Also note that there are HK416-based recces that fit this ilk. These rifles are generally what I think of as a "SEAL recce," though that term is somewhat nebulous.

I think we have seen others that use some sort of 16" barrel with a LaRue Tactical 13.2" handguard and KAC NT4 flash hider (the pic of which I'm thinking seemed to be an Army operator but I can't be sure). I believe Wes of MSTN has stated that LaRue 13.2 handguards were also used on SEAL-type recces.

If your plan is to use your Ops suppressor for a "recce" then you have some other options, none of which in my opinion requires a Lilja M4 barrel (see previous paragraph). There are some good examples on previous pages. If I was going to build one today around my Ops suppressor (e.g., a Mod H), I would probably opt for a Compass Lake Douglas barrel, but that's just me and not based on much other than choosing a company that has had military contracts (though not necessarily for that barrel) and a good reputation for quality/durabilty.

That is one of challenges to building these guns since it's more of a concept than specific set of components like SOPMOD-spec gun.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:28:43 AM EDT
          [#42]
          Well I'm trying to go all in. I want to clone it as best I can to SOF "specs".
          View Quote

With no real concrete specs is hard to say. However I think you're on the right track with the Lilja barrel. You could also look at one of Compass Lakes offerings. Either an A1 or A2 lower will be fine. FF RAS. Ops/AEM or a NT4 can. NF 1-4 or 2.5-10 glass. SOPMOD stock etc. Really just picture a Mod H or 16" Mk12 Mod 1 build and the associated period gear.

The recce rifle is probably my favorite weapon concept with a more fluid interpretation of what you want it to be. You can find anything from the GWOT era to modern inspirations with LW slick rails. But the idea remains the same: a more compact, accurized rifle with a variable optic is pretty neat to me.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:30:05 AM EDT
          [#43]
          Also agreed with cmc's analysis above.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:45:57 AM EDT
          [#44]
          Originally Posted By cmcflex:

There are recces like the "Dam Neck" recce that uses a Lilja barrel with KAC FF RAS long and those that use M4/M4A1 barrels and FF RAS (medium or long). In both cases, these use BE Meyers M249F flash hiders which are not designed to work with an Ops suppressor; I suspect these are not intended to be suppressed. Also note that there are HK416-based recces that fit this ilk. These rifles are generally what I think of as a "SEAL recce," though that term is somewhat nebulous.

I think we have seen others that use some sort of 16" barrel with a LaRue Tactical 13.2" handguard and KAC NT4 flash hider (the pic of which I'm thinking seemed to be an Army operator but I can't be sure). I believe Wes of MSTN has stated that LaRue 13.2 handguards were also used on SEAL-type recces.

If your plan is to use your Ops suppressor for a "recce" then you have some other options, none of which in my opinion requires a Lilja M4 barrel (see previous paragraph). There are some good examples on previous pages. If I was going to build one today around my Ops suppressor (e.g., a Mod H), I would probably opt for a Compass Lake Douglas barrel, but that's just me and not based on much other than choosing a company that has had military contracts (though not necessarily for that barrel) and a good reputation for quality/durabilty.

That is one of challenges to building these guns since it's more of a concept than specific set of components like SOPMOD-spec gun.
          View Quote

Patriot_man and usnguns version's are honestly probably my favorite and what I'm aiming to go for. I already have a KAC FF RAS Long I just acquired so that is what I'll be using. As far as barrel's go I have noticed that if I wanted to contour to an ops collar and brake I would have to send the Lilja to adco so it would be easier to just buy a Compass Lake Douglas or the like. In term's of suppressor's the AEM5 I mainly bought for a MK12 build so it doesn't have to be used on the Recce just thought It would be convenient to be able to run on both. I could always purchase a different suppressor, just not sure what else is used. I agree though, other clone's are more said and done and it's just habit of whoring out EE. I think the 'different' aspect of the RECCE is what's most appealing to me. Thank's for the info brother.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:51:14 AM EDT
          [#45]

Patriot_man and usnguns version's are honestly probably my favorite and what I'm aiming to go for. I already have a KAC FF RAS Long I just acquired so that is what I'll be using. As far as barrel's go I have noticed that if I wanted to contour to an ops collar and brake I would have to send the Lilja to adco so it would be easier to just buy a Compass Lake Douglas or the like. In term's of suppressor's the AEM5 I mainly bought for a MK12 build so it doesn't have to be used on the Recce just thought It would be convenient to be able to run on both. I could always purchase a different suppressor, just not sure what else is used. I agree though, other clone's are more said and done and it's just habit of whoring out EE. I think the 'different' aspect of the RECCE is what's most appealing to me. Thank's for the info brother.
          View Quote

I've got a CLE Douglas Recon barrel and it's a nice shooter. Never cared for the carbine gas on the Lilja. I think the AEM5 is a great recce can and makes for a slick build when tucked up close to the FF RAS. Mine can't get here soon enough.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:59:06 AM EDT
          [#46]
          Originally Posted By Outrider:

I've got a CLE Douglas Recon barrel and it's a nice shooter. Never cared for the carbine gas on the Lilja. I think the AEM5 is a great recce can and makes for a slick build when tucked up close to the FF RAS. Mine can't get here soon enough.
          View Quote

I'll check out the CLE Douglas, I saw them on High caliber sales too. Yeah, the AEM5 look's pretty slick flushed up to the FF RAS. That's why I sent off for a extra SBR Colt lower. Plan on chopping it later on. I hate the waiting game.

Well as of now I have bought and acquired: KAC FF RAS Long, NF 2.5-10x32 (had on hand), NF rings, Sopmod stock, BUIS. If I could source a damn Wilcox mount I'd be happy as hell. I'll try to decide on a barrel today I suppose.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
          [#47]

View Quote View All Quotes
          View All Quotes

I have a 1-4x and wish it was a top end 6x...
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:00:52 PM EDT
          [#48]
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:35:00 PM EDT
          [#49]

View Quote View All Quotes
          View All Quotes

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I have all parts needed for the Dam Neck recce recently except the barrel. The Lilja seems the way to go (as that was my motivation), but I'm put off by its 0.080 gas port and I'm not sure if I should get it bead blasted, KG gun coated, or just leave as is.

I have a Mk12 upper for my 12th Model but I also wouldn't mind having another upper for it. The Holland seems to be the easiest option to piece together, but it's probably cheaper just to get the Lilja and go from there (plus an adjustable gas block).

I suppose it's possible that Crane profiled Lilja barrels for the Ops cans but I wouldn't know.

I recall Glass1 from the Holland thread was at one point selling a recce upper built for him by Navy armorers. I wonder if he ever got rid of it and whether he has additional info about it (e.g., port size, coatings, suppressor profiling). It might be worth an IM.

The CLE Douglas is pretty affordable and it can be ordered bead blasted or coated which saves a step and time. But it is also better suited as is for a Holland-type build. Decisions decisions.
          Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:22:16 PM EDT
          [#50]

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I have all parts needed for the Dam Neck recce recently except the barrel. The Lilja seems the way to go (as that was my motivation), but I'm put off by its 0.080 gas port and I'm not sure if I should get it bead blasted, KG gun coated, or just leave as is.

I have a Mk12 upper for my 12th Model but I also wouldn't mind having another upper for it. The Holland seems to be the easiest option to piece together, but it's probably cheaper just to get the Lilja and go from there (plus an adjustable gas block).

I suppose it's possible that Crane profiled Lilja barrels for the Ops cans but I wouldn't know.

I recall Glass1 from the Holland thread was at one point selling a recce upper built for him by Navy armorers. I wonder if he ever got rid of it and whether he has additional info about it (e.g., port size, coatings, suppressor profiling). It might be worth an IM.

The CLE Douglas is pretty affordable and it can be ordered bead blasted or coated which saves a step and time. But it is also better suited as is for a Holland-type build. Decisions decisions.
          View Quote

I bought that upper from him.  It came with a bead blasted Lilja and a KAC NT4 flash hider.  I swapped it for a Triple Tap and then a BE Meyers.

Page / 219
          Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
          AR Sponsor: bravocompany
          Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
          Top Top